Profile for J. A. KONRATH > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 128

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. A. KONRATH "Thriller Author" RSS Feed (Chicago, IL USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Samsung UN85S9 85-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV
Samsung UN85S9 85-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV
Price: $39,997.99
5 used & new from $25,997.55

5.0 out of 5 stars 3-Dynamite!!!, April 17, 2014
The 3D on this TV is so incredible the images leapt right off the screen and then went to my bank and drained my entire checking account.

Which brings up an addtional feature not previously mentioned: after getting this television I lost 40 pounds, because I can no longer afford food.

But I still believe that this is the very best thing you can do with your life's savings, other than making a big mountain out of cash and setting it on fire.

Daughter needs an operation which I can't afford, but I'm OK because now when I watch Golden Girls I can count Bea Arthur's pores.

This TV has more definition than a dictionary.

I now know how many nasal hairs Rutger Hauer has.

I'm going to get a second one for my bedroom, right after my kidney sells on eBay.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2014 4:18 PM PDT

Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (Criterion Collection) (Blu-ray + DVD)
Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (Criterion Collection) (Blu-ray + DVD)
DVD ~ Shintaro Katsu
Price: $119.99
26 used & new from $98.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy s*** what is wrong with me?, November 26, 2013
Ok, so I bought this Criterion blue-ray boxset for $200.

I haven't watched it yet. How could I? It's 40,000 hours of content, and I just got it yesterday. Unless I were able to warp space and time, I couldn't have gotten through more than a few movies.

So why am I leaving this review?

Because I'm wondering what is going on in my head.

I love chambara. I love Zatoichi.

But do I love Zatoichi enough to give up eating, sleeping, and working for a few weeks straight, which is how long it would take to watch all of these movies and supplements?

I have a job. A family. Stuff to do. Going on a samurai movie binge would probably make me neglect certain responsibilities, such as parenting. And personal hygiene.

So I've decided that I shouldn't get started watching what (no doubt) are some excellent transfers of classic Japanese action cinema, seminal in storytelling, fight choreography, and cinematography.

Instead, I'm going to review the cardboard box the blu-ray discs came in.

It's a colorful, sturdy box, with nice graphics. A hardcover book with notes about the films is included, which I don't have time to read.

Someday, hopefully before I die, I'll watch some, or perhaps even all, of these movies. But I doubt it.

Until then, I'm happy looking at the sturdy, colorful box sitting on my shelf. Just knowing it is there makes me happy.

Congrats, Criterion, on another terrific release.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2013 11:26 AM PST

Philips 431643 Hue Personal Wireless Lighting, Starter Pack, Frustration Free
Philips 431643 Hue Personal Wireless Lighting, Starter Pack, Frustration Free
Price: $192.99
3 used & new from $158.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, March 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My inner technogeek loved the idea of controlling my house lights using my iPhone and iPad, and that geek is very satisfied with this set.

How it works is really cool. You put the three hue light bulbs in sockets (I have three lights in my living room so this is perfect, and then you can turn them on and off using an iPhone ap.

But it gets better. You can also dim them, all at once, or separately.

But it gets better. Using a digital picture (either one of your own, or one included in the ap) you can change to color of the lights. Got a pic of you scuba diving? You can tap on your pic and the hue light will match that color.

In other words, you can change these three bulbs to any color you want, simply by touching spots on pictures on your phone. So you can change the mood of your room to match a picture you took. Flowers, sunsets, spring foliage, a box of crayons--the light will match any color you touch.

There are also some preset settings, for reading, relaxing, concentrating, and saving energy. It was incredible easy to set up (three steps, took sixty seconds tops.)

Cons: I'd like to be able to use this away from home, as it only works via wifi. It would be nice if I could control my lights via 4G, so I could turn them on and off when I wasn't home. There is a way to set times for them to go on and off, but it doesn't have as much versatility as I'd like. Also, at $100 a bulb, these are pretty expensive. Especially if you have a big house.

That said, I'll hold out hope that Philips updates their ap, and I'm really enjoying this system. Recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2013 11:37 PM PDT

Philips Norelco QC5570/40 Do-It-Yourself Hair Clipper Plus
Philips Norelco QC5570/40 Do-It-Yourself Hair Clipper Plus
Price: $36.99
18 used & new from $32.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth It, March 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I hate manscaping. Hate hate hate. I only have a beard because of my aversion to shaving.

I've had many beard trippers and clippers in the past, with many different attachments, but they never made trimming any better or easier.

That said, I really like the QC5570. It is easy to hold, the blade swivels so I can use both hands and get harder-to-reach spots, and the adjustable trimmer is intuitive and accurate. Beard, sideburns, stache, and even eyebrows if needed, are all easy to trim, and result in a uniform length.

I've used it eight times and haven't had to recharge it yet. Recommended.

Super Soaker Switch Shot Blaster
Super Soaker Switch Shot Blaster
Offered by aroberts317
Price: $26.99
26 used & new from $18.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Needed, March 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Our whole family loves super soaker squirt guns, and we have many. But the pain in the butt is the refilling. Trying to fit a big, bulky gun under the tiny bathroom sink faucet to refill is cumbersome, and takes forever.

Enter the switch shot. Like a machine gun, the magazine is removable for reloading. We also picked up an extra drum water clip Super Soaker Nerf Domination Drum Water Clip which works great.

I love getting my wife wet.

Passion Natural Water-Based Lubricant - 55 Gallon
Passion Natural Water-Based Lubricant - 55 Gallon
Offered by Beavers Boners and Beyond
Price: $1,025.00
11 used & new from $909.73

953 of 1,003 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Good Lube, But...., February 16, 2013
I'm surprised by the high price. It would be cheaper if they sold it in bulk. I'll wait until they release a three pack.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2014 2:34 PM PST

VIZIO Co-Star Stream Player With Google TV - VAP430
VIZIO Co-Star Stream Player With Google TV - VAP430
Offered by STL PRO, Inc.
Price: $141.99
10 used & new from $50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Does What It Claims, December 5, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While surfing the web on TV will never be as simple as using a computer, the Vizio comes close to that same ease.

Pluses: Easy to set up, can stream Amazon Prime movies and Netflix, among others, the Google browser works great.

Minuses: The touchpad is a bit sensitive and takes some getting used to. The keyboard is a bit small, but still much faster than TV browsers with no keyboard.

Conclusion: For the price, you can't go wrong.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2012 10:18 AM PST

RCA WP2UWR USB Wall Plate
RCA WP2UWR USB Wall Plate
Offered by Luuki_Luuki
Price: $9.15
64 used & new from $5.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Works As Advertised, December 5, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Have this in my kitchen, when all of my appliances make free electrical outlets scarce. Since my family has a ridiculous amount of USB devices, this was a quick and easy solution to charging more than one while still leaving an outlet free.

Works fine, just by plugging in. Low profile, attractive, affordable. FTW and recommended.

Philips LP02B6LPB1 Blue/Black Oversized White LED PenLight
Philips LP02B6LPB1 Blue/Black Oversized White LED PenLight
Price: $21.93
5 used & new from $14.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Insanely Bright, October 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Sturdy, well constructed, ergonomic and fits well in hand. The LED penlight mode is fine, but no more impressive than my mini Maglite. But the side lights are incredible. They light up a whole room, and hurt your eyes. I've never seen a better lumen output coming from just three AAA batteries. You can work outside, in the dark, without carrying a bulky worklight with you.

If you're looking for a penlight/light stick, this is pricier than many, but worth it. Recommended.

Acoustic Research Portable Wireless Outdoor Speaker (AWS53S)
Acoustic Research Portable Wireless Outdoor Speaker (AWS53S)
Price: $96.49
18 used & new from $79.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, October 4, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was looking for an outdoor speaker to stream music from my computer while I'm in my back yard. I've got Apple Airport Express jacks throughout my house, and was considering something similar for outside. But I have neighbors and can't play my tunes too loud while outdoors, and a combination of Airport and speakers would have cost much more than the AWS53.

So after getting this, I hooked the base up to my computer by plugging in the mini cable to my headphone outlet, brought the speaker onto my deck (50 feet away and through closed doors), and was able to listen to music immediately. It's loud and clear enough to meet my needs, and I use my iPhone and the Apple Remote app to stream my whole collection. I can also hook up any device to the speaker directly.

Is it loud and clear? No. I have Bose throughout my house, and those are much better quality. But Bose and Apple are pricey, and this unit is inexpensive. It may not be for audiophiles or those who want big sound, but for my tiny porch it works fine. I'd recommend it to those with neighbors who complain when the sounds get too loud.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13