Profile for Kelly Klepfer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 673

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kelly Klepfer RSS Feed (Iowa)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tiffany Girl: A Novel
Tiffany Girl: A Novel
by Deeanne Gist
Price: $11.40
61 used & new from $7.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming Historical, May 31, 2015
This review is from: Tiffany Girl: A Novel (Paperback)
Deanne Gist's Tiffany Girls is a charming peek into the past. I had never heard of Tiffany Girls and was fascinated by what Gist's research uncovered. Not only was the world of stained glass making interesting, but also the other tidbits and horrors she uncovered during the time of the World Fair. Bustle pinching? The life and times of boarding houses. House kits. So, so many interesting stories are woven into Flossie's plot.

If you love a well written historical give this one a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I received a review copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

The Inn at Ocean's Edge (A Sunset Cove Novel)
The Inn at Ocean's Edge (A Sunset Cove Novel)
by Colleen Coble
Price: $12.32
75 used & new from $7.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Beach Read, May 24, 2015
Colleen Coble has crafted quite the twisted tale in this novel.

Claire Dellamare, high powered heiress, steps into a world that feels freakishly familiar when she surprises her father to help him close on an important deal. After a panic attack upon entering the lobby of the Hotel Tourmaline Claire convinces herself that she is overreacting. But then the details about her past begin to unfurl. When she witnesses a murder that few believe even happened she finds herself a suspect and in danger. The mystery deepens as does the danger. Claire finds herself trusting Luke, the handsome local who wonders if she has suppressed memories important to him as well as her own memories of what happened that fateful night his mother disappeared.

This is a fast moving novel with intense drama within the first few pages. The tension does not let up as the reader finds out more and more surrounding the mystery that seems to tie Claire to Luke's mother.

I generally like my fiction to move a little slower paced, but found I was compelled to go along for the ride. As I tried to put all the puzzle pieces together with the mystery of what happened to Claire, I got caught up with the characters as they helped me meet my goal. This novel would be a terrific summer read. Even on a sandy beach, if you dare.

Sync or Swim: A Fable About Workplace Communication and Coming Together in a Crisis
by Paul White
Price: $16.80
61 used & new from $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Valuable if ..., May 18, 2015
Sync or Swim is business fable model of what the Five Love Languages/personality type awareness can do in a professional setting. The characters in this quick read are animals with personality types that are characteristic of the portrayed animal. In addition, each character has distinct triggers that can either be flipped by a shrewd, respectful manager to bring more energy and teamwork, or switched off by a clumsy or clueless one.

This clever, simple book offers effective information. However, even though the wisdom in the book is simply explained it's up to individuals within the company to care enough to utilize the methods suggested and unselfish enough to recognize that everyone is needed to pull off the big, ultimate goal. I don't see it being useful as a tool dispensed to all leaders in an organization unless the upper management does some of the work to prepare the ground for acceptance by the middle managers and employees.

The simplicity of the book could be a huge asset in companies or organizations where there is resistance to read heavier how-to-books. This fable could be a great small group tool for any organization that desires to work cohesively to pull off big or important projects. I received a review copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Every Waking Moment
Every Waking Moment
by Chris Fabry
Price: $10.39
95 used & new from $2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Novel About Life and Loss, May 12, 2015
This review is from: Every Waking Moment (Paperback)
I love fiction centering around anti-heroes. By that I mean the heroes who don't really fit the mold created for us. No capes, no spandex brightly colored jumpsuits, just real, flawed people.

Treha is one such hero. A girl with a drive to find someone to love her, a disability and a mind that somehow connects with others in an extremely unusual way. As she struggles to find her own story she inspires others to tell or refine their own. The setting for most of the story is a nursing home where life and death are all too real.

A budding filmmaker finds that his story is in the story of others as well and that Treha holds a key to the one piece of information not available to him. The nursing home administrator discovers that she has less control over her life than she had realized and struggles to find hope in her bleak future.

This is a heartbreaking but very hopeful story that left me with a satisfied sigh when I turned the last page.

I was given an advanced reader copy of this book for an honest review. Under no obligation to give it a good review, I held onto it until I could get it read because of the intriguing plot line. I'm glad I did.

Reservations for Two: A Novel of Fresh Flavors and New Horizons (Two Blue Doors)
by Hillary Manton Lodge
Price: $11.26
59 used & new from $7.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty for Several Reasons, May 5, 2015
There are multiple reasons I liked this novel. The basic plot line involves a young woman, Juliette, who is firmly entrenched in Portland. Her very ill mother is there, and she and her brother are opening a restaurant together. However, her heart is entangled with a perfect man cross country. Neil is truly, truly so close to who she needs, and if he’d consider relocating to Portland he’d be the one.

Before the restaurant opens Juliette heads to shop for wares and suppliers in France and Italy. Both these food capitals of the world also are peppered with relatives of Juliettes. Neil surprises Juliette and joins her on her journey. While in France Juliette finds letters written by and to her grandmother and she takes them with her.

Once home Juliette must face the reality of life, her mother’s condition is worsening, absence from Neil is breaking her heart, and opening a new business adds stress upon stress. What kind of security or even hope does her future hold?

Juliette wasn’t my favorite female character. Her indecisiveness and anxiety levels were frustrating a time or two. However, the story that unfolded in the letters to and from Grandmother Mireille was fascinating. I also loved the foodie details and Lodge includes a Baker’s Dozen plus recipes in the book. Historical fiction is delightful and I'm a sucker for the romance of Europe, especially France and Italy so those snippets were fabulous as well. The family connectedness between Juliette and her siblings and parents was a great touch and brought them to life. I didn’t the first book in the series and didn’t feel lost or buried under catch-up details that might have been important from book one. The melancholic faith that colored the illness and the family’s response was a human, pensive undertone that really added depth to the fiction and more than made up for Juliette’s anxiety and indecisiveness. Finally, I appreciated Juliette’s growth in the novel. If any of those areas are hot buttons for you consider this novel for your summer reading (and cooking) enjoyment. I was provided a reader copy by the publicist in exchange for an honest review.

Whiskers of the Lion: An Amish-Country Mystery
Whiskers of the Lion: An Amish-Country Mystery
by P. L. Gaus
Price: $11.83
78 used & new from $6.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Mystery, But Maybe Not A Stand Alone., April 28, 2015
I have not read any of the other books in the Amish-Country Mystery series so please keep that in mind. I feel like I got insight into characters by descriptions and interactions but also felt like I missed some of the hearts of the people involved. This is likely due to not getting to know them in earlier books. Therefore, I found myself not caring about them or their motivation.

The Amish details were intriguing and I always find myself curious about plain or simple living. Fans of Amish fiction need to take note that there is quite a bit of detail.

As far as the mystery goes, there is quite a bit of twisting and sleight of hand. The author added some elements that weren't fully veiled, others were surprising.

Overall, I'd recommend starting at the beginning of the series rather than reading this as a stand alone. If you are already smitten with the series I imagine you will find much to like. Amish literature fans need to know there is a little intensity that might make this not appropriate for chickens or children.

Words of Conviction
Words of Conviction
by Linda J. White
Price: $13.17
48 used & new from $0.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Police Procedural, April 15, 2015
This review is from: Words of Conviction (Paperback)
I love police procedurals, I read them, I watch them, oh yeah, I'm a fan.

Linda White has a former FBI husband who steers her authentically down the path of her creative investigation in Words of Conviction. Nice. Authenticity is a major plus. New to me was the psycholinguist aspect heavily playing out in this cat and mouse story. A psycholinguist uses skill and probability to profile and to determine what words and word usage share about the person communicating.

The story unfolds as a powerful senator's small daughter is kidnapped. McKenzie Graham is on the case to find little Zoe before a just discovered health issue puts her life further in danger. On top of finding the kidnapper, McKenzie has to fight for respect among her peers, especially John Crowfeather. It doesn't help that she's drawn to his brooding good looks and strong, silent persona.

Tensions ramp up as the tale draws to a close. McKenzie draws the kidnapper into a carefully woven web. But as they get closer to the kidnapper's location things begin to go south. Time ticks away as the story twists and turns.

Fans of police procedurals should find quite a bit to like in this novel. There is a strong spiritual thread within the story line as well. Child endangerment and some violence might be a deal breaker for more sensitive folks.

I was sent an Advanced Reader Copy to read and review.

Nature Breeze Cambridge-41 Crochet Lace Up Oxford Shoes SEA GREEN (8.5)
Nature Breeze Cambridge-41 Crochet Lace Up Oxford Shoes SEA GREEN (8.5)
Offered by Room of Fashion

4.0 out of 5 stars Got a Great Price and These Are Cute and Comfortable..., April 6, 2015
I got a great price on these shoes. The green color is not the same green throughout. The lace is a lighter shade than the accent/reinforcement sections and there is a blue/green, almost teal liner over the toes that peeks out through the lace. These worked perfect with a multi green/blue skirt I have and are cute with jeans. The soles are slightly padded but without strong arch support. They are comfortable and I've worn them a couple times for full days. I did check out the information on how they fit and took the suggestions to heart and they ended up fitting exactly as I expected.

Casio Inc. CTK2400 PPK 61-Key Premium Portable Keyboard Package with Samson HP30 Headphones, Stand and Power Supply
Price: $129.95
22 used & new from $110.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For What I Need at a Great Price., April 6, 2015
I'm not a super techie so I've not explored all the bells and whistles on this bad boy. However, for my needs it's perfect. I am using it to practice while I'm taking lessons and I was looking for a) simple to use b) affordable c) authentic piano sound d) volume adjustment e) portability. I'm very happy with all of these. Pushing the power button gives me basic piano, exactly what I wanted. Affordability is absolutely a plus here. I looked at used keyboards on Craig's List and they were going for $50 to $75.00. For $50 more I got free shipping, a stand and headphones. I have authentic piano sound (for my purposes) and don't have to get a piano tuned. The volume is very adjustable and there are headphones so it's perfect. It's lightweight and portable and has a good solid stand. I wouldn't want to haul it too often but I could if I needed to.

Easy Street Women's Sterling Flat,New Navy,8 WW US
Easy Street Women's Sterling Flat,New Navy,8 WW US
Offered by FootSmart
Price: $49.95
4 used & new from $48.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Got a Great Deal and Comfortable., April 6, 2015
These are comfortable and fit a wee bit big. The heel is nice and cushy but supportive. They aren't super fashionista cute but I was going for comfortable and navy. Good medium navy color.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20