Profile for Kelly Klepfer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 679

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kelly Klepfer RSS Feed (Iowa)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Advocate
The Advocate
by Randy Singer
Price: $10.62
77 used & new from $1.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Undertaking. Skillful Legal Fiction Set in Ancient Rome, July 26, 2015
This review is from: The Advocate (Paperback)
This is a little bit of a different direction for Randy Singer. Kind of a blast to the past. I can't even imagine the kind of research he did to put this epic tale together. Not only is it a legal thriller which he does so well...he transports the reader back to the days of Rome in all it's bloody glory. Caligula, Tiberius, Nero and all the very hedonistic lives they lived. Oh, and just to raise the challenge a little he fictionalizes Biblical characters. Yes, Luke and the Apostle Paul, and, oh, Jesus.

Now onto the plot, conspiracies, murder, political unrest, gods, gladiators. He has included it all. Theophilus, the advocate, experiences both sides of the law and takes on the best the Caesars have to offer in the legal arena.

Chicken warning on this one. It's a heavy read and the setting is brutal. However, I recommend it as a fascinating what-if story set in a crazy world.

This book was sent to me by the marketing department and sat on my shelf for quite awhile. Sometimes I just have to be in the mood to dive into a deep historical.

The Story Keeper (A Carolina Heirlooms Novel)
The Story Keeper (A Carolina Heirlooms Novel)
by Lisa Wingate
Price: $9.49
50 used & new from $4.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Satisfying Wingate Novel, July 16, 2015
Yes. I am a fan of Lisa Wingate. The Story Keeper contains all of the reasons Wingate is such a satisfying author. The story within a story is something she does so well. This tool brings her characters to life because they are discovering some event from the past that forces them to deal with the present and dredge up and work through some of their current struggles.

But even if Wingate didn't use this method in her fiction, I'm pretty sure she'd still write great characters. In this particular story the reader gets to meet Jen Gibbs. Jen has big dreams as an editor and finally has a toe in the door of a small but prestigious house. A portion of a manuscript shows up on Jen's desk one day and rocks her world. She starts chasing a bunny trail, but it leads somewhere she thought she'd left behind and bolted the door on. Facing her past, and scrambling to grasp her future she risks job, reputation and comfort to chase the story to the end.

You know. If you aren't reading books by Lisa Wingate, I just have to ask why not?

Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife
Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife
by Eben Alexander III M. D.
Price: $9.25
1006 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing and Miraculous Story, July 7, 2015
When I first heard about this book I was intrigued. I work in the medical field and I am fascinated with the workings of the human body. I've seen so many instances where the body can literally die over something as seemingly insignificant as a urinary tract infection. And I've seen people rally and overcome multi system shut down. The idea that a black and white clinician experienced something that opened his world to color really felt like a must read.

The writing is great. Dr. Alexander paints of picture of who he was and who he has become since his experience. The medical aspects were easy to follow without being too clinical. His experience with his coma was amazing and it is a miracle he's alive today. The statistics were chilling.

I can't say I can embrace all of Dr. Alexander's experiences as absolute truth, but I'm glad I read his account and feel that it would interest anyone who is interested in near death experiences.

Mstechcorp - For [ Motorola Moto X (2nd.Gen 2014) / X2 / X+1 ] - Credit Card Bill Holder Pu Leather Wallet Card Flip Open Pocket Case Cover Pouch - Includes [Car Charger ] + [Touch Screen Stylus] + [2 Data Cables] + [Hands Free Earphone] (HOLSTER BLUE) (COLORFUL LEAVES)
Offered by 6goodeals
Price: $13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal, Super Cute Case, June 16, 2015
This set was a terrific deal. Love the case and the bonus accessories made it all the more attractive. My daughter loved it, too, and ordered one for her iPhone 5. Copy cat! If there is a complaint it is that the buttons on the side are a little harder to find and push. But as it's loosening up with use that seems to be getting better.

Price of Privilege
Price of Privilege
by Jessica Dotta
Price: $9.91
66 used & new from $4.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich and Satisfying Conclusion to an Epic Tale..., June 16, 2015
This review is from: Price of Privilege (Paperback)
Jessica Dotta ended her epic story ably and left me feeling satisfied with the outcome. If you've read the previous books I think you will agree. I wouldn't start with this one if you haven't. There is much relationship building in the previous books. But the good news is if you haven't read any of them you don't have to wait like the rest of us. You can binge and you will want to. Dotta makes every chapter a page turner.

I was really surprised by a huge twist in the final book. But once I got over the shock and sorrow it was one of those events that made the ending work for me. I was pulled in too many directions and needed some closure with it.

If you love historicals and excellent writing you need to read this series.

Hutterite Diaries: Wisdom from My Prairie Community (Plainspoken, Book Three)
Hutterite Diaries: Wisdom from My Prairie Community (Plainspoken, Book Three)
by Linda Maendel
Price: $10.57
38 used & new from $5.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Anecdotal Peek Into the Lives of Plain Living, June 9, 2015
I was given the opportunity to read and review Hutterite Diaries by the publicist. Even though a copy was provided I wasn't obligated to give a favorable review.

I was looking forward to reading this little (150 pages) book because I have a strong curiosity about the plain life. Maybe its because I loved the Little House series when I was a girl. have also been a little curious about communal living. I guess my inner hippie thinks it would be kind of cool to share chores, meals and lives with like minded people.

I hadn't even heard of Hutterites until I read Mary-Ann Kirby's I Am Hutterite. The similarities and differences to the Amish are fascinating. Some Hutterite communities wear polka dot head coverings. Meals and many chores are done in community and the members of the community become family.

Though the book is small and more anecdotal rather than inner thought style diary, I learned quite a bit about the lives and history of the Hutterites. As a matter of fact, I discovered that the Hutterites have and old connection to my state. The Iowa Amish helped supply items and the polka dot material came from there. I'm just a hundred and change miles from the Amana Colonies. I may have to go and visit again.

There is a question and answer section as well that answered a few questions I had. There is still a part of me that thinks I'd love to spend a few weeks absorbing the life with a Hutterite community. If you are intrigued by plain living or love religious history give this book a peek.

Tiffany Girl: A Novel
Tiffany Girl: A Novel
by Deeanne Gist
Price: $12.01
50 used & new from $5.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming Historical, May 31, 2015
This review is from: Tiffany Girl: A Novel (Paperback)
Deanne Gist's Tiffany Girls is a charming peek into the past. I had never heard of Tiffany Girls and was fascinated by what Gist's research uncovered. Not only was the world of stained glass making interesting, but also the other tidbits and horrors she uncovered during the time of the World Fair. Bustle pinching? The life and times of boarding houses. House kits. So, so many interesting stories are woven into Flossie's plot.

If you love a well written historical give this one a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I received a review copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

The Inn at Ocean's Edge (A Sunset Cove Novel)
The Inn at Ocean's Edge (A Sunset Cove Novel)
by Colleen Coble
Price: $12.32
73 used & new from $5.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Beach Read, May 24, 2015
Colleen Coble has crafted quite the twisted tale in this novel.

Claire Dellamare, high powered heiress, steps into a world that feels freakishly familiar when she surprises her father to help him close on an important deal. After a panic attack upon entering the lobby of the Hotel Tourmaline Claire convinces herself that she is overreacting. But then the details about her past begin to unfurl. When she witnesses a murder that few believe even happened she finds herself a suspect and in danger. The mystery deepens as does the danger. Claire finds herself trusting Luke, the handsome local who wonders if she has suppressed memories important to him as well as her own memories of what happened that fateful night his mother disappeared.

This is a fast moving novel with intense drama within the first few pages. The tension does not let up as the reader finds out more and more surrounding the mystery that seems to tie Claire to Luke's mother.

I generally like my fiction to move a little slower paced, but found I was compelled to go along for the ride. As I tried to put all the puzzle pieces together with the mystery of what happened to Claire, I got caught up with the characters as they helped me meet my goal. This novel would be a terrific summer read. Even on a sandy beach, if you dare.

Sync or Swim: A Fable About Workplace Communication and Coming Together in a Crisis
by Paul White
Price: $13.29
46 used & new from $5.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Valuable if ..., May 18, 2015
Sync or Swim is business fable model of what the Five Love Languages/personality type awareness can do in a professional setting. The characters in this quick read are animals with personality types that are characteristic of the portrayed animal. In addition, each character has distinct triggers that can either be flipped by a shrewd, respectful manager to bring more energy and teamwork, or switched off by a clumsy or clueless one.

This clever, simple book offers effective information. However, even though the wisdom in the book is simply explained it's up to individuals within the company to care enough to utilize the methods suggested and unselfish enough to recognize that everyone is needed to pull off the big, ultimate goal. I don't see it being useful as a tool dispensed to all leaders in an organization unless the upper management does some of the work to prepare the ground for acceptance by the middle managers and employees.

The simplicity of the book could be a huge asset in companies or organizations where there is resistance to read heavier how-to-books. This fable could be a great small group tool for any organization that desires to work cohesively to pull off big or important projects. I received a review copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Every Waking Moment
Every Waking Moment
by Chris Fabry
Price: $10.59
84 used & new from $1.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Novel About Life and Loss, May 12, 2015
This review is from: Every Waking Moment (Paperback)
I love fiction centering around anti-heroes. By that I mean the heroes who don't really fit the mold created for us. No capes, no spandex brightly colored jumpsuits, just real, flawed people.

Treha is one such hero. A girl with a drive to find someone to love her, a disability and a mind that somehow connects with others in an extremely unusual way. As she struggles to find her own story she inspires others to tell or refine their own. The setting for most of the story is a nursing home where life and death are all too real.

A budding filmmaker finds that his story is in the story of others as well and that Treha holds a key to the one piece of information not available to him. The nursing home administrator discovers that she has less control over her life than she had realized and struggles to find hope in her bleak future.

This is a heartbreaking but very hopeful story that left me with a satisfied sigh when I turned the last page.

I was given an advanced reader copy of this book for an honest review. Under no obligation to give it a good review, I held onto it until I could get it read because of the intriguing plot line. I'm glad I did.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20