Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Profile for Bibliophile > Reviews

Bibliophile's Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bibliophile RSS Feed (Boston, MA)

Timex Ironman T59751 Midsize 30-Lap Digital Fitness Heart Rate Monitor Watch
Timex Ironman T59751 Midsize 30-Lap Digital Fitness Heart Rate Monitor Watch

3.0 out of 5 stars Product quality issues but nothing major., March 15, 2008
I've owned my monitor for one year. I don't know how I ever trained without one. That said, my monitor has also had some issues. The ring to hold the band in place became brittle and cracked/broke and came off several months ago. I now use a band of duct tape in its place. I have also had issues with its accuracy, but I find that I can fix it with a battery replacement in the chest strap (which if find to be so comfortable that I don't even feel it when I'm wearing it.) I can replace the battery myself, so that's a cheap fix. I use the monitor five days a week for 1 to 2 hours, so I'm not sure if having to replace the battery four times in a year is unreasonable or not. I can usually tell that the battery is dying when I start seeing Max HR 240 reads showing up. The chest strap MUST be wetted before you put it on if you hope to get it to read well. I have never had a problem with it picking up other signals from machines or other HR monitors. After reading other reviews, I do think that it's a good HR monitor provided that you don't mind the look of a little duct tape.

A Distant Magic
A Distant Magic
by Mary Jo Putney
Price: $24.95
51 used & new from $0.04

1.0 out of 5 stars Lazy writing!, August 18, 2007
This review is from: A Distant Magic (Hardcover)
Call me picky, but I get bored quick by stories that are written in the passive tense and tell me everything rather than show me things. This book is flat our boring. A Kiss of Fate was a great book, so I picked up the other guardian books with high hopes, but they're written so badly I have trouble believing that the same author crafted the first Guardian book. There's a story, but very little action to suck you in. Everything is passive tense and written in expository description. There's nothing left for the reader to imagine. Don't spend money on this book unless you're an would-be romance writer looking to learn what NOT to do... actually, it kind of gives hope to unpublished writers that if this woman can get such bad stuff to print, certainly anyone can. Bleck!

The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle
The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle
by Alwyn Cosgrove
109 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Science, but Too Wordy, March 18, 2007
First of all, I'm a woman, and this book is clearly not geared towards women. I've been lifting for 15 years, on and off. I take it very seriously and I really enjoy the sport. I was previously using "The Body Sculpting Bible for Women" by James Villepigue and Hugo Rivera. It's a very good book for beginner/intermediate lifters. It's concisely written, the authors take fitness seriously and explain the proper form and execution of all the exercises they introduce in the book. The workouts offer a fantastic starting point for lifters, but after 3 months, you're going to have to start developing your own to keep making progress. (A side note: "The Body Sculpting Bible for Women" is almost word for word identical to "The Body Sculpting Bible for Men." The same is true for the "Abs" books written by these authors, which makes me think that the books are ultimately more about making money than promoting the science of lifting. If you were left confused by the explanations or lack thereof in New Rules, try the Body Sculpting Bible.

The New Rules of Lifting is based on some very cutting edge research in muscle cell recovery. Turns out, you make the most gains for the time you invest if you work to exhaustion and give your muscle cells several days to recover! I was hugely sceptical of this idea as essentially a life long lifter. I was born and raised on the 3 lifting days with cardio days in between for a total of six days a week with one day off. No more. Two intense lifting days a week, well separated with each other. I do aerobic fitness training between lifting days using an ironman heartrate monitor, specifically to widen my range of aerobic fat-burning capacity. This is a very different goal than endurance training, which New Rules says can conflict with a serious weight training program.

Here is what I am most impressed with. New Rules sites many, many scientific studies to back up the advice given and it has a bibliography at the back of the book that can allow you to find and read those scientific studies for yourself.

Here is what I am least impressed with. This book could be half as long if the author would just cut out the "witty banter" which is sometimes amusing, and sometimes offensive. I understand that the book is geared towards men, and crude language in and of itself isn't my problem. I bought the book for the science and the technical advice. All the anecdotes and humorous asides just get in my way. That said, if you have the patience to wade through the unimportant jabber, the program itself is challenging and highly effective. If you are not a highly self-motivated person who is willing to work to physical exhaustion and be very soar afterwards, this may not be the book for you.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2014 2:30 PM PDT

The Body Sculpting Bible for Men
The Body Sculpting Bible for Men
by James C. Villepigue
145 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT for those just starting out., February 24, 2007
This book was extremely motivational for me. I was just getting started and it gave me what I needed to get excited, stay motivated, believe in what I was doing, and get results. I got great results, too, and that was just by following the workouts. I didn't alter my diet at all, and I'm not a health nut in my dietary habits. My energy levels sky rocketed and I really started to feel "good." I also started to notice how many people at the gym just sit around not doing much, or do too much with terrible form. This book teaches you great form and self discipline while working out.
As many others have pointed out, this book is not going to teach you anything new if you already know quite a bit about weight training or exercise physiology. But let's face it folks, the majority of people know very little about exercising, so for most people this book is a great resource.
I've been two years out of lifting (had a baby) and am getting back into it. I've pulled the book off the shelf to dig up the work-out's. Reading through the book a second time, however, I'm doing so with a more critical eye. I know a lot more about weight training and exercise physiology now, and though the authors give lots of factual-sounding explanations about hormones, muscle growth and muscle soreness, and nutrtional suppliments, they don't reference where they're getting their facts. That makes me uncomfortable. I want to know what studies their referencing when they talk about levels of growth hormone during workouts, or the effects of chromium picolonate. Misinformation has a wonderful way of being perpetuated accidentally and with good intentions. If no actual study is cited, I'm hesitant to take their word for it.
Still, the work-outs, as laid out in the book, are highly effective. I never got bored with them, because after 12 weeks I was familiar enough with lifting to start customizing my own routine with a variety of exercises while sticking to the general structure presented in the text. If you're looking for an excellent and effective routine, but you don't know enough about lifting to design your own, I recommend the text.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2007 7:57 AM PST

The Marriage Spell: A Novel
The Marriage Spell: A Novel
by Mary Jo Putney
66 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Falls flat, August 5, 2006
After reading A Kiss of Fate I had high hopes for this hard cover, but Mary Jo Putney's newest novel fell flat. There is no suspense, no tension, no conflict between characters. Everything is laid out and explained for the reader. It's a real snooze! Add to it that the author tells us what a character's personality is like, but doesn't have the character act appropriately. Jack Langdon despises magic? Well, he sure doesn't act like it. Even the "attraction" between the main characters is deflated and uninspired. In fact, this entire book is deflated and uninspired. It starts out like the next installment of Harry Potter, by the way. Don't waste your money.