Profile for Randy Given > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1031

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Randy Given RSS Feed (Manchester, CT USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Been a While
Been a While
Price: $8.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Funky, August 2, 2015
This review is from: Been a While (MP3 Music)
Was just listening to this album on my headphones and wondered if I'd reviewed it. Nope. It's a cool album. Very funky. My heads moving to the music, which usually means I like it. The vocals are good. The recording's good (bad recordings really stick out with these headphones). GIve it a listen.

Anthology
Anthology
Price: $3.99
52 used & new from $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Remaster is Worth It, August 2, 2015
This review is from: Anthology (Audio CD)
The new (2000 digital) remaster is an improvement. There may be some treble emphasis that could have been reduced just a tad, but there's a much improved background. The older version sounded muffled, as if some bits were dropped and sampled too slowly. The new version is much cleaner, although possibly a bit bright. The songs are classic and got too little airplay. If you already have the older version, the remaster is worth getting.

Passion, Grace & Fire
Passion, Grace & Fire
Price: $4.99
38 used & new from $3.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, August 2, 2015
This review is from: Passion, Grace & Fire (Audio CD)
This is a great album. The playing is so well articulated, I just feel clean while listening to it, like a fresh shower. It's very listenable, unlike some technically proficient pieces that just want to showcase technicality for its own sake. This one does it, as in passing, where one just enjoys the experience. I can easily see myself in a fine restaurant, an open field, a nice patio by the beach, and many other places.

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3)
A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3)
by George R. R. Martin
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.83
352 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Flow, July 25, 2015
The writing is smoother. I think the author is getting more into his groove. It just seems more polished.

I was glad that there were fewer times, but still some, where the author would go on and on. I mean, you don't have to list the whole village by name. That's the kind of fluff for middle school.

There was some more character development, but not much. Seems like there's only a little development right before the character is killed off.

I'm still frustrated by some of the Tolkien copycat, but there were more unique approaches in this book, it seems.

It's not likely someone would read this book on its own, so it's harder to judge it that way. Just seems a little plodding to me, just taking longer (i.e., more pages) to get there.

Sennheiser HD 800 Over-Ear Circum-Aural Dynamic Headphone
Sennheiser HD 800 Over-Ear Circum-Aural Dynamic Headphone
Offered by Dale Pro Audio
Price: $1,599.95
31 used & new from $1,250.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Experience, July 6, 2015
I love these headphones. They look large, but they're comfortable and you don't notice (unless lying down, where they can droop a little if not supported). I've listened for many hours straight and never got tired of them.

Some have reported an increase in the treble. I didn't notice that. It seems that it was a certain, older, serial number range. Mine wasn't in that list and it looks like newer/current models don't have that problem. I never heard it, so I can't speak to how pronounced it was. I was just glad to listen to the great sound.

Of course, you'll need a decent headphone amp. You can get some decent cheaper solid-state ones, but you'll need something. I went for a cheaper tube amp (Woo Audio WA7) and really liked the sound.

Unfortunately, you may find yourself spending a lot of money upgrading the recordings you own (higher sampling rates, remastered, etc.). I probably spent half the cost of the headphones before I knew. But, then I spent even more with new music that I was enjoying because of them. Money well spent, just giving a warning. Enjoy!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2015 11:40 PM PDT

Motorola DROID MAXX, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless)
Motorola DROID MAXX, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless)
9 used & new from $142.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a Little Too Big, July 6, 2015
I like this phone except that it's just a margin too big. While holding it, if I try to use my thumb to touch the top area of the screen, it's a hard reach. Lots of times I end up repositioning it or using the other hand. This seemed trivial for a while, until one time it slipped and fell and struck the side of metal, knocking a chip out of the side of it, but the glass was OK, so didn't replace it. I filed down the jagged edges so that it's still usable and not snagging on things. If it were just an eight of an inch shorter on each side....

I like having the longer battery life. However, it doesn't charge very quickly through a car adapter. While using it with mapping, after a couple hours it's drained to being unusable. I didn't have this problem with earlier smartphones (Motorola et al).

It's slim, which is nice. No more bubble back to get stuck in a pocket. The teflon texture back does help, so it's not slippery (except for the size issue mentioned earlier). The buttons are positioned well and haven't worn out yet (a problem I've had with several earlier phones).

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD with UltraViolet)
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD with UltraViolet)
DVD ~ Mark Wahlberg
Price: $13.00
78 used & new from $6.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Shot, July 6, 2015
Saw several time in theaters and several more times on Blu-Ray. This is an easy shot for being recommended. It's amazing that it's based on a true story, but just another data point in the truth-is-greater-than-fiction truism. Granted, there are some departures from the true story, but the spirit of the story seems to be intact. The acting is very good, the action is compelling, and the scenery is enticing. I look forward to seeing it yet again.

Captain Phillips (Two Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy)
Captain Phillips (Two Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Tom Hanks
Price: $9.99
96 used & new from $2.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Flick, July 5, 2015
I thought Hanks and crew did a really good job. I felt as if I were in the situation itself. It didn't seem like much of stretch from reality, like lots of competing based-on-a-true-story movies are. I'd say this rates pretty well as a Friday night movie or even a family movie, for more mature children.

Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (ME918LL/A)
Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (ME918LL/A)
Price: $179.99
20 used & new from $103.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Profile is Different at First, but Better Over Time, July 4, 2015
This seems to be a slight improvement to the previous generation. It seems more responsive, with things being a bit snappier. I can't tell overall bandwidth differences, though, because our cable bandwidth is capped (about 30Mbps) and testing (speedtest.net) shows it about the same as the previous generation.

The biggest change for me is the form factor. When first seeing it, I didn't think I'd like it. It seemed more prominent (I like things to be low profile -- quietly effective). I was worried about cable looking even uglier, sticking out from higher locations. However, once it place, it doesn't look that bad. Of course, it takes up less desktop space, which is nice, as long as it functions well and still looks nice.

No, it's not very configurable. But, that can be a strength as well if you just want it to set up quickly and work. Yes, I've done lots of router configuring in the past, but sometimes it's nice to just plug-and-go. I'm happy with this setup.

I haven't noticed any difference in range. I'd say the setup is a medium difficulty and it still works fine, not much different that the previous generation for the current demand.

Gravity (Blu-ray)
Gravity (Blu-ray)
DVD ~ Sandra Bullock
Price: $12.64
77 used & new from $4.17

3.0 out of 5 stars What's Up With That?, June 22, 2015
This review is from: Gravity (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
I don't get all the raves about this. It could easily be condensed into a 30-minute National Geographic episode with some science fiction thrown in. Maybe five minutes of it was significant. The cinematography is really nice, but I can Google some Hubble photos to get the same. Granted, it wasn't bad enough that I didn't watch the whole thing, but I'll probably never watch it a second time, which knocks it out of a five-star or even a four-star category.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20