Profile for Randy Given > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1027

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Randy Given RSS Feed (Manchester, CT USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sennheiser HD 800 Over-Ear Circum-Aural Dynamic Headphone
Sennheiser HD 800 Over-Ear Circum-Aural Dynamic Headphone
Price: $1,599.95
33 used & new from $1,089.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Experience, July 6, 2015
I love these headphones. They look large, but they're comfortable and you don't notice (unless lying down, where they can droop a little if not supported). I've listened for many hours straight and never got tired of them.

Some have reported an increase in the treble. I didn't notice that. It seems that it was a certain, older, serial number range. Mine wasn't in that list and it looks like newer/current models don't have that problem. I never heard it, so I can't speak to how pronounced it was. I was just glad to listen to the great sound.

Of course, you'll need a decent headphone amp. You can get some decent cheaper solid-state ones, but you'll need something. I went for a cheaper tube amp (Woo Audio WA7) and really liked the sound.

Unfortunately, you may find yourself spending a lot of money upgrading the recordings you own (higher sampling rates, remastered, etc.). I probably spent half the cost of the headphones before I knew. But, then I spent even more with new music that I was enjoying because of them. Money well spent, just giving a warning. Enjoy!

Motorola DROID MAXX, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless)
Motorola DROID MAXX, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless)
9 used & new from $130.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a Little Too Big, July 6, 2015
I like this phone except that it's just a margin too big. While holding it, if I try to use my thumb to touch the top area of the screen, it's a hard reach. Lots of times I end up repositioning it or using the other hand. This seemed trivial for a while, until one time it slipped and fell and struck the side of metal, knocking a chip out of the side of it, but the glass was OK, so didn't replace it. I filed down the jagged edges so that it's still usable and not snagging on things. If it were just an eight of an inch shorter on each side....

I like having the longer battery life. However, it doesn't charge very quickly through a car adapter. While using it with mapping, after a couple hours it's drained to being unusable. I didn't have this problem with earlier smartphones (Motorola et al).

It's slim, which is nice. No more bubble back to get stuck in a pocket. The teflon texture back does help, so it's not slippery (except for the size issue mentioned earlier). The buttons are positioned well and haven't worn out yet (a problem I've had with several earlier phones).

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD with UltraViolet)
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD with UltraViolet)
DVD ~ Mark Wahlberg
Price: $12.49
62 used & new from $7.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Shot, July 6, 2015
Saw several time in theaters and several more times on Blu-Ray. This is an easy shot for being recommended. It's amazing that it's based on a true story, but just another data point in the truth-is-greater-than-fiction truism. Granted, there are some departures from the true story, but the spirit of the story seems to be intact. The acting is very good, the action is compelling, and the scenery is enticing. I look forward to seeing it yet again.

Captain Phillips (Two Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy)
Captain Phillips (Two Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Tom Hanks
Price: $9.99
93 used & new from $3.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Flick, July 5, 2015
I thought Hanks and crew did a really good job. I felt as if I were in the situation itself. It didn't seem like much of stretch from reality, like lots of competing based-on-a-true-story movies are. I'd say this rates pretty well as a Friday night movie or even a family movie, for more mature children.

Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (ME918LL/A)
Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (ME918LL/A)
Price: $179.99
20 used & new from $119.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Profile is Different at First, but Better Over Time, July 4, 2015
This seems to be a slight improvement to the previous generation. It seems more responsive, with things being a bit snappier. I can't tell overall bandwidth differences, though, because our cable bandwidth is capped (about 30Mbps) and testing (speedtest.net) shows it about the same as the previous generation.

The biggest change for me is the form factor. When first seeing it, I didn't think I'd like it. It seemed more prominent (I like things to be low profile -- quietly effective). I was worried about cable looking even uglier, sticking out from higher locations. However, once it place, it doesn't look that bad. Of course, it takes up less desktop space, which is nice, as long as it functions well and still looks nice.

No, it's not very configurable. But, that can be a strength as well if you just want it to set up quickly and work. Yes, I've done lots of router configuring in the past, but sometimes it's nice to just plug-and-go. I'm happy with this setup.

I haven't noticed any difference in range. I'd say the setup is a medium difficulty and it still works fine, not much different that the previous generation for the current demand.

Gravity (Blu-ray)
Gravity (Blu-ray)
DVD ~ Sandra Bullock
Price: $12.29
79 used & new from $5.16

3.0 out of 5 stars What's Up With That?, June 22, 2015
This review is from: Gravity (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
I don't get all the raves about this. It could easily be condensed into a 30-minute National Geographic episode with some science fiction thrown in. Maybe five minutes of it was significant. The cinematography is really nice, but I can Google some Hubble photos to get the same. Granted, it wasn't bad enough that I didn't watch the whole thing, but I'll probably never watch it a second time, which knocks it out of a five-star or even a four-star category.

1408 (Widescreen Edition)
1408 (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ John Cusack
Price: $3.74
186 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Small Versions of "The Matrix" and "Inception", June 12, 2015
This review is from: 1408 (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
This has a touch of "The Matrix" and "Inception". Just touches, not on the same level by any means. It almost seems more like a made-for-TV movie. But, it's not bad. Be careful, you might have dreams about it. And it might impact the next time you sleep in a hotel room.

Flight (Two-Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy + UltraViolet)
Flight (Two-Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy + UltraViolet)
DVD ~ Denzel Washington
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $13.86
110 used & new from $2.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Stranger Than Fiction, June 12, 2015
The opening scene is overdone (too much skin and drugs). Yes, I get that it gets us set up to see this pilot's environment, but the shock has little value. It's so, well, 1970s.

Denzel does a really good job of getting us to walk in the pilot's shoes. It's funny how often truth is stranger than fiction. Our first reaction to news may get a second look, although it doesn't overlook the danger and criminality of actions.

It you're tired of hijackings in the air, give this a try.

Bobby Fischer Against The World
Bobby Fischer Against The World
DVD
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Some New Stuff, June 5, 2015
I'd heard mixed reviews about this, and that's about where I'd leave it. There's lots of good history to be seen here that you might not have seen elsewhere, so if you're a chess fan, it's worth seeing. It's sidesteps some of the typical controversy, which is good because that's been beaten to death.

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games
DVD
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-See for Being Contemporary, June 5, 2015
This is a must-see in order to stay relevant in discussions. It's certainly different, or maybe more of a kickback to what would have been expected 40 to 50 years ago, but brought up to date. That's not meant to malign it. It's intriguing and well acted. More "real" than most "reality" shows. Lots of good acting. After all the hype, it's easy to forget that. If you haven't seen it, put it near the top of your list to see next.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20