Profile for Randy Given > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 926

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Randy Given RSS Feed (Manchester, CT USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Monster Platinum Ultra HDMI Cable - 4ft (140697)
Monster Platinum Ultra HDMI Cable - 4ft (140697)
Offered by Monster LLC
Price: $59.95
6 used & new from $59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Work great. Are more pliable than I feared, July 22, 2014
They work great. They're more pliable than I feared. The connection is solid, but not impossible to insert/remove. I wish they were a foot shorter (3ft or 3.3ft/1m), but these are still better than the 6ft ones being replaced.

I know many of the arguments about a cable-is-just-a-cable, but there's some evidence to the contrary, even for digital high-frequency like these. More so for audio cable (for high-end systems and good ears, which my own electrical test results substantiated), so I'm definitely erring on the cautious (i.e., probably over-paying) side, but they're worth it to me.

A Clockwork Orange [Blu-ray]
A Clockwork Orange [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Malcolm McDowell
Offered by MEDIAMANIA
Price: $7.58
90 used & new from $2.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Ultra-Violence, rather, Ultra-Lacking, April 14, 2014
What a waste of time. I wondered why I'd never seen this "classic", now I know. It's a waste of time. Being silly doesn't qualify something as worth watching. Oh, sure, there were bits here and there that were good commentaries on society and its double-standards, but it could have been done in so many better ways. And many have. The shock approach is so, well, 1970s. Ah, well, at least that's behind me. On to some real classics....

Spaceballs (25th Anniversary Edition) [Blu-ray]
Spaceballs (25th Anniversary Edition) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Rick Ducommun
Price: $10.16
67 used & new from $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a Fan of Parodies, But This One's Pretty Good, March 27, 2014
I'm not a big fan of parodies, but this one's pretty good. Most of it spoofs "Star Wars", of course, but some "Star Trek" and bits of "Indiana Jones", "Planet of the Apes", and "Alien". It's watchable and an OK movie for pizza night (maybe don't eat during the scenes with Pizza the Hut, but they're tastefully done). The acting is pretty good and only an occasional awkward pause for effect. I hadn't seen it in a long time but yesterday someone mentioned "going plaid", from the movie, so I had to watch it again.

Splinterheads
Splinterheads
DVD ~ Thomas Middleditch
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $19.88
24 used & new from $2.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun ... and has Geocaching, February 10, 2014
This review is from: Splinterheads (DVD)
I originally heard of this because of the geocaching. Yes, there are a couple things that aren't quite accurate, but it's very close and certainly gets at the heart of geocaching.

This romantic comedy is worth watching as just that. The acting is very good and draws us into their world. It's nice to have a feel-good movie that's not too mushy.

The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable (J-B Lencioni Series)
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable (J-B Lencioni Series)
Price: $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Different Approach That Works, February 10, 2014
There are only a few "fable" approaches that have seemed to work for me. This is one of them.

This book is a requirement for one level of ACE (Achieving Competitive Excellence) at our company. I hope many people read it.

The reading is easy. It's easy to keep track of who's who (too many books think that they're being clever by having a zillion characters and then writing it off as character development). The real-world situations bring it to life -- not in a rosy, all-is-well, way, but how it would probably go down in similar situations.

The team is a high-level (i.e., senior) team, but certainly applies to lower level teams as well. There aren't a lot of exacting details on how to implement things, but I think that's the beauty of fables -- you have to work it into your own situation.

Sun Company 903 GREEN Sun Co. Triple Whistle
Sun Company 903 GREEN Sun Co. Triple Whistle

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Whistle (but check out seller first), February 9, 2014
[This is a review of the product, but first with a caveat: check out the seller -- I wanted a green one and the description said "GREEN" (yes, it was even in uppercase), but I received an orange one. It's still in the process of being refunded (they don't have any green ones and apologized that the description was wrong, but even a week later they still have it mislabeled on the page).]

I've had one of these for many years and really like it. It's taken quite a beating and many miles of hiking. The compass side did end up falling off a couple weeks ago and I think it was because it went under near-freezing water, as I bent over it, and I didn't dry it off completely but kept hiking and it might have frozen/expanded and popped it off. That's my theory, at least. Could have just been from the years of hard use. LOL

The lanyard is comfortable as well. May seem like a minor thing, but the replacement one I have (still looking for an original replacement) has a lanyard that's too thin and bites into my neck. Nothing painful, just annoying, like when you feel you have to scratch an itch.

I've not really needed the thermometer much and, besides, body heat throws it off some (less so in the cold because there are layers of clothing to separate from body heat). Make sure you check if it's degrees C or F. I use F, but while looking for a replacement, most of them have been in C (you might have to check the photos to tell).

Elysium (Two Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy)
Elysium (Two Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Matt Damon
Price: $15.99
93 used & new from $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than I Expected, January 18, 2014
This was better than I expected, but still not great. Unfortunately, it's what I fear will be happening in 50 years, not 150 years (OK, except for the unrealistic open-canopy of Elysium). Some of it's simple, but there's decent action, decent acting, and the good guy wins. It still begs the question for what happens after that, but good entertainment for an evening or weekend afternoon.

Olympus Has Fallen (Two Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy)
Olympus Has Fallen (Two Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Gerard Butler
Price: $9.99
122 used & new from $3.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, December 8, 2013
The animation at the beginning is bad. Really bad. It's like it went back 20 years and even then used only mediocre technology. OK, let's ignore that part.

The story line is pretty good. The acting is good. There were only a few points that I though "oh, come on" when something too simplistic or outrageous was employed.

Yes, in some ways it was predictable, but it's a generally good action film.

Ender's Game [Blu-ray]
Ender's Game [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Harrison Ford
Price: $19.67
36 used & new from $7.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Ending to Movie, December 8, 2013
This review is from: Ender's Game [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I haven't read the book, yet, but I've bought it, now, and it's in my reading queue. I saw the movie, yesterday, and liked it.

About halfway through, I was a little let down. I'd heard that the movie wasn't as good as the book, so I was a little forewarned. The movie seemed to be a mix of other sci-fi movies, as was to be expected, but not so badly as some competing movies. At this point, I was giving it 4 stars at most.

The ending really made the viewing worthwhile. The ending almost pushed it to 5 stars, but some of the character development was lacking, so it didn't quite make it. On the flip-side, it didn't drag on so that was appreciated.

I won't give any spoilers, but I'll certainly have to read the book to make comparisons and then maybe watch the movie again. Good family movie, too.

TYLT Vu Wireless Charger for all Qi Phones - Retail Packaging - Black
TYLT Vu Wireless Charger for all Qi Phones - Retail Packaging - Black
Offered by Amazing Wireless Accessories
Price: $64.99
4 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Convenient, Stylish, December 7, 2013
The wireless charging is one of the things that I really like about my Motorola Maxx. I looked at a selection of wireless chargers, but quickly settled on the Tylt Vu.

It's convenient that it's angled. Not only does it allow for viewing/operating while in the stand, it keeps it from getting knocked off the charger like it would on other chargers. The only drawback to the flat ones is that now that it's conveniently tucked away, I've forgotten to take it with me a couple times because it wasn't out in the open like it used to be (of course, I realized my mistake soon as I got to my car).

It also looks nice. I chose the black because I like understated colors. However, the black color was out of stock on Amazon (still looks to be the case), so I had to buy it directly from the manufacturer. If it's not in stock, I can't buy it....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20