Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now
Profile for Randy Given > Reviews

Browse

Randy Given's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1046

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Randy Given RSS Feed (Manchester, CT USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ant-Man [Blu-ray]
Ant-Man [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Paul Rudd
Price: $22.94
43 used & new from $15.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, December 24, 2015
This review is from: Ant-Man [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This movie was surprisingly good. With the title, and the long list of mediocre comic spinoffs, I wasn't expecting much from this movie. It has action, good acting, a feel-good theme, and is polished. Very good for a Friday night movie.

Sentry Safe Biometric Quick Access Pistol Safe Model # QAP1BE
Sentry Safe Biometric Quick Access Pistol Safe Model # QAP1BE
Price: $178.47
25 used & new from $113.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Set Up, Easy to Use, December 22, 2015
This safe is easy to set up and even easier to use. It has some heft to it. Sure, it can still be taken and carried, but not like hiding under a shirt without being noticed. At first I wished it didn't have the key entry (I think it's a max of 4,096 combinations), but when it locks up for 2 minutes after 5 attempts, makes it reasonable. From other reviews, I got the impression that it was silent. It's not, but it's not loud, either. It's a quiet click/swoosh. I really like the fingerprint (i.e., biometric) access.

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire)
A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire)
by George R. R. Martin
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.49
124 used & new from $2.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, December 18, 2015
Finally finished. It was hard to slog through these books. There were bits and pieces that were provoking, but general bunk.

There definitely appears to be issues with the author handling Cersei. Don't know the psychological underpinnings, but awkwardness is noticeable.

In previous books, there had been some insights interspersed. Here, hardly any of that, but not quite none. Looks like now it's become a money machine and it shows.

AT-A-GLANCE Monthly Wall Calendar 2016, 12 x 17 Inches (PM2-28)
AT-A-GLANCE Monthly Wall Calendar 2016, 12 x 17 Inches (PM2-28)
Offered by My office innovations
Price: $11.92
5 used & new from $11.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Calendar for Distance Viewing, Shipped Well (in flat box), December 17, 2015
I buy this calendar year after year. I like that the dates are large and clear, so multiple people can talk about dates even from 10-15 feet away. I really like the future months at the bottom. I wish they were just a little larger, so I/we wouldn't have to lean in closer to see them when we're talking about future dates, but I'm glad they're there -- after having gotten used to that, I won't buy a calendar without the future months.

I usually buy these locally, but local office supply stores and shrunk (from 3 to 1) and this year they either were sold out of weren't stocking them well. I'm guessing the latter, because they had plenty of store-brand inferior calendars. Their loss. If you don't stock it, I can't buy it.

My main concern was shipping. If they rolled it up, it would have been ruined for me. With its low cost, I would have just written it off and sought out other, more distant, office supply stores. Fortunately, it can in a flat box and even had an additional protective bag. That was great!

Farm Innovators Model C-50 Premium Cast Aluminum Birdbath De-Icer, 150-Watt
Farm Innovators Model C-50 Premium Cast Aluminum Birdbath De-Icer, 150-Watt
Price: $37.20
63 used & new from $14.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Flakes Some, But Still the Best, November 27, 2015
I think I'm on my fourth C-50. They last 3-4 years before the flaking is too much of an issue. The coating doesn't all fall off at once, but flakes off over the years. With the daily refills/cleansing of water, hard to notice.

The thermostat works well (I think the cutoff is 40F or so). The birds certainly like it, especially with a small profile.

To its credit, I just bought a new one this week. I looked at the competition, again, and decided that it's still the best.

Conair Infiniti Pro 1875 Watt Salon Performance AC Motor Styling Tool
Conair Infiniti Pro 1875 Watt Salon Performance AC Motor Styling Tool
Offered by Quidsi Retail LLC
Price: $30.39
51 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Jet Blast, November 27, 2015
I usually use my blow dryer on cool and low setting. Even on that setting, this one blew me away. But, not in a good way. I felt like I was standing behind a jet getting ready for takeoff or a brewing tropical storm. Too much for me. Some might love it, but just overboard for me.

Ergonomically, it's one of the better ones I've had. Good balance, positions in the right places, with the "cool" button maybe a bit too far away, but OK. And it's not too big, even for travel. I'm glad the trend has reverted from monster blow dryers to ones that are more sensical.

The cord is a bit long for throwing under the sink, but unusably long -- just an extra loop thrown in. When traveling, I usually use whatever is in the hotel, so the extra length isn't too bothersome.

Fair Warning
Fair Warning
64 used & new from $2.55

2.0 out of 5 stars Worse Than Thought, November 25, 2015
This review is from: Fair Warning (Audio CD)
I hadn't noticed before until I reset all my iTunes ratings and started re-rating songs: this album is sub-par. I have one song at 4-stars ("Unchained"), one at 2-stars, and the rest at 1-star. Wow. Hadn't realized how bad this album was.

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Filler, October 25, 2015
This is merely filler. Like the trilogy that could have skipped the middle book because it's just a continuation of the first book. Or the film where the third film is split into two parts, where both of those parts could have been tossed. This book lost almost all interest for me, except for an update on two items (no spoilers here). I felt like I was locked in a Moon tower and was forced to read it.

It's funny that I'd been bored with it for the last three-quarters and was at the end when the author wrote, well, not a surprising wrap-up. It just feels like such a Game of Thrones with the readers -- being used as a pawn.

There's not much positive I can add about this volume. I mean, how many more times do we have to hear "they broke their fast" (instead of "they had breakfast")? Sure, it's fitting for the environment, but do we really have to have it thrown in our face every chapter? There are so many other annoying contrivances that place it as simple pulp fiction (not to slander the good movie).

Imagine someone writing a diary and just noting random things while they walk from city to city for months on end: this person was eating that; this person was cleaning that; this other person was throwing up after a wild party; that other person forgot to mail a letter; and on and on. No wonder it's such a long book.

The Wrecking Crew
The Wrecking Crew
DVD ~ The Beach Boys
Price: $9.49
27 used & new from $6.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Not for Every Taste, October 11, 2015
This review is from: The Wrecking Crew (DVD)
I give it 5 stars, with a qualification - it isn't for everyone. It's not in the flavor of many recent documentaries that try to be a Hollywood movie. This is more the plain, simple interview format. But, there's so much information here, it's deserving of 5 stars. The history displayed here is incredible.

The Interview (Blu-ray + UltraViolet)
The Interview (Blu-ray + UltraViolet)
DVD ~ James Franco
Price: $7.88
100 used & new from $3.35

3.0 out of 5 stars Watchable, September 21, 2015
Not great, but not terrible. It's too bad about the controversy when it was released. There are lots of little spoofs on other movies, without being silly. Simple plot, somewhat predictable, but some small twists. Makes it watchable, but not a must-see.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20