Profile for Randy Given > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 944

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Randy Given RSS Feed (Manchester, CT USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Practical Turkey Hunting Strategies: How to Hunt Effectively Under Any Conditions
by Ray Eye
Price: $18.19
25 used & new from $13.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff, From an Expert, May 10, 2010
If there's one book to buy for turkey hunting, this would be it. The author obviously has the experience to write such a book and he does a great job of making it easy to read.

All of the essentials are here. The photos are plentiful and appropriate. You feel like you're already hunting and it gives you the knowledge to be confident.

If I were buying a turkey hunting book for someone, this would be at the top of the list.

Wild Turkey: Expert Advice for Locating and Calling Big Gobblers (The Complete Hunter)
by Gary Clancy
114 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Coffee Table, Basic Intro, May 10, 2010
This is a good basic introduction and great for the coffee table, but not my favorite. There's a lot of basic coverage and the photos are good, I guess I was expecting more, maybe too much for the size of the book.

Garmin TOPO US 24K Northeast Map (DVD)
Garmin TOPO US 24K Northeast Map (DVD)
Price: $91.99
33 used & new from $91.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, May 10, 2010
This works well on my desktop (MapSource) and GPS (Garmin 76Cx). I like seeing the detail in both. The GPS is a bit slow in processing between zooms and movement. It might not be as noticeable in newer hardware. That's not a fault of the product, though.

I like having state lands (parks and forests) indicated and even many trails. Even the routing is adequate enough that I often keep my City Navigator in the dash and just use the Topo.

I had a problem loading the 3.8G onto a 4G MicroSD. I'm not sure where the problem was, but customer support was helpful in getting me running. I copied to an 8G card and then transferred to the 4G and everything was fine.

Well worth the money for me.

Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition)
Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition)
by Jeff Doyle
Price: $65.33
56 used & new from $54.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for CCNA, May 10, 2010
This book is great for CCNA prep. It is NOT for easy glossing over of concepts. You really need to be interacting with equipment (or a good simulator) to appreciate the information here. There is a lot that is uncovered and as you learn more, you'll find yourself going back to those same sections and learning more that you didn't appreciate the first (or second) time around.

The book is big, but not wasteful. I hate seeing other books that brag about some number of pages (usually 1000 is the magic mark) only to find half of it is huge table of contents, summary after summary, or ridiculously large indexes. Not that kind of wasted space here.

My only caveat is the rather large section on IS-IS. This could be seen as a waste for those not using it. I wouldn't be surprised if this section is much smaller in future editions.

If you're going for in-depth knowledge for CCNA (not just enough to pass the exam, but understanding concepts), this book is a keeper.

Acer AspireRevo AR1600-U910H Black/White Desktop PC (Windows XP Home)
Acer AspireRevo AR1600-U910H Black/White Desktop PC (Windows XP Home)
5 used & new from $89.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as Cheap Server, December 12, 2009
I needed a cheap reliable computer to user as a server for my weather station. It had to run Windows XP because our other three computers were all 64-bit Vista and the weather station wouldn't work with them (the manufacturer still says they'll never write 64-bit drivers).

Anyhow, all I needed was a server. While setting it up, I was thinking this was a nifty little setup that I could even use for day to day stuff if needed. The keyboard is smaller but fully useable, not cramped like most small systems. The processor seems pretty quick and my Internet download speeds were good (20Mbps+) on it (the CPU processing power does make a difference).

The only thing to watch for is that there isn't a DVD drive. You could connect one to a USB port, but I didn't need to. Oh, and the mouse and keyboard take up two of the USB ports. It takes up very little desk space. It's super quiet, but then I wasn't maxing it out by any means. Just a great little computer.

A purchase that I'm really glad I made.

Dear Mr. Buffett: What an Investor Learns 1,269 Miles from Wall Street
Dear Mr. Buffett: What an Investor Learns 1,269 Miles from Wall Street
by Janet M. Tavakoli
Price: $22.46
97 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, November 8, 2009
This was a good book to read. It's not often you get to read insights and conversations with "superstars" from people that frequently interact with them. It's more intimate than a biographer that gets scheduled interviews.

You won't come away with specific gotta-buy-stock-X ideas, but you get a better glimpse of how Buffett thinks. His own writings and interviews give good indications, but it's always good to see things from a different perspective. Did Buffett clear the current mess unscathed? No, but you can see why his approach is much better in the long run (talking 20, 30, 40 years).

Work the System: The Simple Mechanics of Making More and Working Less
Work the System: The Simple Mechanics of Making More and Working Less
by Sam Carpenter
31 used & new from $0.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly Life Changing -- Give It a Thought, October 18, 2009
Possibly a life-changing book. You should read it to find out for yourself.

Some of the ideas would seem self-evident, but it makes me wonder why didn't I think of these things before. Precisely because of what Carpenter is saying. Many of us are so busy "living" our lives we overlook the obvious. Of course, he goes beyond the obvious and digs up some really good ideas. He speaks from personal experience and it's obvious he's "one of us", not some scholar generating yet another book.

A lot of the focus is the work/office environment, but Carpenter shows how it can and should be incorporated into our personal lives.

One of my pet peeves is typos and poorly constructed thoughts. This book was exceptionally free of those problems. I saw one or two minor errors, but with books being published so quickly in the past ten years in this digital publishing age, it's amazing (and refreshing) to see a book published with so much care.

The reading is easy and can be taken in two minute chunks, which is how I often read -- whenever I have a couple spare minutes.

Heddon Super Spook Fishing Lures (Chartreuse, 5-Inch)
Heddon Super Spook Fishing Lures (Chartreuse, 5-Inch)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lure -- for Bass and Pickerel / Pike, October 9, 2009
This is one of my go-to lures for larger bass and pickerel / pike. Both will snap at it, either out of hunger or irritation. I've tried lots of lures with big names or flashy appearance but not results that were expected. This one delivers.

Abu Garcia Revo Fishing Reel (STX, Line Weight- 12/140)
Abu Garcia Revo Fishing Reel (STX, Line Weight- 12/140)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reel, October 3, 2009
Been using this reel for a couple of months now. Mostly for bass, both largemouth and smallmouth, but also for pickerel and even once for trout.

My complaints are mostly with the mechanical appendages and wear-and-tear. It seems like either some corners were cut or it wasn't fully designed.

When I saw it in the showroom, the display model was missing the knob. I understood why when a week later I loosened the knob just a little too far and it fell off. Fortunately it landed where I could retrieve it and not in the water. Similarly, the top screw loosened on its own. Some of this can be expected, but it could be designed better.

Lastly, the top scratches too easy. I take good care of it but it has lots of scratches from just touching the ground and lightly setting on pavement. Not a major deal, but it already is getting that "old" look.

The bearings are pretty good, but I can't say they're outstanding. It feels like a good unit.

Still, I would buy it again since it's a good value. I might get the Skeet Reese version but it's noticeably more expensive.

Yes Man (Single-Disc Edition)
Yes Man (Single-Disc Edition)
DVD ~ Jim Carrey
Price: Click here to see our price
330 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Liking the New Jim Carrey, October 3, 2009
I'm liking the new Jim Carrey. More mature but still spontaneous and a little wacky. Lots of funny parts and generally a good family movie (just a couple parts that are questionable but the young ones probably won't notice and the teenagers probably will like oh-come-on-mom-and-dad). A general feel-good movie.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20