Profile for AtHomePapa > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AtHomePapa "Working from home ROCKS!!!" RSS Feed (CA)

Page: 1 | 2
The Organic Whey - mustHave Protein : USDA Certified Organic Whey Protein, 1.5lbs
Offered by The Organic Whey
Price: $64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Decided on this over "Raw Organic Whey", October 14, 2013
My reason for choosing "The Organic Whey" over "Raw Organic Whey" was very simple - one was offering a 20% discount at the time, the other was not. I had narrowed my selection to these two brands since they were the only ones that I could find at Amazon that truly were 100% organic whey and nothing else. Most of the others had added either soy or sunflower lecithin. My criteria were simple - must be organic (no use of BGH or pesticides), all ingredients produced in the USA, 100% processed in the USA, has a low heat pasteurization process (raw food/unpasteurized is not my thing), and contains no additives.

The Organic Whey is quite pleasant tasting in that it adds a creamy aftertaste to just about anything with which it is blended. My favorite smoothie contains five tablespoons of The Organic Whey, 3/4 cup of frozen blueberries, 1/4 to 1/2 of a whole avocado (yes, it sounded weird to me as well, but the avocado actually lends more creaminess and has no actual taste), 1/2 tablespoon of Agave nectar or organic honey, 8 oz of water, and ice cubes. Keep in mind that The Organic Whey requires the use of a blender and a shaker bottle will not suffice. So, I still rely on Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydro Whey as part of my post workout stack since it is easily dissolved in water using a shaker bottle.

I've noticed that, despite not having a "real" breakfast, I have not lost any body weight (my diet is geared towards maintaining my current weight and not to lose weight) but I have dropped from ~10% body fat to just under 9% in the month since I started taking The Organic Whey smoothies in the mornings and eating an earlier lunch, mid-afternoon snack and early dinner. Bottom line, for my workout routine (primarily MMA-Crossfit workouts and TKD and Eskrima), The Organic Whey fits in very well as a morning protein kick starter and I have not yet noticed any drop in my energy or intensity levels during my workouts or throughout my normal day by substituting a smoothie containing The Organic Whey in lieu of a "real" breakfast.

Without hesitation, I'd recommend The Organic Whey to anyone looking for an organic whey protein. I plan to buy more, even if the 20% discount is not available when I use up the four bags that I had bought.

NHL San Jose Sharks Cork Screw and Wine Bottle Topper Set
NHL San Jose Sharks Cork Screw and Wine Bottle Topper Set
Offered by AKEN.INC
Price: $28.99
3 used & new from $24.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap plastic sticker for the logos, May 9, 2013
Bought this at a discount for a "Like New" product via a Warehouse Deals... The stopper and corkscrew are decent, but would never buy them if they did not have the SJS logos (so two stars for this). However, the logos are nothing but cheap-looking, pressed-on plastic stickers - I found that one sticker came loose and was stuck to the shipping box. I was able to press the sticker back in to the wine stopper, from which it fell off, but it continues to pop loose. Even as a HUGE San Jose Sharks fan and even for the discounted price, this purchase was very disappointing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2014 10:55 AM PDT

SHARKK® Aluminum Wallet Credit Card Holder With RFID Protection Made By SHARKK Brands
Offered by SHARKK
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great card holder!, October 9, 2012
I liked the Sharkk "wallet" so much, I ended up ordering two more the next day after receiving my initial order. Does it replace my primary wallet or my travel wallet? No. Is it the most convenient way to carry a lot of credit cards AND a decent amount of cash (meaning more than three US$-sized bills)? Not so much. But, I really did not purchase this for use as a wallet, per se. I don't put demands on my wallets like George Costanza, but my daily wallet inventory consists of eight cards and around seven US$-sized bills. The Sharkk will hold eight cards, but this leaves NO room for cash or much for anything else. You could squeeze a ninth or possibly tenth card, but the Sharkk will not close completely.

So, why bother...?

I have a LOT of cards - credit cards, rewards cards, auto club cards, amusement park cards, airline lounge cards, gas cards, etc. Some I use only for travel or only during the summer/winter season or some are hardly used at all. It is almost always a pain to locate the card I need when I have to find it - especially, if it is not part of the regular rotation (e.g. in my wallet). In steps the Sharkk. It is great at helping to organize and to store all sorts of cards! The accordion-like file system makes it very easy to identify the card I need. And the aluminum skin offers great protection and the various colors offered help me to color code or separate cards into each Sharkk based on type or frequency of usage (OCD? Slightly.).

Plus, when traveling, I can see where this will help me and the Mrs., to keep our IDs and those of our four kids organized and serve as a means for me to keep back up credit cards and IDs safely stored away from potential pick pocket situations.

In terms of use as a wallet... For me, the Sharkk just would not work. On a daily basis, I need to carry too many items with me (I've got four kids) for the Sharkk to hold. And the Sharkk is not a great choice if I wanted to go light and limit the load to a bare minimum amount (3-4 cards, including driver's license, and 3-4 US$-sized bills). In this case, the Sharkk is too thick and rigid when compared to a thin, billfold wallet that is flexible and can carry that same amount. So, one star removed for this since it is advertised as a "wallet" credit card holder.

But, as long as you know what you are buying and for what purpose ("credit card holder"), the Sharkk is a terrific value and serves this purpose very well!

Junk Food Men's Madness Short Sleeve Tee, Sugar, Small
Junk Food Men's Madness Short Sleeve Tee, Sugar, Small

4.0 out of 5 stars Child of the 80's, October 6, 2012
As "wannabe Mod" back-in-the-day, I can't help but to love the "Madness" print! The cut, however, is not what I had expected. A bit too full-cut for my preference. I've got a lot of Junk Food t-shirts all in size "small" and they all seem to vary in sizing, with the 50-50 blended ones running more fitted than the 100% cotton ones. This shirt was listed as 100% cotton, so I did not expect a fitted cut. But, unlike the product photo would lead you to believe, it fits more like a medium in the body whereas the shoulders and sleeves fit like a small. I'd suggest sticking with your usual sizing but expect more room in the body than you might be used to. Overall, I like the shirt. It's very comfortable. Plus, it helps me to reminisce about the glory days. :)

Lee Men's Belted Wyoming Cargo Short, Ash Camo, 29
Lee Men's Belted Wyoming Cargo Short, Ash Camo, 29

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and good quality shorts, October 6, 2012
I bought the camouflage version. This color combo is based on shades of browns and greens, as shown in the product picture at the time of purchase. I am happy with the color - it met expectations - though it might be a little too vibrant/bright for some people, it should fade over time. Also as pictured, the length should fall right at the knee for the average-sized man. Since I am on the shorter side of the height spectrum, the length actually drops just below my knees (FWIW, I prefer shorts that drop that low). I ordered a 29 waist and it feels accurate, if not slightly loose, but that is normal for me and the included belt is very useful - stays put despite being very easy to adjust. The material is a soft & thin cotton, which makes the shorts very comfortable. However, the reason for removing one star is that the material is thin compared to other camouflage shorts from JCrew, Union Bay, and even the Gap. So, I am not sure if these will last as long as the others/how well they will hold up to numerous washings. But I guess that also accounts for the price difference.

NHL San Jose Sharks Denco 27-Inch Drop Bottom Rolling Duffel Luggage, Black
NHL San Jose Sharks Denco 27-Inch Drop Bottom Rolling Duffel Luggage, Black
Price: $99.00
2 used & new from $99.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice product but..., October 4, 2012
For the price I paid from eBags, and given that there was no CA sales tax, I'd say this was a very good deal. The only real downside is that it is a bit too heavy for practical use for airline travel, given the weight restrictions for checked baggage. However, I bought it to use for family trips via car or train and, mainly, for storage for my SJ Sharks' gear. So, I was not concerned at all by the weight. It is a very sturdy product, but it comes with a price in terms of added pounds. The weight makes it a deal killer for use during airline travels but I knew that before purchasing so no stars were removed for that since the overall quality exceeded expectations, given the price paid (about seventy dollars, including shipping).

Mediabridge BASICS Series HDMI Cable (6 Feet) - High-Speed Supports 4K, Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return [Newest Standard] - 2 Pack
Offered by Mediabridge Products, LLC
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, October 4, 2012
Went with this HDMI cable based on the price, reviews and that it was qualified for Prime shipping BUT was not subject to CA taxes. No complaints at all. I used both cables to run to/from my TV to/from the receiver and it worked as an HDMI cable should. Would purchase this product and purchase other items from this vendor again.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice case, July 6, 2011
My version (SF Giants) does not have a laser engraved logo, as one reviewer had indicated his/hers was. And, the logo arrived with a 1/2" with a scuff mark right out of the package. So, I do not hold out much hope for the durability of the logo - it appears to be silk screened or painted on and was placed in the package before it was dry completely.

And the silicone case itself is, well, a silicone case... Decent thickness without being "too thick" that it distracts from the form factor, but seems like it will provide decent protection. I have no idea how well it will protect the iPhone, but it is better than no case at all. It has a lip on the front so that the iPhone can be placed flat on its faceplate without touching the surface upon which it is resting. The cutouts for the headphones, mic, speakers, camera, etc., all are accurate on my AT&T version of the iPhone 4. However, there are no cutouts for the volume buttons. The buttons are covered by raised circles built-in to the silicone shell. This actually is a nice touch since it makes it very easy to access and to use the volume controls. Plus, it fits accurately over the buttons of the AT&T iPhone 4. But this might be an issue for the Verizon iPhone 4 - not sure about this, but I've read that the Verizon iPhone 4 buttons are slightly lower down the body vs the AT&T iPhone 4.

Overall, it is nice case but I am a bit disappointed by the defect in the logo. However, as fourth generation SF Giants fan, I think that the orange color is very cool and have yet to find a better looking iPhone case that sports this particular logo.

CaseCrown Chameleon Glider Case (Olive Aqua Green) for Apple iPhone 4 and 4S (QTY 1) - Screen Protector Included

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent protection but..., July 2, 2011
I thought the colors would be more like what you see in the photos of the item, but they are not... even in sunlight, colors are much darker that pictured with this cheesy glitter sprinkled throughout and the "chameleon" color change is very muted. The cover does provide protection since the interior is partially lined with felt and the exterior covers all the corners of the iPhone. The fit is very snug and makes it a bit of a pain to remove the iPhone but at least the fit is secure. The plastic is similar to that used to make combs - has decent bend and does not feel too brittle, which should hold up well to abuse. Even so, this is a disappointing purchase because I had expected the colors to be brighter - like those portrayed in the photos of the item.

FYI: At the time of this purchase, I did not view/was not able to view the product video since I had browsed and purchased this item via my iPad (video requires Flash - sorry, Mr. Jobs). Having had a chance to view the video, I can see that it provides a more accurate color portrayal of the case than the photos do. Still, the item I received is a bit darker than the items in the video and the glitter effect is not as obvious in the video as it is when you see the actual product.

White Leather Slip Case & Screen Protector Kit for New Apple iPhone 4 4G HD
White Leather Slip Case & Screen Protector Kit for New Apple iPhone 4 4G HD

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value!, July 2, 2011
I went in to this purchase not expecting much for my four dollars, so this might have helped... However, I am really happy with this item. Ok, ok... yes, it's a pouch... a pouch. BUT, it is made of real leather, fits the iphone 4 securely, the interior cleans the iphone and it costs FOUR dollars! The only bummer is that I lost it within the first week of owning it. But, for four dollars and using Prime shipping, replacing it was not too painful and was quick. Also, I hope that I do not leave the impression that satisfaction with this item is only about its low price - it is a surprisingly nice value, yes. But, the quality of the leather and the quality of the construction appear to be top notch and is at least comparable to the Sena & Incipio leather pouches (IMHO).

The Sena Ultraslim Leather Pouch for iPhone 4 (Tan) also was a contender but costs ~6x more... I figured that the Easyi was worth the "gamble" and I liked that it comes in white. I had the white version of the Sena pouch for the iPhone 3G and really liked that as well. Compared to the white Sena for the 3G iPhone, the Easyi pouch for the iPhone 4 seems just as well-made (so far) and the exterior stitching provides a different/funky/less conservative look than the Sena. Also, the interior of the Easyi seems to grip the iPhone more securely than the Sena does. Of course, the Sena I am comparing it to is well-worn/broken-in, but the interior of the Sena is a felt material that lines the leather cover and this makes the iPhone less secure/easier to remove or fall out. The Easyi is leather suede inside. There is no additional lining inside the leather, which could be why the leather is slightly thicker on the Easyi - to serve as protection since there is no liner. But this suede interior grips the iPhone much better than the felt used in the Sena.

The Sena is slightly but noticeably thinner (which could be a negative for some), has a slicker (but not slippery) exterior, and does not have the exposed seams that the Easyi does. So, the Sena *might* be easier to remove from a pant or jacket pocket than the Easyi. After about a year of daily use, the felt liner in the Sena has started to separate slightly from the leather cover but this did not bother me at all. Obviously, this will not be an issue with the liner-less Easyi.

Not sure how to keep the Easyi clean/how to clean it or how durable it will prove to be... Probably will end up spraying this with a leather protectant since the leather does remind me of that used on the Apple Smart Covers for the iPad 2, which is a stain magnet. The Sena lasted years and held up pretty well against stains but that probably had to do with the finish on the leather that also makes it more slick to the touch than the Easyi. However, at four dollars a pop, I'd have to go through ~six of the Easyi pouches to match the price of one Sena pouch (at the current prices, as of July 2, 2011). Yah, I already lost one... so, five more chances to go! :)

UPDATE: I bought a second one to replace my original order, which I had lost within the first week, and this one is lined with felt on the inside, but still grips the iPhone ok. It could be a "senior moment", but I could have sworn that the first pouch that I had ordered was not felt-lined and was leather on the inside. Also, the stitching appears to be more sloppy than the first pouch I had ordered. Overall, still an excellent value and I would purchase again - if I also lose this one. :P

Page: 1 | 2