Profile for Marc Twain > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Marc Twain "Compassion" RSS Feed (Washington, DC)

Page: 1 | 2
Yodora Deodorant Cream 2 oz (56.7 g)
Yodora Deodorant Cream 2 oz (56.7 g)
Offered by AmericaRx
Price: $9.79
20 used & new from $5.86

5.0 out of 5 stars My brother and sister also rave about Yodora and recommend it whenever asked for solutions, October 20, 2014
Sadly one of the few things my tall, handsome grandfather passed down to me (none of those traits), was an allergy to aluminum that is used in antiperspirants along with sweaty pits. He was a heck of a man however. Thankfully he did find this product and introduce me to it over 30 years ago and I have never looked back. My brother and sister also rave about Yodora and recommend it whenever asked for solutions.

To All The Girls...
To All The Girls...
Price: $10.99
54 used & new from $6.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Willie Nelson never disappoints, December 6, 2013
This review is from: To All The Girls... (Audio CD)
His unique voice and one of a kind phrasing turns any song he sings into a rare jewel. In this he picks some of the most talented female artists to join him in covering some true classics. He even covers the CCR rock classic "Have you ever seen the rain" with his talented daughter Paula. We are so lucky to have this one of a kind American song master still going strong after 80 years.

Soundfreaq SFQ-04 Sound Kick Bluetooth speaker
Soundfreaq SFQ-04 Sound Kick Bluetooth speaker
Offered by LowPriceFastShipping
Price: $88.11
52 used & new from $32.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, Great size, Even better price., January 8, 2013
For several years I have gone back and forth about buying a wireless speaker for my Android. I mean, my Bluetooth ear piece breaks up even when I have my phone 6 inches away. I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars for the same problem when listening to my music quietly in my house. I like the "accidental" disconnect with people I want to avoid, but I want peace and quite when enjoying my playlist. Thankfully a friend solved my dilemma for me by getting this speaker for my Christmas present. From the moment I opened it, everything went smoothly. I found the connection within seconds and was enjoying a full rich sound a minute later.

I haven't traveled with it yet, but I have moved it around my house and the sound remains solid. Aside from a wonderful gift, my friend stopped my search and clearly saved me several hundred dollars. Like many, I always assume that the most expensive is the best, but thankfully I was wrong and it didn't cost me money. This mid-range speaker provides top of the line sound. It would be a great gift or outright purchase.

Blurex Ultra-Slim Case for Google Nexus 7 inch Tablet -- With built in Multi-Angle Stand + Premium Screen Protector Film (Clear),black
Offered by Prestige Milano

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't give out 5 stars often, September 7, 2012
While there are many good products, few meet all of my needs as I see them. However, this product did just that. When I got my Nexus 7 I rushed to grab the first case on the market. It was ok and I would have stayed with it had my puppy not chewed off the corner. While it still worked, I figured I would search for new covers since the tablet has been out for a bit now. The Blurex arrived yesterday and as soon as it was out of the box I fell in love. It is very thin, sturdy, non-leather, snug and comes with a nice hand holder on the back. On top of that it is inexpensive. Not that I am glad my puppy chewed my old one, though I know better than leaving this on the couch, I can afford a replacement if necessary.

Kisses on the Bottom
Kisses on the Bottom
Offered by RYU'SHOP
Price: $10.11
103 used & new from $2.92

1.0 out of 5 stars I said something wrong, now I long for yesterday., February 8, 2012
This review is from: Kisses on the Bottom (Audio CD)
Like millions of others for generations, I have LOVED The Beatles and Paul McCartney. Not only for his unmatched contributions to music, but his compassion toward animals. However, I am disappointed that he would release something like this. It has been some time since he was able to sing his ballads as they were written, even though I think he can still rock. Just check out his performance at the White House for Pres. Obama. Amazing. For a guy who has been the most influential composer since possibly Beethoven, why wind down a career on this note? It kills me to ever say anything bad about him (though I admit, I didn't like the note on the Amazon website saying "Nearly all Beatles songs were co-credited to Lennon-McCartney, but McCartney was solely responsible for many of their best songs."). I know their song credit arrangement and I have also watched about every single interview by them both and they admit that while they often wrote individually, they still influenced each other. Hey Jude is a prime example, Paul's song, but John made valuable comments. Regardless, that wasn't the point. Really, did Amazon need to say that?

I decided to repost this after some folks felt emboldened behind their computers to pile on and attack my comments versus providing real feedback. One guy hooked onto my comment about Amazon's (not Paul's) statement about Paul being solely responsible for many of The Beatles best songs (hope he reads this correctly when he attacks next time). Read up a bit and you will see I LOVE all of Paul's past work. I compare him to Beethoven for goodness sake.

My disappointment with the album is that Paul's aging voice, to ME, is not suited for these songs. That is it, no hidden agenda for John, George, Ringo or Denny. Some songs are not suited for some singers. That isn't a new revelation. I have seen him in concert several times and will jump at the opportunity to see him again, even if in support of this album (cause I know he will put on a good show and sing some of his great songs). As with anyone with his kind of wonderful voice, with age his range and options change. Any singer will tell you that. Singers like Clapton are well suited for singing as they age because the songs they sing fit their voice even better with time. That is just the nature of a voice.

Ok, I will now step back and remember how much I love and admire his 50 years of amazing music. This will be the only McCartney album I won't own and that makes me sad. For those who buy it and enjoy it, save your attacks and listen to the album. I am glad you like it. I am sure I will get attacked once again, but I tried to explain things a bit further. If you do have complaints send them to idontcare@trash.com.

I do have to give him credit for one thing on this album...that is a brilliant title.
Comment Comments (45) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2014 10:03 AM PDT

Truth and Fiction in The Da Vinci Code: A Historian Reveals What We Really Know about Jesus, Mary Magdalene, and Constantine

1.0 out of 5 stars "Truth" in Fiction on par with The Da Vinci Code and Bible, September 1, 2011
While I have enjoyed Professor Ehrman for years and he is almost always a good read, this book seemed more like an easy paycheck than a sound review of an issue. For anyone who studies history or more specifically the history of the bible you quickly come to realize that anything written about the bible or those involved in it or writing it is full of speculation. As Prof. Ehrman clearly lays out several times, we need a solid and substantiated historical record in order to show any foundation. With Jesus we have nothing that can provide an actual base foundation. There are no records of his existence or words from the time he lived and preached. As was noted in this book, everything we know about him was written years later by people who never even knew Jesus and we have no clue who they are. Even today, biographies and stories about well known figures can vary wildly only a few years after their deaths. We can make a strong assumption that this was far more likely 2,000 years ago by those trying to establish a faith around Jesus. We have NO clue what he actually said or wanted. We know what well educated men wanted almost a century later when they started to write the various books that made the foundation of Christianity. Just look at the myths surrounding America's founding fathers. Not long after the death of George Washington, all kinds of "tales" were created in his name - I cannot tell a lie, I chopped down the cherry tree.

I find this book and others that try to debunk ideas counter to those in the bible ironic. They dismiss books like The Da Vinci Code because not everything can be verified by a variety of means such as exact date, alternate sources etc... However, they do this by then citing some of the gospels which only a chapter earlier had been shown to be just as unreliable as anything in The Da Vinci Code. None of the gospels were written at the time of Jesus, none of them were written by anyone that knew Jesus, none of them were written by anyone who knew anyone that knew Jesus. They were written by a few educated people trying to create (that term is important) a following around an idea. Do you get a pattern? Do we know certain things happened historically? Sure, but they are big picture items. You can't reject a book and its claims by using another book with even less historical foundation.

My point is, Prof. Ehrman is scholar, but I think he wrote this book as an easy money maker. Yes, the Da Vinci Code had errors, but unless you have Jesus on video saying "I never had sexual relations with that woman, Mary Magdalene" you can never be sure and even then we have to take his word for it (Bill Clinton). The bible has errors and this book has errors and educated assumptions. When writing about this topic nobody can win and you can find an "expert" to support any side of the argument. That is the problem about writing history. We don't know what actually happened. We can all just revert back to the old maxim - history is written by the victors.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2014 8:29 PM PDT

Guitar Hero 5
Guitar Hero 5

3.0 out of 5 stars stop moaning it's free, August 1, 2011
This review is from: Guitar Hero 5 (App)
Everyone has to moan just to moan. I downloaded it cause it is FREE. I am sure it will improve.

SwiftKey
SwiftKey
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars its ok, July 21, 2011
This review is from: SwiftKey (App)
the basic keyboard is still better. my biggest pet peeve is if you make an error just going back won't undo like the default keyboards. even when free it isn't worth the change.

The Secret of Grisly Manor
The Secret of Grisly Manor
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars clock won't open, April 21, 2011
This review is from: The Secret of Grisly Manor (App)
Found the clock time but it won't open so game is stopped. Was having fun, but now having to uninstall game. Waste of my time. shame

At Home: A Short History of Private Life
At Home: A Short History of Private Life
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.14

1.0 out of 5 stars Short? Not so much, November 4, 2010
I was really looking forward to this book, but was quickly disappointed only a few pages in. With books being so easy to publish anymore, people are willing to take anything and try to expand it into a full novel. The idea of this book is interesting, but the author tries too hard to stretch nothing into something.

Page: 1 | 2