Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Mongoose > Reviews

Browse

Mongoose's Profile

Customer Reviews: 30

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mongoose RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Distant--A Science Fiction Tragedy
Distant--A Science Fiction Tragedy

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations, November 30, 2014
I purchased this the other day, just looking for something to read while waiting for another book to come out. I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised. I was looking for a good read that isn't part one of an epic that I need to invest years in, and that's exactly what I got - a solid self-contained story. There are a few typos and editing errors, but otherwise the book has a natural easy flow with interesting characters and ideals about what freedom really is and how this may impact a society without our normal laws and regulations.

Distant is told 100% in first person point of view, so what the reader sees, hears, and understands about other people and situations are strictly from the narrator's perspective. This always makes for a more interesting story in my opinion, because all we know about everything is filtered through the main character and what he believes to be right or wrong, true or false, etc.

Although this is a science fiction story, the real plot is more so about how much freedom a society can really have before it self-destructs. And how even the best laid plans can go horribly awry. Overall an entertaining, enjoyable book I would easily recommend.

Time Loop
Time Loop

3.0 out of 5 stars Good start, but so-so finish, September 27, 2013
This review is from: Time Loop (Kindle Edition)
*** Contains Minor Spoilers ***

I usually try to avoid any type of spoiler in my reviews, but in this case it's necessary. Had I stopped reading half-way through, my review would have been 4 or possibly 5 stars. This book starts off strong, setting the scene in eloquent detail. The characters are richly detailed too, and the struggles they have in a dystopian future is easy to believe. But...as the story progresses, it starts to turn a little south in my opinion. The main character, Nathan, devolves from an intelligent, mild mannered, yet street smart "teacher" into a raging mass murderer with little if any conscience. I just found that evolution of his character a little too hard to believe. This is a guy who couldn't keep his lunch down after seeing a feral dog beheaded, and yet a mere 48 hours later has not even the slightest remorse for killing an unarmed hostage and using his corpse to cause a pile up on the freeway. Now, this is something I would have expected from Kaleb, a retired black ops soldier that likely has more kills when we first meet him than Nathan accumulates by the end of the book. But for Nathan to pull this off...it's just too much of a stretch. I could site a few more things but I want to keep this contained to minor spoilage.

That aside, I did like the book. The author's writing style is very good, and the story flows along at a decent pace. Honestly though, I can only recommend this book if your favorite genre is sci-fi.

Erinyes
Erinyes
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good "long" short story, September 15, 2013
This review is from: Erinyes (Kindle Edition)
This "long" short story reminds me of the old TV show "The Outer Limits", but in word form. The story is too short to be called a novel, but it lacks nothing else for that. The setup is brilliant and it takes no time at all to get involved in the unfolding plot. Very well written and entertaining. Just be aware, like with episodes of the outer limits, when it ends it ends, and that's it...

Frelsi (Book Two of The Liminality)
Frelsi (Book Two of The Liminality)
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Root, September 6, 2013
Root was a great book with a very interesting concept. Frelsi adds another dimension to the "sort-of-afterlife" concept that began in Root, and as is typical in real life, not everything is all black and white here as we were previously led to believe. I would have given this 5 starts, but for another flippant-style ending. Sorry, but it's kind of annoying because it was done in Root as well. Even so, I am eager for the third book and continue to recommend this series.

Spinward Fringe Broadcast 7: Framework
Spinward Fringe Broadcast 7: Framework

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, September 6, 2013
I have to say I'm with some of the other reviewers here, in that I am glad this story is finally out, I liked it, and yeah I am a little disappointed with a few things (plot based - no spoilers from me). Overall I'm glad the story has reached it's conclusion, although I know there is more to come by the way it ends. However, I had to drop a star on this one. I hate to do it as I have been a rabid fan of this series, but it was just lacking something that the other books had. Perhaps seeing how things turn out in the end just doesn't agree with me?

Third Time (The Wells Retrieval Project Report Book 2)
Third Time (The Wells Retrieval Project Report Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Part 2, September 6, 2013
Up Front Note: There are two books in this story - "Twice Upon a Time" and "Third Time." You can't really read one without the other. The first book ends in a cliffhanger and the second one wouldn't make any sense without the first, so if you are planning on getting this book, make sure and get the other one too. I read them back to back and am writing this review based on both books as a whole.

I picked these books up looking for a good time travel tale. It is that. What I didn't expect was how much I would enjoy the "western" side of this story. I'm not one for westerns usually, but the author does a good job with this time period, enough to keep me interested at any rate. And when Billy the Kid shows up... well, I don't want to spoil anything, let's just say it's surprisingly entertaining. Toss any ideas of the "Young Guns" version of the Kid right out the window. He doesn't quite behave that way in this tale.

4 Stars for an overall entertaining story.

Twice Upon A Time (The Wells Retrieval Project Report Book 1)
Twice Upon A Time (The Wells Retrieval Project Report Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sci-fi Western!?, September 6, 2013

4 Stars for an overall entertaining story.

Beyond the Event Horizon
Beyond the Event Horizon
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth It, September 6, 2013
This is an excellent sci-fi story that is very well written. It's also unashamedly Christian in theme. Some people won't like that. Personally, I love it. If the theme is not for you, then maybe this review will save you a buck, but I would encourage anyone who loves good science fiction to read this story.

Release The Panic
Release The Panic
Price: $13.40
88 used & new from $0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown Away!, February 25, 2013
This review is from: Release The Panic (Audio CD)
Yeah I am a new fan. I had never even heard of this band before I saw them at Winterjam last night. They blew me away, so of course I bought the CD, and all I can say is I am so glad I did. Awesome...

Gonna have to go buy their previous stuff now!

The Expendable Few - A Spinward Fringe Novel
The Expendable Few - A Spinward Fringe Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't worry, you'll like it., October 16, 2012
I was worried I wouldn't like this book, since it isn't part of the main story arc, but those worries were erased after the first chapter. Mr. Lalonde has a way of writing that, for me anyway, makes these "throw away" characters engaging and entertaining. I will agree with others that say it isn't as good as the rest of the series, but not because of the quality of writing. I think those of us that have read all of Spinward Fringe are going to be biased to the extent that we want story with those characters we have spent so much time with, and this doesn't quite satisfy that itch, because by design it can't (since those characters are absent). Having said that though, the book was awesome and I'm glad for it...now if Broadcast 7 would hurry up already?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3