Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Kcorn > Reviews

Browse

Kcorn's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1818
Top Reviewer Ranking: 243

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kcorn "reviewer" RSS Feed (Here)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tab Hunter Confidential
Tab Hunter Confidential
DVD
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "He's real. He's like the Earth. he's solid." And what a life!, June 23, 2016
Debbie Reynolds described Tab Hunter accurately when she said "He's real. He's solid" The Tab Hunter revealed here is someone who didn't let fame get to him - nor did he see himself as larger than life, in spite of his adoring fans (male and female). He is able to laugh at himself. And he is also a man who was willing to take risks, taking parts that belied his "good guy" image and somehow making the roles work. In this documentary, he reveals the challenges of being a gay man, often cast in romantic "boy gets girl " roles, during a time when being openly gay would have been career suicide.

As a Baby Boomer, I saw the effect Tab Hunter had on women -and plenty of men. All eyes turned to him, starting long before he hit Hollywood. A former high school classmate even described how he'd hide in deserted classrooms to avoid the barrage of young women who surrounded him as he walked from one class to another. Hunter was naturally shy so the attention was often overwhelming.

After graduating high school, Hunter just seemed a natural fit for many of the Hollywood roles of the time, especially those featuring clean cut and handsome guys ( although this documentary reveals thet he's eventually forced to fight back against that stereotype). He didn't exactly become an overnight star, working a number of menial jobs first. But once he hit the big screen, he kept moving up to better roles while working extremely hard to polish his acting skills.

Flash forward from the 50s to now .....with Tab Hunter long out of the public eye, I was expecting this documentary to be a last gasp look at a former heartthrob seeking another moment of glory. Instead, this is one of the finest documentaries I've seen in the last year .It not only lent a new perspective to my assumptions about Tab Hunter, revealing a man of many talents but also provided a rich history of the fine line walked by gay actors in the 50s, 60s, and beyond.

Hunter speaks openly of his memories of gay colleagues - Anthony Perkins and many others. He is gracious, never bitter, when describing the realities he faced ( even when he was thrown "under the bus" to quell rumors about Rock Hudson) . Because I'd grown up watching his films, I knew Hunter had gone from being an awkward and amateur actor into a fine talent. but I didn't realize he was also a very popular singer or that his song "Young Love" (1956) knocked Elvis off the top spot on the record charts. He was a champion equestrian as well as a talented figure skater.

But ultimately what makes this movie so compelling aren't Hunter's impressive achievements or his stunning good looks (even in his 80's he's still pretty easy on the eyes) . Instead, it is his charming personality thst shines: his openness, sense of humor, and a knack for never taking himself -or all the hype - seriously. He doesn't brag about his successes and he never whines about the low periods in his career or the cringe-worthy roles he was forced to take just to stay financially afloat - until...well, I'll leave out the rest of the story, not add any spoilers,

I'll just add that If you like documentaries focused on fascinating personalities, consider adding this to your list of "must sees." Kudos to the filmmakers for doing a very fine job and I hope this one doesn't slip under the radar.

D'decor 400 Thread Count 1 Piece Fitted Sheet (Elastic All Around) - Queen Grey Solid 100% Egyptian Cotton 15" Deep Pocket
Offered by TheGreatAmericanStore
Price: $23.72
6 used & new from $13.55

5.0 out of 5 stars The price is for one sheet (wish it was a sheet set). It feels wonderful, though., May 28, 2016
We're finicky about how sheets feel as well as how they stand up to repeated washing dishes. This passes both tests with flying colors. Normally I'd opt for a sheet set rather than paying for a single sheet but I tested this while staying at a friend's house and was impressed. Worth the price.

If anyone can recommend equal quality for an entire sheet set, I'm interested. Just leave a comment and I'll get a heads up email.

Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Heatwave the Fire-Bot Figure
Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Heatwave the Fire-Bot Figure
Price: $14.99
3 used & new from $13.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely easy for 4 year old to transform toy from bot to vehicle, a relief to parents., May 28, 2016
Some of the Transformers are frustrating and difficult for little hands to manipulate. Thus one is super easy and delighted a 4 year old . He's spent hours playing with it and it has held up just fine. No batteries required, just imagination. A nice addition to a collection or just fine on its own.

Princess Mega MagnaForms - Magnetic Play Set (Activity Books)
Princess Mega MagnaForms - Magnetic Play Set (Activity Books)
by Sarah Bryan
Edition: Spiral-bound
20 used & new from $2.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Great opportunity for imaginative play and also includes games to enjoy with family and friends, May 24, 2016
We purchased one and have an extra as well. There's lots of value here, with 100 magnets, 18 games, puzzles, and play scenes. The result is the opportunity for solo imaginative play as well as fun games to enjoy with family and friends.

The magnetic board is sturdy, as is the entire book. The magnetic images are easy to remove and can be stored in tbe included zip lock bag. Nice to take along on a trip as well.

Small 4 Liter Portable Sand Tray with Lid
Small 4 Liter Portable Sand Tray with Lid
Offered by Child Therapy Toys, LLC
Price: $23.99
4 used & new from $19.25

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money. Here's what we did., May 23, 2016
We bought the same size Hefty container for $8.97. It is sturdy, has a secure lid, etc. I saw the far more expensive tray and tested it out at a friend's house and it isn't worth the extra money. Spend it on more sand or sand toys or just enjoy the satisfaction of saving money.

Melissa & Doug Travel Memory Game
Melissa & Doug Travel Memory Game
Price: $11.56
97 used & new from $7.38

2.0 out of 5 stars I am usually impressed,with Melissa and Doug products. This one is a waste of money., May 21, 2016
I usually love the quality of Melissa and Doug items and laud them here and elsewhere. Not this time.

My grandkids aren't easily frustrated. I like when toys encourage perseverance and creative thinking and problem solving.

But this one disappointed themand I understood their frustration because I felt some of that myself. . The images on the cards,especially the ones closest to the sides of the board, are hard to see when the tiles are opened and the pictures also don"t line up well with the openings.

Even more frustrating? If 2 tiles right next to each other are opened , you can't see the complete,images on EITHER one without some work and - while attempting to close them, the edges of the tiles get wedged into the openings.

The only advantage of this particular set is that there are no loose tiles because they are attached to the board--and while that would normally be a major plus, the poor design ruins any positive qualities. .

I had high hopes for this.but am disappointed. This was not only frustrating for my kids but for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2016 6:05 AM PDT

Silicone Oven Mitts, 1 Pair (2 x Dark Red Mitt), Deluxe Quilted Liner, Bonus Brush
Offered by The Triumphant Chef.
Price: $35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain price, excellent quality and heat protection, no more pot holders for me., May 16, 2016
I gave 2 sets- one for outside grilling and one for every day use. These are replacing every pot holder I own. It is simply impractical and a waste of time for me to wash them when they get dirty - and some spots are now permanent. .

Simple to clean, simple to use, excellent protection from high temperatures. Love these mitts!

GOLME Urban Pac Backpack Soccer Goal
GOLME Urban Pac Backpack Soccer Goal
Offered by GOLME
Price: $29.00
2 used & new from $24.65

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Small pop up goal, we wanted bigger one , but extremely sturdy and useful backpack for soccer players and sports buffs., May 12, 2016
We were looking for a portable goal for a very young soccer player so this combo backpack and goal seemed ideal- but should have read the product description better. The goal is EXTREMELY small, both in height and width - and probably not suitable for 3 - 4 year old soccer player ( ours finds it plenty tricky getting the ball into a regulat goal).

His older brother, however, loves the backpack/goal because it helps him fine tune his kicking skills. Aiming at a small target has increased his accuracy.

Where this product really shines, though, is as a sturdy and very practical backpack, with space generous enough to hold a change of clothes, towel, etc ( this is completely separate from the dedicated compartment for the pop- up goal) . The backpack also has a water bottle holder as well as some interior pockets perfect for holding small snacks, money, car keys, etc. There's also a pop our mesh bag for holding muddy shoes or the soccer ball.

Quite simply, this is a well thought out design. The goal is a nice bonus.

Other features: well padded straps, easily adjustable, a strap for hanging the backpack over a closet or door hook, etc. This would be ideal for taking on a road trip, requiring little space.

OtterBox DEFENDER SERIES Case for iPad 2/3/4 - Retail Packaging - BLACK
OtterBox DEFENDER SERIES Case for iPad 2/3/4 - Retail Packaging - BLACK
Price: $55.77
29 used & new from $38.79

5.0 out of 5 stars I cried but they were tears of joy, February 12, 2016
On a bitterly cold day, when I had a terrible fever and some kind of flu, I left the house determined only to make it to the doctor - and then back to bed. Unfortunately, my car's battery gave out just as I reached the parking lot in front of my doctor's office. Because I was flustered and trying to jump start a car in 15 degrees (with a significant wind chill factor to boot), I thoughtlessly placed my iPad on the roof of my car. I have no idea why. I don't even remember doing it.

And, of course, I drove away with the iPad still on the car's roof. When I reached my next destination I reached for my iPad and was horrified to discover it was nowhere to be found. It had been at least 15 minutes since I left the doctor's office and I'd been driving on a very busy street. My heart sank.

I expected my iPad to either be long gone or crushed to bits by all the cars whizzing by. As I backtracked my steps, I suddenly spied the iPad, lying in the MIDDLE of a very busy street, Although cars were racing by , I managed to run through the traffic and grab my iPad. Then I drove to a quiet spot., expecting the worst. My heart sunk when I noticed a small tear in the Otterbox Case....but my sadness was replaced with amazement when I realized that my iPad was perfectly fine.

Somehow, miraculously, not a single car had managed to run over my iPad. Its screen wasn't even scratched!. It started up without a hitch. It looked as good as ever.

I can't say the same about the Otterbox case. It had s couple of tears on the edges. But then...I didn't buy it to look pretty but to protect my device. But I would never have predicted that it would do such a stellar job protecting an iPad which flew off a car going at least 45 miles per hour..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2016 9:31 AM PDT

Booster PAC ES5000 1500 Peak Amp 12V Jump Starter
Booster PAC ES5000 1500 Peak Amp 12V Jump Starter
Price: $121.93
39 used & new from $114.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Left it in my car without recharging for nearly a year and it STILL started my car. Twice within 30 minutes., February 12, 2016
I will forever praise the Booster Pac (there are NO substitutes) because it saved the day - and my nerves.. On a bitterly cold day I was extremely ill and had to go to the doctor. My car made some funny chugging sounds when it started but its mild "coughing" was nothing compared to the raging fever and flu I had - and if I didn't need to see a doctor, I would have stayed inside.

My car got me as far the doctor's parking lot but after my appointment I discovered that those strange "coughing" noises I'd earlier dismissed were actually the sounds of a dying car battery. I had a Booster Pac with me - but it had sat in the trunk of my car for nearly a year - all through a sweltering hot summer and right into frigid winter days.

So I had very little hope it would recharge my battery...but amazingly it did....and not only once but twice in the same day! I'm not pushing my luck so I have it recharging at this very minute, plugged into a wall outlet. After that it goes back in the car, ready to handle another emergency.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20