Profile for Kcorn > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 128

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kcorn "reviewer" RSS Feed (Here)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Melissa & Doug Magnetic Picture Maker
Melissa & Doug Magnetic Picture Maker
Offered by 88 Market Street
Price: $24.47
25 used & new from $24.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably too advanced for four year olds but fun for older kids, even teens, July 23, 2015
Although the product's description has it aimed at preschoolers and those in elementary school, it seems better designed for older children ( unless they're working as a team with younger siblings). When I tested it myself, I actually found this somewhat challenging until I discovered a system for separating the colors and putting them into place. Even then it took a sharp eye to ensure that each piece fell into the proper hole - or that the magnetic stick didn't slide two of the colored "dots" into a space meant for only 1 color.

To sum it up....there is a learning curve for using this magnetic board but the temporary challenges and frustrations help develop patience and perseverance...and it does take both to get each colored dot in the appropriate space.

A couple of the pieces didn't contain strong enough magnets for the magnetic stick to pick up. Even so, it is entertaining for those 10 and up and perhaps even skilled 8 year olds. But 4 year olds? Highly doubtful.

By David L. Marcus What It Takes To Pull Me Through: Why Teenagers Get in Trouble and How Four of Them Got Out [Hardcover]
12 used & new from $24.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An insightful look at the unique challenges today's adolescents face and a program that helps them become grounded, July 16, 2015
After reading this book , I wasn't surprised to learn that David L. Marcus is a Pulitzer winning writer. While focusing on four teens who come from varied backgrounds, he also manages to offer insights which many parents should find helpful. When I finished the book,I definitely felt that I had a deeper understanding of the special pressures which adolescents battle in today's world, from Internet dangers to increased violence and bullying.

With teen suicide rates soaring and depression also on the rise, parents, teachers, and all those who care about future generations should consider putting this one at the top of their reading list.

Dura-Trel 11141M Camelot Arbor, Mocha
Dura-Trel 11141M Camelot Arbor, Mocha
Price: $214.99
7 used & new from $214.99

4.0 out of 5 stars We found it a bit trickier to assemble than expected but it is lovely and totally worth the effort, June 5, 2015
While the directions were very clear, my spouse and I don't often assemble outdoor furniture and garden structures. This arbor took the better part of an afternoon to build.

We completed this with the help of one other person .At times we felt very frustrated.

But it was totally worth it. This is a very attractive arbor with a 20 year warranty. It is sturdy and fills an empty corner of our backyard. I've planted perennials around it as well as vines which should climb the arbor sides. We look forward to enjoying its beauty for many years to come.

"jomax" Mildew Remover Gal (Pack Of 4)
"jomax" Mildew Remover Gal (Pack Of 4)
Offered by Hard_To_Beat_Deals
Price: $68.43
2 used & new from $68.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Saves time and energy, works quickly. I used this on a deck and had amazing results., May 30, 2015
After I fell - and fell hard - on our mildewed and very slippery wooden deck, I knew I needed to take quick action. By the next day, I had rented a power washer, grabbed a broom with a scrub brush and went to work. We had the kind of mildew which wasn't visible or slippery until it got wet. Last year it hadn't been a problem.

The bottom line? The Jomax was so effective that I'm not sure I actually needed the power washer. All I had to do was mix the cleaning concentrate with bleach per the manufacturer instructions, spread it on the deck, and wash it off. Even before I used the pressure washer the brush removed the mildew. .

If you're not a fan of bleach and have the time you might want to research alternatives. But I didn't want to risk another fall so I acted quickly. If anyone knows an effective and environmentally friendly deck cleaner which removes mildew, I hope you'll share that info in the comment section below this review.

This product definitely does the job in record time.. Now I can get back to gardening and potting my container plants.. I have limited time so I'm happy that this product worked so well.

Fiber One Snacks Fiber One 90 Calorie Mint Fudge Brownies Box, 5.34 Ounce
Fiber One Snacks Fiber One 90 Calorie Mint Fudge Brownies Box, 5.34 Ounce
Offered by Small Town Outlet
Price: $7.41
17 used & new from $3.84

5.0 out of 5 stars These are hard to find locally and seem to fly off the shelves., April 10, 2015
I was lucky enough to get the last box at my local grocery store and was shocked to discover how great they tasted. In fact, these are so delicious that my kids would devour an entire box in no time - if I didn't hide them. They taste wonderful, with just the right touch of mint and sweetness. You do need to be a fan of mint as the flavoring isn't extremely subtke. But it balances the chocolate nicely. I tend to go through times where I crave mint and then it loses appeal for awhile. When that craving does hit, these are my "go to" snacks.

NEST Fragrances NEST01-WB Wild Oats and Bourbon Scented Classic Candle
NEST Fragrances NEST01-WB Wild Oats and Bourbon Scented Classic Candle

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the splurge. I've never received so many raves from family and friends for a candle's fragrance!, March 26, 2015
If fragrances can truly be classified as male or female, ( although I question such stereotypes) , this one defies those boundaries. It has appealed equally to my male and female friends. It isn't a floral scent nor is it a heavy one with overly strong tobacco notes.

Instead, it is just as one would expect, evoking images of a library full of vintage books, relaxing evenings in front of a cozy fire, or time spent chatting with friends over some drinks. While it certainly is an ideal fall or winter candle, it also works well year round.

I keep one in the guest bathroom, located near our front entry. As soon as anyone enters, they notice the welcoming aroma. If there are any lingering or unpleasant smells after cooking dinner, this candle will clear the air of them in short order.

True, it isn't inexpensive but it lasts a nice long while. I'll gladly avoid paying less for other candles and opt to pay a bit - okay, a lot - more for one which is so distinctive, easing my transition from work to leisure time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2015 11:01 AM PDT

The Butterfly
The Butterfly
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the work that accompanies the documentary In Vogue:The Editor's Eye, March 10, 2015
This review is from: The Butterfly (MP3 Music)
This wonderful musical composition was created in conjunction with the documentary In Vogue: The Editor's Eye and contains the words of those talented individuals (each with a unique vision) who worked for the magazine. As soon as I finished watching the documentary and listened to The Butterfly ( it plays through the end credits) I knew I had to track it down and also discover more about Lucian Piane.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2015 3:46 PM PDT

International Caravan Stockholm Contemporary Faux Leather Rocking Chair -
International Caravan Stockholm Contemporary Faux Leather Rocking Chair -

3.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons of the International Caravan Contemporary Faux Leather Rocking Chair,, February 27, 2015
We love the way this looks in our eclectic family room. It has the look of a far more expensive piece yet was well within our budget (around $110 as of this review, shipping included). For that price, we got a sturdy and attractive piece of furniture. The fit and feel? That is not quite as satisfying...but it is adequate

Some more info about how this feels: while it is comfortable enough for me, it is not as comfy as the far less expensive outdoor rocking chair we own. We'd been dragging that one inside and using it during the winter but wanted something that could remain in our family room year round and look less "outdoorsy".

The seat has a sharp slant and is relatively deep. While that isn't an issue for me, one member of our family is short enough to need pillows behind his back in order to sit forward enough for his feet to reach the ground so that he can rock comfortably.

Assembling this was another challenge. We nearly gave up at several points along the way. During assembly, the padding inside the leather covering kept shifting. We had to work to keep it smooth and lump-free ( the padding doesn't shift once the chair is fully assembled )

Next, the directions - such as they are - consist only of illustrations, no words to help explain things. We've dealt with that before but this time around the pictures weren't very detailed. Still, we could follow them.

Once we'd conquered those hurdles we had to deal with lining up the seat frame so that 6 screws stayed in place. This was a 3 person job and even then it took well over an hour of frustrating maneuvers to get everything aligned and all the screws tightly in place.

If you're willing to deal with all that, you'll be rewarded with a solid and lovely chair.

If anyone else purchased this and found it easy to assemble ,please let me know, as we're considering getting another one so that we have a matched set. Perhaps our experience wasn't the norm? I certainly hope not.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2015 11:01 AM PDT

October Gale [HD]
October Gale [HD]
DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars Suspense? Yes, but also an exploration of grief, loss and starting over, February 10, 2015
I'm surprised by the lack of reviews here- and even more by the negative ones. Just to be clear, I have no ties to the filmmakers nor am I associated with the production in any way. Okay, got that out of the way, so on to the film - one which is suspenseful but also character driven. It isn't a blood fest and the action isn't non stop. Instead, it builds, layer by layer, towards the climax.

Actress Patricia Clarkson is in fine form as a widow struggling to form a new identity in the wake of her husband's death.The film begins languidly, taking time to contrast her current life with her memories of happier times with her husband. Viewers looking only for "straight from the start " suspense may grow impatient here. Those tense moments do arrive but this film may perhaps be best for those who like plots with intriguing characters - as much as those with suspenseful events.

But for those willing to stick with it, there is much to savor in this film: Clarkson's understated yet compelling performance, the interactions between her and 3 mysterious men, insights about grief and some hard realities concerning loss. It all adds up to a movie well worth viewing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2015 9:31 PM PDT

The Hunger of the Wolf: A Novel
The Hunger of the Wolf: A Novel
by Stephen Marche
Price: $14.87
97 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Genre-busting novel focused on wealth...and werewolves, January 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Since I'm not a particular fan of novels about werewolves, I started this one with some apprehension. But I was almost immediately drawn into the tale of Ben Wylie, one of the wealthiest men in the world. As the story begins, his naked body has just been found in a remote section of northern Canada. At the time he was listed as the eight richest person in the world and yet he was also a man who had somehow "willed himself into irrelevance."

This is a novel which defies easy categorization. Compared to the focus on three generations of Wylie men - and their wealth - the werewolf theme almost seemed almost a relatively minor sub-plot to me (I realize others may see this differently). Money, wealth, and the ambitions and secrets within the Wylie men often overshadowed the werewolves, although their loneliness, their separation from others, was poignant. And a heads up - those looking for frequent and explicit descriptions of blood and gore might want to look elsewhere.

Contrasted with the Wylies is the life of Jamie Cabot. His view was the one that took center stage for me and it was through his eyes that I saw the Wylies most clearly. Jamie's family come from a modest background. They work part-time for the Wylies, earning several thousand dollars a year simply to do some minor care-taking at a cottage located in Canada.

Jamie eventually realizes that the Wylie family are basically "lords of money". He sees them as people who stand apart from any "morally suspect" businesses. Unlike current day moguls who are willing to raid a company's pension fund or purchase what Jamie sees as "ridiculous yachts", the Wylie men buys companies with one desire - to grow them. They have no interest in either pure power or charity.

Jamie's life intersects most strongly with the Wylies when he hits a rough patch, finding himself broke and alone in the world. That's when he realizes that he might just be able sell the Wylie story (Jamie is a writer), and possibly start over in New York. As he sees it, "Every story is a little miracle. You make it out of nothing and you sell it for money. " He has no idea, of course, where his decision will take him or the great challenges (emotionally and otherwise) he will face in his quest to decipher the mysteries of the Wylie family.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2015 1:04 PM PST