Profile for Clarissa Bowen > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 56

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Clarissa Bowen RSS Feed (Southern California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey
DVD ~ Dakota Johnson
Price: $14.99
33 used & new from $9.86

5.0 out of 5 stars CURIOUS? You should be., February 9, 2015
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey (DVD)
I don't want to give anything away but I was fortunate enough to see an advanced screening of this film on Friday Feb. 6th in Los Angeles, and I have to say---if you are a fan of the book, the movie will likely NOT disappoint you. And if you're not a fan of the book and are simply CURIOUS, you might be surprised (and in a good way, I hope).

As excited as I was to see Fifty Shades of Grey, I had reasonable expectations. And while it is not perfect (though, honestly, I wouldn't have changed much if given the chance), I felt like Sam-Taylor Johnson made an incredible film adaptation out of a wildly popular book that is some 500 pages in length---and with a restrictive R-rating, no less, for such an intensely erotic story. There is a lot missing from the book but the important stuff remains, and many favorite quotes are included.

I think my greatest concern was with how the sex scenes would translate on to the big screen, but they made it work and handled it with style and class. When you consider how much sex is in this film (and there's a lot---as there should be), I never once felt that it was overdone or gratuitous. It pushes a few boundaries, yes; however, everything is done in an extremely tasteful way. What Sam created here is a stunningly beautiful, artistic film unlike anything I have seen before. The chemistry and steam-factor is prevalent from the start. One thing I really loved, though, was the unexpected humor throughout. I appreciated that counterbalance. When I wasn't holding my breath or generating heatwaves in my seat, I found myself laughing a lot---and for all the right reasons, I assure you. As a fan it was honestly everything I could have hoped for and more.

Dakota Johnson embodies the innocent, virginal Anastasia Steele perfectly---and I so enjoyed watching her start off kind of awkward and shy and then blossoming into this confident, empowered young woman. And Jamie Dornan made an excellent Christian Grey. He exuded power and confidence (with an obvious need for control, of course), but with a pained vulnerability beneath a closely guarded steel exterior that Ana only begins to crack the surface of in this first installment. You will especially see his vulnerability in the final scene, which is actually quite heartbreaking.

Not sure what the critics are going to make of this film but I know for sure that most fans are going to love it. And really, isn't that the most important thing?
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2015 4:53 PM PDT

Earned It (Fifty Shades Of Grey) (From The" Fifty Shades Of Grey" Soundtrack)
Earned It (Fifty Shades Of Grey) (From The" Fifty Shades Of Grey" Soundtrack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cause girl you earned it...., January 3, 2015
As a long time fan of both The Weeknd and Fifty Shades, I couldn't have been more thrilled to see this collaboration happen, and it is sheer PERFECTION. Abel's chill vocals contrast well with the intense strings. I have not been able to stop listening since downloading this song at least a week ago. It sets the bar high for the rest of the soundtrack.

Addicted
Addicted
by Charlotte Featherstone
39 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars "He was ruled by twin cravings, oblivion and passion. Opium and Anais. But here, in his fantasies, the two became one.", September 5, 2013
This review is from: Addicted (Paperback)
Words cannot express how much I loved this book. 5+++ stars

It is beautiful, riveting, provocative, gut-wrenchingly emotional, and quite possibly the most erotic/sensual piece of literature I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

It is a story about the terrible lure of drug addiction and the power of love, despite all obstacles.

Even if you're not normally a fan of historical romances, like myself (this is set in 1850's London), I highly recommend you give this one a shot.

Exquisite Corpse
Exquisite Corpse
by Poppy Z. Brite
49 used & new from $1.59

5.0 out of 5 stars "So it's a bit of a game you like, Jay? Well, that's all right, then. I like a game too.", June 7, 2013
This review is from: Exquisite Corpse (Paperback)
This story is sick and perverse and all sorts of wrong yet, like a horrible car wreck, I could not look away from the mangled mess.

EXQUISITE CORPSE is told by multiple POV's, including that of killers Jay and Andrew, as well as the androgynous Vietnamese-American runaway, Tran, and his AIDS infected ex-lover, Luke, in the perfect crime/drug-infested backdrop of New Orleans. Eventually the lives of each ill-fated character come together in a bloody conclusion and, well... you'll have to read to find out who survives and who doesn't. I'll just say it went a completely different way than I was hoping it would, but I was still satisfied with how it ended. Though, perhaps, I would have liked more from the epilogue.

I don't want to spoil too much about the plot (the description pretty much sums it up for you), but words cannot express how much I enjoyed this well told, albeit twisted homoerotic tale of love and murder. I rather like dark, taboo subject matters and I got it here in spades.

This is the first book I've read by Poppy Z Brite but it will certainly not be my last. Color me disturbed yet mightily impressed by the writer's wickedly salacious prose.

"I did not know what Jay was, not yet; but on some instinctual, almost biological level I *recognized* him. I knew then that this man was infinitely dangerous to me. I also knew that I had to go as deep inside him as he would let me."

Slammed: A Novel
Slammed: A Novel
by Colleen Hoover
Price: $13.50
88 used & new from $4.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and hearfelt, April 25, 2013
This review is from: Slammed: A Novel (Paperback)
Slammed is a moving story about loss and the acceptance of death, the only thing inevitable in life.

Will and Layken form an instant connection when they meet, and it's hard to see them make the painful transition from potential lovers to just being friends when a cruel twist of fate forces them apart. It's rough on them both, seeing each other on a daily basis, and there's tension there for sure. However, despite all this, Will helps Layken in the best most selfless way he knows how when life deals her family yet another unexpected blow.

It's touching to see the sacrifices made in the name of love, but heartbreaking too.

I really enjoyed this book. I also really loved the incorporation of Slam Poetry, as well as Eddie whom is such an amazing secondary character. I wanted to hug her on more than one occasion, and wish I'd had a friend like her growing up.

I'm not a huge fan of YA books but this one is definitely worth reading, no matter what age you are. There's some valuable life lessons to be learned here; and, though death is a tough subject to tackle, this book will successfully make you smile, laugh, and maybe even cry.

Forbidden
Forbidden
by Tabitha Suzuma
Price: $6.19
69 used & new from $5.29

5.0 out of 5 stars "How can something so wrong feel so right?", April 2, 2013
This review is from: Forbidden (Paperback)
Where do I even begin? I just finished reading FORBIDDEN and I am emotionally wasted.

Initially, despite the high praises and my love of taboo subject matters, I was iffy reading about an incestuous brother-sister relationship. However, as soon as I started reading Forbidden, my heart ached for Maya and Lochan's situation.

With a father that abandoned them to live with his "new family" abroad and a resentful mother who is rarely ever around, the two eldest children have no choice but to pick up the role of parental figures if they are to stay together and not be taken away into protective services. In addition to their own responsibilities, they are forced to forsake their own childhoods in order to take care of their 3 younger siblings (ages 5, 8, and 13). It's a burden and a great deal of stress on them both, but especially so for Lochan who is extremely smart in school but suffers greatly from social anxiety. He finds it nearly impossible to function around others, and the only person he can truly be himself around is Maya.

Only 13 months apart in age (Maya, 16, Lochan, 17), they've always felt more like best friends than flesh and blood relatives. At first their relationship is purely plutonic---though they've always been close. However, as the book progresses so does the slow development of their relationship. They try in vain to fight their feelings yet their foolish attempts only serve to make them both realize just how much they need each other to survive, and eventually they give in thinking as long as they just kiss and touch they're doing nothing wrong. They have so much to lose if they are caught but, in the end, it is a risk worth taking.

"At the end of the day, it's all about how much you can bear, how much you can endure. Being together, we harm nobody; being apart, we extinguish ourselves."

This is one of those books that took me by complete surprise. I never wanted it to end but couldn't stop reading.

Perhaps I would have been more repulsed by their "closeness" if it hadn't been for my empathy regarding their unique situation and by how well-executed and perfectly written this story was, but I ultimately found myself wanting nothing but happiness for them both because, truthfully, they deserve it. I will say this, though. While this book is apparently labeled for teens, I would recommend it only to very MATURE young adults. The sex isn't overly explicit but there's more than just kissing and holding hands here. Also, things get pretty heated and intense as they struggle to hide their emotions from their family and from the rest of the world who would only ostracize, and criminalize, their love.

This book literally consumed me. I have never been so emotionally affected by a work of fiction in my entire life. By the end this story was ripping me apart, and for the first time ever a book caused actual tears to slide down my face. There are just no words to give FORBIDDEN justice. It was truly beautiful yet tragically painful at the same time.

One thing is for certain: I will never forget Maya and Lochan's story. It will stay with me always.

"She takes my hands and leans in for a kiss. It hurts. Suddenly everything hurts and I don't know why. And suddenly I do know: It's because everything is so beautiful, so wonderful, so utterly glorious---yet it cannot possibly last, and I want to preserve this moment for the rest of my life."

Truth (Consequences)
Truth (Consequences)
by Aleatha Romig
Price: $16.65
34 used & new from $16.43

5.0 out of 5 stars SPOILER WARNING for those who have not yet read Consequences, February 8, 2013
This review is from: Truth (Consequences) (Paperback)
I must admit, upon completing Consequences I was SEETHING MAD. Like fire shooting out from my ears and mouth mad. I loathed Anthony Rawlings with every fiber of my being. I needed to take a breather after the emotional roller coaster that was book 1, but apparently 24 hrs was all I needed before starting Truth because I could not stop thinking about Claire and, yes, even Tony whom I presently despised, wondering what was gonna happen next. I was pleasantly surprised to find Claire stronger than ever before with a newfound purpose in life (other than reclaiming what was stolen from her...and for what? Some sick vendetta against something she had absolutely no control over?!) after being wrongfully imprisoned for the attempted murder of her obviously deranged ex-husband. I just couldn't get over the irony of her being prosecuted and locked away when it should have been him instead...

After spending 18 months in jail, no one is more surprised than Claire when she is pardoned---her record completely expunged, as if nothing ever happened. With a fresh start, new friends and unexpected allies on her side, Claire is finally free and determined to keep the upper hand in this devious game of chess. Her steely resolve is strong...until Anthony learns of her release and her steadfastness begins to waver. I was literally quaking in my boots when Claire's phone rang during a pleasant night out and she heard a terrifyingly all too familiar voice on the other end say, "Good evening, Claire." My heart might have skipped a beat but it immediately proceeded to pound with fear at the chilling words that came soon after: "Claire, you should know, I learned of your release less than twenty-four hours ago. As you can hear, I already have your telephone number. How long do you think it will take for me to learn your location?" I was all on board the Claire's-turn-at-payback-expressway-to-revenge; but then, later on, Tony had to throw a major curveball by proclaiming: "It was the only way to save you." "Save me from what?" "ME." So yeah, that got me thinking... hmm, maybe he isn't Satan's spawn after all... But given all the horrible, unforgivable things he has done to Claire and her family, how can she possibly trust a word he says? Therein lies the problem because a part of her still loves him, despite his prior sins against her (and what mighty big sins they were!). I honestly didn't know what to think at this point because I wanted desperately to hold on to my hatred for Tony, but then a large part of me has been rooting for some sort of redeeming quality from him from the very beginning.

Without giving too much away, I will say the story develops in very unexpected ways. I never knew which direction the story would go in but I was almost always wrong and constantly on the edge of my seat with uncertainty and anticipation. There was never a dull moment.

Lots of new characters are introduced so there is understandably less of Claire and Tony. However, everyone has such a compelling role to play in this crazy, twisted thriller, it never drags with unnecessary information (like Consequences was guilty of doing at times) as lots of shocking revelations are interspersed throughout. And while many questions are answered, many new ones arise as well.

Lets just say nothing is quite as it seems...

I have no idea what Aleatha Romig has in store for us in the final installment of this suspenseful series but I for one am enjoying the ride and cannot wait for Convicted. It will surely prove to be a torturous wait.

Sharp Objects
Sharp Objects
by Gillian Flynn
Price: $7.84
404 used & new from $2.02

4.0 out of 5 stars A chilling debut, February 8, 2013
This review is from: Sharp Objects (Paperback)
This was my first book by Gillian Flynn and it definitely won't be my last. I wanted to try something different from what I normally read and I rather enjoyed this haunting thriller with it's ugly range of disturbed characters as second-rate reporter Camille Preacker is reluctantly sent back to her hometown of Wind Gap, Missouri. Dealing with her own suffocating demons that landed her briefly in a psych hospital, she is forced to face her demons head on as she entangles herself in the poisonous web of Wind Gap inhabitants, investigating the gruesome murders of two preteen girls from tight-lipped authorities and families of the victims; all the while unearthing chilling discoveries of her younger sister Marian's death, previously, as shocking new revelations intermingle with these more recent killings---hitting a little too close to home.

Consequences (Volume 1)
Consequences (Volume 1)
by Aleatha Romig
Price: $15.29
36 used & new from $14.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Consequences have actions...., January 13, 2013
Be warned, this is NOT a romance but rather a disturbing psychological mind**** of a thriller. This is ultimately a twisted story about revenge. It starts out with the carefully deviced abduction of unsuspecting Claire Nichols by the domineeringly handsome self-made billionaire Anthony Rawlings, a respectful entrepreneur and business man. Paying off her debt he seems to think she now owes him, and that in turn he now owns her, until said debt is paid off with her dutiful "services". Locked away from the world in an isolated yet lavish mansion, she is brutally and demoralizingly subjected to rape, abuse (both mentally and physically), as well as submissively being broken down until she literally becomes dependent upon his company.

I absolutely hated Anthony Rawlings from the very start and vehemently loathed him by the shocking conclusion, which has honestly left me reeling. He is a stalker and, quite frankly, a manipulative psychopath. This is not a light read and will test your limits of comfort for sure. Even after Tony begins to treat Claire with love and caring affection after her nearly fatal "accident", there's always an unsettling undertone of something far more sinister bubbling beneath the surface there. You just never knew what little thing might set off his bad side---it was like walking on eggshells around him. Just reading about it was exhausting, I couldn't imagine actually living in constant fear and uncertainty like that!

"She stressed when Tony was good because she knew it may not last. She worried when he was bad because she knew how bad he could be."

He keeps her every move under close scrutiny, and even her gained "freedoms" are limited and constantly monitored with very little interaction with family and friends. This book made me want to SCREAM at times, but I found the story utterly engaging and could not put it down. Definitely a book worth reading if you don't mind enduring a dark, albeit riveting, subject matter.

Hello, It's Mz. Hyde [Explicit]
Hello, It's Mz. Hyde [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello, It's Mz. Hyde, January 28, 2012
It is so good to hear some new music from Halestorm. Their self-titled debut album still remains a favorite of mine and I always go back to it whenever I'm in the mood for some good old fashioned rock n roll, which is hard to come by nowadays. Lzzy Hale delivers with strong, dark, sensual vocals while the band creates heart-pounding riffs around lyrics I can't get enough of... This short 4-song EP is just a taste of what to expect from their sophmore release and I am psyched for it! I especially love "Rock Show". It makes me want to be in the front row--"It's where you gotta be."

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6