Profile for J. Fail > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 29

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Fail RSS Feed (Arizona)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
U.S. Coast Guard Shield Royal Plush Queen size Blanket
U.S. Coast Guard Shield Royal Plush Queen size Blanket
Offered by Urbanity Trading
Price: $51.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could give it 6 stars I would, December 22, 2014
I am retired from the U.S. Coast Guard and thought I would buy this as a Christmas present to myself. Really for the price I did not expect much, I thought it would be lightweight and somewhat flimsy. I was very pleasantly surprised when it arrived. Very plush, pretty heavyweight and high quality. You Coasties out there, get one, you will love it.

Rosewill RX-358 U3C BLK 3.5-Inch USB3.0 Aluminum and Plastic eSATA External Enclosure Hardrive, Black (RX-358 U3C BLK)
Price: $34.99
24 used & new from $32.54

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one to buy, September 17, 2014
I have a couple of these units (Rosewill RX-358 USB 3.0) with 1TB HDD's and they have performed flawlessly. I made the mistake of trying to save some money by buying a competitor's product (Sabrent), I should have learned my lesson that you get what you pay for.

Using the Sabrent and trying to copy large folder contents to the installed 1 TB hard disk drive resulted in errors immediately, USB disconnecting etc. I ordered a new Rosewill RX-358 and all of the problems disappeared. The competitors case had a very noisy fan, and the above described errors. In addition, I did not care for the mechanical setup of the Sabrent. The Rosewill is a far better design mechanically and electronically. I returned the Sabrent to Amazon.

Matricom® G-Tab Quantum 10 Android 4.2 HD+ IPS Quad Core Tablet PC (10.1-Inch IPS, WiFi, Bluetooth)

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, July 16, 2014
There are definitely some problems with this tablet. I previously had a ACER A700 tablet which was a single core processor and I wanted something faster. This tablet is very much faster.

There are storage problems with some of these tablets and possibly a lot of them. Go to the Matricom website > forums > G-Tab Quantum General Discussion, find the "Storage Limits" thread. It will explain what the storage problem is. Matricom has told some that a firmware update is on the way by July 15, 2014 that will address the problem, in my case they told me that I had to exchange the tablet with them since they had no idea when a firmware update would be available. Very contrary and inconsistent statements. Matricom support is not very helpful and very terse in their email replies, I have not tried to contact them via phone since I have seen a lot of negative comments about their telephone support, it is not toll-free.

Also on my A700 I could just plug in a USB cable from a PC to the A700 and the A700 immediately appeared as an available disk drive to the PC. Not the case with this one. You do connect the USB cable between the two but that is when things change. You have enable "USB storage" on the tablet drop down menu. At that point you are warned that "USB Storage" will disable some apps. It certainly does, it disables some of them and moves the icons for the disabled apps to one of the other Android screens making one think they were gone if you were not quick enough to think what actually happened to the app icon(s) that were moved/disabled. You then have to disable USB storage when completed with using the connection between the PC and the tablet. I found I could not access my 32Gb micro sd card in the tablet at all from the PC via the USB connection. On my old A700 that was no problem at all.

This morning randomly my Android display suddenly started "dancing" around on the screen uncontrollably, none of the touch screen icons would respond. I finally pressed the power key for several seconds and the tablet powered down. I restarted and all seemed normal for awhile but then it did it again. I encountered this problem several times. It does not always do it now but very randomly.

The lack of coherent responses from Matricom by myself (and others) make me pretty dubious about dealing with the company. I am giving very serious consideration to returning the tablet to Amazon as a defective product. Possibly when it comes to the screen issue it is an isolated problem with my tablet but the storage problem is real on at least some of these tablets if you look at the complaints on the Matricom forums.

AndrOpen Office
AndrOpen Office
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably slow and crashes, July 7, 2014
This review is from: AndrOpen Office (App)
I use Open Office on all my PCs at home and love it. It is incredibly slow to the point of useless on the Kindle. Don't bother wasting your time with it.

Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7TE1T0BW)
Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7TE1T0BW)
Offered by Platinum Micro, Inc.
Price: Click here to see our price
29 used & new from $385.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't even bother considering any other drive, April 3, 2014
I have several Samsung SSD's. I needed to put a drive with a larger capacity in one of my computers which already had a 512 Gb Samsung SSD in it. I replaced it with a EVO 1TB that I just purchased from Amazon. I restored an image backup created using Acronis True Image 2014, repartitioned the drive and away it goes with no problems of any kind. These drives are by far simply the best and most reliable you can buy. If you have never had a SSD you are in for a shock on just how fast these drives are compared to mechanical drives.

The prices for SSD's are dropping rapidly across the board.

I cannot vouch for any tech support problems with Samsung because I have never had to call them.

[Upgraded Version]Anker® USB 3.0 SuperSpeed 10-Port Hub Including a BC 1.2 Charging Port with 60W (12V / 5A) Power Adapter [VIA VL812-B2 Chipset and updated Firmware 9081] AH231
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $79.99
14 used & new from $33.47

5.0 out of 5 stars I should have bought this one in the first place, March 28, 2014
This is the one to buy. Absolutely no problems of any kind. I made the mistake of buying a little cheaper one by another manufacturer and ran into nothing but trouble. This one has worked perfectly from the moment I plugged it in.

Sabrent High Speed 10 Port USB 3.0 HUB + 5V 2.1A Smart Charging Port with 3 Power Switches LED Indicators and 12V 4A Power Adapter [VIA VL812 Chipset] (HB-RUS1)
Offered by Store4PC
Price: $39.99
4 used & new from $36.96

1.0 out of 5 stars Very unreliable and intermittent, March 27, 2014
I have a number of USB 3.0 devices and they all work well on my computer. I bought this USB 3.0 hub since it had a charging port and external power supply. What a mistake. This hub was grossly intermittent at best. Sometimes Windows recognized it and other times not. I was constantly hearing the Windows sound that plays when connecting/disconnecting a USB device. Nothing was reliable. I thought that maybe one of my 3.0 devices was causing the problem so I removed them all from the hub. Same problem, connect/disconnect sounds even though I was not even touching the hub. I removed the hub and hooked my USB 3.0 devices back directly to the computer and all is fine.

I am returning this unit and will try to find a 3.0 hub by another manufacturer that works properly.

Edit:

I returned this unit and bought another one made by Anker: Anker® USB Hub with 9 USB 3.0 Data Ports + 1 Smart Charging Port (5V / 2.1A) with 12V 5A Power Adapter [VIA VL812-B2 Chipset and updated Firmware 9081]. It works flawlessly. No problems with USB devices etc.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2014 6:21 PM PDT

5 Channel Light Organ Kit
5 Channel Light Organ Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, March 1, 2014
This review is from: 5 Channel Light Organ Kit
Instructions included with the kit were great, easy to follow. All the parts were packaged in assembly stages. The circuit board has all of the parts labeled for easy location. Support by Xkitz is great. Do yourself a favor and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE STARTING. If you do, you will have no difficulty at all. You will need a low wattage soldering iron with a fine point tip (I used a chisel tip).

I only had one minor problem which was of my own making. If you purchase the front control panel option there is a 34 pin connector that uses Surface Mount Technology as opposed to pins that go through the board. I had a cold solder joint on mine that took me quite awhile to find and cure. Absolutely not a problem with the kit, just my own mistake. After I found the problem the Color Organ and Control Panel took off and worked great.

I plan to buy another one to play with. My neighbor was over this afternoon when I got it running and was totally impressed and wants me to build one for him.

La Crosse Technology 308-807 Color Professional Weather Station with Digital Photo and Remote

2.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty display BUT...., March 13, 2013
I have been using this product for a couple of days now. It certainly is a beautiful display. However I question its temperature accuracy very much. I have several wireless sensors for other weather products (I love to experiment). The outside temperature sensor of the lacrosse unit is grossly incorrect. The current temperature at an airport less than half a mile from me is 81°, the lacrosse weather unit shows that it is 104.5°. All of my other weather sensors are showing 81 to 86°. The remote sensor for the wind and temperature is mounted in the clear on a 10 foot mast well above the ground.

The indoor temperature is reasonably close within a couple of degrees. The wind sensor seems to be working fairly well and within reason. I have put in several new batteries in the remote temperature sensor with no change in the accuracy.

I have sent lacrosse and email questioning this gross inaccuracy but they have not responded yet. Judging by other reviewers comments I might not get an answer or I might get the standard email saying change batteries.

I will wait a couple of days and see what their response is. If I don't get a satisfactory result of the issue I will have to send this unit back to Amazon. It is simply too much money for the gross inaccuracy of the outdoor sensor.

One of the things I was most concerned with was the range of the wireless sensors however I found that to be very adequate. The display of photos, the calendar and weather related data is very appealing but the inaccuracy of the external temperature sensor is simply not tolerable.

To say I am disappointed with this product would be an understatement. Far lower priced products are very superior if you want accuracy as opposed to beauty.

Update March 15, 2013:

I gave it up. The outdoor sensor was just wildly inaccurate. Changed batteries, changed location etc., no improvement.
Returned it to Amazon today. Hated to give up, it is just a beautiful display. Placing an order for a Davis 6250 today.

Single LCD Monitor Desk Mount Stand Fully Adjustable/Tilt/Articulating for 1 Screen up to 27" ~ (by VIVO)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, Great price, super easy to install, March 1, 2013
Less than 20 minutes from delivery to installation on my desk. Could not be easier to install. Very, very well made and well worth the price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3