Profile for Shane O. Laake > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 549

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shane O. Laake "camera nerd" RSS Feed (Columbus, OH)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BSN N.O.-XPLODE - Fruit Punch, 1.22 lb (30 servings)
BSN N.O.-XPLODE - Fruit Punch, 1.22 lb (30 servings)
Price: $29.98
7 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Tastes a little weird but packs a punch, August 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These days you can find any number of energy drinks to give you "energy" to play video games, write a term paper, or complete a long haul trucking run. Sadly many lack usable energy (caffeine or guarana alone in a sugar free syrup only pack stimulants, not actual energy). If you're looking for quickly burnable calories to help you through your workout, look elsewhere, as this lacks any usable energy as well.

Sadly, drinking it is a no-pain, no gain affair. Within twenty minutes or so, it starts to come on, and you feel the caffeine (like three cups of coffee) hit you. The caffeine also has a bit of a lasting effect relative to coffee, so you get more caffeine and you get it quickly and to last. Sadly there is no free lunch, as you will crash, and crash hard, as you're probably also going to be physically exhausted from your workout). That being said, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, so there is some magic going on. Likewise they did a good job of making the mix easy to make (it's rather soluble), though as noted before, it doesn't taste great, and it definitely tastes fake.

4 stars for the taste, and you may be better off getting cheap energy drinks (Aldi has them for a buck), as this works out to $1 a serving too.

Thule TPCS-101 Perspektiv Perspektiv Compact Sling (Black)
Thule TPCS-101 Perspektiv Perspektiv Compact Sling (Black)
Price: $64.81
3 used & new from $64.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for mirrorless setups, August 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While I have a variety (let's be honest, too many) of bags for my DSLR kit, ranging from modest bags for a body and a lens to huge backpacks, I've yet to acquire anything that works well for my mirrorless (Fuji EX-2) setup ... until now. This bag is ideal for the somewhat compact nature of that body and it's somewhat smaller lenses (they're not tiny by any stretch of the imagination). This easily fits my body with either the Fuji 56mm f/1.2 or Zeiss 12mm f/2.8 attached and the other riding shotgun. Either or my two (or both, though I wouldn't know why) of my Fuji flashes fit as well.

The build is great definitely befitting of a higher end bag, and I have no doubts about the durability. It's definitely not for everyone. A compact DSLR will fit, but my D7100 with an attached grip, not so much. Bigger SLR glass, not either. Then again Thule and others make bags for that scenario, and this can be used in addition to a larger bag for a DSLR, so you can, as many have started to do, carry a mirrorless body and a DSLR (or easily go from one, to another, to both). That's pretty cool.

DII Cotton Blend, Machine Washable, Hostess Gift, Stocking Stuffer, Chef's or Baking Mrs. Claus Kitchen/Baking Apron for the Holidays
Price: $23.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A usable novelty apron--no more ... no less, August 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Honestly I didn't expect much, and I'm neither disappointed nor pleasantly surprised. It's a usable novelty apron.

I could be more if if:
* It were really 100% cotton (title says it's a blend but photo shows a tag saying 100% cotton)
* Had a real strap around the neck
* Functioning pockets
* Fit taller or shorter people (Goldilocks might be the only one it fits just right)
* Had better details/finishing

That being said, it's a fun novelty, just not exactly worth $20+

Perky-Pet 102B Premium Heavy-Duty Tube Feeder, 23-Inch, Midnight Black Finish
Perky-Pet 102B Premium Heavy-Duty Tube Feeder, 23-Inch, Midnight Black Finish
Price: $34.45

4.0 out of 5 stars The birds love it, August 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Make no mistake, this is a huge feeder
Requires modest assembly
At close to 2 feet long, it will hold a lot of seed
Comes empty
Squirrels can and likely will eat from it
It's supposed to survive the wrath of squirrels, but time will tell

Thus far it hasn't let me down, and the birds immediately took to it. I'm not 100% sure of its long term survival, as it doesn't feel indestructible, but for now it's as good as new. I'll update this review as needed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2014 6:36 AM PDT

3M 08898 Multi Purpose Spray Lubricant - 10.5 oz.
3M 08898 Multi Purpose Spray Lubricant - 10.5 oz.
Offered by Tool Deals
Price: $10.12
9 used & new from $4.56

5.0 out of 5 stars WD40 is great, but this is even better, August 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
WD40 is great, but this is even better. Those are words I never thought I'd say, but they are so true. In general this spray is a like for like replacement, but it doesn't have that WD40 smell, lasts longer, and works better. The real question is that if you already have WD40 and it works for you, should you upgrade. For most people, I'd say no. It's better, but not that much better. That being said if you're in the market, go for it!

TCP RLP3817W30KND2 LED PAR38 - 90 Watt Equivalent (17W) Warm White (3000K) Energy Star Flood Light Bulb 2 - Pack
Price: $34.99
2 used & new from $34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bulbs -- maddening packaging, August 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first thing my wife said when these lit up was "Damn, did we get new light bulbs? It's so much brighter!". In a nutshell, that's what we have here. The warm white light is profound, appears immediately (great for motion sensing flood lights), and fills the expected beam pattern. I couldn't ask more of the bulbs.

Do I recommend these? Kinda. I really hate the clamshell packaging which requires utility scissors just to open. I cannot comprehend why manufacturers continue to use this frustrating and frankly maddening packaging. I'd honestly consider other bulbs ahead of this just based on that. Is it petty, maybe. Anyway, the bulbs a great, the packaging not so much.

Seiki SE50UY04 50-Inch 4K UHD 120Hz LED HDTV
Seiki SE50UY04 50-Inch 4K UHD 120Hz LED HDTV
Price: Click here to see our price
23 used & new from $413.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I took the plunge, August 11, 2014
I really saw this as a one trick pony, and to an extent it is. The low priced 4k picture is still almost unheard of, but I was shocked to find how great the picture was. Don't get me wrong, I've seen better, but at the price, it's better than the best 1080p sets. The set itself looks handsome.

Now there is a compromise, and depending on your needs, it may be a big one. Beyond the lack of 4k content, 4k inputs and standards are evolving, and here you can only get 30hz at 4k. That's fine for movies and TV, but it can cause issues with some games, and may drive you crazy as a monitor. Knowing that, I was surprised with how well it worked as a monitor. There was limited ghosting and almost no bleed. Do know that you may need to play with some of your display settings to get things to work, but that's more of a 4k standards issue.

1080p and 720p content looks OK. From normal distances things look very good, but any closer you see a rather soft picture with the basic upscaling. 4k content lacks this issue, and it's nothing unexpected. I'm sure there are better upscalers, but not in my price range.

I can't recommend this TV to everyone, or even most people. 4k is still evolving, and unless you're using it connected to a PC (and your setup works, you'll probably want to wait. Then again, I'm glad I didn't

Whynter BR-128WS Beverage Refrigerator with Lock, 120 Can Capacity, Stainless Steel
Offered by 3A store
Price: $329.00
2 used & new from $324.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A wine fridge for the rest of us!, August 4, 2014
I've seen similar fridges in some bars and convenience stores, but until now I didn't know one could get a can fridge. I love my wine fridge, but it's a bit warm for beer and pop (or soda or Coke) and the shelves are meant for 750ml bottles (I had to take a couple out to hold my boxes of the red stuff). Now I have a home for my cheap (but oddly good) Trader Joe's beer, Coke Zero, etc... I suppose a hipster could put some PBR in there as well.
In most regards, this is a wine fridge designed for cans, though as noted, it does get colder than many wine fridges. I have mine set at the coldest setting, which does hit the "high 30s" claim at 38 degrees Fahrenheit. It would be nice if it could get a bit colder, but it gets the job done. It will take a while for a full fridge to cool, so you're better off loading it half way and then adding more cans rather than adding a bunch of warm cans at once.
As you'd expect, the door remains frost free, and it looks handsome. Not overly high end, but nice enough. This is a great complement to a home bar, billiards room, home theater, video game setup, etc... The relatively quiet compressor doesn't distract too much, but it does have a compressor, and it's not overly quiet, so it's more suited for environments that can accommodate intermittent but generally quiet noise..

Is this for you? Well in general terms probably not, but in the not so random universe of people who are reading this: probably. It's everything you could want, even if you didn't know you wanted it until now.

Saeco HD 8857 Exprelia Evo Automatic espresso machine
Saeco HD 8857 Exprelia Evo Automatic espresso machine

4.0 out of 5 stars a truly marvelous machine, August 4, 2014
A good superautomatic espresso machine is a sight to behold and a joy to use. This one definitely fits the bill. Like all superautomatics, it aims to turn whole beans and water into espresso with minimal fuss. Like most, it succeeds. What sets this machine apart is the style in which it does it (it's rather handsome if you ask me), the customization options, and the consistent great brews. Additionally, this machine has a convenient milk frother as well as an old school steam wand. Most only have the latter, while others only the former. Having both plays to the customization theme.

In use, you'll definitely like the coffee. It may take some tweaking for your preference at first (grind size, amount of grounds, etc..., but since it's all automatic, it's still way easier (though less hands on) than an automatic or manual machine and a separate grinder. The froth is also wonderful with luxurious micro foam. It also makes some rather great hot milk as needed. I do wish the water tank was bigger, but that's due to heavy use, and refilling it isn't so hard.

The only real knock on this is the price. Granted there are machines that cost more, but you can also get something that does the core superautomatic tasks for a quarter (look for sales and refurbs) of the cost ($1450). I won't deduct a star, as I haven't used a machine as fine as this for less, but you may want to consider other options. Either way, it's an amazing machine and recommended for those with the measn

[Apple MFI Certified] AYL® 8-Pin Lightning to USB Cable (6 Feet / 1.8 Meter) - Made For iPhone 5S / 5C / 5 / iPad Air / iPad Mini, iPad 4th generation, iPod 5th generation and iPod nano 7th generation - OFFICIAL LICENSED PRODUCT
Offered by Accessorise Your Life
Price: $29.00
2 used & new from $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thicker, longer, and satisfies all of my iPhone's needs, August 4, 2014
Apple provides reliable, though somewhat modest cables and accessories with their devices. Somehow many vendors find a way to make gaudy non-functional cables, though Apple's certification efforts have reduced the number of duds. This definitely isn't a dud.

The cable is thicker and longer. Both offer a more premium feel and greater usability. The thicker cord doesn't sacrifice flexibility, and the plug itself also seems a tad bit thicker. It works well, and I've never been let down (charging or data sync). Really, I couldn't ask for more.

Note: the manufacturer supplied me with a complementary cable with the sole condition that I write a review on Amazon.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20