Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Profile for Shane O. Laake > Reviews

Browse

Shane O. Laake's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1092

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shane O. Laake "camera nerd" RSS Feed (Columbus, OH)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ultra Bright LED Lantern - Camping Lantern - for Hiking, Emergencies, Hurricanes, Outages, Storms, Camping - Multi Purpose - Black - Divine LEDs
Offered by Divine LEDs
Price: $45.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ten Dollar Light Out There, May 5, 2016
We're not avid campers, but we have a weekend trip coming up, want to have something handy for prepping/power outages, and whatnot. I picked this in part based on price, but battery type and reviews played a role. All in all I'm very happy with my purchase. The LEDs are bright and clear, don't make much heat, and seem to last forever on a charge.

It's not the best camp light I've seen or even used, but it's a ~$10 light. Ideally it could be more robust, offer a bit more light, and smell like bacon, but it's $10! Some other reviewers mentioned $30+ alternatives, which may be better. I'll take my $10 light.

Salvatore Ferragamo Men's FQ1970015 Lungarno Two-Tone Stainless Steel Watch
Salvatore Ferragamo Men's FQ1970015 Lungarno Two-Tone Stainless Steel Watch
Price: $1,495.00
3 used & new from $1,495.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoy wearing this, but I cannot say that I'm not a bit disappointed in the lack of an exceptional case or band, May 5, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own over a dozen watches--mostly automatic "tool" watches along with a couple fashion watches, which tend to have quartz movements, and this is a bit of an outlier. Frankly if I was looking for a $1500 watch, I'd be looking for a COSC certified three handed automatic watch or a well decorated chronograph. When my wife saw this on my screen, she oooohed: "Ferragamo!", so I decided to give this a try!

After couple days and a signature delivery, I was presented with a gorgeous box. I kinda expected so much, but it was delightfully made. Speaking of expectations, I expected a competent movement in a smartly made & well detailed case held on my wrist by an exquisite strap. While it's quite lovely, I cannot say I was wowed by the overall watch. The movement is competent and had no issues whatsoever. Being a quartz its a bit soulless and hard to differentiate from a far less expensive watch. The case is a step up from $100-200 fashion watches, but not that much better than a Bulova Precisionist (bought for $250) or Tissot that cost a third the price of Ferragamo (though the Tisssot has a totally different feel being a dive watch). Either way the case lacks any exceptional elements of build, though that's not to say it's poorly made in any manor. The watch face has a wonderful look that doesn't at all come across in photos. There are fine details in the marks, hands, and face itself that look quite nice. The band however can be described as a bit of a disappointment. For a company well versed in turning cows into fine leather, this doesn't offer much as $100 after market band would. It's also not the best fit for a giant like me.

I cannot say I'm the target customer in many ways. As noted earlier, I'm more of a watch movement guy than someone who's all that aware of the brand. Then again, I've invested quite a bit in my watch collection, so this wouldn't be that far of a stretch economically. Regardless, I feel if anything I'm being charitable with a 4 star review (it's based largely on the fact that I enjoy wearing it). Throw in a nice well regulated automatic movement, add more details in the case, or go with a far more refined strap. Otherwise, there are a lot of $300-500 fashion watches that aren't that far removed from this.

ERGObaby Adapt 3 Position Baby Carrier, Black
ERGObaby Adapt 3 Position Baby Carrier, Black
Price: $144.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for newborns and great for most needs, May 5, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
ERGObaby has the concept of soft support down, and this carrier is no exception. While some of the other ERGO carriers offer an additional position or two, this one has it's own trick: it doesn't require an adapter or insert for a (7lb+) newborn. The manual does a good job of laying out all of the possible positions for the baby as well as for the straps (which adapt from my petite wife to my rather large frame), which help ease the load. And when the load gets messy, it's easy to clean!

TP-LINK AV500 Powerline AC750 Wi-Fi Starter Extender Kit (TL-WPA4530 KIT)
TP-LINK AV500 Powerline AC750 Wi-Fi Starter Extender Kit (TL-WPA4530 KIT)
Price: $89.99
7 used & new from $74.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for bulletproof reliability and excellent coverage, May 3, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've become quite the Homeplug/Powerline evangelist (I've bought a ton myself as well as for friends & family and Amazon has provided some for review) and a bit of a Debbie Downer on WiFi extenders (solving limited WiFi issues using limited WiFi seems counter intuitive), so this really is in my wheelhouse.

While some Homeplug/Powerline kits are a smidge faster, this one is plenty fast enough, and like the rest, it's a breeze to setup and reliable once established. It should also work well in homes with older wiring (some of the bonded solutions, which are those above 1000mbps, use all three wires, which may not run through older homes--this appears to only use two of the wires). The reliability is doubly important here, as you'll also be using it as an access point, and any issues the access point has connecting via Homeplug will be share with all of the devices that connect to it. Anyway, this has the Homeplug down, and you'll be running plenty fast enough for 1080p streaming and probably 4k too.

The access point feature used to be more common in Powerline kits, but this is one is a rare modern kit with that feature. In general we all tend to have some form of WiFi enabled router, which may be a combo modem unit provided by our ISP. These can be older tech and often are placed where it was once convenient, perhaps even decades ago. Many homes have these either in basements or right by a bunch of electronics in the living room, neither of which are ideal. This solution uses Homeplug like an express train out of the city of congestion and then sets up the WiFi at a more convenient location, be it an upstairs office, bedroom, lanai, etc... It also works well in sprawling "L" shaped ranches, which may have exterior walls separating what otherwise would be line of sight between rooms. Either way, this is much better than a traditional extender, which still relies on your source WiFi, which as noted may be outdated, congested, etc... Homeplug cuts through that, and it simplifies the setup.

The included App works well, and the WiFi has been bulletproof. It's not quite as fast as the best MIMO routers, but they cost way more and lack Homeplug. This is plenty fast, and can do 1080p streaming. I highly recommend this for anyone who has a part of the house that needs a reliable connection for streaming or otherwise, is lacking WiFi on a part of their home, or really anyone looking to give their coverage a boost. You get wired and wireless in one simple package.

Dirt Devil BD10167 Total Power Pet 15.6V Bagless Cordless Hand Vacuum
Dirt Devil BD10167 Total Power Pet 15.6V Bagless Cordless Hand Vacuum
Price: $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for carpeted stairs, May 3, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I ordered this primary for stairs, and let me say it's worth it just for carpeted stairs. Owning a couple cats (who lay on said stairs) and a St Bernard (can't lay on stairs but many of his hairs end up there anyway), I have a bit of a challenge. This vacuum accepted that challenge. The cordless nature helps a lot, as with a townhouse, I can cover both sets of carpeted stairs without an extension cord or moving the plug. The canister does fill quickly with a filthy set of stairs, but now that I'm caught up, it's a breeze to remove from the charger and have a go at the light accumulation before it becomes bad. The brush is essential in either case, as so much gets left behind without it.

As noted earlier the capacity is a bit small, and if not careful, emptying it can prove to be a disaster. With care it's not bad, and honestly, all vacuums in this size range have challenges in this regard. Battery life also is typical. and there's a slight (though manageable) drop off in suction as the end of battery life approaches.

As a purely stairs on'y device, $50 is pushing it, but this will also come in handy with the car (pet hair ends up there as well) or any other "Dustbuster" type moments. My biggest concern is hair accumulation in the brush, but that's yet to manifest itself. I'll update this as needed.

Classic Accessories 73422 Veranda Kettle-Style Barbecue Grill Cover
Classic Accessories 73422 Veranda Kettle-Style Barbecue Grill Cover
Price: $14.59
23 used & new from $10.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful cover, May 2, 2016
This fits my 22.5 Weber Kettle a tad bit large (that's a good thing) and is a breeze to take off and put on. When on it's a handsome cover, and it's much softer than my OEM covers ever were (especially now after the Weber covers' poor wear).

In sure I love this cover, and I ordered one to replace my cover on my Weber Genesis and after that it's time for the WSM.

Strongly recommended

Samsung SR2AJ9040U Wi-Fi Essential Powerbot Vacuum
Samsung SR2AJ9040U Wi-Fi Essential Powerbot Vacuum
Offered by Entegron
Price: $935.00
2 used & new from $549.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Eased all of my robot vacuum anxieties, May 1, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Despite a love of gadgets and a disdain for vacuuming, I've stayed on the sidelines of the robot vacuum world. Cost and early generations of new tech played a role, but a giant St Bernard didn't help. In the end, now was a good time to try.

good suction, a large collection bin, and competent navigation were my ideal wants, and this seemingly made the cut. The box and unboxing experience built to a crescendo, and it felt more like a gizmo than a vacuum. The large wheels and heavy motor stand out when unboxing it, and the brush looks like I means business. The wait for charging begins, and I download the app while I wait. Fortunately it only took 160 minutes (it seemed ready sooner, but I followed the manual).

In practice, it all seems to work. The wheels climb on and off of area rugs, the brush and suction don't beat my Dyson on a good day, but since the Dyson clogs with dog hair quickly, this is about as good (it doesn't seem to clog the brush that easily).I've stuck to the automatic program but it can do some special spot cleaning cycle and a quieter mode (also didn't try). The dust bin is easy enough to empty, but cleaning it and the rest seems like a chore. I guess it's not much better on a Dyson upright, so life goes on. I have it on a daily schedule, and it seems to find its way home and hasn't got into any fights with my pets.

The app seems cool, but I don't use it much after initial setup. The WiFi is "only" 2.4ghz, but it's more than most vacuums. You'll probably end up creating a Samsung account, but the app really isn't essential.

It's hard for me to evaluate this, as noted before I'm not a Roomba guy, It does however address some of the anxieties I've had with them. It does a good job vacuuming daily (I haven't subjected this to a really dirty floor, but it seems to keep turning an almost clean floor into a clean one, and that's working for me). It's not incompetent or in need of more effort from me to help it do its thing. It's pretty much set it and forget it. The battery life seems fine, but I have it wandering around only 600 or so square feet (one floor of a three level townhouse). I'll update this review in time, but I'm very happy with this vacuum.

Peg Perego Booklet, Onyx
Peg Perego Booklet, Onyx
Price: $349.99
9 used & new from $304.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly nimble and gets a whole lot else right, April 30, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While its a relatively large stroller that's both nimble handling (like a little Abarth) and relatively compact (it's no umbrella stroller) folded. The product video really highlights the features, so I suggest you check that out. Some of them include:

* Booklet folding mechanism
* Easy to adjust handle, backrest, footrest, and vents
* Nimble handling
* Sunshade

The build and subtle design aspects are spot on. Really has the feel of a top notch stroller.

Really no cons. There are certainly other competent strollers in this price range

D-Link AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender (DAP-1620)
D-Link AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender (DAP-1620)
Price: $89.99
26 used & new from $76.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, especially as an AP, April 30, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used a bunch of these wall outlet mounted extenders, with mixed results. Part of the issue is how any extender works, which mean sit has to be a compromise of being a good receiver of the existing signal while being placed to be a better provider of a new one, while also being attached to a wall outlet. Oh and cost constraints to hit a good price point can also hurt.

This one ameliorates a few of those issues. For one, it can also act as an AP (using a wired input), which eliminates any issues with receiving the existing signal. The signal it puts out is great, and it seems to work well up against a wall, and when used as an AP, it gets the job done. Setup in any of the scenarios is a breeze.

I recommend this solution, but I'd also consider some of the powerline/wifi AP solotions as well
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2016 9:03 AM PDT

Lixit Animal Care Rabbit Feeder/Water Fountain, 48-Ounce
Lixit Animal Care Rabbit Feeder/Water Fountain, 48-Ounce
Price: $5.99
6 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bun Bun loves it, April 28, 2016
Our bunny seems to always have a full bowl when we look and empty when we look away. I feel terrible when she doesn't have food, so this is a great solution. It works even better for water. She prefers a bowl to a bottle, and this works well as a water bowl (flip the base), so we got two of these. Really nothing else to say, and at the price, it's a steal.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20