Profile for Shane O. Laake > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 587

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shane O. Laake "camera nerd" RSS Feed (Columbus, OH)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
em michelle phan Waterliner Intense Color Eyeliner, Black Night
em michelle phan Waterliner Intense Color Eyeliner, Black Night

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, October 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife is a bit of a makeup aficionado and part time salesperson, so she approached this with a bit of cation, and she's been pleasantly surprised with the rich intense color, smooth application, and durability.

Pros:
* rich vibrant color
* smooth application (likes the sponge & sharpener)
* durable (she uses a setting spray, so that helps)

Cons:
* cost

Eureka EasyClean Corded Hand-Held Vacuum, 71B
Eureka EasyClean Corded Hand-Held Vacuum, 71B
Price: $37.99
147 used & new from $17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A specialized tool with great results, October 22, 2014
I love this little vacuum. It solved my challenge vacuuming the stairs that my uprights and their attachments couldn't really address. The ability to clean risers is a plus too. The suction is limited compared to my uprights, but it makes up for in so many ways (especially with the powerful brush). The hose is short, but it helps with quick tasks or the car.

Turtle Wax (T-128KT) Premium Trim Coating Kit
Turtle Wax (T-128KT) Premium Trim Coating Kit
Offered by Ron's Home and Hardware
Price: $12.99
3 used & new from $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked miracles on an old Volvo, October 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a rather good product. I've tried it on two cars: a 2001 Volvo V70 (lots of faded plastic) and a 2011 Acura MDX (not so much black plastic, and what's there is in far better condition). Both cars saw improvement.

The Volvo is what inspired me to try this, as the ABS style plastic has faded dramatically and pitted as well. It has an entirely different look than when new, and I wanted to get back to that. Overall, it's a success. It was a bit of a challenge to apply, but the results were immediate and dramatic. I'd say they were around a 2 out of ten before and an 8 or 9 after. The pitting remained, but it seemed far less porous and much darker and frankly luxurious.

The Acura has limited cladding (unlike the Volvo which is riddled with it), but with a black car, having faded trim bits shows fast. The trim started as a 9 and frankly looked similar, though glossier when done. I didn't really buy it for this car, and I'm not holding the limited results against this product.

I'd give it a 5 star rating if it were easier to apply or worked a bit better on the Volvo, but if you have a Honda Element, just about any Pontiac, Volvo V70, etc (cars with lots of would be black ABS plastic), give this a try!

Gluten-Free Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Baking Revolution Continues with 90 New, Delicious and Easy Recipes Made with Gluten-Free Flours
by Jeff Hertzberg
Price: $18.96
51 used & new from $16.21

5.0 out of 5 stars The results taste good enough to convince those who eat gluten!, October 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've bought a couple of the other five minutes a day books (read the blog too), and I'm hooked. I don't have celiacs, nor do I tend to avoid gluten (heck I've backed plenty of bread with added gluten), but I did want to try this book and enjoy the bread with those that don't eat gluten.

If you've used a "... bread in five minutes a day" book before, it will be familiar, but for everyone else: the concept involves making a large (the recipes are flexible to allow halving or doubling) batch of dough which you store in the fridge. Each day or how ever often, you shape the dough (much easier to do cold) and allow to warm up/rise. That's the five minutes part, though the dough will spend 90-120 minutes rising. The initial process takes more than five minutes, but by artisan bread standards is very easy. Limited mixing and no real kneading. The recipe is somewhat forgiving, and there aren't that many ingredients needed. Really anyone can make this. One nice thing is that the same master dough recipe can be used for a variety of baked goods, so you won't need to eat the same bread five days in a row (you can if you want, and it will be fresh baked every day).

The biggest change from the other books is the master recipes, which vary to allow for the substitution of ingredients with gluten for those without. You end up with an extra ingredient or two, but there's nothing weird (at least by gluten free standards) or overly complex.

In the end I see the book as a success because the recipes remain easy to follow, the results are quite good, and even those with access to breads made with gluten loved the breads I made.

Two tips:
1) If you're on the fence, google the author or the title. Their blog has many recipes, which you'll probably love. The book helps pay their bills and it includes much more that you don't see on their blog.
2) Use a kitchen scale where possible, especially with the flours. The book includes volume and mass measurements, and the mass is much less susceptible to ruinous variances from humidity or how fine something is ground.

Turtle Beach Ear Force Star Wars Gaming Headset for PC and Mobile Devices (TBS-4035-01)
Price: $57.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Subpar by audiophile standards, but pretty darn good as a Star Wars headset, October 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This isn't a great headset by most objective measures. The audio quality is a bit flat and generally subpar. The comfort isn't what I'm used to, and it's not something I like to use for long. That being said, it's also relatively affordable, and it has Darth Vader on it!

In that context, it holds its own. I've used far worse headphones with Star Wars and similar branding. The ergonomics are otherwise sound, and they get loud enough while isolating outside sounds. All things considered, it's a decent headset.

Nyko Charge Base 360 S for Xbox 360
Nyko Charge Base 360 S for Xbox 360
Price: $22.21
90 used & new from $11.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A great solution for a system that still has life left in it, October 14, 2014
While I don't game as much as most, I use my controllers enough to make alkaline batteries wasteful and expensive and swapping AA NiMH batteries out of the controller and into the charger and back a hassle. I've used the MS Charge and Play kit with mixed results and wanted more.

This largely delivers. The Nyko batteries have enough juice left in them (not sure if there are old new stock or fresh cells) to last plenty of time, and the base makes keeping them charged a breeze.

The only complaint (and cause for losing a star) is the spotty indicator lights. Depending on how well charged the batteries are, you may not see any acknowledgement of what the status is. There's supposed to be a color coded LED indicator, but it seems to work intermittently. Despite this it does charge as you'd expect.

Nyko Intercooler STS for Xbox 360
Nyko Intercooler STS for Xbox 360
Offered by JFJ Disc Repair
Price: $22.49
45 used & new from $15.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended -- DOA, October 14, 2014
It never worked.

I struggled to get it fit, which isn't entirely the manufacturer's fault, as the 360 Slim isn't designed to take such an accessory. That being said, it took 10-15 minutes of trial and error to get it to work. The the manufacturer's credit, while I thought the tabs broke many times while trying to install it, they never failed.

What did fail was the fan. It simply never turned on. My Xbox only had the faint breeze of a now largely blocked CPU fan. The Intercooler never turned on. I turned off the 360 and removed it. I tried plugging the fan into various other USB power sources, and I experienced the same lack of any fan power. I'm glad my 360 seems fine, but I could have caused issues with this "enhancement".

Not recommended
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2014 2:34 PM PDT

XCSOURCE® 3 in 1 OTG Smart TF SDHC Micro SD Card Reader USB 3.0 For Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9000 N9005 BC289
Offered by xcsource
Price: $10.99
2 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It works way better than I imagined, October 14, 2014
I honestly expected this to fail, but it works great on my Galaxy Note 3. I plug in a SD (or specifically SDXC card) from my Nikon, and I can browse the photos, share them via the usual means (SMS, Facebook, Instagram ...). The speed is remarkable given the size of the JPGs.

The build quality is less than ideal, but it hasn't failed me once. I keep one in my camera bag all of the time now.

120mm Dual Ball Bearing USB Powered Case Fan
120mm Dual Ball Bearing USB Powered Case Fan
Offered by Innova-tech
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great solution for a niche scenario, October 14, 2014
My entertainment center is filled with more game systems, HTPC systems, and various support doodads than the limited ventilation can accommodate. I've had no failures nor any forced shutdowns due to heat, but it runs rather warm--hot air in = even hotter air out. I've tried some ad hoc solutions, including a failed Nyko Intercooler to cool an Xbox 360 (never worked), but it was time for a more robust solution.

Considering the lack of failures without added cooling, not much help was needed, but I knew I needed to help get cooler air in and the warm air out. I bought a couple fans for general airflow and then ones for each of the game systems to help when they were turned on. Each device has seen a 3-5 c drop in temperature (idle), with the Xbox 360 benefiting most (it's inlet is at the rear where air was stagnating before).

These don't move a ton of air, but they do move air. 5v isn't much to power these, but they are efficient.

I gave these 5 stars for being very good for what they are, but it's not a panacea.

Black and Decker CM5000B 12-Cup Mill and Brew Coffeemaker
Black and Decker CM5000B 12-Cup Mill and Brew Coffeemaker
Price: $89.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good option among many good options, October 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used more than my share of coffee makers (and types of coffee makers), and this unit holds its own, while shining in a few key areas. I see this as a higher end convenience machine (ie timer and built in grinder), and it this realm it shines.

Pros:
Includes a grinder
Grinder/basket gives you one less thing to clean
Coffee isn't bad
While wide, it isn't the tallest machine, especially considering the grinder
Reusable filter

Cons:
Coffee isn't great (par for the course for this type of machine)
Grinder/basket is hard to clean
Prefer an insulated carafe

Against its peers, you're not giving up much, and you're gaining an easier to clean setup (if you've never used a machine with a built in grinder, you'll find that you'll need to clean that plus the filter, which isn't disposable) than I had with my Cuisinart. The Cuisinart did make better coffee when you pushed all the right buttons. I don't think this gets hot enough.

Against a separate grinder and dedicated coffee make (such as a Bodum pour over or a Bonavita), you're going to loose out in flavor. A burr grinder is much better than what you get here, and a coffee pot that gets the right temp will rock your world, then again having coffee waiting in the morning without any hassle will do the same. YMMV

Against a similar Cuisinart its a draw

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20