Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Profile for Shane O. Laake > Reviews

Browse

Shane O. Laake's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1006

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shane O. Laake "camera nerd" RSS Feed (Columbus, OH)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dyson Small Ball Multi Floor, Iron/Satin Yellow
Dyson Small Ball Multi Floor, Iron/Satin Yellow
Price: $486.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, nimble, and better at capturing dust than older models, February 5, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While we already own a Dyson that's been kicking for the better part of a decade, between carpet, lugging a vacuum up the stairs, and a St Bernard, a third one (we previously had one in the basement and one on the main floor with a not so good Hoover upstairs) was very welcome. Having it come in the form of a nimble and somewhat compact model that can slip under the bed , wiggle around night stands, and devour all that fur is amazing!

I've used first and second generation Dysons (own DC7 and DC14), and of the ones we own, ones own by friends, and ones owned by family--all still are working strong. When using this latest and greatest, I was left wondering if those old workhorses could use an upgrade. The answer is yes! First off this was my first "ball" model, and while it's a design Dyson has used for a while, it was immediately apparent how it's an upgrade. While the wheels are fine for large indoor spaces, the wheel comes to life in tighter confines of an apartment or condo. The smaller size helps too, and I'm glad Dyson offers choices in size and innovates in mobility. I guess I kinda expected those two factors to stand out, but this new Dyson seems to have improved what brought me to Dyson in the first place--the suction/filtering. I've never used a two tier cyclone Dyson or one with the upgraded brush (both launched three years ago), but it sure cleans captures the fine dust and leaves this asthmatic very happy.

The rest is your usual Dyson (and I mean that in the best way). Soundly engineered, lightweight, durable, and built with an attention on usability others lack. I've used way too many knock offs that can't get the bin right. Dyson does. Trigger opens it, the bottom drops immediately without assistance, and everything inside follows. I've had various Hoovers fail at all three and have a fragile latch. It's not just the bin, everything else feels like it's been refined to a high level. All of this while being only 12 very well balanced pounds. I cannot speak to the long term durability of this particular unit (I will update this review in the future), but I've owned a couple DC14s (one lost in a divorce, but it was going strong) and a DC7. In 20+ vacuum years I've replaced one belt (St Bernard hair may not have helped), one front brush bar (St Bernard hair in the bearing), and one hose (we use our Dysons like work tools, so it could well be our own neglect/rough handling). All were fixed easily with readily available parts and no tools. I don't expect this to be any worse. I have two broken Hoovers and a Eureka that needs tools to open/clean just from the past 3 years. Dysons are an investment, but you'll pay less in the long run.

The only real negative, and this is more of "it is what it is" relates to the vacuums height (about a foot less than other models) and mine. I'm 6'7" and as you see in the photos, the vacuum is petite. As no vacuum really works well for giants like me, it's not a biggie. For a compact, the handle size and ease of movement does make stooping over a bit easier.

I'd get the bigger model for most homes, but smaller homes (perhaps a Cape Cod) and apartment/condos could really use the compact size this vacuum offers. I highly recommend Dyson and depending on your situation, this particular model. We may well be replacing our old DC7 with a Big Ball Dyson ourselves!

PNY CS2211 240 GB 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive SSD7CS2211-240-RB
PNY CS2211 240 GB 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive SSD7CS2211-240-RB
Price: $69.99
21 used & new from $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars There are many great SSDs out there, and this is one, February 5, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've bought SSDs from Samsung (two M.2 cards and a 2.5"--all SATA), Intel (screaming fast NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4), and various SanDisk, Corsair and OCZ. All have worked rather well and met/exceeding my expectations (framed by 3rd party reviews). When I was given the opportunity to try this out, I pounced.

Based on marketing and reviews, I excpected this to slot in faster than the Corsair BX200 and in the ballpark of the Samsung 850 EVO and Sandisk Ultra II. In practice it definitely feels like the random and sequential speeds are there. I certainly don't experience any form of delay on loading screens (6 core i7 running at 4.4gz with 16gb of DDR4), and the overall performance matches the same games on the EVO or Ultra II. The Intel 750 gets the most demanding games (hi res open world titles), but it costs much much more and has a limited set of boards that can accommodate it. In various other tests, I'd say this slots in closer to the SanDisk Ultra II than the Samsung 850 EVO, which frankly is amazing. I'd say they're in the same class, and this is cheaper than the Samsung.

In all honesty, the desktop market (servers and other specific markets value encryption, old school single bit cells, etc...) has a few tiers, and within those tiers it's products are largely commodities sold on price.

Tier 1 -- NVMe PCIe (can be M.2, 2.5". or PCIe card format)
Intel 750

Sandisk Ultra II
PNY CS2211
Many many more

Tier 3
Just about any other SSD, including name brand entry level drives and lots of generics

For the price now, this is a very good deal. The software is nice, though I've gotten a half dozen copies over the years, as most name brand drives come with it. The warranty is good, and I've yet to have a single PNY product fail in a decade or so of use. The performance is there, though I'd still take a Samsung 850 EVO at a similar price point. It's not much, so if you get a good price on this, you'll never look back.

Activeon CX Action Camera (Onyx Black)
Activeon CX Action Camera (Onyx Black)
Price: $92.79
10 used & new from $89.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The action cam for most folks, February 3, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The GoPro series of cameras took the world by storm with their surprisingly good picture quality, robust build, affordable pricing, and all the crazy things people tried due to these factors. The results speak for themselves and attracted competition. Given that the various bits that make a GoPro are not that exotic or proprietary, viable alternatives such as the Activeon seemed inevitable.

But are they worth it? Absolutely! If you want the absolute best, Get one of the best GoPros out there, but if you're looking for a rugged 1080p camera that has all the features you want and top picture quality, this is a great alternative for some of the older/lower end GoPros.

In terms of image quality, you don't really leave anything behind (compared to a GoPro Hero). There are cheaper knockoffs, but they lack the lens/sensor/processing to deliver what this can.

In terms of photo features, you're not getting 60fps 1080p or 4k at any speed. For me that's OK, as those features double or quadruple the cost (there is a Aciveon Gold model that adds 60fps 1080p that looks pretty sweet).

In terms of usability, you get WiFi, a screen, and a simple interface. This is much better than the comparably priced GoPros offer (the original Hero isn't much more than this but lacks a screen). You also can use most GoPro accessories.

There definitely are limitations, but for the price, the compromises are very well though out and in practice, you don't really encounter many limitations. For most folks, this is a better buy than a GoPro.

South Beach Skincare All In One Anti-Aging Treatment 2.54 oz
South Beach Skincare All In One Anti-Aging Treatment 2.54 oz
Offered by LIVING ESSENTIALS
Price: $189.00
7 used & new from $175.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good product at a price that demands better., February 1, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Wow, I've never read such polarizing reviews, but after discovering that most (though not all) negative reviews were due to the selling practices of the vendor and knowing that Amazon shields you from that, I took the plunge and ordered some for my wife.

In a world of 1/2 oz serums and other tiny products, we were impressed with the sheer volume of the stuff. At first I figured that it's the same stuff just diluted, but it really does seem to go pretty far. The smooth yet heavy base allows for applying modest amounts of the product to cover large areas, and it certainly feels great. It was also great reading that it's cruelty free and seems to be made with good ingredients. As far as results, well its hard to really say thus far, but there is a noticeable tightening and smoothing of the skin after a week or so. More than anything, it moisturizes and leaves you refreshed--and it does so without any bothersome scents. As this lacks any SPF, you'll want to supplement this with something else before heading out.

While the size of the product is somewhat generous, it's price is not. While ordering from Amazon will save you from some of the hassles of ordering directly, it's hard to handle the price. It is what it is, so you'll need to decide for yourself. For me, it's too high. The results weren't that great, nor did it feel that great. It's a hard price to justify, and it's not justified here.

Luxsure® 2 in 1 Multi colors Rubberized Matte Hard Shell Case Protective Case Cover with Matching Keyboard Skin Cover for Macbook Pro 13" (Non-Retina) - Fits Model A1278 (Purple)
Offered by Luxsure
Price: $32.99
2 used & new from $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Allows for a durable kid proof solution, January 27, 2016
This feels kind of cheap and plasticy, but it stays attached rather well and my wife likes it. It also has prevented my fat cat from cracking the glass screen overlay, which happened before putting this shell on.

The keyboard cover lacks any form of mechanism to attach to the keyboard, but that's not an issue. Whether it's static cling or form fitting design, it just works.

Together, this makes an older formerly cutting edge MacBook Pro into a more durable kid proof solution.

SanDisk Ultra Fit™ CZ43 16GB USB 3.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive Up To 130MB/s Read- SDCZ43-016G-G46
Offered by SaleSpot
Price: $10.71
33 used & new from $2.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as small as I hoped, but feels much faster than I expected--great for alternative OS, January 27, 2016
I ordered a few of these to install various alternative operating systems on. It's actually a great way to put Chromium on a laptop to make it a Chromebook as needed (a great "if it hits the fan" backup for Windows). It sticks out more than you hope, so the curve helps a lot. It's still easy to remove as needed, and the speed is actually quite sufficient for Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, etc...

Outside of this or similar use cases, you'd be better off with a cheaper and easier to find thumb drive.

FRAM CF10134 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter
FRAM CF10134 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter
Price: $12.45
44 used & new from $12.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy installation on my Acura MDX, January 27, 2016
I didn't realize how nasty the old filter was until I put this new one in. Replacing the filter was a breeze (pun intended). My 2011 Acura MDX (like many vehicles) places these in the glove box (actually behind it), and all I had to do was empty everything out, squeeze the semi rigid sides in a bit and let it drop all the way down to open up various hidden things, including the cabin air filter location.

Do note that these filters are directional, so note the dirty side of the old one and make sure the new one points away from what was the dirty side. My car had arrows on the frame which helped too (if nothing else, the air usually comes in from between the windshield and hood and goes down from there). My frame had a place to slide the outer bits of the filter to prevent air from bypassing the filter, so look for that.

5 stars for the filter and it's very easy to do.

0 stars for Acura having the manual not show how to replace this (merely tells you to go to the dealer, who charges $75 to replace this).

JSER 10 Pin Motherboard Female Header to Dual USB 2.0 Female Adapter Cable 50cm
JSER 10 Pin Motherboard Female Header to Dual USB 2.0 Female Adapter Cable 50cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for dongles, January 27, 2016
My motherboard had a couple extra USB 2.0 headers that I wasn't using, and I wanted to pug my wireless mouse and gamepad dongles up front without wasting a USB 3.0 port. This does the trick! I attached two of these to my two USB 2.0 headers and ran them through a hole in the bottom of my case.

Cablecc 10 Pin Motherboard Female Header to cablecc Dual USB 2.0 Female Adapter Cable 50cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for dongles, January 27, 2016

Rain-X 850005 R12B Expert Fit Rear Blade, (Pack of 1)
Rain-X 850005 R12B Expert Fit Rear Blade, (Pack of 1)
Price: $11.14

5.0 out of 5 stars It fits my 2011 Acura MDX and it works well, January 27, 2016
This fits my 2011 Acura MDX perfectly. I was initially affraid that it didn't, as unlike some other blades, it lacks a complete post to go in the socket. From certain angles, it looks like its even missing something, but it actually has a curved bit that matches the radius of what the pin would need, and it even makes installing it a bit easier.

Long story short, it fits!

The blade itself isn't remarkable. It keeps the glass free of water and doesn't trade a streak for water beads, but it's a very modest blade. Not a whole lot of engineering going on--not that 12" needs that much engineering. Anyway, it fits and it works well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20