Profile for Shane O. Laake > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 666

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shane O. Laake "camera nerd" RSS Feed (Columbus, OH)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips 452391 65-Watt Equivalent SlimStyle BR30 LED Dimmable Light Bulb, Soft White, 2-Pack, Frustration Free
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, bright, and sharp looking, March 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
At first the awkward shape of these bulbs didn't appear to fit in my recessed cans, but a quick look at the measurements proved otherwise. This allowed me to replace two bulbs 15 feet from the ground (cathedral ceiling) and not worry about replacing them any time soon (LED longevity is beyond compare). The light is direct, warm (in feeling, though neutral in terms of color temp), and rather powerful--the 65w equivalence is legit. The bulbs get warm, but not overly so. They also lack the heft that hotter running LEDs and incandescent bulbs are burdened with. We don't have dimmers on this circuit, but it's nice that the bulbs can work with them (though LEDs don't generally dim well on conventional circuits).

I really can't say much more, other than the fact that I recommend these bulbs.

Olay Regenerist Luminous Brightening and Protecting Lotion with SPF 15 Fragrance-Free, 1.7 Fluid Ounce
Price: $20.29
11 used & new from $12.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks and feels great, but I wish there was more SPF, March 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The lotion feels great, both in application (rich and thick, but not too much so) and on the skin. It doesn't feel heavy or greasy, and it absorbs nicely. It actually feels great. The look is subtle, but it definitely brightens. I can mix it with my foundation or use it on it's own. The only issue is that the SPF, while it's nice, is way too low for my needs. I'll still need a way to get closer to spf 45 with another product.

Arsenal FC Woven Winter Scarf (Red/White/Yellow)
Arsenal FC Woven Winter Scarf (Red/White/Yellow)
Offered by Samzuzo
Price: $17.95
8 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks sharp--genuine merchandise., February 27, 2015
I don't generally wear scarves, but this seems nice, and I'm a Gunner, so this is more about that. The Quality seems nice with good fit and finish, bright colors, and all the right logos in the right places. Doesn't appear to be a knock off. The reversible design is an added plus. As it's acrylic, it should last a while. I'm very happy.

Whirlpool 786324 Igniter
Whirlpool 786324 Igniter
Price: $34.88
14 used & new from $28.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked miracles on an old Amana, February 27, 2015
Our Amana AGS760WW range (from the early 80s) starting becoming slow to light and eventually just reeked of unlit gas. Some online research revealed that the igniter heats up by was of resistance and the flow of current then triggers the gas valve to open. A complete, but poorly performing ingniter would display my symptoms, so I sought out the right part.

When shopping on some appliance part website, my handy Amazon Google Chrome plug in displayed a message saying that Amazon had it, and sure enough they did (and at 40% of the price) and it was available with Prime shipping! I never knew to look at Amazon. The first igniter arrived on a sub zero day, well packed but was broke. Having read other reviews I understood these to be highly brittle, and sure enough it was. As noted it was very well packed, but the conditions were less than ideal. A prompt replacement was dispatched, and it arrived intact.

I skooted the oven out, unplugged the power (left the gas line connected), and removed the door and racks. The metal guard that shrouds the ignited was held in place by three easy to remove sheet metal screws, and the I pulled the old igniter out. At first glance, it seems much bigger than what's in my oven, but much get's hidden behind the back wall. It's an identical part. I fished the wire nuts out via the smallish hole to unscrew the old unit. I replaced the plastic ones with new ceramic wire nuts (rate for high temps, but the old ones should work). Note these were not included with the replacement part, but likely weren't needed. Then I put everything back into place. The hardest part was removing the metal guard from the old igniter and installing on the new one, especially while being fearful of it's brittle nature. All in all, it took 20 minutes, including putting the door back on (which can be tricky).

Everything worked great, and the oven heats much faster than I've ever seen. It must have been going bad these last few years. I'm so glad I fixed this myself.

Amco Measuring Spoons for Small Amounts
Amco Measuring Spoons for Small Amounts
Price: $14.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but good enough, February 27, 2015
These stamped steal spoons don't eschew precision in their manufacturing, but then again, precision is better accomplished through mass, not volume measures. Continuing on that vein, pinch, hint, smidge, and drop aren't exactly precise measures, but all in all, these work well measuring bulk sucralose (1/64 of a teaspoon is roughly equivalent to a teaspoon of sugar). I wish these were measured in fractions of a teaspoon, but for my uses, it works OK.

Would I recommend these, not really, but you can definitely do worse. I don't intend to replace these, so I guess they're good enough.

Bissell 1316 Bolt Reach Pet Cordless Hand Vacuum, 14.4-volt
Bissell 1316 Bolt Reach Pet Cordless Hand Vacuum, 14.4-volt
Price: $68.21
2 used & new from $61.39

4.0 out of 5 stars A great cordless vacuum with less than stellar pet aspirations, February 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have four pets ranging from a bunny to a St Bernard, and I've invested in a variety of vacuums and other items targeted for pet owners. This one doesn't deliver fully on the promise, but it's a nice cordless vac.

I bought this to quickly clean up the little rabbit droppings that tend to accumulate wherever my little Petra Cottontail spends her time. It excels at that, and honestly I love this vacuum for that reason alone. Granted when Bissell designed a vacuum for pet owners, I don't think rabbit owners were their target audience. Sucking up stubborn cat and dog hair seems more the typical use case, and even using the magic rubbery nubs, this vacuum fails at being exceptional in this task. The attachment doesn't really stay on, and it's a lot of effort. A rubber hair rake followed by sucking up the loose hair works as well if not better.

In other uses that may have seen me use a Dustbuster 30 years ago, this unit once again does well. In short, it's a mighty fine cordless vacuum, that tries (and doesn't quite succeed) at filling a niche. With the right needs/expectations, I wholeheartedly recommend this fine unit

Rose Gold Plated Sterling Silver Created Pink Opal and Created Pink Sapphire Halo Pendant Necklace, 18"
Price: $27.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Not exceptional, but could be good for the right circumstances, February 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As an inexpensive piece with a man made stone and plated chain, it's nice. It's small, lacks the refinement of a pricier setting, and while my opal didn't have any overt flaws, the other of the two reviews (thus far) did, so YMMV. That being said, the rose tone is both trendy and appealing, it looks like it's worth $30, and it made someone happy.

So for the right person, on the right occasion, and with the right expectations, it's quite nice, but you're not getting anything exceptional or without compromises.

Anolon Advanced Nonstick Bakeware 11-Inch by 13-Inch Crisper
Anolon Advanced Nonstick Bakeware 11-Inch by 13-Inch Crisper
Price: $16.99
10 used & new from $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for lovers of tater tots (and who isn't?), February 24, 2015
I love my Analon pots and skillets, and I also enjoy a good tater tot, so when I wanted to upgrade my tater tot game, I gave this a whirl. I'm so glad I did. First off, this is a solid, stiff, well made pan. Magic holes or not, this is not some poorly made gimmicky piece that will rust overnight (I've bought enough of those to learn my lesson). Of course it still does have those magic holes, non stick surface, and nice silicone grip, and all work amazing! It's a little small, but I can fit a could in my over, and it fits in my microwave/convection oven (a huge plus), so I guess the size is a positive.

I really couldn't imagine this being any better. Kudos!

ASUS Audio Dock for Transformer-Series Tablets
ASUS Audio Dock for Transformer-Series Tablets
Price: $111.64
3 used & new from $84.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't charge tablet--useless, February 24, 2015
I'm not 100% sure if my particular unit was broken or it's just a horrible design, and that's a problem on so many levels.

It doesn't charge my tablet, and oddly enough, through a lack of any included manual and vague product descriptions (here and on a half dozen other places I tried, including the manufacturer's website), I'm not sure if it's intended to. There's talk of using this dock to watch movies etc..., which I certainly can't do without added power, but who knows. The included power cord is different than the usual one (unlike the keyboard dock and dock with ethernet, both of which take the same one as the device itself), and it's 12v 3a specs really don't seem to have any headroom to charge the device (typically wants 15v and 2a or something like that). Anyway, without charging, it's rubbish. 2 stars probably is overly generous.

FYI, I tried this on a Transformer Prime and Transformer Infinity. Same rubbish results. Fail.

The sound is good, but not great. $40-60 dock good, not twice that. The angle works for a desk, but on a nightstand (my intended use with Pandora's clock radio app), it's less than ideal.

LAX Gadgets Slim and Protective Grip Shield Case for iPhone 6 - Retail Packaging - Gold
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A 5 star value on a basic slim case that doesn't do anything wrong, February 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you're looking for an attractive, relatively compact, basic case for the iPhone 6 and don't want to break the bank (seriously, you can buy a 7" Windows tablet for less than some iPhone cases), give this a look.

It's easy to put on your phone, the holes are in the right places, the switches and lightning port are accessible, and it doesn't make it too hard to hold (both in terms of glossy/slickness and bulk). That's really all I ask. The looks are somewhat subjective, as the gold is a bit much, but why not? It's what I went with. The black doesn't really try the faux carbon fiber thing (one that did it right might be cool), and I've yet to see the silver.

I'm torn on 4 vs 5 stars. It's not the best case or even among the top 10% or so, but it's also a $15 case in a world of $25+ cases.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20