Profile for R. DiTommaso > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. DiTommaso RSS Feed (Rochester, MI)

Exposure: From Snapshots to Great Shots
Exposure: From Snapshots to Great Shots
by Jeff Revell
Price: $16.55
45 used & new from $1.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guide for Photography basics, October 30, 2012
This is one of several "From Snapshots to Great Shots" books that I recommend. I enjoy the skillful mix of images and text that work well to support each other. This book not only covers the basics of exposure very well, but it goes on to elaborate on how to handle numerous challenging situations with exposure adjustments. Each chapter concludes with an assignment page. I have used this book as the basis for several workshops and found the assignments in each chapter work well to reinforce the material described in that chapter. If you want to learn how to control exposure this book is a great tool to set you down the path to being able to harness the true power of your DSLR.

Stylus, amPen® Hybrid Stylus (Black) for Apple iPad Air/iPad 2/iPad Mini, Apple iPhone 6 (4.7)/6 Plus (5.5)/5/5s/5c/4s, Nexus 5/7, Galaxy Tab 4/3/2, Galaxy S5/S4, HTC One M8/M7 (Interchangeable Hybrid Tip Feature)
Offered by TechMatte
Price: $8.95
3 used & new from $6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance at a very reasonable price, October 30, 2012
I have needed a stylus for some time now, but have been unwilling to spend $20 - $30. After much research I decided to try the ampen hybrid stylus. I am very pleased. The tactile feel is very nice and it is well constructed. With a price south of $10 I could not have been more pleased.

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)
by Scott Kelby
Price: $31.48
85 used & new from $4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to learn Lightroom from scratch or as a reference guide, September 19, 2012
The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 book for digital photographers is billed as "#1 BEST-SELLING BOOK ON LIGHTROOM". I can see why. This is my go to book for Lightroom. I own every edition of this book, this being the 4th. With the advent of Lightroom 4 there were new modules and substantial changes to the develop interface. This book is an ideal reference guide. If I have a question I can quickly find the answer. Most topics are addressed in 6-8 pages and well illustrated with screen shots from the software making it easy to get an answer and get back to work.
I teach dozens of photography workshops every year to hundreds of people and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom is the program I recommend. I tell them when they buy the software, buy this book and you will be off to a great start. Kelby does a great job of explaining Lightroom in a very orderly and logical approach. The book addresses how to setup your interface and catalog preferences. Pay attention to the discussion on the importance of establishing a good organization strategy from the beginning. Most computer books are a chore to read, which is not the case with this book. If you need to learn Lightroom this book will get you down the path faster than any other I have seen.
If you own Lightroom and have questions, the answers will be in this book. If you are contemplating Lightroom and wonder if it is for you, this book will show you the true power of the program.
Buy the current version of this book and the software. Lightroom 3 is history and there is no point in investing in an outmoded program, the same goes for this book. Lightroom 4 is substantially different than version 3, and if you are using Lightroom 4 you want the book that matches your program.
To me a review is more meaningful when you know a little something about the person writing the review. I became a full-time professional photographer in 2008, but have been an avid amateur photographer since the late 1970's and have been selling my work since 2004. I currently do my database and global image adjustment work in Adobe Lightroom and all specialized post-production is done in Adobe Photoshop
I am a member of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) and make extensive use of the abundant educational materials available on the member website. I have read well over three-dozen Photoshop training guides with one overriding goal in mind; producing the best images possible.

Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature
Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature
by Matt Kloskowski
Price: $34.66
71 used & new from $1.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, enjoyable, will stand the test of time, September 3, 2008
Layers, The complete guide to Photoshop's most powerful feature by Matt Kloskowski is described by the author as "the Photoshop book he wishes were available when he was trying to learn Photoshop." I couldn't agree more. I see others say that there is nothing new here, I disagree. The manner in which the material is presented is better and easier to follow than many other guides that have preceded it.

It is 255 pages long and written so as to guide you from start to finish assuming you have zero familiarity with layers, but it is also contains loads of information for those of us that have played with layers for years, but always felt there was a lot more potential waiting to be mined. The contents are well laid out and the topics all stand well on their own, so feel free to jump right in and start playing wherever your interest take you.

Like everything the Kelby team does, the layout appeals to the visual senses immediately. The images and examples throughout the book are well done and demonstrate real world examples of how easy it can be to correct or enhance your images using a few strategically executed layers.

Matt Kloskowski clearly knows his stuff and does a great job imparting that knowledge in a succinct and enjoyable manner. This is a great second or third book for anyone that has the basics of working in Photoshop under their belt.

To me a review is most meaningful when you know a little something about the person writing the review. I have been an avid amateur photographer since the late 1970's and have been selling my work since 2004. Photography isn't my day job, but it does provide a welcome supplement. I shot with a Canon 1D Mark II Professional Digital SLR from 2003 until May of 2008. I recently switched to a Nikon D3 and while the files do have a different look directly out of the camera, in the end both systems provide wonderful images once they have been worked in post process. When I last wrote a review I was doing all most all of my post processing work in Photoshop, but my workflow has evolved significantly since the introduction of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.

The Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book for Digital Photographers
The Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book for Digital Photographers
by Scott Kelby
Price: $39.16
182 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best initial guide to Photoshop, September 3, 2008

The Photoshop CS3 book fore Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby is THE book I recommend to anyone that is new to Photoshop and feeling overwhelmed by the program. I have worked extensively in Photoshop since 2001, and I feel as though I have only scratched the surface of what the program is capable of offering. The learning curve with Photoshop is formidable. This book is the best guide I have found for getting you up and running quickly and effectively. Don't think that it is only for newbies however; there are many great tips for users of all experience levels throughout the entire book.

You won't find a great deal of Photoshop wizardry in this book, but that's not the point. This book is dedicated to explaining the basics, and helping you really master the underpinnings of Photoshop so that when you ready to take it to the next level you are doing so from a rock solid foundation. Having said that there is a tremendous amount of material covered in this book. You will learn how to handle numerous real world problems that every photographer faces at one time or another.

In a nutshell the books walks you through how to setup the program so that it works intuitively for you. Next you learn how to import and organize your images so you will be able to find them later. Once you are able to upload, store and retrieve your images then you start to learn how to correct the myriad of technical problems that are typical with digital photography. At the end there are several chapters dedicated to preparing your images for printing including numerous suggestions for ways to present your work like a pro.

There are 457 pages, most of which are written in classic Scott Kelby form. If you have never read one of Scott's books you are either in for a treat or will find yourself groaning... a lot. I happen to really enjoy his writing style, which is good because he is a prolific writer and consummate educator. If you have a thirst for Photoshop knowledge you will come across his work again and again.

I copied the next few lines directly from my review of Layers by Matt Kloskowski, because it sums up this book just as accurately. Like everything the Kelby team does, the layout appeals to the visual senses immediately. The images and examples throughout the book are well done and demonstrate real world examples of how to correct or enhance your images in Photoshop.

I'll repeat myself to make certain you come away with a clear understanding of how strongly I recommend this book. Scott Kelby far and away writes the best guides to Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom that I have ever come across. His are the first books to buy when faced with learning either program.