Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for A Praying Engineer > Reviews

Browse

A Praying Engineer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A Praying Engineer RSS Feed

Lift Every Voice and Sing
Lift Every Voice and Sing
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat gimmicky arrangement, November 9, 2012
I was disappointed in this arrangement. The hymn itself is strong and powerful, and offers hope, faith, and commitment borne out of the American black experience. But the arrangement relies on cleverness -- tempo and dynamic variations -- that rob it of its strength and pathos.

Before the Throne of God Above
Before the Throne of God Above

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusually worshipful, November 9, 2012
Of all the versions of this song that I sampled, this seemed to be the most genuinely worshipful. And as I have listened to it, my initial impression has been confirmed. There seems to have been an unusually strong presence of the Spirit that comes through the music.

In addition, the lyrics are clear and easily understandable, all the verses are there, and there are no unusual musical gimmicks involved.

Adventures in Prayer (Catherine Marshall Library)
Adventures in Prayer (Catherine Marshall Library)
by Catherine Marshall
36 used & new from $1.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Lessons from Real Life, September 23, 2009
"Adventures in Prayer" is a remarkably helpful book. In her writing, Catherine Marshall couples great simplicity with the authority of personal experience. Like many of us, she struggled with prayers that seemed to go unanswered. But through her struggles she learned a lot about what prayer is really all about, and she shares some of those lessons with us in this book. The importance of admitting our helplessness, getting in touch with our deepest dreams, of waiting with persistence, of relinquishing our demands on God, of secrecy, of laying hold of specific promises from God's Scripture are all there. But underlying all is a deep cognizance that in praying we can approach God as we would a loving parent who is completely trustworthy.

For people who are less interested in theory and more interested in lessons from real life, this book is highly to be recommended.

Healing
Healing
by Francis MacNutt
Price: $18.05
99 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An engineer's approach to healing prayer, July 22, 2009
This review is from: Healing (Paperback)
Francis MacNutt is an unusually clear-thinking and intellectually honest author on the subject of prayer. While he has learned from sources as diverse as Agnes Sanford, Tommy Tyson, and Jo Kimmel on the one hand and Paul Tournier on the other, his synthesis is his own. MacNutt's is the closest I have known so far to an engineering approach to prayer.

This volume is his most comprehensive on the subject of Christian healing prayer. He traces healing prayer back to the earliest centuries of the church; identifies the usual arguments against healing prayer and answers them in simple terms; and discusses the major factors involved. In Part Three he usefully divides the kinds of healing that we can pray for into forgiveness of sins, inner healing of emotional problems, physical healing, and deliverance and exorcism, and discusses the different approaches that he has found useful for each.

MacNutt warns against turning individual experience with healing into a general principle: "When universal laws are erroneously deduced from paricular inspirations, grace becomes law all over again," he says in the chapter on "The Mystery of Faith." Nevertheless, he does elucidate general principles that he has worked out from the multitude of experiences he has had over the years.

Chapter 17, entitled "Twelve Reasons Why People Are Not Healed," avoids the reductionism that many practitioners of healing prayer fall into. For example, he does allow for redemptive suffering and recognizes that while sin (such as resentment) can indeed trap us into a physical ailment, it is not always or even mainly the reason for sickness.

The Practice of the Presence of God and The Spiritual Maxims
The Practice of the Presence of God and The Spiritual Maxims
by Brother Lawrence
Price: $4.99
71 used & new from $1.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration to leading practitioners of prayer, July 22, 2009
Brother Lawrence fell in love with the God of love when he was 18, and, as a lay brother of the Carmelites in Paris, spent the rest of his life in a lively communing with God at all hours of the day and night, even when working in the kitchen among the pots and pans. A "M. Beaufort" interviewed him in 1666, and Beaufort's notes, together with some letters that Brother Lawrence wrote, have become the basis of this now-classic collection. Both the conversations and the letters contain examples and suggestions as to how such a communion can be sustained.

Other writers on prayer often point back to Brother Lawrence as the example of what prayer at its best really is, which is that constant conversational relationship with a living and very present God.

Listening Prayer: Learning to Hear God's Voice and Keep a Prayer Journal
Listening Prayer: Learning to Hear God's Voice and Keep a Prayer Journal
by Leanne Payne
Price: $15.87
93 used & new from $0.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful guide to journaling and listening to God, November 12, 2008
I found Listening Prayer especially helpful in two ways.

My former attempts to keep a prayer journal have all come to naught -- perhaps because as an ordinary layman I seldom have enough time to really listen. Payne has given me a new way to organize my journaling and my prayer times as sections in a looseleaf binder. One section covers listening through Scripture, another praise, another confession, and so on. Contents of each section vary over time. Payne suggests sample materials to set the tone for each.

The second half of the book, a practical guide to listening to God in general, springs from Payne's own experiences, both from her initial involvement in the charismatic revival and from her extensive healing prayer ministry. Chapter 12 includes unusually detailed descriptions -- feelings, sights, sounds -- of how God communicates guidance, wisdom, or encouragement to us today (as distinct from the completed "special revelation" of the Scriptures). Since we are often mistaken in thinking we're hearing from God, Payne emphasizes the importance of having frank partners in accountability and the danger of focusing on our own feelings -- which she refers to in The Healing Presence: Curing the Soul Through Union with Christ as "the disease of introspection."

While Payne is sometimes called "cerebral," this volume is practically oriented.

Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith
Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith
by Anne Lamott
286 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking but profound, June 29, 2008
In an e-mail exchange, a ministry colleague asked, "I have never read Anne Lamott. Do you recommend her?" I responded:

Knowing your heart for broken people and for Jesus, I can recommend "Traveling Mercies" to you without qualification. I have only about 16 feet of easily reachable bookshelf, including my favorite reference books, yet this is one book that I keep avoiding moving to attic storage.

Lamott is blunt about what she has gone through, how she has felt (especially about those of us who make a career of being nice), and her determination to keep Jesus out of her life at all costs. She is a product of multiple dysfunctions, and you can see why she'd have a hard time learning to love herself or to admit that perhaps God could love her. But I love the sentences by which she let Jesus come in; I have never otherwise heard such a simple prayer of conversion, nor one that is so true at the heart level.

My daughter-in-law said that if I enjoyed Lamott, I'd also enjoy Kathleen Norris (The Cloister Walk). I did, but Norris is more cerebral. Lamott is at once pithy, practical, shocking, and profound. "Traveling Mercies" has confirmed in me, probably more than any other source has, an understanding of how varied, unexpected, and original God's work is in any one individual's life.

The Prayer That Heals: Praying for Healing in the Family
The Prayer That Heals: Praying for Healing in the Family
by Francis MacNutt
Price: $8.73
69 used & new from $2.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, practical, and specific, August 29, 2007
I first ran across this book in the library of a retreat center when I was on a self-guided prayer retreat, and was so delighted with it that I decided to order a copy of my own. Covering the basics for a direct healing prayer ministry, the book will allow either individuals or teams to ramp up even when they're just getting started. MacNutt, more than many other writers on prayer, highlights the reality of gradual healing when oral, spontaneous prayer is applied repeatedly over a period of time, and identifies specific techniques besides just words that help to communicate the prayer to the one being prayed for.

While MacNutt is a Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox believers will find this book helpful too.