Profile for S. Kelley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 43

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Kelley "Oblate spheroid-shaped head and torso" RSS Feed (kitchen table, eating HUGE quantities)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Rising In The West: The True Story Of An "Okie" Family from the Great Depression Through the Reagan Years
by Dan Morgan
150 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative but dragged at times, May 4, 2014
I forced myself to slog through the latter part of this lengthy book.

I lived in California's San Joaquin Valley for a few years and experienced first, second and third generation "Okies."

I did not learn anything of much importance from this book in regards to the social aspect of the migrant from the Dust Bowl to California. I have learned more about those migrant folks from the southern plains region by interacting with them.

For me, one negative of the book was the orientation towards the economic aspects of the lives of the folks written about. Money is important but I would have enjoyed the book more if there was more basic culture involved.

For those with no knowledge about the "Okies" go ahead and read this book.

I can not recommend anything I would consider a "better read" since the topic of the settling of California by folks from the Dust Bowl appears to have been ignored by capable non-fiction writers.

Jarhead: A Marine's Chronicle of the Gulf War and Other Battles
Jarhead: A Marine's Chronicle of the Gulf War and Other Battles
by Anthony Swofford
374 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book I immediately read again after finishing it, February 13, 2014
I can only guess how many non-fiction books I have read related to war, conflict, history, etc. Several hundred over the decades I feel is close to the actual amount.

Swaffords' Jarhead is the only book that, when finished, I immediately started reading it again from page one and read through to the end.

I admit that the subject matter was pertinent to me despite the major differences in the author's and my experiences. During Vietnam our warship was always "this close" to the action. Near enough that our ship's "Doc" was heloed over to the action to assist with the wounded but our ship was either acting as a reinforcement to call upon if needed while blocking possible reinforcement routes the enemy forces might use to support their comrades in the fight.

I detected similar sentiment in Jarhead. Three decades after my experiences Swoffords' tale was therapeutic for me!!!! I am grateful for that.

Yes, reading tastes vary greatly. I cannot assume that you will enjoy the book even a little let alone be so enamored with it you are compelled to read twice in a row.

I propose you take the chance and give Jarhead a try.

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price
Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price
DVD ~ Robert Greenwald
Offered by actcdc
Price: $24.99
38 used & new from $0.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Class War Exists, November 17, 2013
I slaver over non-fictional videos. This video reinforces an already-held belief that the USA is in the throes of class warfare and that the common folks are losing the war... badly.

Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why
Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why
by Bart D. Ehrman
Price: $8.69
228 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Think before buying, November 16, 2013
I read nothing new in this book. However, if you are just commencing your literary journey of seeking the TRUTH in regards to Christian-related affairs then this book may offer some new insights.

If you have read other books covering similar or the same topics then look at the various reviews, etc. to determine of this book is worthy of your time and/or wealth.

Ghost World: The Special Edition
Ghost World: The Special Edition
by Daniel Clowes
37 used & new from $7.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of multiple viewings, November 16, 2013
A poignant look at life for the common folks who "think outside the box" as the USA's ruling elite-class masters want us to think thus behave.

Lee Harvey Oswald Bobblehead
Lee Harvey Oswald Bobblehead

5.0 out of 5 stars The kids clamor for the Oswald bobblehead, November 16, 2013
This review is from: Lee Harvey Oswald Bobblehead (Toy)
All the kids in my 'hood are clamoring to receive one or more of these Oswald bobbleheads for Christmas!!!! Assuredly, as birthdays approach the shouts of desire to receive an Oswald bobblehead will also fill the air... even if one was already received for Xmas.

I know that when I get mine I will be so proud and will display it with pride.

I would take it to school for show-and-tell but since firearms are shown I fear that law enforcement will be notified and they will send in the SWAT team to taze me, hand-cuff me then send me off to a re-training camp to ensure I return to being a compliant, obedient and loyal citizen acceptable to our ruling masters.

Once a Warrior King
Once a Warrior King
by David Donovan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
79 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent at many levels, October 5, 2013
Over the decades I have read so many books about the many aspects of the Vietnam Conflict. Being present at the end of that era when masses of people were fleeing the final definitive invasion/reunification of that war-torn country combined with growing up with nightly unrelenting news coverage of that tragic affair I strove to understand what caused the USA to become involved in what should have been a civil war without outside intervention.

I shunned fictional writings of the Conflict and devoured all the non-fiction I could find. Many dozens, possibly more, of different books I selected from the huge number available. Some stick in my mind and Once a Warrior King is one of them. I have read it three times, so far, with multi-year intervals between readings.

I rate this book as a classic of its genre and highly encourage all of you to give the book it a try.

While conveying the tale of a tiny part of that lengthy conflict; a year in a small geographical area, this book is also the tale of individuals involved in that Conflict.

It has been awhile since I read this mighty-fine book and with winter coming I believe I will take it off the shelf and read it again.

Report from a Chinese Village.
Report from a Chinese Village.
by Jan Myrdal
54 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A view of Chinese peasents from the early 1960s, September 28, 2013
Books of this type are, in my OPINION, excellent for counteracting some of the barrage of indoctrination foisted upon those residing within the USA.

This is not the place to discuss the multitude of aspects of being acculturated and educated within a society/culture/country.

The reviewed book offers a tiny peek at life for the common folks living in rural agricultural China before, during and after the revolt against the past preceding the victory of Mao's forces.

I receive the impression that the interviewed villagers spoke freely offering their opinions without fear of retribution by the system they were currently embedded within.

This book conveys information about how the common folks lived their daily lives, interacted with their neighbors and the effects of life events in general; from the Japanese invasion to the warring factions within China and other aspects of a country undergoing immense changes.

There is repetition within the book's many sub-sections of personal interviews but the varying opinions and experiences of those who experienced their life events assists in fending off the "boredom factor."

For a peek at a crucial era within China... from roughly the 1920s to the early 1960s in a small part of rural China this book is informative and, to me, entertaining.

I bought the book used and consider the low price I paid a fine investment for a few hour's leisurely reading.

Rock Spectacle
Rock Spectacle
Offered by insomniacsonline
Price: $6.27
405 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Finest Live Album I Have Ever Heard, February 10, 2013
This review is from: Rock Spectacle (Audio CD)
My reference base goes back to the days when the USA was in an uproar because the Beatles were headed this way to perform live!!!! Hooray!!!!!!!

Fast forward several decades.

A lot of music entered my ears over the years.

A LOT of fair to good to great to FANTASTIC music.

I almost always preferred studio recordings for my music.

There have been a VERY FEW exceptions and the Barenaked Lady's Rock Spectacle is one of them.

Of the small number of live recordings I enjoyed and then purchased Rock Spectacle is easily the BEST of them all.

I am greatly impressed with the CD in so many ways.

Has it been 16 or so years since its release? My how time flies!!!!

And I remain as impressed by Rock Spectacle today as when I first heard it.

Music tastes vary greatly among people and there assuredly are some folks who will not place any significance upon Rock Spectacle and perhaps even despise it.

That's groovy!!! Different strokes for different folks Sly and his Family Stone sang to us long ago.

Give the CD a listen, though... it can be sampled at various Web sites.

If you like the sound I encourage you to buy the CD.

With the CD you get optimum audio spectrum and the ability to stick it in your computer and enjoy the multi-media part of it.

Have a great week!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for me, February 1, 2012
**********************UPDATE*************************************

from previous review

February 1, 2012

Been using a paid-for medicine bought cheaply at the Wal-Mart pharmacy but I believe other outlets have the stuff sold inexpensively.

You will need an official prescription from a doctor.

Triamcinolone .1% ointment.

External use only.

Two big tubes that if used sparingly should last a long time.

External use only.

Follow doc's and pharmacist's advice, of course, and read label warnings, of course.

With a couple week's use... sparingly to make it last and to limit the amount seeping inside the aging withered body... it appears to be making a "dent" upon the "spotty-type" psoriasis on the back of my hands BUT... who knows if the positive effects will continue.

From my readings it appears that all "cures" can lose effectiveness and give variable results.

There are TV ads that declare wonderful effects but potential side-effects, to me, are worse than actual psoriasis!!!!!

It is up to the individual and likely depending upon have health insurance.

Not having had health insurance for quite awhile I am typical of the USA's working-poor socio-demographic cohort forced to ignore many ailments due to lack of funds and/or health care.

"Greatest health care system in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Yeah, right, tell me about it.

And recent "efforts" to offer at least some basic care for average folks (a growing percentage of USA citizens) demands paying for it even if it means your minimal retirement savings are eaten up!!!!

Sigh... Us "common folks" can not win.

Thank you, Amazon.com, for allowing us common folks with "voices" seldom heard an opportunity to "talk" to each other.

I still recommend the coal tar ointment, Psoriacin and, if affordable, the generic-type prescription stuff IF your doctor determines it IS right for you.

And, the best to all of you tossed to the side, unable to obtain health insurance for MANY reasons, simple bad luck being one possible reason.

But, be HAPPY!!! The "deserving ones" in the USA have ready affordable access to "The Finest Medical Care System in the World!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

It is sad how congress altered bankruptcy laws to ensure the medical industry can wipe out your savings intended for old age use, leaving you destitute.

What is it? 60% of USA citizens reduced to being a pauper due to a medical condition?

A complicated subject our politicians choose to ignore and the mass media fails to adequately cover but.... just OBEY!!!!!! it IS your prime duty, citizens.

Good luck with the psoriasis and any other medical conditions that come your way.

Please practice health maintenance; watch diet, avoid excesses, do your best to eat properly, get at least some exercise; walking IS good for you!!!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2012 7:10 AM PDT