Profile for Pecos Bill > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 340

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pecos Bill RSS Feed (Gaithersburg, MD United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Swingline Electric Stapler, Speed Pro 45 Sheets, Black (S7042141)
Swingline Electric Stapler, Speed Pro 45 Sheets, Black (S7042141)
Price: $87.11
17 used & new from $52.91

5.0 out of 5 stars POW, May 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a necessity for any office or home office. Why mess with conventional staplers that sometimes have a hard time punching through papers, end up bending the staples in the act of trying and make you slam the stapler to get it through all the pages, maybe ending up with multiple staple holes as you have to redo it?

With this, you can't go wrong. Load it up, plug it in, put the papers in the narrow slot and POW: stapled sheets.

No problems with it so far. Kinda wish it had an off switch but you can just leave it plugged in.

Mountain House Cinnamon Apples
Mountain House Cinnamon Apples
Price: $15.99
3 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ready to eat straight from the can, May 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are fantastic. I've had quite a lot of Mountain House freeze dried food as well as AlpineAire brand and both are great. Mountain House offers these big cans that are suitable for group outings, trailer/RV camping and long term food storage but for backpacking be sure to look for the individual pouches that are also available. The cans are not meant for backpacking and while you could open the can and parcel things out in ziplock bags before the trip, you'd keep your food fresher and safer by just buying the individual serving packets. (Conversely, the individual bags have a shelf-life of around 5 years, versus 25 years for the cans, so for long term storage the cans are the way to go.)

So anyway, freeze dried apples. You don't rehydrate these. Just eat them straight out of the can. They're light, crispy and delicious. Just for kicks I tried rehydrating some but found they came out a bit too leathery. It would probably work as a cereal/outmeal mixer if you broke them up before rehyradting them so you end up with small pieces of apple (which, perhaps not coincidentally, is exactly what you get in those bags of Quaker instant cinnamon and apple oatmeal) but as an out-of-the-can snack that doesn't require any preparation this is one of the best choices.

Scotts 18348 Turf Builder Dense Shade Grass Seed Mix Bag, 3-Pound (Not for sale in Louisiana)
Price: $15.99
5 used & new from $15.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow to germinate, but does grow in the shade, May 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It turned colder after I put the seeds down (though not below freezing), and this probably contributed to the low and slow rate of germination, but 3 weeks later it does seem to be doing well enough and is growing in an area that is normally bare. Regular seed I put down a few years ago didn't take -- the area gets some sun but it's under trees most of the day and tends to be mostly dirt and moss.

I actually bought another bag and put that down about a week ago, hoping this will fill in quicker since the weather has been warmer. Some of that is already sprouting. I still feel like the germination rate is low (there are plenty of highly visible blue seeds still laying there) but I'll call it a win if I actually end up with grass in this area. So, provisional 4 stars -- I feel like it should take better than it is but so far it's having some success where other grasses haven't.

Abigail Palmer Group - EP
Abigail Palmer Group - EP
Price: $3.96

5.0 out of 5 stars You need more harp in your life., April 27, 2015
If you haven't heard a harp being used outside of classical music, you should really give this EP a shot. Abigail Palmer has a great vocal range to accompany the harp playing in a variety of styles and, well, it's magical. The recording quality is superb -- this is clearly a studio recording. A lot of small groups release CDs that are simply recorded from a live show. I know it's a lot cheaper, but you can't beat studio recording quality and that's what you're buying here.

I saw them play live and picked up an advance copy of the EP there. You should definitely catch them live if possible because if you've never gotten to watch a harp being played up close, you're missing out, but the EP delivers a depth, balance and clarity that's hard to get at a live show and you would not be amiss to start off your Abigail Palmer Group fandom with this.

Southern Enterprises Chicago Floating Shelf, 48-Inch, Black
Southern Enterprises Chicago Floating Shelf, 48-Inch, Black
Offered by WELLAND
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Get better anchors, April 19, 2015
Make SURE you buy some good drywall anchors to use with this. I used the "Toggler Snapskru Self-Drilling Drywall Anchor" that Amazon had listed as "frequently purchased with" and those worked great. The screws and anchors included in the box are junk and will not let the shelf hold any weight without pulling away from the wall. I drilled a small hole to make sure I wouldn't hit a stud and to guide the anchor in, then drilled in the SnapSkru anchor and that worked great. Shelves are very solid now.

The shelf material itself is pretty cheap -- laminate over some sort of hollow sounding material. Particle board or similar, I imagine. But it looks nice and apparently this is just what you get for this sort of price range. (You'd think "a flat piece of wood" would not be that expensive but the only genuine wood shelves I could find were 5x more expensive.) Gonna go with 4 stars because once you use better anchors, the shelves are functional. Actually came back to buy some more.....and some more of those Snapskru anchors.

Vornadobaby Huey Nursery Evaporative Humidifier
Vornadobaby Huey Nursery Evaporative Humidifier
Price: $99.99
6 used & new from $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out, but loud, April 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very well thought out humidifier. The only caution I have with it is the noise. I'm not sure how to quantify the noise level other than it competes with my gaming desktop computer when it's on high. By far the most disturbing thing is that if you put it on auto-fan, it may shift between high, low and off and I personally found it hard to sleep with in my room like that. I'd say go ahead and get this humidifier but just set the fan to "low" full time. (Really, even "high" full time is fine. It's a bit loud but you get used to it. It's the auto-setting switching between loud and not-loud that makes it hard to sleep through. You're just about to nod off to a quiet wrrrrrrrr and then suddenly it's WRRRRRRR...)

All that said, I'm gonna go ahead and give it 5 stars. I have a lot of experience with humidifiers and this is easily my favorite.

So humidifiers come in 3 types: "spritzers", "boilers" and "evaporators". I dunno if that's the proper terms, that's just what I call em. Spritzers will spritz a fine mist of water into the air periodically. This evaporates and adds humidity to your house that way. The problem with these is that tap water has minerals in it and these minerals will be left behind after the water evaporates. That's the "dust" everyone talks about these things leaving behind. The dust are mineral deposits. You can avoid this by using distilled (not "spring" or "filtered" -- distilled) water but that's a lot more expensive than just using tap water. Spritzers are my least favorite kind for this reason.

Boilers are my previous favorite type. They literally boil water in a chamber inside the unit and waft out steam. The boiling means that you get pure water steam coming out of the unit -- no minerals get scattered around your house. The downside is that the minerals get left behind in the boiling chamber. There are mineral absorption pads but they only do so much. In the end you have to clean the thing of mineral deposits periodically and that's a pain. Some of these units are well designed to make cleaning fairly easy but it's still pretty far from maintenance free. They are also not the best idea for toddlers since they will have boiling water inside the unit and be releasing hot steam out of the top.

And then there's what this unit is: evaporative. Inside the unit is basically a big wick that absorbs the water you put into the unit. A fan blows over this and the water evaporates into the air, leaving any mineral deposits behind in the wick. Replace the wick periodically and Bob's your uncle. All things considered I feel like this is the best type of humidifier. The only downside is that they tend to be the loudest. Spritzers are silent most of the time. Boilers make a gentle boiling sound and usually just have a tiny fan to waft out the steam. Evaporators have to move more air so they need more of a fan and in a small unit like this, it's a noticeable noise.

The design itself of this unit is well done overall though. The fan is well protected from little fingers. The water in the unit will be room temperature so the worst that can happen is a water spill. The water bottle is easy to fill and I love that a light comes on when the water is low to let you know it needs more. The humidistat on this unit is the best I've seen, actually letting you set a humidity level by percentage (must units just have a largely meaningless dial -- you can turn the dial but there's no indication what you're setting it to). You can also lock the buttons to keep busy fingers from easily changing the settings.

Really there's nothing particularly "childish" about this humidifier other than it's designed to be toddler-resistant.

Note that if you're humidifying a house (and not just a closed room) you'll want to buy more than one of these.

Hoover A301 Air Purifier WH10401
Hoover A301 Air Purifier WH10401
Price: $199.99
2 used & new from $156.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and silent, March 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the quietest air purifier I've ever not-heard. On the lowest setting it still moves a good volume of air but having it in my kitchen leaves it as completely inaudible against other background noises. It has some basic timer functions but since it's so quiet I just leave it running on the lowest setting full time. The highest setting, of course, is quite audible (though not what I'd call "loud") and blows quite a lot of air through. I like that in addition to filtering dust, it has a odor absorbing filter. Filters are easy to change -- no tools required.

The big thing in favor of this unit is the solid construction. I've had other air purifiers in the past and they tend to vibrate, as in the unit itself vibrates and makes noise regardless of what surface you put it on, I guess because they just don't usually make them to tight specs. This unit seems solid though. Nothing vibrates. Just a smooth air flow. I put it on a metal rack and it's still silent.

Seagate Wireless Mobile Portable Hard Drive Storage 500GB STDC500101 (White)
Seagate Wireless Mobile Portable Hard Drive Storage 500GB STDC500101 (White)
Price: $104.99
40 used & new from $104.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A portable backup and storage extension solution for mobile phones (and computers), March 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm using this as an automatic backup device. I put lots of music, videos and pictures on my phone and am constantly running out of storage space. I have a hard time deciding what to delete. This seems to solve the dilemma: I delete all of my photos and videos after uploading them to the device, because then I can access them easily on the computer OR the phone later, as long as I have the hard drive with me.

Getting it up and running using Android and Windows was simple enough. Basically you connect directly to the device (which shows up as a wifi hub) and then you can configure it -- set security, rename it, and configure the device to connect to the internet -- and off you go. It then showed up on my network so that my computer could see it as well, as if it was a shared Windows box (you can disable this part if you are on a public network -- there's a button for that when you go to connect it).

The whole process is "less than intuitive" but frankly about as easy as you're likely to get, considering what you need to do. The fact that the device can connect to the internet is a nice touch as it means you can connect to the device and still browse the internet while connected (I've seen other devices that don't do this -- when you are connected to it, you don't have internet access). So that's a nice touch.

The device itself is lightweight, portable, can be charged through USB and all of your data transfers are done via wifi. It's important that it acts as a wifi hub as this means you don't need some 3rd party wifi (like the one in your hotel room) to communicate with it. You connect directly.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it. I'm honestly not sure how hard it is to move individual files around. I just set it to auto-backup everything and let it roll.

Nexus Player from Google by ASUS
Nexus Player from Google by ASUS
Price: $73.32
20 used & new from $69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Google Nexus vs Amazon Fire TV: fight!, March 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
You might have come here to read reviews and ask, "What should I get? A Nexus Player from Google or the Amazon Fire TV?"

The very fact that you are here, on Amazon, suggests the answer is probably "Amazon Fire TV".

The two devices are essentially identical with the notable exception that the Fire TV does not give you access to the Google Play store and the Nexus does not give you access to the Amazon store or Prime functions. For me, that's a bit of a deal breaker, seeing how literally 100% of my music and movies are already on Amazon. Whatever device I get must support Amazon apps and if you make me choose between Google and Amazon, I'm going to go with Amazon every time.

I don't have a Roku so I'm not sure how that compares, but a brief internet search says that might still be the best option, as apparently it supports Amazon content AND Google Play content (plus lots of other stuff). The Nexus and Fire are still very limited in their channel selection in addition to being mutually exclusive.

So I still rate this device highly because it is quite functional and works well if what you want is Google Play, Youtube, Netflix and a couple other things but I would still put it under the Amazon Fire for actual Amazon customers and probably put both of them under the Roku in terms of supported content.

Palmer-Hughes Accordion Course, Book 1
Palmer-Hughes Accordion Course, Book 1
by Palmer-Hughes
Price: $7.99
63 used & new from $4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars See also: YouTube, March 16, 2015
Note: you can search YouTube for most (all?) of these songs and find them, as played directly from the book. I found this helpful later on as the songs got more complex and, without a teacher, I wasn't sure I was doing them correctly. Kind of eliminates the need to get a book with a CD. If anything, the YouTube videos are better than a CD because you can also look at the fingering the player is using. Try searching for [song name] + "Palmer-Hughes".

Anyway, I'm starting accordion from ground zero (no music knowledge what-so-ever) and have been enjoying this book greatly. I can feel the progress from day to day as each song goes from "well clearly that's impossible" to "I almost got the whole thing perfect that time". The book is pretty well aimed at, oh, 10 year olds, but as that's roughly my knowledge level when it comes to music, it's fitting enough. Okay, so I found it a little annoying to have to grind through a song that's only slightly different from "Mary Had a Little Lamb" but each song is making you learn different combinations of beats and finger movements that does help you master the basics before moving on and some of the songs are quite fun.

You should also look at the "1A" and "1B" books. The "A & B" books are roughly the same thing, expanded just slightly. There are some songs in 1A and 1B that do not appear in 1 and vice versa so you could conceivably buy 1A, 1B and 1 and get use out of all of them. That's what I did, just to decide which was the better way and I kind of like having all 3. It's nice when you want a little more variety on techniques you already know but don't feel ready to move forward yet.

Book 1 only requires a 12 bass button piano accordion but there will be a few extra things you can do if you have a full accordion.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20