Profile for Pecos Bill > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 344

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pecos Bill RSS Feed (The Great State of Texas)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Maytex Mills Metal Double Glide Shower Ring, Oil Rubbed Bronze, 12 Count
Maytex Mills Metal Double Glide Shower Ring, Oil Rubbed Bronze, 12 Count
Price: $7.79
13 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, June 29, 2015
These are perfect. The beads at the top make it slide easily and the simple hook-and-bulb design makes it easy to take my curtain and liner on and off for washing, without it popping off the hook by itself.

I've always used the "clamping circle" design curtain hangers but those are such a hassle. Something like this is really mandatory if you use washable curtains.

Zenna Home H21WW04, Luxury HotelWaffle Weave Shower Curtain, 70 in x 72 in, White
Price: $24.37
14 used & new from $15.46

5.0 out of 5 stars It's washable!, June 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was staying at a hotel recently and the cloth showercurtain got me thinking: surely this is easier than with the "mold resistant" plastic type curtains I'd always used. Those are too stiff to take down and wash and you have to keep them clean or they will, in fact, get moldy. I thought a cloth shower curtain that can be washed made a lot of sense.

So far so good! This thing is machine washable, hang dry or tumble dry low, no bleach (so say the directions). I figure that will make it much easier. I ordered some new shower hooks (Maytex Mills Metal Double Glide Shower Ring, Oil Rubbed Bronze, 12 Count) to go with them that will make it easier to put the curtain on and off and now it's in use! No problems so far. Pretty much what you'd expect. The "magnetic weights" are really just a couple of button magnets on the bottom but I didn't have any problem with the curtain flying around. Stitching all looks good. I see other reviewers are upset that the waffle pattern is not waffly enough but it looks fine to me.

I'll update if mold becomes a problem but I expect putting it through the wash periodically will suffice.

Grillight 1300813 Stainless Steel LED Grilling Tongs
Grillight 1300813 Stainless Steel LED Grilling Tongs
Price: $24.15
15 used & new from $23.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, nicely done, June 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one of those things you didn't know you needed til you had one: tongs with a built in light.

Nicely executed design, too. There's a "gravity lock", I guess you'd call it, so that when then tongs are pointed down (as if you were grabbing something), they are unlocked and will swing wide open. Point the tongs up (or slide the little metal bit back with your finger) and they will lock closed for storage.

Dishwasher safe. Straightforward. So far so good!

Amazon Echo
Amazon Echo
Price: $179.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't clean your house, but..., June 19, 2015
This review is from: Amazon Echo (Electronics)
This is what I'd call a decent first step towards having an actual "personal assistant". It's nice to wake up in the morning and ask "Alexa, what's the weather?" so I know what to expect, without having to punch up my weather app on my phone.

It's nice to be reading a book, see a word I'm unsure of and say "Alexa, define ____".

Or to say, "Alexa, play Shovels and Rope" when I'm in the mood to listen to some Shovels and Rope! Or I can just say, "Alexa, play music" and it will pick a random playlist from Prime music based on the music I like. Then I can say "Alexa, what song is this" and "Alexa, buy this song/album" if I hear something new that I like.

With a Wemo wall plug I actually have a heater plugged in and I can say "Alexa, turn on/off the heater." I did a heater but you could also imagine using it to turn lights on and off. Wemo plugs aren't cheap right now but you can see which direction the technology is going.

The amount of stuff the Echo understands out of the box is fairly impressive. You don't really need to look at a list of commands (although that may help you understand what all it can do) -- just ask it things and you may be surprised.

The limitation in this device is mainly that it's just 1 device for just 1 room and, of course, there's no display. In the future I'd like to see a way to tie in a host of cheap microphone+speaker combos that communicate to a central unit so we can easily have "Alexa" in every room without having to purchase numerous discrete "Amazon Echo" boxes. Still, I think this was something of a test run by Amazon, as evidenced by the limited release and the fact that they wouldn't let us review it for a long time. This was a sink-or-swim idea, I believe, and I believe it has swam.

Now I just need "Alexa" on my phone. I miss being able to do this stuff when I'm in my car!

Swingline Electric Stapler, Speed Pro 45 Sheets, Black (S7042141)
Swingline Electric Stapler, Speed Pro 45 Sheets, Black (S7042141)
Price: $79.99
19 used & new from $59.73

5.0 out of 5 stars POW, May 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a necessity for any office or home office. Why mess with conventional staplers that sometimes have a hard time punching through papers, end up bending the staples in the act of trying and make you slam the stapler to get it through all the pages, maybe ending up with multiple staple holes as you have to redo it?

With this, you can't go wrong. Load it up, plug it in, put the papers in the narrow slot and POW: stapled sheets.

No problems with it so far. Kinda wish it had an off switch but you can just leave it plugged in.

Mountain House Cinnamon Apples
Mountain House Cinnamon Apples
Price: $15.99
4 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ready to eat straight from the can, May 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are fantastic. I've had quite a lot of Mountain House freeze dried food as well as AlpineAire brand and both are great. Mountain House offers these big cans that are suitable for group outings, trailer/RV camping and long term food storage but for backpacking be sure to look for the individual pouches that are also available. The cans are not meant for backpacking and while you could open the can and parcel things out in ziplock bags before the trip, you'd keep your food fresher and safer by just buying the individual serving packets. (Conversely, the individual bags have a shelf-life of around 5 years, versus 25 years for the cans, so for long term storage the cans are the way to go.)

So anyway, freeze dried apples. You don't rehydrate these. Just eat them straight out of the can. They're light, crispy and delicious. Just for kicks I tried rehydrating some but found they came out a bit too leathery. It would probably work as a cereal/outmeal mixer if you broke them up before rehyradting them so you end up with small pieces of apple (which, perhaps not coincidentally, is exactly what you get in those bags of Quaker instant cinnamon and apple oatmeal) but as an out-of-the-can snack that doesn't require any preparation this is one of the best choices.

Scotts 18348 Turf Builder Dense Shade Grass Seed Mix Bag, 3-Pound (Not for sale in Louisiana)
Offered by Great Household
Price: $13.71
7 used & new from $13.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow to germinate, but does grow in the shade, May 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It turned colder after I put the seeds down (though not below freezing), and this probably contributed to the low and slow rate of germination, but 3 weeks later it does seem to be doing well enough and is growing in an area that is normally bare. Regular seed I put down a few years ago didn't take -- the area gets some sun but it's under trees most of the day and tends to be mostly dirt and moss.

I actually bought another bag and put that down about a week ago, hoping this will fill in quicker since the weather has been warmer. Some of that is already sprouting. I still feel like the germination rate is low (there are plenty of highly visible blue seeds still laying there) but I'll call it a win if I actually end up with grass in this area. So, provisional 4 stars -- I feel like it should take better than it is but so far it's having some success where other grasses haven't.

Abigail Palmer Group - EP
Abigail Palmer Group - EP
Price: $3.96

5.0 out of 5 stars You need more harp in your life., April 27, 2015
If you haven't heard a harp being used outside of classical music, you should really give this EP a shot. Abigail Palmer has a great vocal range to accompany the harp playing in a variety of styles and, well, it's magical. The recording quality is superb -- this is clearly a studio recording. A lot of small groups release CDs that are simply recorded from a live show. I know it's a lot cheaper, but you can't beat studio recording quality and that's what you're buying here.

I saw them play live and picked up an advance copy of the EP there. You should definitely catch them live if possible because if you've never gotten to watch a harp being played up close, you're missing out, but the EP delivers a depth, balance and clarity that's hard to get at a live show and you would not be amiss to start off your Abigail Palmer Group fandom with this.

Southern Enterprises Chicago Floating Shelf, 48-Inch, Black
Southern Enterprises Chicago Floating Shelf, 48-Inch, Black
Offered by stores123
Price: $41.89
17 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Get better anchors, April 19, 2015
Make SURE you buy some good drywall anchors to use with this. I used the "Toggler Snapskru Self-Drilling Drywall Anchor" that Amazon had listed as "frequently purchased with" and those worked great. The screws and anchors included in the box are junk and will not let the shelf hold any weight without pulling away from the wall. I drilled a small hole to make sure I wouldn't hit a stud and to guide the anchor in, then drilled in the SnapSkru anchor and that worked great. Shelves are very solid now.

The shelf material itself is pretty cheap -- laminate over some sort of hollow sounding material. Particle board or similar, I imagine. But it looks nice and apparently this is just what you get for this sort of price range. (You'd think "a flat piece of wood" would not be that expensive but the only genuine wood shelves I could find were 5x more expensive.) Gonna go with 4 stars because once you use better anchors, the shelves are functional. Actually came back to buy some more.....and some more of those Snapskru anchors.

Vornadobaby Huey Nursery Evaporative Humidifier
Vornadobaby Huey Nursery Evaporative Humidifier
Price: $99.99
7 used & new from $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out, but loud, April 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very well thought out humidifier. The only caution I have with it is the noise. I'm not sure how to quantify the noise level other than it competes with my gaming desktop computer when it's on high. By far the most disturbing thing is that if you put it on auto-fan, it may shift between high, low and off and I personally found it hard to sleep with in my room like that. I'd say go ahead and get this humidifier but just set the fan to "low" full time. (Really, even "high" full time is fine. It's a bit loud but you get used to it. It's the auto-setting switching between loud and not-loud that makes it hard to sleep through. You're just about to nod off to a quiet wrrrrrrrr and then suddenly it's WRRRRRRR...)

All that said, I'm gonna go ahead and give it 5 stars. I have a lot of experience with humidifiers and this is easily my favorite.

So humidifiers come in 3 types: "spritzers", "boilers" and "evaporators". I dunno if that's the proper terms, that's just what I call em. Spritzers will spritz a fine mist of water into the air periodically. This evaporates and adds humidity to your house that way. The problem with these is that tap water has minerals in it and these minerals will be left behind after the water evaporates. That's the "dust" everyone talks about these things leaving behind. The dust are mineral deposits. You can avoid this by using distilled (not "spring" or "filtered" -- distilled) water but that's a lot more expensive than just using tap water. Spritzers are my least favorite kind for this reason.

Boilers are my previous favorite type. They literally boil water in a chamber inside the unit and waft out steam. The boiling means that you get pure water steam coming out of the unit -- no minerals get scattered around your house. The downside is that the minerals get left behind in the boiling chamber. There are mineral absorption pads but they only do so much. In the end you have to clean the thing of mineral deposits periodically and that's a pain. Some of these units are well designed to make cleaning fairly easy but it's still pretty far from maintenance free. They are also not the best idea for toddlers since they will have boiling water inside the unit and be releasing hot steam out of the top.

And then there's what this unit is: evaporative. Inside the unit is basically a big wick that absorbs the water you put into the unit. A fan blows over this and the water evaporates into the air, leaving any mineral deposits behind in the wick. Replace the wick periodically and Bob's your uncle. All things considered I feel like this is the best type of humidifier. The only downside is that they tend to be the loudest. Spritzers are silent most of the time. Boilers make a gentle boiling sound and usually just have a tiny fan to waft out the steam. Evaporators have to move more air so they need more of a fan and in a small unit like this, it's a noticeable noise.

The design itself of this unit is well done overall though. The fan is well protected from little fingers. The water in the unit will be room temperature so the worst that can happen is a water spill. The water bottle is easy to fill and I love that a light comes on when the water is low to let you know it needs more. The humidistat on this unit is the best I've seen, actually letting you set a humidity level by percentage (must units just have a largely meaningless dial -- you can turn the dial but there's no indication what you're setting it to). You can also lock the buttons to keep busy fingers from easily changing the settings.

Really there's nothing particularly "childish" about this humidifier other than it's designed to be toddler-resistant.

Note that if you're humidifying a house (and not just a closed room) you'll want to buy more than one of these.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20