Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Pecos Bill > Reviews

Browse

Pecos Bill's Profile

Customer Reviews: 391

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pecos Bill RSS Feed (The Great State of Texas)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
KitchenAid KKFSS3SSST 3 Piece Classic Forged Series Starter Brushed Cutlery Set, Stainless Steel
Price: $45.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing fancy, but nothing wrong with them, June 27, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The key to cutlery is researching the metal used. These are 1.4028, equivalent to USA grade 420 (aka X30Cr13). These are considered "low end" knives which is really the only reason I don't give them 5 stars. There's nothing wrong with them, as knives in that class go; it just doesn't feel right to grant them 5 stars relative to high end knife sets from better steel. Usually you get what you pay for and you could pay a lot more than this if you want knives that will last a long time through a lot of use.

These are basic and should do you for a few years for basic home cooking. Maybe longer if you treat them right. Don't leave them soaking overnight or sitting in your sink with food on them -- they'll corrode. 420 stainless steel IS corrosion resistant but long exposure to food will still do them in.

If you want high-end knives, search for something like X50Cr15MoV, but that'll get you about 1 knife instead of 3 for the same price and unless you're a professional chef you're probably fine with these cheaper ones.

Samsung CF391 Series LC32F391FWNXZA 32" Screen LED-Lit Monitor
Samsung CF391 Series LC32F391FWNXZA 32" Screen LED-Lit Monitor
Offered by Wireless Experts, Inc.
Price: $389.72
7 used & new from $385.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Samsung quality again, June 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an absolutely fantastic monitor.

I was a bit worried that 1920x1080 wouldn't be high enough resolution for a 32" desktop monitor but no, it's perfectly fine. I'm not sure at what point a monitor would start to look pixelated (too few actual pixels per inch) but apparently the answer is "not yet".

The curve is more noticeable. I have a 27" curved monitor where I simply don't notice it but despite the curve rate being the same (degrees per inch) as this one, I do notice it more on this 32" monitor. I can't honestly say if I prefer or do not prefer the curvature. It does seem like it focuses the screen better on your line of sight and it's not distracting; I'm just saying it's more noticeable than on even slightly smaller monitors.

Note that there's no DVI connection. You'll need HDMI or DisplayPort (which most video cards support, though there are also converters if you really need one). The stand is also just a simple, fixed stand, though it does have mount points if you want to put it on a wall or desk mount.

Screen quality, color richness and brightness are all fantastic. I twiddled with the monitor settings a bit (colors, brightness, etc) but I find Samsung monitors come set to their best configuration out of the factory and this was no exception. Brand-wise, I do favor Samsung for long term quality. My other monitor is an AOC which looks just as good but I don't have as much experience with that brand. I frown on ViewSonics, which I have given up on after a long string of failed power supplies (inside the monitor). I have yet to have a problem with Samsung, and my TV is an 8 year old Samsung LCD that's just as good now as the day I bought it.

I think you'll be well pleased with this monitor.

Dremel 3D40-01 Idea Builder 2.0 3D Printer, Wi-Fi Enabled with Guided Leveling
Dremel 3D40-01 Idea Builder 2.0 3D Printer, Wi-Fi Enabled with Guided Leveling
Price: $1,299.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Another step towards a plug-and-play 3D printer, June 8, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've followed 3D printing for a while but never bought into it. I have friends who do it and they mostly made it sound like a hassle -- discussions over filaments, temperatures, speeds and all the ways a print can fail.

I think what Dremel is aiming for here is a plug-and-play 3D-printer-for-dummies so I figured I'd give it a shot. I don't think it's quite there yet, but mainly due to the software, which is still a bit rough. The printer itself is pretty foolproof. My first print was of a frog design that came with the printer and I did it with literally no real knowledge and just followed the simple directions: load the spool, put down the tape, follow the on screen instructions for leveling the base, pick my design and let it print. No fooling with other settings because apparently it's configured nicely for you.

The downside may be that you are expected to use Dremel filament spools. This is what the printer is tuned for and what it fits. They seem priced competitively with other brands, but I'm just sayin', the price of precision may be the need to stick with Dremel brand supplies.

Comes with software to let you load in your own designs. I went to thingiverse (check google) and picked out a few things: a stand for a Nexus 6, a tower of skulls and a small set of ruins for Warhammer tabletop gaming. Have to say I had some mixed results here (and I'm not sure model authors have settled on a scaling scheme, making it hard to know how to size an object) and I did have the printer itself apparently crash in the middle of a skull tower print but I still feel like I'm doing well for someone who has almost no idea what he's doing and is pretty much just winging it on his own with designs off of the internet.

Note that the printer I received had a pretty useless Quick Start Guide. The startup guide in the actual manual was more accurate. Hopefully they'll have that sorted out by the time you order yours.

Connection to the printer can be wired, wireless or stand-alone with a USB dongle to load in your designs.

I think the bottom line here is that this is a printer meant for someone who just wants to print designs out and does not want to have to fiddle with hardware. It's not perfect, but in the world of emerging 3-D printers, this printer is as hands-off as you are going to find.

Sunlite G30/LED/AQ/8W/CL/22K/LONG Vintage G30 Globe 8W Light Bulb with Medium (E26) Base, Warm White
Offered by SHINE BRIGHT
Price: $24.40
2 used & new from $16.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Great. Needs a shade., May 26, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Very nice, very bright replacement light, although I would hesitate to use this as a bare bulb (such as in a bathroom, over-sink setup). I got the G30 100W equivalent and it's just as bright as my other, same-size bathroom lights but they are frosted, which makes it more comfortable to have them directly in line of sight. This is a bare bulb with the filaments (do we still call them filaments in an LED lamp??) exposed, which makes it slightly painful to look directly at.
So I put it in the ceiling fan, where a frosted bulb is redundant with the frosted cover that's part of the ceiling fan. Works perfect in there and was a nice replacement for the CFL bulb I had in there that needed to "warm up". These LED lamps have no warm up period and are instantly bright.

Panasonic WINGS Best in Class Wireless Bluetooth In Ear Earbuds Sport Headphones with Mic + Controller RP-BTS30-Y (Urban Yellow) with Travel Pouch, Water Resistant, iPhone, Android Compatible
Offered by Focus Camera
Price: $89.99
4 used & new from $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Flex Fit, May 16, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The flex fit feature is what makes these stand out the most. My usual problem with bluetooth headsets is simply keeping them on. A lot of great looking designs turn out to just not work in terms of keeping the thing stuck in my ear. The earhooks on these are made of some sort of material that flexes and then stays where you flex it to, letting you experiment with them until you find what works. (I found that squeezing them a bit smaller worked great for me, for example.)

Sound is great, for earbuds.

Note that these are bluetooth-only. The only port is for charging them.

Nostalgia PT300RETRORED Retro Series Spiral Twister, Peeler & Potato Chip on a Stick Maker
Price: $39.99
13 used & new from $33.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended., May 10, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Not sure if retro conversation piece or serious appliance.

On one hand, it works and is mechanically sound. It's a pretty straightforward concept you'll find in other automatic peelers: the potato spins on a motor while a small cutting edge is held against it with a spring and is slowly brought down towards the motor, creating a spiral peeling effect. And it works well enough. Certainly I find this easier than trying to peel 10 potatoes by hand.

But.... there are a lot of issues. It doesn't come apart and can't be immersed in water so there's no easy way to clean it. It is literally quicker to peel one potato by hand than it is to use this thing once you factor in the manual cleaning time. The biggest drawback is just that it's too small, though. Normal potatoes that I would actually suggest were a little on the small side are too big to get peeled by this thing in one pass. You'll end up starting the cutting edge 3/4ths down the potato and then flipping the potato around to finish.

So it's not "junk" but I don't especially recommend it.

Scotts EZ Seed 17508 Sun Shade 3.75 LB
Scotts EZ Seed 17508 Sun Shade 3.75 LB
Price: $15.48
5 used & new from $15.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Works better than others in shade, May 4, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This came in spotty for me -- like a few 3' wide patches of grass in an area I seeded pretty evenly -- but it came in thick, tall and fast where it did take, and in an area where another shade mix I tried only ever came in with some thin, wispy grass that didn't last too long.

I probably just need to churn the soil better in the other areas and try another application of this stuff. Now that I've seen it can work, I'm going to get a bigger bag and see if I can fill it out. Initial results give me high hopes it can work if I can at least give it a good start!

Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader
Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader
Price: $19.97
15 used & new from $19.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Handy, May 2, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Note that the hopper for this thing is not very large -- you'll go through it pretty quick. Still, it's handy for small jobs, like spreading salt along a short sidewalk or seeding a small area. It has a small agitator inside it but you'll still want to shake it a little to get everything to the spreader. Works straight out of the box (batteries included) with an adjustable spread.

It's just the thing for small jobs where you'd like a more even spread than trying to throw stuff around by hand.

Resonance
Resonance
Price: $11.99
32 used & new from $9.44

2.0 out of 5 stars But No Cigar, April 7, 2016
This review is from: Resonance (Audio CD)
It pains me to not like this album but I don't like this album. The "tl;dr" summary is that the energy of VNV Nation is not present here -- the orchestral translation of songs was, for whatever reason, into very low energy, slower paced pieces and not the thumping high energy I was hoping to find.

I've actually long compared good techno-industrial to orchestral music. Both are deeply layered. It can be very diverse in terms of energy, pace, power. The more you listen, the more there seems to be to hear. I consider this to be true from Frontline Assembly to VNV Nation and it's a big reason I love the genre. ACTUALLY doing it with an orchestra sounds exciting! I think there's real potential there. But just because it's an orchestra doesn't mean every song has to be a slow, flowing melody heavy on strings.

I do actually like this album's version of Illusion better than the original -- but that's a song that was slow and low energy to begin with. The version of Further here just makes me sad. I love the original. But the pounding power of the original is totally lost, replaced with the same sweeping, low energy musical pudding as Illusion. Next time I meet someone and music comes up and I send them off to listen to Further, it's going to be the original, not this.

I do hope a project like this is tried again, but next time remember that an orchestra can be as diverse as techno. Try to maintain the energy of the original songs. Some of the songs need the gentle string treatment while others need to give the drum section a workout. I don't regret my purchase in the name of experimental music but I hope the next experiment actually...experiments a bit more.

AOC C2783FQ 27-Inch Class CURVED LED-Lit Monitor, Full HD 1920 x 1080 Resolution, 5ms, 50M:1 DCR, 300cd/m2 Brightness, VGA / DVI / HDMI w/MHL / DP, Extra Narrow Bezel
Price: $239.99
31 used & new from $239.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic monitor, April 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This has been a fantastic monitor so far. I'm a gamer and have gone through a lot of monitors over the years. I used to like ViewSonic but started having problems with their power supplies burning out (an internal part not easy to replace). I switched to Sumsung, which I have so far had great success with, but decided to give this AOC monitor a try.

Side by side with my recently purchased 27-inch curved LED Samsung monitor, the Samsung looked better out of the box. After dragging images so that they would be half on one monitor and half on the other and spending about 10 minutes tweaking the settings, the AOC actually looks slightly better than the Samsung -- very slightly richer colors.

Both the AOC and the Samsung are continuing a lovely new trend of "not having to have brightness all the way up" (something I found mandatory on older flat screens). They have brightness to spare. I find the settings menu harder to navigate on the AOC but you only really have to mess with that once (ever) so not big deal. I like the plug connections being in the base, but note that this is a desktop monitor, not a wall mount.

Long term durability will be the real test but we won't know about that for 2+ years of use (with any luck)!

So my rating is "5 stars". Do take some time to fiddle with settings and tweak brightness and colors, especially if you have another monitor to compare with side by side and I think you'll be pleased.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20