Profile for James Sabo > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James Sabo RSS Feed (Shadow Hills, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Space Hero's Guide to Glory: How to Get Off Your Podunk Planet and Master the Final Frontier
by Phil Hornshaw
Price: $10.20
47 used & new from $6.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly done- the authors are clearly as into sci-fi as you are., April 5, 2015
What you'll like best about this book is that no matter what your particular sci-fi fandom is, at some point, they'll almost certainly reference it.

And it's clear that these guys didn't just flip through a couple web pages to some up with a clever way to fit in some popular series, they *know* the show, book, or movie they're talking about. You will continually find yourself impressed with how they easily reference some obscure show that barely lasted the whole season on Fox (no, the other show) in a way that not only makes you say "hey! I loved that show," but also a way that *fits*.

It's also satisfying to see how the authors effectively treat all of sci-fi-dom as a single, connected universe-- every time the Galactic Empire gets compared to the Padishah Empire, I would get a little grin on my face.

This is a fast read that can easily be picked up and put down as time allows, so you can either cruise through it in a days, or leave it on your desk for when you've got ten minutes to kill.

Anker 2nd Gen Astro E4 13000mAh 3A High Capacity Fast Portable Charger  External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2 Mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 S4 Note Tab, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS Vita, Gopro, more Phones and Tablets and More (Black)
Anker 2nd Gen Astro E4 13000mAh 3A High Capacity Fast Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2 Mini 3, Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 S4 Note Tab, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, PS Vita, Gopro, more Phones and Tablets and More (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those "how did I live without this?" gadgets, January 29, 2015
The high capacity on this is wonderful- I can charge it up, then leave it sitting in the glove box for days until it's needed.

It definitely charges as fast as the stock wall charger, and because of the high capacity, I can get multiple top-offs or full charges without having to recharge the battery itself.

This has saved me more than once when my phone's gone haywire and unexpectedly drained itself-- I just pull this out and plug in, and I've quickly got enough charge to get me through the rest of the day.

Yes4All Ultra Light Hammocks - Purple color - ²CM8HZ
Yes4All Ultra Light Hammocks - Purple color - ²CM8HZ
Offered by idzo
Price: $20.00
3 used & new from $15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for anyone going camping, January 29, 2015
This review is from: Yes4All Ultra Light Hammocks
When I told my friends that I grabbed this for our upcoming camping trip, they all started laughing at the idea that I was going to set up a hammock at the camp site. But by the end of the trip, I had to fight to get in it because it was so comfortable- everyone wanted a turn. Someone even wound up sleeping in it for half the night.

This has just the right amount of support- stretchy enough to feel like you're settling in, but not so firm that it digs into you, and I didn't feel like it was trying to close over me and trap me like some hammocks.

Unless you're doing some hardcore backpacking, this is small and light enough to throw in with your gear and not think about it until you're ready to relax at the end of the day. Or mid afternoon. Or while you wait for someone else to make you breakfast.

I did grab some tree straps, which made this super-easy to set up, and didn't significantly add to the weight, and the carry sack had enough space to hold those as well.

Typing this up makes me wish that I could be lying in it right now!

JEBSENS - Super Bright Under Cabinet Lighting 14 LED - Motion Activated Automatic Light Up, Battery Operated, Cool White
Offered by JebsensDirect
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really super bright, but pretty good., January 29, 2015
I bought this to go inside a bar cabinet. It was easy to install, and the auto-detection works perfectly-- we open the door, and the light comes on.

The fact that it's got a hinged connector is great, as it allows us to point the light downwards at the wine rack. This also becomes important, as the light is not as bright as I hoped, and when it was just flush with the surface, it wasn't bright enough to be able to read the labels on the bottles.

Plex
Plex
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs to get surround sound working, January 25, 2015
This review is from: Plex (App)
I'm not sure why FireTV Stick and Chromecast make it so difficult to play surround sound, but that's what is holding this app back.

The good: The UI is amazing, just like you expect. It's super easy to find what you want to watch.

With the FireTV stick, it also seems to deal with the server running on my Synology DS412+-- I guess the FireTV stick has different video support than my Chromecast, as video on the Chromecast thrashes the CPU, but with the FireTV stick, it was able to ply without too much issue. No issues at all when using my Alienware as the server.

The bad: No surround. I know the file has it, and my BluRay player deals with it just fine. When they get that working, 5 stars. Until then, I'm sticking with the BluRay player.

Twitch
Twitch
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars How is this usable?, January 25, 2015
This review is from: Twitch (App)
Can't log into your account to see saved channels. Can't search for a specific channel. Can't use the Android app to start a stream on the FireTV stick.

I guess if you have small children who are happy watching whatever the featured channel of the day is, you'll keep them entertained for a while, but unless what you want to watch happens to be on the home screen, this app is useless.

Weber Battery Electronic Igniter Kit Genesis Ceramic Collector Box 67847
Weber Battery Electronic Igniter Kit Genesis Ceramic Collector Box 67847
Offered by Hard to Find Items
Price: $23.98
6 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll be kicking yourself for waiting, January 25, 2015
It was inevitable-- the original lighter built up corrosion in the battery compartment, and wouldn't throw a spark.

I spend a fair amount of time trying to clear it out, and brought it back form the dead twice, but last summer, I just couldn't get it clean enough, and started using a match.

On a whim, I looked this up, and when I saw the price, I pulled the trigger immediately.

Why did I wait!?

It took all of 3 minutes to remove the old one and install the new one, and now I once again can light my grill in a second without thinking about it.

So stop thinking about it-- grab this and get your grill working again!

Vimu Player
Vimu Player
Price: $1.79

4.0 out of 5 stars UPDATED- MKV audio support now working, November 29, 2014
This review is from: Vimu Player (App)
Version 2.0 of the app has worked some magic, and now almost all of my MKV files play with correct surround sound. The ones that don't at least are downmixed to stereo.

The interface isn't as cool as Plex, but being able to actually hear my files trumps posters and hearing the TV show theme.

I have spent a LOT of time trying to get surround working with the FireTV stick, and if you don't want to spend a lot of time transcoding or side-loading, this definitely seems like the best solution at this time.

Nice work on the update!

Intex River Run I Sport Lounge, Inflatable Water Float, 53" Diameter
Intex River Run I Sport Lounge, Inflatable Water Float, 53" Diameter
Offered by Great Price Fast Service
Price: $15.99
55 used & new from $15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A great deal for a super-comfy ride, October 25, 2014
Absolutely perfect for a lazy day on the river. You get just wet enough to stay cool, while not getting uncomfortable, and the back rest is perfect.

I do suggest that you tie your tubes together before you start drifting away-- we didn't think about it, and had a lot of fun trying to get everyone hooked up while getting pulled downstream.

LE Adjustable Focus CREE LED Flashlight, Super Bright, Batteries Included
LE Adjustable Focus CREE LED Flashlight, Super Bright, Batteries Included
Offered by NEON MART
Price: $24.50
7 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars How is it so small, but so bright?, October 25, 2014
When I used to camp in Boy Scouts, I was always that guy with a 5-D cell MagLight, trying to have the brightest light going.

This little thing blows away any MagLight I ever had, and at a fraction of the price and weight.

I still can't believe that they get that much light out of something so small.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3