Profile for James Sabo > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James Sabo RSS Feed (Shadow Hills, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Vimu Player
Vimu Player
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $1.50

1.0 out of 5 stars MKV audio support severely limited., November 29, 2014
This review is from: Vimu Player (App)
The only audio format that played for me was MP4A-- AC3 was a non-starter.

It also didn't support AVI or WMV, and although my HD Homerun device showed up as a server, it couldn't connect to it.

Given the extremely narrow list of supported formats, it would be nice to have that listed in the app description so I could have saved myself a couple bucks and half an hour.

Intex River Run I
Intex River Run I
Offered by ToysNGamesEtc
Price: $19.95
35 used & new from $14.17

5.0 out of 5 stars A great deal for a super-comfy ride, October 25, 2014
This review is from: Intex River Run I (Toy)
Absolutely perfect for a lazy day on the river. You get just wet enough to stay cool, while not getting uncomfortable, and the back rest is perfect.

I do suggest that you tie your tubes together before you start drifting away-- we didn't think about it, and had a lot of fun trying to get everyone hooked up while getting pulled downstream.

LE Adjustable Focus CREE LED Flashlight, Super Bright, Batteries Included
LE Adjustable Focus CREE LED Flashlight, Super Bright, Batteries Included
Offered by NEON MART
Price: $24.50
3 used & new from $9.29

5.0 out of 5 stars How is it so small, but so bright?, October 25, 2014
When I used to camp in Boy Scouts, I was always that guy with a 5-D cell MagLight, trying to have the brightest light going.

This little thing blows away any MagLight I ever had, and at a fraction of the price and weight.

I still can't believe that they get that much light out of something so small.

SealLine Baja Dry Bag 10 (Yellow)
SealLine Baja Dry Bag 10 (Yellow)
Price: $19.99
10 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger than expected, but perfectly water-tight., October 25, 2014
This review is from: SealLine Baja Dry Bag (Sports)
This was bigger than we expected, but that worked out-- we used this for a day of tubing, and we not only were able to load up all our basics like cell phones and car keys, but people threw in cigarettes, a book, and even a towel, and it all stayed perfectly dry.

Wenzel Klondike 16 X 11-Feet Eight-Person Family Cabin Dome Tent (Light Grey/Taupe/Red)
Price: $179.01
4 used & new from $155.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Great large tent if you don't have to haul it a long distance., October 25, 2014
Despite committing the cardinal sin of not setting this up at home before the trip, and getting there late enough that the first time we set it up was in the dark, this was still not horrible to assemble, and now that I see how the parts fit together, it should be very quick the next time.

Unlike most tents, you really do want to stake this one down before you put in the poles- we had a few stakes pull out, and those locations were a lot trickier to get set than the other ones where the stakes stayed in.

We only had three people in here, so we put an extra tarp down in the front room, then used that as a changing room-- we left all the gear and dirty shoes up there, which meant the back sleeping area stayed nice and clean.

We had perfect weather, so I can't speak to how waterproof it is, and while we threw the fly over it, we didn't bother to tie anything down.

The only negative I have about this was that it seemed to heat up really fast with the windows closed-- we had a lantern hanging from the top of the tent on a metal hook, and when we broke the tent down at 10AM, that hook was almost too hot to touch, and it wasn't even 75F outside yet. If you're using this during the summer, you probably really want to keep those windows open until the last minute to avoid toasting yourself.

NETGEAR AC1750 Wi-Fi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C6300)
NETGEAR AC1750 Wi-Fi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C6300)
Price: $199.99
35 used & new from $199.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting my 300Mbps from Time Warner, October 25, 2014
The good: it's as fast as advertised. I was able to pull down well over the promised speeds. It's nice to have the dual-band as well; I had to set the old cable modem to 2.4Ghz because we had too many devices that didn't do 5.

I did have to call Time Warner to get this set up, their web-based tool to automatically add a new modem didn't work for some reason. But that was very quick to do, and I was up and running in about 5 minutes.

A word of warning if you have to call-- the MAC address listed in the web interface for the modem does NOT match the actual address of the modem. If you need to give it to the operator, read it off the back of the modem.

The "eh": First off, compared to every other ISP interface device I've ever had, this thing is huge. It's nearly twice as tall as the Motorola Surfboard it's replacing-- there's no hiding this in the TV cabinet.

Next, the web interface is SLOW. I've got a Netgear R6250 as well, and the command that runs in 1 second on there takes 10 seconds on this. Yeah, you'll likely not ever go back in there once you've set this up, but it's frustrating to have such a long wait for something that should be simple.

The Bad: For whatever reason, the Ethernet switch on the modem isn't able to handle the long-but-still-within-the-spec cable I've got connecting the cable modem to the back of my house. I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why those computers weren't working before I realized that there was no link light. The old Motorola Surfboard this replaced had no issue with it, and I've got Netgear equipment on both ends, but it just doesn't work. I did verify that it's specifically the C6300; the Netgear switch and WiFi router can both talk to the old Motorola with no issue over that cable, but neither will talk to the C6300.

I'm going to drop another switch in there to resolve the issue, but since I bought this specifically because it had a built-in switch, it's annoying that I'm having to spend more money and lose yet another wall outlet to make it work.

The Bottom Line: If you're getting the 300Mbps boost from TWC, this is capable of getting the job done. It sounds like from other reviews that there are local problems making it work, but they're not specific to the product.

If you have a super-long run in your network, and don't need the built-in WiFi, you might want to consider the significantly cheaper Motorola SB6183.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2014 8:33 AM PST

Intex 1000-Gallon Filter Pump AC 110 to 120-Volt
Intex 1000-Gallon Filter Pump AC 110 to 120-Volt
Price: $42.99
29 used & new from $13.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Works better than the included pump for certain., August 6, 2014
We've been running this with the 10' pool for almost 3 months this summer, and it's worked like a champ-- the water is noticeably cleaner than with the included pump.

We've had it running full time, and there haven't been any issues.

Diztronic High Gloss Clear (Frosted Matte Inside) Flexible TPU Case for Samsung Galaxy S4 - Retail Packaging
Offered by Diztronic

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with wireless charging back., August 6, 2014
I'm using this case with the wireless charging back-- the case fit fine, and I can charge it without removing the case.

As they say, this WILL pick up dye from your jeans if you keep it in a pocket all the time, but I actually like the effect.

Sienoc HDMI Female to VGA Female Video adapter Color Black
Sienoc HDMI Female to VGA Female Video adapter Color Black
Offered by Get It Home
Price: $8.37
19 used & new from $5.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning if you're just looking to use this for Chromecast, June 25, 2014
I wanted to get this as a cheap way to get the audio off my Chromecast, primarily so I could turn old iPod docs into streaming audio stations.

This WILL work, however, if you don't have the VGA cable plugged into a computer, you won't get audio.

I was able to get around this by shorting out pins 5 and 10. It also seems to help if you short those pins out BEFORE you plug in the Chromecast.

DISCLAIMER- I've had this running for the time it took to write this review. I've no idea if this is going to short out the system or cause a fire. Proceed with caution.

It's not perfect, but if you don't want to pay $350 to do the same thing with a Sonos adapter, this is a pretty sweet solution.

If you're not comfortable with terms like "short" or "cause a fire," there are many devices that have power supplies that will let you do the same thing.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2014 10:49 PM PST

Corsair Flash Voyager GO 64GB USB3.0 micro USB OTG Flash Drive for Android devices CMFVG-64GB-NA
Price: $41.37
21 used & new from $41.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but super tight fit with my laptop., May 11, 2014
As in "so tight that I was worried I was going to break the thing in half putting it in, then couldn't remove it with one hand."

Granted, it's a new laptop, and it seems to work just fine with my desktop, but just something to be aware of, particularly if you expect to be swapping this in and out a lot.

No issues with my Galaxy S4, though.

One other note, when copying a large file off an SSD drive over USB 3.0, I got about 35MB/s for about 5 seconds, then the speed dropped to 22MB/s. I get about 17MB/s over USB 2.0 connection.

Given that this costs about the same as USB 2.0 products, there's no reason *not* to go for the USB 3.0 version, but I was expecting a little more speed out of it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3