Profile for R. Bennett > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Bennett RSS Feed (Ohio)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 APO EX DC OS HSM Lens for Nikon DSLR Cameras - USA Warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars Tack sharp. Very fast AF, March 29, 2014
This is a superb lens. Paired with my Nikon d7100, I'm getting pixel-peeping tack-sharp photos every time (YES, I get crappy photos, but never because of this lens, only my own limitations). The AF is quick, responsive, and accurate. I've never had it miss focus. I've never had it hunt the whole focus range. Yes, in a quiet room you can hear the OS engage, but it isn't very loud and is much quieter than a mirror moving out of the way. The build quality is incredibly solid. My only "negative" would be that the zoom and focus are opposite from standard Nikon, but that's not worth taking a star off. Use it for 20 minutes, and you'll forget about it.

Meike® Vertical Multi Power Battery Grip For Nikon D7100, Replacement of MB-D15
Meike® Vertical Multi Power Battery Grip For Nikon D7100, Replacement of MB-D15
Offered by TRONIXPRO
Price: $39.99
9 used & new from $37.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a perfect match, February 5, 2014
This grip seems to work well in all its functions, and is an acceptable copy of the Nikon grip (which I owned briefly but had buyers remorse at the expense). The major problem is that the electrical connections do not stay tightly seated, and therefore every wiggle of the grip (i.e. using it) and the camera activity light comes on, indicating it is doing or thinking about something with the grip. I'm not sure exactly what the camera is doing, because it stays on if my only battery is in the grip. But the fact that the camera is detecting the connection as loose worries me enough to not rely on the grip.

Frigidaire Gas Oven Ignitor 5303935066
Frigidaire Gas Oven Ignitor 5303935066
Offered by Free_Shipping_LLC
Price: $20.90
15 used & new from $15.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement for my failing ignitor, February 5, 2014
My ignitor wasn't drawing enough current to consistently light my oven, sometimes taking 10+ minutes before the gas valve would open. This replacement ignitor was a perfect fit, was packaged nicely, and had detailed instructions.

Lomography Diana+ 75mm Premium Glass Lens
Lomography Diana+ 75mm Premium Glass Lens
Offered by Lomography US
Price: $49.00
4 used & new from $39.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp simple lens, December 30, 2013
I'm new to the whole "lo-fi" thing, and in-fact I tend to like a fair bit of clarity in my images. I was intrigued by this lens being somewhere between toy and tool, so I picked up the lens and a Nikon adapter from photojojo. My first images can be seen on flickr, with this added on to the end of the URL: /photos/rick020200/sets/72157639206424953/

I understand that Diana cameras are not "through the lens" focusing, but this lens, with its "premium glass" marketing, and the availability of the Canon and Nikon mount adapters make me think these are being marketed to people like me. I wanna play, but I don't want every shot to be "artistically" out of focus. So that being said, I was surprised at what a pain it is to focus this lens. The little ring on the inside of lens body is tough to rotate, and is impossible to adjust while composing the image. I really think this lens could be a lot more enjoyable to use if there was a focus ring on the body.

The other negative is that the minimum focus distance is over 3 feet. Given the simplicity of the design, I'd love to see it focus closer.

That's enough of the negatives. On the plus side, it really is a pretty crisp lens. If you focus with your head (move it back and forth after estimating the focus distance on the ring) you can obtain some pretty nice shots. The other positive for me is the ability to easily remove the lens (but not the adapter) and 'free-lens' to get closer focus or selective focus a la lens baby.

Lomography Diana F and Adaptor for Nikon F mount-Black
Lomography Diana F and Adaptor for Nikon F mount-Black
Price: $13.99
6 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No glue required, December 30, 2013
First off, I found that it is not at all obvious how to mount this to your body because the mount marking is very faint. It looks like the adapter will mount to your body in three different orientations. Only one of those orientations is correct, causing the lens lock to engage. Look at the front-facing part of the adapter and find the small circle in the outer rim. Line that up with the lens dot on your body and rotate counter-clockwise (just like with a normal lens). This will lock the adapter in place just like any other lens on your body. I've tried on both a d7100 and a d5000 and both work exactly the same. I was able to securely lock the adapter into place without any problems once I discovered this dot.

Second, when I first tried to mount the lens on the adapter, it felt like it was loose. Then I realized that with an additional effort of a turn, it "clicks". It's plastic and takes a bit of effort, but the one lens I have will securely lock into place.

Finally, since I didn't see it documented anywhere, I'll note the f/stop that this adapter gives to various Diana lenses. The adapter has an approximately 6mm aperture. This leads to the following f-stops: 20mm=f/3.3, 38mm=f/6.3, 55mm=f/9, 75mm=f/12.5, and 110mm=f/18.

CowboyStudio Pro Video Counter Weight Boom Set with Light Stand, Boom Arm and Counter Weight

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent boom stand, December 28, 2013
Here are my first impressions after receiving and setting up this stand once. I'll update if my impressions change with additional usage.

About me: I'm a part-time pro, shooting a handful of weddings and 20-30 portrait sessions a year, about half of them inside. I have only hotshoe flashes, no studio strobes.

The materials used in this stand and boom are the same heavy duty quality as Cowboy studio background stands I own. On the stand, the only plastic is a single thumb screw handle. On the boom--no plastic. The counterweight is beefy and solid. I had to loosen the hex nuts so that it could be moved/removed on the boom, using the handle to lock it in place.

As others have noted, the grip head is plastic. Under light-weight use, it will very likely do the job fine. I loaded my stand up with the counterweight, a hotshoe softbox, a flash and a trigger. Then I set it to a 45 degree angle, and extended the boom arm. The grip head held just fine. Will it last over hundreds of uses? I don't know.

But at this price, its a good deal even if you throw the plastic one away and buy a replacement grip head. I've got a Kupo on the way

Orbit Electric Complete 6" Stainless Steel Pop up Floor Box w/ Rec
Orbit Electric Complete 6" Stainless Steel Pop up Floor Box w/ Rec
Offered by ELECTRIC VOLTAGE
Price: $88.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid and beautiful. No instructions., December 13, 2013
This floor outlet feels solid, and looks great. Installation was about what you'd expect for a residential electrical device. I'm deducting one star for one simple reason--it didn't come with any instructions. For an experienced handyman or homeowner who has changed outlets or switches, the lack of instructions is no big deal. But if you don't know the difference between your white and black, or don't know how to test for reversed polarity, have this installed by someone who does. And the outlet makes no claim as to being UL listed, just in case that bothers you.

Also, the version sent to me had a 20amp outlet, not the 15amp version in the one pictured. I'm not so sure I would trust this in a 20A application, and that's pretty rare in a residential setting anyway.

One last note: the outlet pops up pretty quickly. If you don't ease it up after releasing it, it makes a pretty loud thunk. A nice refinement in the design would be a damper so that it raises gently.

Like another reviewer, I received a brass model rather than the stainless steel version that I ordered. I ended up liking it better for my application. But there is evidently an inventory problem the seller is going to have to sort out.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Bluecell Pack of 9 PCS AA / AAA Battery Storage Hard Case Box
Bluecell Pack of 9 PCS AA / AAA Battery Storage Hard Case Box
Offered by Naviman
Price: $5.35
24 used & new from $2.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cases, August 6, 2013
These are great battery cases for your AA and AAA batteries. They're more solid than I assumed they would be, and the ability to connect them together is nice.

BalanceFrom High Accuracy Digital Bathroom Scale with 4.3" Large Backlight Display and Step-on Technology, Silver
Price: $25.00
5 used & new from $22.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what you'd expect, August 6, 2013
This scale works like a charm, delivering accurate, consistent results, with an easy to read screen. It looks great too.

Rogue FlashBenders ROGUERELG Large Positionable Reflector
Rogue FlashBenders ROGUERELG Large Positionable Reflector
Price: $37.95
22 used & new from $29.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great craftsmanship, too heavy for some flash heads., June 4, 2012
The flash bender is very well made. The stitching is solid, the materials are top notch. I have no doubt that it would stand up to years of abuse. And it can be set up as either a white-interior snoot or a black-interior snoot. I have three flashes: Yong Nuo YN560, Nikon SB-600, and Vivitar 285HV. The strap fits all of them fine.

My complaint, and the reason for knocking off one star, its that it is too heavy. With my YN560 and 285, the head tilt joints are just stiff enough to keep everything in place. Barely. I cannot use the flash bender on my SB600--the head immediately falls over. If you have the head on a light stand, pointed vertically, and the flash bender pretty much vertical, you could make it work. If you jam the velcro strap into the joint, it will probably hold position in a 45 degree angle, sort of. I really wanted to use it on my SB600 so that I could soften TTL flash on-camera. No dice. And I've got much bigger modifiers for off-camera use.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2012 9:51 AM PST