Profile for idlegravity > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

idlegravity RSS Feed

BSI 142 Foam Cure 4 oz
BSI 142 Foam Cure 4 oz
Offered by Routerbitworld
Price: $6.95
5 used & new from $4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor with EPO., December 29, 2013
This review is from: BSI 142 Foam Cure 4 oz
I bought this because it is significantly cheaper than Beacon Foam Tac and easier to find than Uhu Por. I was excited because I've been so happy with all of the CA glues from BSI. Foam Cure, however, was horrible. I followed the directions exactly when gluing the two halves of an EPO fuselage together, and a week later the two halves came apart when I barely pulled on them. Thus stuff is very brittle and practically worthless. I still love the other BSI adhesives, but avoid this's stuff like the plague.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2014 11:54 AM PST

Every Thing On It
Every Thing On It
by Shel Silverstein
Price: $13.97
133 used & new from $2.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, September 22, 2011
This review is from: Every Thing On It (Hardcover)
I read poems from Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic to my kids most nights before bed, so when I heard there was a new posthumous collection from Shel Silverstein, I ordered it up immediately.

I'm absolutely thrilled with this volume! I love that it has the same look and feel as my old 1980's editions of Shel's other collections, right down to the typeface, layout, dust jacket, and weight of the paper! I was a little worried the poems might not be as good as the ones I'm familiar with -- that they might be the third-string attempts that didn't make the cut for the earlier books -- but I'm happy to report they're fantastic! In fact several of the poems in this book are edging out older poems of Shel's as my favorites! The illustrations are also just as phenomenal as those in the earlier books.

I'm really glad Shel's family took the time to make such a perfect sequel to some of my family's favorite books!

Kodak PlayTouch Video Camera (Black)
Kodak PlayTouch Video Camera (Black)
Offered by SUPER CLOSEOUT
Price: $179.99
22 used & new from $63.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Kodak PlayTouch vs. Zi8, October 6, 2010
I bought the PlayTouch and spent a few days comparing it to a borrowed Zi8. I shot a couple of hours of footage in different situations and at different resolutions with the two mounted side-by-side. I thought a quick comparison of the two might be useful for others that are looking at the PlayTouch.

There were certainly some improvements in the PlayTouch over the Zi8:
* The device itself is smaller and sleeker. I think it looks a bit better than the older model.
* The low-light performance is better on the PlayTouch. Neither camera is great in low-light, but the PlayTouch would get a picture in a dark room when the Zi8 would only record black.
* The PlayTouch had a much wider angle lens. My kids always seem to come close when the camera comes out, and the wider angle of the PlayTouch was much better in these situations.
* MP4 file format (vs. MOV on the Zi8). The MP4 files from the PlayTouch played back much easier on my Windows machine than the equivalent MOV files from the Zi8. MP4 and MOV are just the container for the h.264 video inside, but for some reason everything works better in Windows with MP4. My editing software (Sony Vegas) chokes on the .MOVs created by the zi8, but works wonderfully with MP4s. Obviously QuickTime rocks if you're on a Mac.
* The PlayTouch has some nifty "effects" for your video. I don't think you'd ever use them in real life, but they're fun to play with for a few minutes and maybe kids would like them.

There were a few key ares in which the PlayTouch lost out to the Zi8:
* The video on the PlayTouch had WAY too much contrast. In a normal outdoor shot with the sun overhead and some light shadows from trees, half of the frame was blown out from the sun while the shadowy parts looked completely black. The Zi8 handled these situations with aplomb.
* The user interface on the PlayTouch was much slower and less responsive than the Zi8. Everything, from the menus to the time to start recording after pressing the button, felt much more sluggish on the PlayTouch.
* The video displayed on the screen while recording is tiny and lagged by about 1/2 a second. You'd think with a bigger screen, the video displayed while recording would be bigger, but you'd be wrong (The PlayTouch does display the video bigger on playback in landscape mode, though). The Zi8 video display didn't lag at all.
* The video on the PlayTouch didn't look as good as the Zi8 at any resolution. I don't know if it's due to a lower bitrate or something else in the compression, but the video from the PlayTouch had a lot more blocking and jaggy artifacts.
* In anything but bright light, the PlayTouch video was extremely noisy. Much worse than the Zi8.
* The PlayTouch seemed to heat up when recording 1080p video. It didn't get burning hot, but it was hot enough to cause me some concern.
* The PlayTouch crashed occasionally requiring a reset.
* Battery life was around 1 hour 5 minutes on the PlayTouch, while it was about 1 hour 30 minutes on the Zi8.

To me it was no question: I returned the PlayTouch and bought a Zi8. Perhaps some of the shortcomings of the PlayTouch can be fixed in future firmware updates, but the fundamental image quality problems cannot be fixed in firmware -- they are intrinsic to the CMOS sensor Kodak chose to put in the PlayTouch. I could overlook the crummy user interface for the low light improvement, wider angle lens, and MP4 container format, but the serious step down in video quality makes it impossible for me to the consider the PlayTouch.
Comment Comments (31) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 2, 2013 8:05 AM PDT

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Offered by Hubbagames
Price: $18.23
50 used & new from $10.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a good racer for the whole family., May 4, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Kart racing is a niche that's been woefully void on the Xbox 360, so I'm thrilled this game (whose name is way to long to repeat here) has arrived and does nearly everything right. I've been looking for a fun racer for my kids (3 and 4 years old) for several months, and this is the only one I've found that fits the bill. It's a blatant knockoff of Mario Kart, but that's exactly what we've needed for the 360. It's easy enough that my kids can play without my help, and fun enough that my wife and I want to play it with them (and then for a few hours after they've gone to bed)!

Pros (especially for kids):
* The tracks are fun and varied.
* 4 player split screen is fun for the whole family.
* The menus are very visual and easy to navigate for kids who can't read.
* The controls are easy to use.
* If a racer gets stuck, they're reset to middle of the track already moving. This is so nice for my 3-year-old!
* After any player crosses the finish line, the race ends in 30 seconds. Brilliant because my older son doesn't end up waiting for 25 minutes for the younger one to finish the race like on other games we've tried.

Cons:
* This game freezes up pretty frequently, requiring a restart of the Xbox. Totally unacceptable, and the reason I'm docking a star. I use the Xbox a lot, and I never see other games crash like this.
* The framerate is a little low on some tracks. It's a small complaint, and certainly still playable, but it's annoying nonetheless.
* You have to pay $5 through XBox live to unlock all the tracks in multiplayer (if you don't have the patience to go through the whole single player campaign). I would prefer them all be unlocked in multiplayer by default, or let you choose to unlock them like in Rock Band.

Overall, with the exception of crashing and freezing up, this game has far exceeded my hopes for a family racing game on the 360. If you have kids, you won't regret this one.

Head First Design Patterns
Head First Design Patterns
by Eric Freeman
Price: $38.01
92 used & new from $18.81

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on programming I've ever read. Seriously., August 19, 2005
Let me add my glowing praise to everybody else's for this book. I've been programming for a long time and pretty much thought I knew it all... then this book changed my whole perspective!

As someone who has long espoused Object Oriented principles, I was shocked at how little I really understood their true vale. Simply knowing (and using) principles such as abstraction, inheritance, polymorphism, and the like is not what OO is really about -- it's about writing solid, flexible, maintainable, and all around _good_ code... and that's exactly what this book teaches you. I feel like my eyes have been opened to the true beauty of OO!

Initially I was skeptical of the style and layout -- a far cry from the dry academic text in most programming books. It definitely made the book interesting, but I was shocked at how thorough it was... Every question I had was answered within a few sentences of when it popped into my head (even those rhetorical "I wonder..." questions).

The examples are in Java, but I've had no trouble applying the principles in my C++ and C# work as well. Whether you are trying to keep your job from being outsourced, or you just love programming, this is a book that you shouldn't be without.

Napoleon Dynamite
Napoleon Dynamite
Price: $16.09
78 used & new from $0.36

5.0 out of 5 stars This soundtrack's got skills..., October 12, 2004
This review is from: Napoleon Dynamite (Audio CD)
Just for the record, the missing song "Music for a Found Harmonium" is not by the Penguin Cafe Orchestra (they have a version of it, but it's not the one in the Movie), it's by Patrick Street.