Profile for Vinya > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 118

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Vinya RSS Feed (Washington State)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Kicking Horse Coffee 454 Horse Power Dark, Whole Bean Coffee, 12.3-Ounce Tins (Pack of 2)
Price: $24.00
12 used & new from $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, Even if You Aren't a Caffeine Addict, February 25, 2011
I bought Kicking Horse 454 Horsepower coffee for my mother after reading the reviews on Amazon, and I'm glad I did. She's a hard woman to shop for, with few hobbies but an endless capacity for drinking coffee, not quite mechanically-advanced enough to roast her own, but a coffee snob for sure. When my mom opened up the gift bag with these tins of coffee, she popped the lid on one and stuck her nose in, inhaled deeply and immediately left the room to brew a pot. This was a Christmas morning gift; she literally brought our gift-opening to a complete halt because she wanted a cup of the Kicking Horse coffee instead of what had already been brewed. It was a well-received gift, to say the least.

Dark, oily, velvety and rich beans produce a cup with the same quality. My mother was in whole bean coffee heaven and the whole house filled with the intense aroma. I'm a coffee drinker too, though compared with my mother that's sort of like looking at the Titanic, flipping your kayak, and saying you've had a boating accident too. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly surprised to find the brew palatable to me. Many of her dark roasts either taste too bitter in my mouth, or wind up upsetting my stomach; I didn't have either problem with Kicking Horse.

I highly recommend Kicking Horse Coffee. With my mother's birthday on the horizon, at least I now know to give her the coffee at the very end of the party!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2014 9:14 AM PDT

Roland Green Peppercorns in Brine, 1.75-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12)
Roland Green Peppercorns in Brine, 1.75-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Find, But What a Bounty!, February 25, 2011
I'll agree with some of the other reviewers that a case of peppercorns is quite a lot. I'd been searching for brined green peppercorn for ages, checking all our local gourmet shops and coming up empty-handed. Amazon to the rescue, of course. I was able to make the Steak Au (Green) Poivre I'd been craving with these and it was delicious; I just still had 11 1/2 cans worth of green peppercorn left over... So, I took it as a challenge. I mashed the remainder of my first can with a fork and mixed it into butter along with some sun-dried tomatoes - voila! An instant sauce for baked chicken. I peppered up traditional recipes with mashed or whole peppercorns too: Chimichurri Sauce gets an extra kick; Mashed Potatoes are topped with Herb-Peppercorn Gravy; and my Minestrone Soup never tasted so green peppercorny before!

I haven't made it through all 12 cans yet, but they do stay usable for a long while and I'm having fun playing around with them. It's hard to find many recipes that call for the peppercorns, so be prepared to be creative with your abundant bounty. The Roland Green Peppercorns are an excellent value for a high quality product that isn't available everywhere; if you're interested in getting some, why not get a case? At worst, donate what you don't use; I'm sure the people at your local Food Bank will be surprised!

Manicure In A Minute Hand Smoother With Vitamins A,E,C,Grape Seed Oil & Chamomile by Sally Hansen for Women - 3.2 oz Manicure

5.0 out of 5 stars Long-Lasting Moisture and Smoothness, February 25, 2011
When it comes right down to it, I'm not a manicure girl. I like spas and massages, but I hate the feeling of someone else cutting my nails; I even hated it as a little kid. Subsequently, I really love this product since it lets me get nice, radiant and smooth skin on my hands without submitting to a manicure. The Manicure in a Minute is an exfoliating rub with Vitamin A, C and E and Pro-Vitamin B5. All those vitamins combine with olive oil and grapeseed oil to moisturize your skin. The abrasive ingredient is just sugar, which I like because it doesn't clog my drains. I would actually worry about the oils in this product messing up my plumbing more than the sugar, but by not applying too much, I can keep from having a lot of product to rinse away regardless.

I always use this scrub on moistened skin, which makes it a little bit less intense of an experience, but still gets the job done. I only need a small amount (maybe a teaspoonful) to work into my hands, so a tube will last you a long time. I often use this after gardening, since I inevitably have dry and dirty hands after playing in the dirt, and this helps loosen any stubborn mud or soil and get my skin to feel soft and comfortable again. You can pretty much go to town for as long as you like, adding more of the smoother as needed, to massage and freshen your skin. When done, rinse lightly with very warm, almost hot water, which will loosen the sugar from your hands quickly and remove any extra oils without requiring you to use soap and risk removing more than you intended.

Overall, I recommend this product as an addition to your at-home spa days. It isn't an essential product, but it's a nice treat, and it works magic after a long day in the garden. (Really, even my dad likes it during the growing season!)

Sensodyne Pronamel Gentle Whitening Toothpaste, Alpine Breeze, 4-Ounce Tubes (Pack of 3)
Offered by NYHealthbeauty
Price: $21.59
11 used & new from $15.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive Teeth No More!, February 25, 2011
I've been using Sensodyne's Pronamel Toothpastes for years. I'm young(ish) but don't have great genes when it comes to teeth, and had suffered off and on from tooth sensitivity as long as I can remember. In fact, you know how people joke that you never see little kids or "invincible in their own minds" teens complaining about sore backs or wincing at an ice cream cone? Well, they didn't know me.

The great thing about Pronamel is that it works. It WORKS! I used it exclusively for a few months and found that it really helped. It didn't work overnight, but I didn't expect it to do so. At this point, I use it a couple of times a week only, and switch around with a couple of other brands whose flavors I like better. It actually really surprised me how little other reviewers commented on the taste of Sensodyne, so I'll jump in: Sensodyne Pronamel tastes horrible. It's not nearly as bad as the older, non-Pronamel Sensodyne, so if you've only tried that, you may be pleasantly suprised, but if you're used to "normal" (Crest, Colgate, even Tom's) toothpaste, don't expect to switch to Pronamel and not notice a difference.

It's just sort of medicinal, I guess, and bitter. As I said, I've been using it for years, and I've gotten more used to the taste, but it's not one I particularly enjoy. If you've got painfully sensitive teeth, the two minutes of bad taste is definitely worth the rest of the day with no pain. When I first started out with Pronamel, I'd combine it with my regular toothpaste to cut down on the bitterness, which is what I'd suggest you try if you're having a hard time with the flavor. And, though your mileage may vary, I haven't found any of the Pronamel flavors to be significantly better or worse than the others.

Nonetheless, I really highly recommend this product for people with sensitive teeth. It works well enough you can even skip a couple of brushings (with the paste, not skip them altogether) and have the decreased sensitivity remain. Honestly, it works so well I can rant about its taste and still give it a 5 Star Review; if you're looking for a sensitive toothpaste, look no further.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2013 10:47 AM PST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice At-Home Pedicure Product, February 25, 2011
If you don't like going to the spa for a pedicure, or do like going out for a pedicure but are trying to save some money by doing your own at home, this is a nice product for a bit of pampering. This Spa Pumice Cream is scented with lavender and tea tree oil, but not very heavily, so if you really like the aromatherapy qualities of spa-time, you may want to bump it up with your own essential oils as well. Although this cream contains some acids (which help to soften skin and loosen dry skin), I think most people with sensitive skin would be okay with it since it won't stay on your feet for long.

The best way to use this Spa Pumice Cream is to fit it in partway through your pedicure routine. After soaking my feet or taking a bath or shower, so the skin on my feet is already soft, I use a Ped Egg or other scraper to remove dead skin, then push back my cuticles, trim my nails and use a scrub like this one to smoothen out my skin. I put a good-sized dollop of the Pumice Cream on a warm, wet washcloth and rub it all over my feet. The pumice in the cream helps with light exfoliation, but wouldn't be enough on its own to tackle calluses. It says on the bottle, "You'll get softer, smoother, naturally radiant feet," and that promise is fulfilled.

This cream isn't designed to be a lotion, (though it will moisturize your feet with its added vitamins,) so either stay in the bathroom to rinse your feet after rubbing them down, or bring some hot water with you to use for removing the cream. I'm sure Sally Hansen would want me to suggest following up with one of their lotions, but I'm partial to Ms. Pedicure Moisture Rich Heel Cream, which is a great daily foot cream and an excellent value. If you have sensitive skin, avoid the Ms. Pedicure cream or any foot-specific lotion that includes peppermint oil, which can be overly stimulating and borderline painful to raw, post-exfoliation skin; instead use a rich, natural product you're already comfortable with, since your skin will be more prone to react badly to irritants. (Many of The Body Shop's Body Butters are ideal for soothing and hydrating after exfoliation on your feet or anywhere on your body.)

Overall, I recommend this product. It isn't an essential beauty product, but it's very enjoyable as a special treat. I should also note that the scent isn't particularly feminine, and men will enjoy the experience too.

Sally Hansen Just Feet Deep Callus Remover 1.7 oz.
Sally Hansen Just Feet Deep Callus Remover 1.7 oz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad Instructions? It Worked Well For Me, February 25, 2011
I'm surprised I've had such a different experience with this product than the other reviewers so far, but I really love this product! It's a clear, sort of goopy gel with little scent, despite claiming to have lavender and tea tree oil in it. You use it by squeezing a little onto your callused skin (my dry, prone-to-cracking heels were my first target), rubbing it in to cover and waiting about 60 seconds. The back of the bottle has a bold, all-caps warning to not leave it on for more than a minute, touch your eyes, use more than twice a week or on broken or sensitive skin. I have very sensitive skin, generally speaking, so when I use this gel I usually use nitrile gloves to apply it, and keep them on until I've rinsed it all off; the gel can be irritating if left on too long or if it gets onto non-callused skin.

After letting the gel sit on my dry calluses for a minute, I use hot water to rinse thoroughly and then wash with a nice soap and rinse again. Now, this is where the directions on the bottle stop, but at this point your calluses aren't gone, they're ready to be removed. I like to use a rasp, Ped Egg (Ped Egg Pedicure Foot File, Colors may vary) or, if my feet are really bad, a callus shaver (like this: Tweezerman Safety Slide Callus Shaver with Rasp) to scrape away the softened dead skin. And it works like a charm - I don't have to scrape or rub or shave for long or with any pressure to get a big improvement; if I don't use the Deep Callus Remover first, the Egg or Shaver aren't nearly as effective or easy to use.

I think that maybe the other reviewers who felt like the product didn't work expected the Remover to live up to its title completely and dissolve the callus to the point it would just wash away with the soap and water; it definitely doesn't do that, so I understand the disappointment. (I can't imagine how strong and corrosive a product you'd need to have the gel work like that, but I'd definitely be unable to use it without the fear it'd damage my non-callused skin badly.) The Deep Callus Remover may be mis-named, because it doesn't, by itself, completely remove the calluses. It does make it so the callus can be removed easily and effectively, by scraping the skin after cleaning the product off.

I highly recommend this product, particularly for people who don't frequently get pedicures (or like pedicures!) and need a good way to keep their feet looking and feeling nice.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2011 11:40 AM PDT

Ms. Pedicure Moisture-Rich Heel Cream
Ms. Pedicure Moisture-Rich Heel Cream

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Everyday Foot Cream, February 25, 2011
Ms. Pedicure Moisture Rich Heel Cream is one of my summertime staples. Although it claims to be an "Intensive Heel Cream," I use it almost daily during sandal weather on all the parts of my feet to help combat rough and dry skin. Containing both shea butter and aloe vera, the cream moisturizes well without being super heavy. I'd suggest something more heavy duty if you're in the process of getting your feet to the point of maintenance, but this works really well to keep them nice.

The most dominant scent is from the peppermint oil in the cream, which is combined with a little menthol for a lovely tingly and cool sensation. During the summers particularly, I adore slathering this stuff on my feet (and even using a little on my legs and arms) and turning on a fan; it's nearly instant relief from the heat. There is also some tea tree oil in this cream, which has some antibacterial properties. Some people find the strong scent of tea tree oil to be off-putting, but there's not enough included here to provide much fragrance.

Overall, Ms. Pedicure Heel Cream is a really good value for an everyday cream. It's rich without being sticky and lightly scented, so it's not overpowering. It's not a life-changer, but it is a good product.

Fair Trade Foot Lotion by LUSH
Fair Trade Foot Lotion by LUSH

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, But Nothing Special, February 25, 2011
There are LUSH products I really rave about and adore using; unfortunately this isn't one of them. Fair Trade Foot Lotion has a Pepto-Bismol pink color and a surprisingly short-lived scent, which is excellent for people who aren't crazy about mint. It's not overly thick, and though moisturizing, it's not as long lasting or deeply penetrating as I like my foot lotions and creams to be. There is a mild cooling sensation from the peppermint oil, which you can ramp up in summertime (when I know I need it most!) by having a fan blow across your feet as well; the real peppermint oil included in the lotion provides that lovely tingle. As usual, I like that LUSH products are made fresh and have no preservatives or chemical irritants that can be problematic for my sensitive skin.

Ultimately, although this is not a bad product, I just don't find it to be worthwhile. LUSH products are pretty expensive, and usually the quality is high enough to justify the added cost. To me, the Fair Trade Foot Lotion isn't any better than Ms. Pedicure Moisture Rich Heel Cream, which is cheaper and available at my local drug store. I was able to try a the Fair Trade Foot Lotion as part of one of their special kits, and though I'll use up the small tub I received, I won't buy more.

Side Note: The product currently pictured on the page isn't the Fair Trade Foot Lotion, it's the Volcano Foot Mask; don't be fooled by the photo.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2011 11:58 AM PDT

Dixie Bath Cups, 600 Count
Dixie Bath Cups, 600 Count
Offered by D&J Shopping Connection
Price: $13.39
22 used & new from $5.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Standard Little Cups, February 25, 2011
It surprised me that these cups would have a bad review, since they're pretty standard little cups. They hold the full 3 oz. quantity they claim to hold. I haven't left liquid sitting in them for hours and hours, but they're not flimsy enough I'd expect leaks to occur from typical use. The base of the cup is substantial enough that they don't tip over very easily, but they're short enough you'd have a hard time using it to hold a toothbrush or pencil without it falling.

As far as uses, these cups can do almost anything (except hold hot liquids; as it says in their title, these are "Dixie Cold Cups"). You can use a stack in the bathroom for rinsing out your mouth after brushing your teeth, or pouring mouthwash out of the bottle. You could use them to organize small things like thumbtacks and M & Ms (don't you hate it when those get mixed together?). You could use them to help control portion sizes. You could use them to hold a "sample" for a pregnancy kit. You can paint them red, stick on a tassel and put them on a doll's head as a fez. There are options, and with 600 cups just think of the things you could do - it's mind-blowing, really.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2011 10:39 AM PDT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good But Not Right for My Feet, February 25, 2011
I tried the Pied de Pepper Foot Cream as part of a gift pack called Sole Revival (which was full of little treats for your feet) and it wasn't one of my favorite products in the box. I didn't think it moisturized much at all, definitely not as effectively as the Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter by LUSH, which was a godsend for my dry heels. And I tend to like cooling sensations on my feet, so this cinnamon, ginger, clove blend was very unusual for me, and failed to relieve the pain and swelling I can wind up with after a long day on my feet, particularly in hot weather. The texture of the cream is hardly even creamy; it's light and surprisingly gentle given its spicy aroma.

Although I can't recommend Pied de Pepper as a foot cream, I did find it to be an excellent sore muscle rub for my lower back and shoulders/neck area. The cinnamon and ginger help to increase circulation, which can ease pain, and because it's a lightweight lotion, it doesn't take long to rub in like some medicinal gels can, so you don't have to track down help to use it. I quite like the scent too, particularly when compared to the harsh menthol quality of so many ache-relieving gels. The aroma of the cream in its pot is more astringent than it is on the skin; try a dab on and let it mellow for a few minutes if it initially seems too strong for you. Overall, I recommend this product, just not for its stated use.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2011 12:01 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12