Profile for supernova > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

supernova RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Bosch 50011309 QuietCast Premium Disc Brake Rotor
Bosch 50011309 QuietCast Premium Disc Brake Rotor
Price: $51.96
3 used & new from $24.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not fit my RAV4, August 7, 2014
My feedback does not apply to the rotor quality, as I did not have a chance to evaluate them, but to the rotor size and fit.
I ordered 2 of those rotors for my 2008 RAV4 V6, as the website description indicated that they would fit. Once I received the rotors, it turns out they are smaller in diameter (275mm) and thickness (25mm) than my stock front rotors (295mm, 28mm, respectively). Unfortunately I learned this when I was far in the car brake disassembly process.
May be they are designed for a European market (275mm is one of front rotor sizes mentioned in RAV4 repair manual). But they are obviously too small for my car - check your car fit before ordering!

Wagner ThermoQuiet QC1212 Ceramic Disc Pad Set With Installation Hardware, Rear
Wagner ThermoQuiet QC1212 Ceramic Disc Pad Set With Installation Hardware, Rear
Price: $33.84
26 used & new from $33.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Works good, but rusts fast, August 1, 2014
Pads work adequately - they provide silent braking with reasonable amount of break dust. But in about 1 year after installation to my RAV4 the pad silver paint has chipped off, and pads metal plate rusted out. As I care about my car appearance, I will replace them with another brand pads once these pads wear out.
For comparison, my car front pads (Monroe) installed 3 years ago keep their black paint coating and show no sign of rusting.

Centric Parts 120.44146 Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating
Centric Parts 120.44146 Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating
Price: $44.72
21 used & new from $37.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Rotors rust quickly, February 26, 2014
I got those rotors for my car primarily because they are advertised to have "E-coating" that is supposed to prevent rotors from rusting. My car aluminum wheels are quite open, so the rotors are exposed to elements and are visible, and esthetic aspect is important to me.
To my disappointment, the protective coating did not hold for long. The outer edge coating disappeared first, and the edge got rusted very quickly – rusted metal pieces flake out. The hub coating held longer, but gave up completely in about 1 year. The rotors look very rusty at the moment. In contrast, my rear wheel rotors (ACDelco) protective paint holds much better, it has no visible signs of rusting after about 1 year use.
On the plus side, there is no issue with the rotor warping or unusual noise or breaking traction. They perform well. But once the rotors are worn, I will replace them other brand rotors that do not rust as easily.

Mini CO2 Monitor
Mini CO2 Monitor
Offered by CO2Meter
Price: $109.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device!, February 11, 2014
This review is from: Mini CO2 Monitor (Kitchen)
I was concerned about air quality in my central air/heat house during the cold winter days. I was not sure if it is too tight to restrict fresh air intake. I even considered getting an air heat exchanger that allows the central air system to get fresh air with minimum heat loss.
Before I invested in the exchanger installation, I decided to measure CO2 level in my house to assess air quality. This device was one of the cheapest CO2 meters I could find, so I ordered it.
The device arrived very quickly. It is very portable, and uses a standard USB power source. I have not connected it to my computer as of yet, so I am not sure about its data logging capabilities (if any).
One of the best features is that the device has 3 LEDs to display CO2 range - green has a limit of 800ppm, so it informative enough just to give a quick glance at the device at night (green LED is quite bright). It also displays inside temperature, but you need to get close to the device to see the reading. It also does not have a backlight.
Overall, I am happy to get this meter - it works great and allows me to monitor my bedroom air quality. It saved me from getting an expensive upgrade to my central air system.

Houzer VIRTUS N-100XL CAYENNE Schock-Houzer Virtus Series N-100XL Topmount Large Single Bowl Kitchen Sink, Cayenne
Price: $339.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sink!, January 19, 2014
The sink color is very close to what the screen shows - but it also has a bit of copper-shade sparkle to it (Cayenne is one of the "Metallic" colors for the sink line). The sink feels very deep and spacious - much better than a double bowl sink it replaced. It also feels more solid and quiet under running water compared to a stainless steel sink. Surface feels smooth and hydrophobic - water tends not to wet it, so it dries fast after use. I would be very careful about using proper sponge not to add any scratches, though.
Installation was relatively easy, one of the pleasant surprises was that my Waste King disposer drain flange fitted the sink drain hole (3.5" in diameter) perfectly. I used regular plumbers putty for the flange. It sits slightly recessed (the drain hole has a pre-scratched recessed ring around it) for water not to pool at the bottom. Included mounting anchors accommodate counter top thickness 30-40mm - thinner counter tops will need some shims in the mounting points - I cut a proper thickness shim out of a 2x4 wood piece.
One strange sink design feature is one of the mounting points (it is extra thick to hold the plastic anchor) is being located too close (about 1/2") to the pre-drilled faucet hole. My Kohler faucet U-shaped metal mounting flange (bottom side of the sink) needed side cutout because of this - it takes some extra time and proper tools. It is not a big deal for an experienced installer, but may require trip to a hardware store to get the tools (thin blade hand metal saw and a metal file) if you do not have them.

Bosch DDS180-02 18-Volt Lithium-Ion 1/2-Inch Compact Tough Drill/Driver Kit with 2 Batteries, Charger and Case
Offered by My Quick Buy
Price: $139.99
11 used & new from $109.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Need to evaluate chuck outside sleeve wobble, October 3, 2013
Just got the drill (DDS181-102L set), and started playing with it. The set comes with a 2.0A slim battery - a nice surprise to get a higher-capacity battery than promised 1.5A one. The box is spacious and sturdy, and light at the same time. The drill looks and feels close to what other reviewers got to say about it. I always wanted a Bosch drill.

I am concerned about the chuck outside sleeve wobble. It noticeably wobbles to a point of slight drill vibrations at high speed. The drill bit seems straight despite of this. I need to look around to find if it is a normal behavior, or I need to return the drill for replacement.

Garmin nüvi 2455LMT 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates
Price: Click here to see our price
62 used & new from $59.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Who came up with this address entry idea?, May 24, 2013
First - some good words about the device. One of the best features of the device is that it has a power/sleep button that places it in sleep and wakes it up almost instantly. This is a great power saving feature. Looks like in the sleep state the device can spend several weeks until the battery discharges. So when I want to use it, it spends just several seconds to re-lock on the satellites. My other older GPS took several minutes to achieve the same as it had to perform a cold boot.

Life map updating software works great, it updates the device firmware at the same time (if a new version is available). Note that internal memory capacity is not enough for the latest maps of America, I had to buy a 4GB micro SD card for the external SD slot. Otherwise you need to make a decision which part of the map to flash on the device.

Now is my biggest complaint about the device - the way it enters search address. It is so radically different than other ways proven by millions of GPS users.

So it asks you to enter a house number first, then a street, and then it spends some time searching for a list of cities with this street address. Now imaging you need an address something like 110 Main Street. How many fits it will find? What if you need a city far away, in a different state? Of course you can keep entering the search city (and state), but time is already spent.

The most irritating about this entry way is that device no longer helps you to find matches. It does give a list of suggestions as you type a street name, but often you spend more time browsing through the list then just typing the whole name. If I need a Main Avenue, it would list something like "Main", so when I press on it it no longer asks if it street or avenue, so I have to get back to the street entry and add this info.
My 5 year-old car navigation system (not Garmin) gives an amazingly simple entry way - you pre-select state and enter city, street, number. Once the device knows your destination state/city, it grays out the letters that are not used, so typing becomes very simple, and is very quick to give you a list of possible city and street names (as it has a much smaller database list to select from). Extremely simple and useful!

As Nuvi 2455LMT allows user to update its firmware - Garmin, please change your address entry method!!! Or at least give us an option to revert to the search entry way I described above. Once this happens, I will change my rate from 3 starts to 5.

Update: I decided to downgrade my rating to a one star - it keeps to be EXTREMELY irritating to enter address to this unit - it offers no usable help during entry, as it has no idea what you are looking for (using just a number of a house in the beginning). If I knew that it operates this way - I would NEVER have bought it. It is a pity - the hardware itself is very decent.

JBL GTO628 6.5-Inch 2-Way Loudspeaker (Pair)
JBL GTO628 6.5-Inch 2-Way Loudspeaker (Pair)
Price: $53.72
12 used & new from $43.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers, but pay attention to wire polarity!, April 27, 2013
Got those speakers for my 2012 Ford Focus SEL 5 door, because I really liked components JBL GTO608C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System that I installed in the front doors. I use a stock head unit - non-Sony with Sync, driving 6 speakers. Overall, installation in the rear doors was very easy, as I used the OEM speaker baffles. High sensitivity of the speakers is evident - I can hear increased sound level at the same volume settings. So far the speakers seems like a nice addition to their "cousins" in the front doors - they (GTO628) add low and mid frequencies nicely to the overall sound. Highs from GTP628 are not as evident because there is no line of sight to the rear door mounting location when I am in the driver seat.

But I noticed one very important discrepancy in the speaker installation instruction - its picture for the wire polarity swaps "+" and "-" wires. It is very important, as swapping them may lead to drastic decrease in the low frequency response from all speakers as perceived by the car occupants (see below why this is). May be this explains why some people report something like "no bass response from the speakers" after they replaced their car OEM speakers, all because they followed the installation instruction wire polarity.

The installation instruction (you can get it from the JBL website when you search for GTO628 product page there) shows a particular "+" and "-" wire connection to the speaker. It seems that it draws the speaker from the magnet side. I believe that the correct wire connection would be when the same picture draws the speaker from the front (membrane) side.

Here is my evidence:
1. When I examine the speaker tabs, the small white board (where all wires solder to) has a "+" sign engraved on it, and it does not coincide with the instruction-suggested location;
2. I used a 1.5V battery to test the speaker polarity - the speaker membrane should move up if the battery "+" terminal touches the "+" lead of the speaker. Result - the speaker "+" engraving pointed to the correct positive terminal.
3. GTO608 woofers have a particular "+" and "-" tab arrangement (you can get GTO608 instruction from JBL website) that agrees with the GTO628 engraving, but contradicts to the GTO628 installation instruction picture.

Some basics behind speaker polarity: if even one woofer speaker in a car is connected backwards, its membrane moves in the opposite direction than those of the rest of the speakers. At low frequencies, this leads to "canceling out" the sound wave as, for example, it tries to "pull" the sound wave at the same time as the other speakers try to "push" it.

I am very puzzled as to why manufacturer made such an error, and hope that JBL reps browse our reviews so they can correct the instruction. Otherwise more and more people will complain about "lack of bass response" in their review - all because of the incorrect speaker connection.

Edit on 05/28/13 - forgot to mention - remember to remove sticky transparent film from the magnet back - otherwise when the speaker is exposed to hot summer temperature, the film will curl up and fall inside the door, potentially blocking one of the door drain holes.

Edit on 05/29/13 - I agree with a reviewer who noticed decreased low-frequency response after replacing the stock speakers. I just got a rental Camry and was amazed by the car stock audio system bass intensity, even at moderate EQ bass settings. My body has shaken. Especially when this bass comes from a small speaker with paper cone and a tiny magnet (I could see 2 of them from inside the trunk). It seems to me that stock speaker designers tune the speaker impedance to the factory head unit (more on the speaker impedance is below). This would lead to very powerful bass, but makes mid-frequency response quite distorted. In general, speakers with smaller magnets (like stock speakers) may have a better low-frequency response (reason for this is quite complex).

Each speaker has a very complex effective impedance curve, usually it peaks at low frequency (around 80-100 Hertz it can be as high as 20-100 Ohm for a large-magnet speaker with a 4 Ohm nominal impedance). This relates to the speaker membrane and driver design. Modern solid-state amplifiers present a 0 Ohm load to the speaker, meaning that speaker no longer can freely move around this peak, or resonant, frequency. This is so called "damping effect of a solid-state amplifier". Speakers with smaller magnets generally less prone to the damping effect at the peak frequency, so they can be moved by amplifier much easier in the usable bass range(50-80Hz). This is an oversimplified explanation of course.

So GTO628 speakers may easily feel greater damping effect at low frequency than the stock speakers do. Result - decreased bass response (it is still there, it is just attenuated). Solution - to use an external amplifier that can deliver proper (higher) gain at low frequency (some amplifiers allow boosting curve right at the speaker resonant frequency). Or to use a dedicated subwoofer. I personally like neither of the options, so I just enjoy very clear mid-highs (with some hints of bass) from the GTO speakers driven by the factory head unit.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2014 7:52 AM PDT

Toyota RAV4 Backup Rear View Camera Monitor 2006-2011
Toyota RAV4 Backup Rear View Camera Monitor 2006-2011
Offered by NewerStone
Price: $15.80
6 used & new from $13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, mediocre mechanical, January 14, 2013
I bought this camera for my 2008 Rav 4. It turns out that the camera holder is not designed properly for this car. To start, the key hole for the license plate light socket is not cut right - I had to cut grooves for the socket myself - can't imagine that many people want to do this. Second, the holder accepts the socket in vertical position - Rav.4 does not have enough space to accommodate the socket in this position (the original holder keeps the socket at 45 degree angle). I had to cut excess from the socket to fit it inside the rear door (dangerously close to the wires). Third, the holder is not cut right for the rear door - it is seemed to be held there by friction, not by properly shaped extension tabs and locks as the default holder is kept.

So it took me about an hour to install the camera, but after all this trouble the camera shows a good image with good coverage. I like that it is shifted toward the spare tire - it makes it easier to assess the object locations behind the car. It is sensitive enough to show low-noise COLOR image at night using just the car backup lights. It also has color lines (green, yellow, red) to visually guide you to keep proper distance to rear objects.
So in conclusion - a good camera with mediocre enclosure. It is possible to fit it inside Rav. 4, but be prepared to do some cutting and fitting. If the manufacturer re-designs the enclosure, it will be a terrific product.

nVISION 60100VA Back Up Sensor System
nVISION 60100VA Back Up Sensor System
Price: $37.46
10 used & new from $28.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, August 17, 2012
I got this product for my new car, as it was the only backup sensor I could find that does not require the car body modification.
I was pleased to find that the packaging includes 2 wire splicers that I was going to purchase separately, as well as a rubber gasket in case you do need to drill a hole in the trunk to pass the power wire though.

Installation was easy - I passed the power wire through the license plate light fixture without any drilling. License plate fits the frame nice and tight. The included long screws were handy to attach the license plate due to increased distance because of the sensor frame. Please notice that some cars use different screws for the plate mount - you may need to buy matching longer screws.

The sensor is quite sensitive - I back into a shrub area, and the sensor picks up reflection from the shrub branches - very impressive. The buzzer has two settings for the volume - one is adequate for a minivan or SUV installation inside the cabin, and the second is loud enough if you install it inside a sedan trunk - in fact, it is loud enough for people outside to hear it as an extra indication that a car backs up. The two sensors can be tilted independently up and down (no tilting horizontally) - allowing for a custom sense area tailoring.

Since the installation there were several heavy rain storms, and the sensor works as before (all the electronics is inside the frame) - so it has an adequate weather protection. After my purchase of the sensor two of my friends got the same product, and so far they are happy with it as well.

One feature of the product - it has a slight delay registering an obstacle - this means that car needs to back up relatively slow to allow the sensor to react.

Page: 1 | 2