Profile for Whitney S. Hoffman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Whitney S. Hoffman RSS Feed (Chadds Ford PA)

Page: 1 | 2
Family ties. (direct mail techniques for political campaigns) (24 Winning Ideas): An article from: Campaigns & Elections
by Wayne C. Johnson
Edition: Digital
Price: $5.95

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, September 16, 2014
incredibly basic and unhelpful- google and blogs have better advice

Prince Triple Squash Bag
Prince Triple Squash Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect bag, January 24, 2013
This review is from: Prince Triple Squash Bag (Sports)
Fits at least three racquets and has a separate pocket for squash balls. Helps keep my gear organized. Well made.

Extra Long 18" Neon Plastic Drinking Straws- Pack of 200
Extra Long 18" Neon Plastic Drinking Straws- Pack of 200
Offered by myriahsbazaar
Price: $19.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect, January 24, 2013
Longest straws ever- helpful for my mom who,has a tremor. Colorful and easy to adjust for very tall glasses. Than you so much.

Rules of the Hunt: Real-World Advice for Entrepreneurial and Business Success
Rules of the Hunt: Real-World Advice for Entrepreneurial and Business Success
by Michael Dalton Johnson
Price: $17.45
54 used & new from $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than A Sales Book, July 30, 2012
It's such a well worn cliche- you can't judge a book by its cover. In this case, it's true. While I expected all sorts of simple sales advice, instead, Rules of The Hunt is more like the I Ching. For one, the book is set up into little vignettes of advice and story telling collected roughly into chapters- yet each short piece is compelling and meaningful on its own. Each piece of advice can be unpacked for deeper meaning, beyond just sales.

For example, I regularly surprise audiences of non-profits and educators by trying to explain to them what they can learn from sales and marketing. All the time I spent in law school, learning how to construct a case and use facts and the law to my client's advantage- that's exactly what sales and marketers try to do when selling a product. Likewise, if you're an educator, you've got to be able to "sell" the purpose of your math, science or history class to the students, and get them to "buy in" that all the time and effort they spend in their class is worth the investment. If you're a non-profit, you have to figure out how to make your mission attractive enough that donors and volunteers are willing to help you and believe in your mission as much (or more) than you do. Whether we realize it or not, even trying to get a kid to eat his vegetables involves sales and marketing, and we're foolish if we don't look to that field for advice on how to do it better.

The Rules of The Hunt is almost like a collection of business proverbs with examples attached. There's creativity, ideas, and out of the box approaches galore. It's the kind of book I love, because you can open it to almost any page and find something useful, unlike some books that seem to run out of ideas in the first few chapters and the rest seems like filler or justification for the book deal.

Each and every page has at least one or two great nuggets of advice you can use right now. It may be stuff you already know and think about regularly, but even those things can be reinforced. The stories are short, to the point and entertaining. This is a book you could keep on your desk or in that "reading room" at home, for just a few minutes worth of advice just when you need it, whether you decide to read it cover to cover or a page here and there.

I was taken by surprise at how much I've enjoyed Rules of the Hunt, and how it's going to be on my recommended reads list for the classes I teach. This is the Sales book for folks who insist they hate selling. It is really about getting to the heart of the matter, identifying your goals, and getting the good advice you need to map out your plan to the finish line. Even for the earnest, die-hard academics and other purists who insist that nothing they do is about sales, this book is helpful if they take it, instead, as a book about how to make your audience care, win an argument, or simply convince someone else that you have a good and workable idea. And in the end, that's what we all have to do every day, whether it's business, family or personal- we have to make our case and find a path towards our goals, big and small. This book will help with them all.

STACK Infinity bar soap (Pack of 6)
STACK Infinity bar soap (Pack of 6)
Offered by Kalan Health
Price: $12.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm!, July 4, 2012
I funded this as a Kickstarter, because I also hated all those littler slivers hanging around in the sop dish in our shower. We've reached the " insert the sliver" stage with the first bar-we even waited a. Little longer than we had to- and the meld process worked well- within a shower's time, the old bar was secure, and we had reasonable soap again!

I really love the fragarence- just enough, not too much- really pleasant . Our new soap. Period.

The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to help get people thinking, June 6, 2012
The best thing about the $100 start-up is the way it walks people through starting their own business. It seems as many Mom & Pop shops have closed, there's other people right behind them, willing to take the risks and rewards of doing their own thing, and this book has great ideas for maximizing the upsides. Some folks sitting in jobs that hate never seem to think they have what it takes to take the plunge and do their own thing, and this book helps folks see it's possible with what they have at hand. The marketing and digital marketing advice, including how to set up a killer offer are things every business owner should know, (non profits as well.) If you are thinking about doing your own thing, this is a great guide to pick up and have along the path.

The Flinch
The Flinch

5.0 out of 5 stars The Kick You Need to Do The Work, December 7, 2011
This review is from: The Flinch (Kindle Edition)
Julien's book is what I need- something I can reread when I'm feeling lazy, or complacent and need a kick to get it in gear and make every day count. I've had the pleasure of having Julien be my kick in the pants in the past, and I'm glad he's sharing this with others so they get the message that facing your fear and risking a little pain brings many more rewards, and it teaches us that we are resilient, egging us on to reach farther and achieve more. I can't believe i's free, because this is the stuff only that wonderful but brutally honest friend tells you- what you need to hear, rather than the coddling we all get because people are trying to be nice. Nice doesn't build cities or conquer new lands.

Best of all, Julien lives this existence all the time. He gets me to challenge my boundaries and understanding all the time, and I'm just thrilled I can share this widely with friends who don't know Julien as well. He is one of the smartest and most challenging people I know, and my life is much better for it.

The Differentiated Instruction Book of Lists
The Differentiated Instruction Book of Lists
by Jenifer Fox
Price: $27.19
42 used & new from $18.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing Theory into Practice, September 7, 2011
We may have all heard of personalizing or differentiating instruction, but what does this look like in a classroom? How does a teacher begin to differentiate their lessons? This book is full of steps, tips, ideas and resources to let teachers in any subject area, at any level, begin to make differentiating part of their lesson plans today. In addition to the book, bonus material, links to resources and more is available at the author's website at [...]

Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, Ebooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business (New Rules Social Media Series)
by C.C. Chapman
77 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Insanely Great Look at Creating Content, November 29, 2010
I should preface this review by saying I have been podcasting and creating content for the web for over five years now, and that I regularly help clients do the same. This said, I was expecting Content Rules to be a good book on the subject, but perhaps one of those that did not speak to me, because of my experience. I was wrong- Content Rules speaks to everyone- even seasoned content creators, by providing the metrics we may know around content creation, but haven't yet articulated, and helps make the case for content for everyone from people getting their feet wet on the Web for the first time, to those who are looking to raise their game and up their level of engagement with others online.

Content Rules is compelling and honest from the introduction on. It is a book I can hand my clients, friends, teachers- almost anyone who wonders why people need to or bother creating content for the web- to help not only explain why compelling content is important, but how to create it. It helps people break down the barriers that often get in the way of creating compelling content, and instead gives them some parameters on how to make sure your authentic and compelling voice shine through. In addition, the examples and case studies in the book bring the rules to life, in a way that will help folks understand how to find their human voice, and why that is so important to success in contrast to another paragraph of over-polished, sanitized, personality-free "safe" messaging.

I'm really excited by Content Rules as a book I can enthusiastically pass on to friends, colleagues, clients and more. If it's between a more generic book on social media or online marketing and this one, you need Content Rules because it will help you understand the fundamental approach you need to take regardless of the tool, platform, network or marketing plan- you need to concentrate on your Content first.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2013 6:54 PM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Skateboard, October 25, 2010
My son is thrilled with his flowboard! It's kind of like a cross between a snowboard, surfboard and skateboard for land. I think it's really helping him with his balance and understand how shifting his weight affects direction, which should help improve his "regular" skateboarding and his snowboarding this winter as well.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2011 5:35 PM PDT