Profile for Jeddy 3 > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 393

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeddy 3 RSS Feed
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Orvis Women's Faux-suede Shirt, Mustard, Small
Orvis Women's Faux-suede Shirt, Mustard, Small
Offered by Orvis
Price: $79.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft and luxurious., July 9, 2015
Gorgeous colors, gorgeous drape, really luxurious. As is typical with Orvis I find that these shirts have a somewhat "boxy" cut, but that doesn't matter because they hang so nicely. At 39.99, these are a steal. I got several in different colors. Will get lots of wear from them in at least 3 seasons.

KitchenAid KKFMA11FP Professional Series 11 Piece Cutlery Set, Frosted Pearl
KitchenAid KKFMA11FP Professional Series 11 Piece Cutlery Set, Frosted Pearl
Price: $599.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A “cut” above the ordinary KitchenAid knives, June 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These knives don't look or feel like typical mass-market KitchenAid knives. The handles are an unusual shape, and the thick German steel tang goes straight through the handle, held by 3 thick rivets. The unusual shape of the handles is very comfortable in my hand, and the weighting and balance of of these rather heavy knives is excellent. How do they cut? They are fantastic. They arrive quite sharp, and I immediately made short work of a variety of vegetables, hard and soft. The most unusual knife in this set is the 5.5” serrated utility knife, which already earns its keep just by being great at slicing tomatoes. But there is one flaw, in my opinion, in the design of these knives: the bolster (the back of the blade, which may make contact with your finger, depending on your technique). It's not thick, just an unsharpened portion of the knife. I'm guessing they omitted the thickened steel to save weight. No danger of being cut, but if your technique involves contact with the bolster, it's going to get uncomfortable quick.

For some reason, the product description does not include a list of the knives included, or photos of what they look like. So here are the contents:

8” Chef’s Knife
3.5” Paring Knife
3” Paring/Peeler Knife
Kitchen Shears
Sharpening Steel

I’ve also taken some photos that indicate the assortment as shown on the box, and as they look when they arrive nestled in their protective foam beds. The handle is made of some kind of black plastic with a faint woodgrain pattern; it actually fooled me at first into thinking it was black-laquered wood, because it has that kind of feel. The positive side of the plastic is that it should be more durable than wood, and it allows the set to be dishwasher-safe. The instructions do say that hand washing will help the performance and appearance of the knives. Personally, I wouldn’t dream of putting any decent cooking knives in the dishwasher anyway, so dishwasher-safeness doesn’t matter in my case.

A word on the “Frosted Pearl” wedge — I notice that another reviewer felt it looked plasticky and tacky. (It’s actually lacquered metal.) I don’t agree that it looks tacky; I think it has that vaguely 30s, vaguely modern look that KitchenAid is famous for (for example, think of the design of their famous mixer). I think this wedge would look excellent in a modern kitchen or even a kitchen with mid-century style.

Overall, this set is an excellent choice for a discerning home cook who needs a wide variety of heavy-duty, durable knives.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Pre de Provence Soap Shea Enriched Everyday 150 Gram Extra Large French Soap Bar - Rose De Mai
Price: $6.99
11 used & new from $6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical fantastic scent and moisturizing you'd expect from this excellent brand., June 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been a longtime fan and user of Pre de Provence's soaps, and one of the reasons is that they scent my whole bathroom with a faint, but gorgeous scent I notice every time I walk in. This wonderful soap is no exception. It has the most heavenly rose scent -- I would actually compare it to getting a face full of peony, with that same powerful, yet delicate sweetness. Not only does it gently scent the room, the smell lingers on my hands in a very pleasant way. And the soap is not drying, unlike many scented soaps. Another plus is that, like all of the Pre soaps I've used, it's very hard and so it lasts a long time if you let it dry between uses.

I'm delighted with the soap and the typical Pre de Provence quality. One heads-up: If you are a regular Pre user, be aware that this is not one of those big bath-sized bricks. It's about half that size and on the long side. I find it very comfortable to use at the sink, but it may not fit in all soap holders.

Crayola Chalk Set (72 Count)
Crayola Chalk Set (72 Count)
Offered by Crayola Store
Price: $12.49
14 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge, colorful, easy-to-handle chalk was the hit of the block party, June 14, 2015
This review is from: Crayola Chalk Set (72 Count) (Toy)
These are the best chalks around, bar none. The huge size and squared shape make them perfect for writing on the sidewalk. They're tougher than cheaper chalks, and don't break as easily. The 72-pack was the hit of our block party. Everyone had all the chalk they wanted in the colors they wanted. If you're not having a huge block party, these will last you a long, long time. And if you are having a block party? Prepare to be the most popular house on your street!

Design For Living Single Wall Ice Beverage Cup with Berry Sleeve and Matching Straw, 32-Ounce
Price: $12.95
7 used & new from $7.19

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't keep stuff cold, sweats too much, sharp lip/edge, June 14, 2015
Because it is not insulated/double wall, this cup sweats way too much when it's got ice in it. And the lip is sharp, so if you want to drink without the lid/straw, it's unpleasant. It's true, the description clearly says single wall, but I just had no idea that this would create a huge puddle when left for a few minutes with an icy drink (which quickly turns into a warm drink). And I like to drink from the glass without the lid and straw, and the screw thread being on the outside plus the inside lip being kind of sharp makes that unpleasant. All in all, though it's nice that this fits into cup holders and has a large capacity, the inability to keep drinks cold and the sharp lip are deal breakers for me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2015 5:18 PM PDT

Almost Famous Womens Jersey Knit Palazzo Pants
Almost Famous Womens Jersey Knit Palazzo Pants
Offered by Classic Designs
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice breezy summer option, just be prepared for LONG length and unusual cut, June 14, 2015
These are a nice, light, breezy alternative to pants for summer wear, but be aware of some aspects of the fit. First, these pants are hella long. I estimate the inseam at 34.5-35", based on how they fit compared to my many pairs of 34" pants. Second, the hip/crotch/torso/upper thigh section of the pants is fairly tight, so you'll want to be prepared for that "yoga pants" look up top. And the legs are VERY wide and flowing. None of this is bad in itself-- this is generally what palazzo pants are like. Just be prepared, and if you don't want that look, these aren't the pants for you. If you are looking for this fit and look, these are a real nice inexpensive option with a little bit of flair. Just know that, unless your inseam is about 35", you'll need to wear some kind of heel with these or they'll drag on the ground.

2 Inch ErgoSoft Natural Latex Foam Mattress Pad Topper, Queen
2 Inch ErgoSoft Natural Latex Foam Mattress Pad Topper, Queen
Offered by Ultimate Sleep
Price: $197.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Stopped me from waking up several times every night, just heavenly, June 14, 2015
You don't realize how much a mattress affects your sleep, and overall health, until you experience the difference yourself. I've always believed that natural latex is the superior mattress material because it lasts for decades with no degradation in function, sleeps nice and cool, is allergen-free (unless you have a latex allergy, obvs), and does not harbor dust mites or encourage penetration of any other allergen. So I have a very costly Talalay latex mattress, which was worth every penny and I wouldn't trade for the world. However, I recently lost some weight, and a funny thing happened -- the formerly comfortable medium- to medium-firm latex mattress suddenly felt too hard. I was waking up many times during the night with numb spots on my hip (I'm a side sleeper). After an exhausting amount of shopping around, I decided to try this topper. BINGO! A comfortable sleep, ALL night, the very first night. I've had it for 6 months now and I'm still comfortable. Bliss. Nothing in this world is worse than sleeping badly, and nothing is better than a good night's sleep. I couldn't be happier with this.

A couple words on packaging and how to deploy this mattress topper. It came very tightly wrapped in plastic. It was a simple matter to cut it out of the plastic, but of course you should be aware that latex is very heavy and the unwrapping is ideally a 2-person job. There was no offensive smell that I noticed -- a bit of a smell, but not too bad, and gone in about 12 hours (I just let it air out on top of my mattress). The mattress fit quite well over my queen bed, though the corners are more square. It's not a big deal to me, because I always use an allergen-proof mattress cover that smoothed over the slight discrepancy. If you care at all about the squareness, it would be a very simple matter to shape the corners with scissors or a mat knife.

Overall, a great, great investment in my overall health. I recommend it to anyone who is a side sleeper like me and wakes up with numb spots.

Hilo Book 1: The Boy Who Crashed to Earth
Hilo Book 1: The Boy Who Crashed to Earth
by Judd Winick
Price: $10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars My son read it 4 times in one day! He says "You should get it!", June 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My 9-year-old son absolutely loved this book! He devoured it, read it 3 more times (within 24 hours!), and set about pestering me to buy the second in the series. He was so disappointed when I told him it hasn't been published yet! He told me the book was really funny and made him laugh a number of times. I asked him what to tell the readers on Amazon and he said I should tell y'all that it's "really great" and "you should get it!" So there you have it.

Player's Kit Guitar Polish and Scratch Remover by Eternashine
Player's Kit Guitar Polish and Scratch Remover by Eternashine
Offered by guitarinsider
Price: $22.95
2 used & new from $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars As they say, "It works if you work it." Put a bit of effort in, get great results., June 14, 2015
I have had great results with this stuff, using it just as directed on my rather grimy '62 SG. I won't lie, it takes some elbow grease. And I also didn't expect it to take out deep scratches, so I wasn't disappointed. But it did a great job restoring the shine and glow to the classic red lacquer finish. I've found it works just as well with any microfiber cloth, by the way -- discovered that when the provided cloth was in the wash. I highly recommend for anyone who can follow the clear instructions included and put a bit of effort into getting the best result.

Alvin And The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked
Alvin And The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars 'cause it succeeds at being silly, ridiculous, and fun for little kids, June 13, 2015
If your kids -- or you -- enjoy innocent and very lighthearted fun, you'll love this movie. My 9-year-old son sure did. The songs range from the pretty-current (ones preteens today would know and love) to previous-generation favorites like the Go-Go's "Vacation." David Cross is great again as the villain, Ian, and the rest of the cast does very good work as well.

This is not art. It's not a deathless piece of cinema. Compared to "Citizen Kane," it deserves maybe one-and-a-half stars. But it is not trying to be "cinema" -- it's trying to be a zany, ridiculous child-friendly film about talking, singing chipmunks. It succeeds perfectly at that, so I have given it 5 stars for doing just what it set out to do. It's good clean fun that my boy really enjoyed. He laughed out loud at many points during the film, and because he loved it, I loved watching it with him.. If you are looking for something silly and predictable that contains nothing scary or "inappropriate," this is a very solid choice.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20