Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now Learn more
Profile for Paige Turner > Reviews

Browse

Paige Turner's Profile

Customer Reviews: 688

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paige Turner "Paige" RSS Feed (Brooklyn)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Audioengine S8 White 8-inch Powered Subwoofer
Audioengine S8 White 8-inch Powered Subwoofer
Offered by ListenUp
Price: $349.00
12 used & new from $296.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Perfection for under a grand., May 12, 2016
PERFECTION!

This sub is the perfect mate to the Audio Engines 5 powered speakers. I have them set up with a Teac turntable, and I think this is the best audio system you can get for around $1000. (about $300 something each for sub, speakers, turntable.)

Let me tell you the most startling thing first: this sub made the treble shine! It actually made the upper and middle range more clear and beautiful. I expected booming bass- but instead EVERYTHING is better. It's like when you put salt on ice cream and it lifts the sweetness. Counterintuitive greatness.

So here is a list of why this sub is so good, in my opinion.

1. Great, clean, sound. Not boomy or rattly.
2. Separate volume control, so you can turn it down to avoid bothering the neighbors, or adjust it to your taste. I like deep, clean sound, but I'm not a basshead, trying to impress anyone. I want the music to sound exactly like it did when recorded
3. Great with a turntable- just lovely round, velvety sounds
4. Not that big. It's a bit heavy, but it's not ridiculous
5. The lift from the floor with the weird pointy legs is really nice for improving the sound and minimizing the boom through the floors, which is important if you live in a high rise like I do
6. Super easy set up- if you have the 5s already set up, all you do is plug the cables from them to the sub.
7. Power outlet in the back! This is great because who needs another plug in their rat's nest of outlets? Simple, plug the powered 5s in the back of the sub, and then plug the sub in to your surge protector. So elegant.
8. Looks- this thing looks a bit better in real life than it does in the photo. It has the same high-end minimalist modern look that the 5s have. With my iMac on my desk, which is a glass top with minimalist design, the whole thing looks space age retro and non-intrusive.
9. quality build- like the 5s, it "seasons" well. It sounds better after a few hours of use
10. Attention to detail- quality packaging, all cables needed are included, no corners cut.

To get better sound than this setup, you need to spend at least 10 times as much, maybe 50 or 100 times as much.

I've had the big flashy expensive Bose systems and they sound like crap compared to this setup. They are all tinny and boomy. This system has perfectly clean highs and round full lows without vibration.

I have records that I have listened to 100 times and I am hearing new things in them with this system.

Only downside is you have to have this box on your floor. But anyway, music is important.

Top Rated Bellemain Premium Quality Stainless Steel Lemon Squeezer with Silicone Handles
Offered by Perella's
Price: $23.95
4 used & new from $12.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, useful gadget., January 17, 2016
Useful! I am not a fan of having too many kitchen gadgets, but this one is really worth having around. It's about the easiest way to squeeze a lemon, lime or even orange (just quarter it first) that I know of. I learned of this little guy during recreational cooking classes at a professional culinary school in NYC.

Good quality construction! They look nice, too. My only complaint is the silicone starts to slip off. I just removed mine, since I really don't care for having them on there anyway.

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back Mens M Graphic Baseball Tee - Fifth Sun
Star Wars Empire Strikes Back Mens M Graphic Baseball Tee - Fifth Sun
Offered by Fifth Sun
Price: $26.00
2 used & new from $16.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Geek cred- great fun., December 28, 2015
Awesome shirt with fake vintage silk screen effect to make it seem like you've had it since the 80s.

This shirt will get you compliments galore - especially from Star Wars geeks who all agree that Empire Strikes Back is the best of the films so far!

The Best Of 25 Years [2 LP]
The Best Of 25 Years [2 LP]
Price: $22.99
15 used & new from $18.49

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY ON VINYL., December 28, 2015
Don't buy this record!

Side 3 is totally messed up and the quality is garbage. Right in the beginning, in one of his best tracks, "Desert Rose," the pressing is terrible and it sounds fuzzy and terrible. I don't know what they did, but this record is so bad I had to throw mine away.

Unfortunately, I bought mine from a bricks & mortar retailer so I couldn't get a refund like Amazon would give, no questions asked.

JUST DON'T BUY THIS ON VINYL.

The Fountainhead
The Fountainhead
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The WhisperSync feature is nearly perfect and the only glitch that occurs is when there ..., December 23, 2015
This review is from: The Fountainhead (Kindle Edition)
For the review:

The ability to read this book across devices is invaluable! I can read this book on my kindle, on my iPhone while waiting in line, on the PC on my desktop, and even listen to the audible version while I stand on a crowded subway. The WhisperSync feature is nearly perfect and the only glitch that occurs is when there is no coverage in the subway. This is a very enjoyable way to read books and the transition between reading and listening is so seamless that it begins to feel very natural. You can read a long book like this much more quickly this way.

The novel is one of ideas, ways of looking at life, and a story of characters who live those ideals.

Quotes:

First, from the introduction:
"This is the motive and purpose of my writing: the projection of an ideal man."

"IT is a sense of enormous expectation, the sense that one's life is important, that great achievements are within one's capacity, and that great things lie ahead."

"The Fountainhead's lasting appeal: it is a confirmation of the spirit of youth, proclaiming man's glory, showing how much is possible."

"It does not matter that only a few in each generation will grasp and achieve the full reality of man's proper stature - and that the rest will betray it. It is those few that move the world and give life its meaning. The rest are no concern of mine, it is not me or The Fountainhead that they will betray: it is their own souls."

First sentence:
"Howard Roark laughed."

"My dear follow, who will let you?" "That's not the point. The point is, who will stop me?"

Roark:
"I can find the joy only if I do my work in the best way possible to me. But the best is a matter of standards - and I set my own standards."
"I don't propose to force or be forced. Those who want me will come to me."
"You've made a mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don’t you know what you want? How can you stand it, not to know? How can you let others decide for you?"
"One can't collaborate on one's own job. I can co-operate, with the workers who erect my buildings. But I can't help them to lay bricks and they can't help me to design the house."
"I don't believe in government housing. I don't want to hear anything about its noble purposes. I don’t think they're noble."
"The only thing that matters, my goal, my reward, my beginning, my end is the work itself. My work done my way."
"When you suspend your faculty of independent judgement, you suspend consciousness."
"Every form of happiness is private. Our greatest moments are personal, self-motivated, not to be touched. The things which are sacred or precious to us are the things we withdraw from promiscuous sharing."

On Dominique Francon and her first relations with Roark:
"the sensation of a defiling pleasure."
"the exaggerated fragility of her body against the sky."
"He stood looking up at her; it was not a glance, but an act of ownership."
"She thought of being broken- not by a man she admired, but by a man she loathed. She let her head fall down on her arm; the thought left her weak with pleasure."
"He did it not as love, but as defilement. And this made her lie still and submit."
"The act of a master taking shameful, contemptuous possession of her was the kind of rapture she had wanted."
"She had found joy in her revulsion, in her terror and his strength. That was the degradation she had wanted."
"Through the fierce sense of humiliation, the words gave her the same kind of pleasure she had felt in his arms."
"when they were in bed together it was - as it had to be, as the nature of the act demanded - an act of violence. It was surrender mad the more complete by the force of their resistance."
She even wrote: "Howard Roark is the Marquis de Sade of Architecture."
"He defeated her by admitting her power."
"She felt no thrill of conquest; she felt herself owned more than ever."

Roark's apartment:
"His new home was one large room in a small, modern apartment house on a quiet street. His room contained a few pieces of simple furniture; it looked clean, vast and empty; one expected to hear echoes from its corners."

Roark's office:
"His staff loved him. They did not realize it and would have been shocked to apply such a term as love to their cold, unapproachable, inhuman boss. But working with him, they knew that he was none of these things, but they could not explain, neither what he was nor what they felt for him."
"He responded only to the essence of a man: to his creative capacity. In this office one had to be competent. But if a man worked well, he needed nothing else to win his employer's benevolence: it was granted, not as a gift, but as a debt. It was granted, not as affection, but as recognition. It bred an immense feeling of self-respect within every man in that office."
"They knew only, in a dim way, that it was not loyalty to him, but to the best within themselves."

Ellsworth Toohey:
"Reason can be fought with reason. How are you going to fight with the unreasonable?"
"To write a good play and to have it praised is nothing. Anybody with talent can do that- and talent is a glandular accident. But to write a piece of crap and have it praised - will, you can't match that."

Gail Wynand:
"The man humbled his own wealth."
"When I look at the ocean, I feel the greatness of man."
"I would give the greatest sunset in the world for one sight of New York's skyline."
"The sky over New York and the will of man, made visible. What other religion do we need? Is it beauty and genius they want to see? Do they seek a sense of the sublime? Let them come to New York, stand on the shore of the Hudson, look and kneel."
"I never meet the men whose work I love. The work means too much to me. I don’t want the men to spoil it. They usually do. They're an anticlimax to their own talent."
"Anger made me work harder."
"The walls of Wynand's office were made of cork and copper paneling and had never borne any pictures."

All-Clad 4508 Stainless Steel Tri-Ply Bonded Dishwasher Safe Stockpot with Lid / Cookware, Silver
Offered by Oak Hills Mercantile
Price: $269.95
20 used & new from $250.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A pot Jony Ive could have designed., December 7, 2015
This pot cost three times as much as the Calpalon that it replaced. Is it three times better? Maybe!

Reasons to spend $300-400 on one pot:
1. It is obviously made of much better materials than cheaper pots.
2. The craftsmanship and build quality is MUCH better.
3. Aestethically (I know, most people don't care) this pot is beautiful- shiny chrome exterior and brushed stainless interior
4. Function: it cooks food well without hot spots in the pot. It heats up fast and evenly.
5. Solid build, but not that heavy. For being a tri-ply construction, this pot is surprisingly light.
6. Cleans easily- you can do a glaze on it and still clean it very easily with Barkeeper's Friend
7. Design - easy to pour the liquid out of the pot due to the shape- I don't know why other pots don't do this.
8. Fit/finish- the lid fits perfectly unlike other cheaper pots.
9. Value - if you take care of this pot, it will outlast cheaper pots, so the actual cost of ownership isn't that high

For me, cooking with a beautiful pot like this makes it much more enjoyable. It's just a great feeling to have something so nice in the kitchen.

It gives me joy knowing that in our disposable, cheap, "made-in-china" society, there is actually a group of people that care about making something functional, beautiful, and high quality. Not only that, there are other people that appreciate and are willing to pay for that degree of care. This gives me hope.

GE Lighting 11303 25-Watt 220-Lumen G16.5 Light Bulb with Candelabra Base, 12-Pack
Price: $21.99
5 used & new from $10.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, warm clear glow!, November 10, 2015
Beautiful!

Nothing like the bright, warm glow of these incandescent bulbs.

I am a LED person for everything possible, but for the bathroom fixture we had similar bulbs but they were some off brand. The off brand was frosted and had the logo and name written on it, which was an ugly effect for the fixture which has no cover over the bulbs.

I replaced them with these beautiful GE lights and I couldn't be happier.
They are bright, but warm and not too bright which I had some reservations about. They look VERY nice and high end.

They are a little bit more expensive, but they are beautiful and we use our bathroom every day so it's worth every penny.

Bad Sex
Bad Sex
by Clancy Martin
Price: $6.22
75 used & new from $5.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Riding off the rails with her..., October 23, 2015
This review is from: Bad Sex (Hardcover)
I loved this novel!

"Bad Sex" is narrated in first person in quick vignette style which reminded me of Italo Calvo. Each chapter was almost just a thought, a memory, a quick situation. We ride along with her, cringing along the way as she makes bad decisions and goes off the rails.

There is very little actual sex in the book. And when it happens, it is so matter of fact, like "we had sex three times."

What there is here, is a fantastic story which makes you feel her and can't help to bring to mind the many bad decisions we all make.

Beautifully written, lovely novel.

StellarLights Headlight And Taillight Combination - ON SALE - Only $5.68 At Checkout!
Offered by Always Quality Plus Products
Price: $9.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Best quality of these little lights., October 17, 2015
Good quality! I've gone through a few of these types of lights. They vary quite a bit in price and quality. These Bright Eyes are the brightest and best quality of these small lights. They are the most durable, with fairly thick "rubber band" to hold them in. The lights are much brighter than others- I'm not sure why.

Worth the money!

Illmatic [Vinyl]
Illmatic [Vinyl]
Price: $16.87
45 used & new from $9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the East, October 17, 2015
This review is from: Illmatic [Vinyl] (Vinyl)
If you can buy only one "old school" hip-hop record on vinyl, this could be the one.

Or, if you are like me and consider NWA/Dr.Dre efforts to be "must-owns" you could say

"If you can buy only one East Coast "old school" hip-hop record on vinyl, this is the one.

What is amazing is although it's true that traditional musical instruments like piano, guitar, and even harmonica gain the most benefit from vinyl, actually hip-hop like this record are also MUCH better on vinyl. You will hear things you never heard before on your CD or MP3s.

Nas "Illmatic" is quite simply the best of the best.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20