Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for D. Schmidt > Reviews

Browse

D. Schmidt's Profile

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Schmidt RSS Feed (Virginia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Kenu Airframe+ | Car Mount for Smartphones and Phablets | Black
Kenu Airframe+ | Car Mount for Smartphones and Phablets | Black
Price: $29.95
6 used & new from $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, October 19, 2014
Solid hold, unique and minimalist design. Awesome for travelling - use in the rental car, and then prop up your phone in the hotel at night for Netflix.

Bourbon Q Pappy's Moonshine Madness
Bourbon Q Pappy's Moonshine Madness
Offered by Eztrade123
Price: $12.95
3 used & new from $12.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Favorite, August 31, 2013
Every single member of my family who has tasted this has loved it. It has a lot of kick! Don't drench your food in it unless you have an iron mouth. A couple drops is all you need to add flavor and heat to anything. We love it on pizza and burgers. Enjoy!

Samsung Chromebook (Wi-Fi, 11.6-Inch) 2012 Model
Samsung Chromebook (Wi-Fi, 11.6-Inch) 2012 Model
60 used & new from $81.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product with managed expectations, November 5, 2012
Just got my Chromebook this afternoon. I've fiddled with it nonstop for about 5 hours and have come away quite pleased. First let's describe what this is: a cheap laptop to browse the web and send a few emails while using a lightweight Linux based, Google developed OS - Chrome OS. Having said that, I sent some emails, I browsed the web non-stop, watched a 1080p video, configured a couple VPNs, connected to 5Ghz 802.11n and did a speed test on my home network, and listened to Pandora nonstop, all while having it unplugged (after a full charge of course) to see how the battery held up. Here's what happened.

Web Browsing - Great experience, web pages loaded fairly quickly and I was able to keep upwards of 7 tabs open in Chrome without many problems. I left Pandora running the entire time I was browsing. This would cause some weird issues where Pandora would stop playing, I would have to click on the Pandora tab and it would reload the whole tab, and then start playing again. I replicated this 3-4 times. I found that closing a couple tabs made Pandora behave a little better. Probably a symptom of having such a resource light laptop, but that's to be expected - especially at this price.

Speakers - The speakers themselves are pretty bad. You can turn them all the way up and just not really think they are turned all the way up. They fire directly into your lap, so the sound is absorbed quite easily by pants or blanket material that is in the way. Having said that, they would be more than adequate to watch a movie in bed or listening to music as long as you aren't looking for a hi fidelity experience.

Battery life - I left it unplugged for about 2.5 hours, listened to music, watched about 5 minutes of a movie file, watched various YouTube clips, did some configurations of the OS itself, and did a couple speed tests, all while web browsing non-stop. Under this pretty intensive work load I was left with 64% battery life left. My calculations tell me this would give me a 6.5 hour battery life. That is exactly what Google and Samsung claim, and I can live with that. Very impressive, especially for being such a light and thin device.

Wifi Speed - I connected to my home 802.11n access point, using the 5Ghz radio, and was able to attain 30+ Mbps download and 20+ Mbps upload speeds using speedtest.net. Pretty great, I don't think the wifi speed will ever be a bottleneck for me.

VPN - I was able to configure multiple VPN connections after a few hiccups. I confirmed these connected were working by checking my IP address location using [...]. Configuration was relatively painless and Chrome OS seems to support OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec + PSK, and L2TP/IPSec + User Certificate options.

User Accounts - The Chromebook supports multiple user accounts, which is cool. However there seems to be some usability issues. I signed in and set up the VPN connections, sync'd my Chrome extensions and messed around. Then I let my wife log in with her account and things got weird. It prompted something about using a different password for her than last time (this was her first time ever logging onto a Chrome OS device). Then I logged her out (it doesn't support account switching) and logged back in under my account, it gave me the same error about using a different password than last time I logged in (it was the same password I used the first time) and then I noticed my VPN connections were gone, and I opened Chrome to find it was syncing my extensions again like I had never done it before. However my background and user icons were what I had set them to earlier. Also, my wife and I both use two factor authentication (TFA) with our Google accounts. Logging in to the Chromebox will prompt you for a TFA code after entering your username and password, however there is no "trust this computer" option as there is with Windows machines and even certain Google applications within Android. This is a convenience vs. security issue, however it should be up to the user whether or not they trust the computer they are signing in to.

Keyboard and Trackpad - Both work just fine, the keyboard is a little small but it is very usable and the trackpad is great. You get used to two finger scrolling in a minute even dragging is easy to do.

Screen - The screen is small, and the resolution isn't great. The viewing angles are also not great. Definitely a big concession to the price.

Charger - The charger has an absurdly small connector. I have personally ruined two laptops because the power connector became loose when connecting. I will definitely have to be careful with this.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. I know that Chrome OS is a work in progress and I look forward to seeing the improvements over time, just like Android, and Chrome, and all the other wonderful things that Google does. I hope Netflix support is added soon (they promise that it is) and that the large influx of Chrome OS users from this devices give Google reason to work even harder on fixing the bugs and adding features. If you know what you are buying, both in the software and hardware, and realize you are paying $250 for it, you will be pleased too.

P.S. I would pay another $50-$100 to add a back-lit keyboard and a better screen. Hopefully there will be some more tiers of Chromebooks coming out soon.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2012 6:54 PM PST

TagsForDroid 5 NFC Tags + 1 NFC Key Chain + Stickers (MIFARE 1K)
TagsForDroid 5 NFC Tags + 1 NFC Key Chain + Stickers (MIFARE 1K)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Yet Tested, October 17, 2012
I just received these in the mail today, however my NFC enabled phone won't arrive until the end of the month. I have to say I'm a little suspicious of the other two reviewers here since they haven't reviewed anything else...so here's a review from a known human customer (just check out my history:)).

Just to give my initial impressions - the tags and keychain look like great quality. The stickers are an awesome touch and I look forward to putting these in my car and around my house. They arrived quickly despite not being Amazon Prime eligible. The free shipping and low cost made this an easy choice for me. If they work as advertised I will update the review and add an additional star.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2012 1:30 PM PST

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
by Jonathan Safran Foer
475 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A Waste Of Time, May 22, 2012
What a waste of time to read. The story is pointless, if it didn't have anything to do with 9/11 there wouldn't be single person talking about this book and a movie would have never been made. The story goes nowhere, it ends with nothing resolved. The characters are all depressing and quirky for quirkiness's sake. The only thing good I can say about it was at least it was short.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, paid for itself, May 2, 2012
I used this to size my Citizen Skyhawk band. A local jeweler was charging me $15 each time they sized it and I could not find a comfortable position. I bought this tool and realized there was a half sized link I could remove and now my watch fits me perfectly. The tool paid for itself already, even if it breaks next time i use it, it was worth it.

EZOPower Blue Flowing Illuminate Light Micro-USB Sync & Charging Data Cable - (Black / Blue) Retail Packaging
Offered by BlueMall

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cable, February 22, 2012
Just got this cable today and I'm posting my initial impressions.

The cable itself is nice quality. It's not top notch, the USB connector fit is about 95%, you can feel that there is some looseness there. I've definitely had cables that had a more solid fit. But overall it still feels like a quality cable.

The LEDs are awesome. They have a dim-dim-bright pulse to them that is cool to watch. I plugged my HTC Thunderbolt into my computer, and also a USB wall adapter. I was pleased to notice that based on the input power, the LEDs will flash at different rates. The 100mA/5V from the computer made it flash slower, and the 500mA/5V from the wall was faster, a cool visual way to indicate that more power was going into my phone at the higher amperage.

The cable itself is rather short, but I understand that more length = more LEDs = more $$$. If you plan on using this at your beside from a low outlet, you might want an extension.

Whenever the Dexim micro-USB cable comes to the US for a reasonable price I plan on getting that one for comparison.

Extra Long Black iPod / iPhone 3G, 3GS, iPhone 4 USB Charge and Sync Cable, More Than Double the Length of the Standard Cord - 2m (6.5ft) Long. UPDATE: NOW FITS IPHONE 4 BUMPER AND ALL OTHER CASES
Offered by LectroLounge
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 4 months, July 17, 2011
Wife used this to charge her Verizon iPhone 4 for 4 months at her bed side. After those 4 months of light use, probably only charging every other day, the wiring nearest to the iPhone connect has started to fray and come apart. I'm ordering her a different brand to replace it.

Update - I contacted the manufacturer and they provided me a replacement at no charge. Nice customer service experience.

Hollywood Racks E3 Express 3-Bike Trunk Mount Rack
Hollywood Racks E3 Express 3-Bike Trunk Mount Rack
Price: $63.99
31 used & new from $50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, July 17, 2011
Was able to transport 2 bikes on my 2011 Sonata without any issues. I definitely do not see how anyone could fit 3 bikes in this without removing pedals and/or wheels. The construction itself is sturdy and it folds up nicely to leave in my trunk. Overall I have very little complaints.

Casio Men's GW7900B-1 G-Shock Black Solar Sport Watch
Casio Men's GW7900B-1 G-Shock Black Solar Sport Watch
Offered by DIP 'N DIVE
Price: $99.00
63 used & new from $94.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Performer, June 3, 2011
I didn't realize the funky wave looking thing on the display was a tide indicator, it also has a moon phase indicator which is pretty cool. The solar and atomic functions both work just fine, my battery indicator hasn't moved from "high" since opening the package yesterday.

Pros - This watch looks great, it's built solidly and works as advertised. The controls are easy to use and well marked. I set up the watch to point out my window just as it tells you in the manual, and it sync'd with the atomic clock around 3am. I kept trying throughout the day to manually sync it, but it kept failing, probably due to my great distance from the transmitter in CO.

Cons - The watch is definitely thick as others have pointed out. It sticks off your wrist quite a bit. It is very light though so not a huge deal. The dark screen with dark letters looks awesome, but it is hard to see in low light w/o pushing the "g" button for illumination. That is just a price to pay for the style I guess.

Other thoughts - Read the manual and everything will go just fine. The watch has a lot of functions but it's not overwhelming if you read through and take the time to learn and play with the watch. Great watch overall.

Update 8/10/2011 - After using the watch for a few months I stopped noticing the dark display, I simply adjusted how I looked at the watch. Also, I no longer set the watch up at night to point out my window, if I leave it on my nightstand or on my wrist it will receive time every 2-10 days on it's own, more than accurate enough for my needs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2011 7:37 PM PDT