Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th
Profile for DWD's Reviews > Reviews

Browse

DWD's Reviews' Profile

Customer Reviews: 1834

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

DWD's Reviews "DWD's Reviews" RSS Feed (Indianapolis, IN)
(VINE VOICE)

Edition: Audio CD
Price: $23.98
141 used & new from $10.63

5.0 out of 5 stars A Review of the Audiobook, April 30, 2016
This fascinating audiobook is actually a collection of articles that Malcolm Gladwell has written over the years. Each story is about 30-45 minutes long and cover a great variety of subjects. Topics include ketchup, mammograms, FBI profilers, pit bulls, menstrual cycles, Ron Popeil (founder of Ronco), the dog whisperer, plagiarism, the Challenger Explosion/risk, home hair coloring products and the opportunities that those products offered for female executives, first impressions/job interviews, homelessness and how to solve it (really!), The Pill, Enron and the importance of having a great teacher in every classroom.

I am a teacher and I was of course interested in his discussion about teachers. What was best was his emphasis on the day-to-day interaction between students and teachers and how one can observe quality education in action. What was worst was the insistence that a standardized test can really identify good teaching. There are so many variables that go into a one time standardized test such as overall climate of the school, the day-to-day mood and health of the students and the teacher, the students' personal lives (at home and at school) that I would compare it to a giant stew rather - and it is hard to figure out what makes a great stew great. Is it the meat, the potatoes, the broth, the temperature it was cooked at, the way the ingredients were cut, and so on.

The article about one of the creators of The Pill was tedious at best. Unfortunately, it comes fairly early and I decided while I was listening to it that if there was another one like this one I was going to bail on the whole audiobook.

Thank goodness I didn't. The rest of the book is really very interesting and provided some good discussion fodder between my daughter and I as we carpooled to school in the morning.

The Enron article was mind-blowing for me. It was a massive scandal when Enron collapsed but the fact that they were doing was literally posted on their website and the IRS had figured it out beforehand (they did nothing because it wasn't illegal, just really, really stupid) makes me wonder about the people who rate stocks and investments.

The article on homelessness hit the listener in the gut in multiple ways. By not dealing with it, we are making it much, much, much more expensive and gumming up the works in other areas, like emergency rooms. But, by dealing with it do we break faith with people who are doing things "the right way" but not having much success.

The book was read by the author. He has a lot of experience being interviewed and participating in panel discussions on TV and radio so it wasn't like he was a complete rookie in front of the microphone. There are times when he has a peculiar way of saying a word but I think it really was an overwhelmingly positive experience having him read the book. His slightly quirky reading style matched his offbeat topics and writing style making the whole experience feel like Gladwell was riding in the backseat of the car telling you all about some topic that he thought was interesting and was sure that you would to.

And, he was almost always right.

Kingdom Come
Kingdom Come
by Mark Waid
Price: $12.19
119 used & new from $7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the feel of the recent Batman v Superman movie, you will likely enjoy this graphic novel., April 22, 2016
This review is from: Kingdom Come (Paperback)
Published in 2008.
Originally published in 1996.

This edition collects the original four volumes of this limited series into one complete volume.

If you liked the feel of the recent Batman v Superman movie, you will likely enjoy this graphic novel. If not, you are probably better off skipping this introspective spectacle.

We start with a world out of control. A new generation of Meta-humans abound. They have the skills of the old Justice League but none of their standards. The good ones still fight with the bad ones but they do it with little regard to the regular people who live all around them. Cars explode, buildings crumble and people get hurt. In a single fight Kansas was obliterated in a massive explosion caused by the death of a nuclear-powered Meta-human.

Where is old Justice League? It has disbanded since Superman retreated from the world and is living on a pretend hologram Kansas farm inside of his Fortress of Solitude. He is sick of watching his regular friends age and die. He is sick of "The Never Ending Battle" - the non-stop parade of criminals and human depravity. But, even a depressed Superman can't just let his second home (Kansas) be nuked without any sort of response.

So, Superman comes back with his old friends to restore order, reign in the new heroes and fight the new enemies. But, things aren't as simple as all of that. Some don't want to submit. Some have to be rounded up and jailed in a special prison to be rehabilitated.

There are questions everywhere.

Will Superman become the world's dictator in order to save the world from itself?

Why is Wonder Woman so fired up to fight everyone?

Why is Batman working with Lex Luthor?

Speaking of Lex, his comments about the need for regular humans to reclaim the planet from the Meta-humans aren't so crazy when you consider the devastation caused by the Meta-humans. And, of course, Lex has a plan.

Brooding and filled with too many characters but also brilliantly conceived. I especially like the way that the story is told through a neutral third party human.

Underground Railroad Official National Park Handbook
Underground Railroad Official National Park Handbook
by Robert Stanton
8 used & new from $2.23

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to the topic of slavery in the United States and the struggle against it., April 22, 2016
The format of this small book (88 pages) is much like a small old-style National Geographic with three wide-ranging informative essays by Larry Gara, Brenda E. Stevenson and C. Peter Ripley. The pictures are excellent in that they are reproduced wonderfully and well-shot.
Most importantly, these three essays are an excellent introduction to the topics of slavery, the slave trade (not just to the United States but also to the Caribbean and Brazil) and the contradictions of some of the Founding Fathers fighting for their personal freedom while owning other people.

But, the heart of the book is the fight against slavery - both political and practical. After all, it is one thing to say you are against slavery and it quite another to help a runaway slave that comes to your door and help her move on to another safe place.

The book documents the different strains of Abolitionism (Do you help fund the fight in Kansas? Do you lobby Congress? Do you advocate for secession from the slave states?) and the Southern responses to them as well as telling a good number of individual stories of escaping slaves.

Really, the only complaint that I have is the book's treatment of the Fugitive Slave Law of 1850. It assumes that the reader is familiar with the law and how radical of a change it was in federal policy towards runaway slaves. On the whole, it is a great introduction to the topic of slavery in the United States and the struggle against it.

Trophy Hunt (A Joe Pickett Novel Book 4)
Trophy Hunt (A Joe Pickett Novel Book 4)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This is not the best in the series, but it has its moments., April 21, 2016
I am a serious fan of C.J. Box, having been introduced to him by a person who left a suggestion on one on my reviews on Amazon.com. Since then I have read most of his books in the order that I have found them - which is no order at all. So, this is probably my 15th or 16th book by C.J. Box but it is only now that I am getting around to #4 in the Joe Pickett series.

This is a weird one.

If you like to watch "news of the weird" type of stuff than you are probably familiar of the urban legend about cattle mutilations. These stories suggest that aliens are picking up cattle, performing surgeries on them and then leaving their mutilated bodies scattered across the countryside.

In Trophy Hunt, farm animals and wild animals are being mutilated. Their faces and genitals are being cut away with precise cuts so Game Warden Joe Pickett knows that they are not the result of animal attacks - at least not anything he's used to. When men are killed and mutilated as well Joe is appointed to a task force but even Joe cannot seriously entertain the suggestion that alien spaceships are involved...

Despite the weirdness, it is always good to check in with Joe Pickett and his family. This is not the best in the series, but it has its moments. Those moments and these characters makes for a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

Onedayshop® FS TR90 Super Lightweight Unbreakable UV400 Bicycle Protection Sunglasses (White)
Offered by Onedayshop
Price: $23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pair of sunglasses. Great for sports, or for watching sports., April 17, 2016
These lightweight sunglasses are designed for bicycle riders in that the lenses extend around the eye to keep the wind out of your eyes while you are rolling down the road.

Now, my bike riding days are long behind me but these glasses fit the bill on a windy day just as well as they would on a bicycle, I also prefer to have my windows down in my car over turning on the air conditioning so these glasses would be perfect in the car as well. On top of that, they fit snugly (but not too tight) and they are very lightweight.

The seller claims that they are 20 times less likely to break than normal glasses. I have no idea if that is true (sorry, I didn't want to potentially tear up a great pair of sunglasses by pounding on them with a hammer).

They come with a zippered clam shell glasses case and a special cloth to clean the lenses.

KONA'S CHIPS® Liver Licks; Liver Dog Treats, Dog Treats Made In USA ONLY, Healthy & Safe Treats For Your Dog, liver treats for dogs 1 lb Bag
Offered by KONA'S CHIPS
Price: $16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Dog loves them!, April 17, 2016
My dog absolutely loved these treats but that was no surprise to me because she loves just about everything that looks like food - even things that don't look like food.

They are chewy and crumbly. They are not hard like a biscuit, but not chewy like some dog treats. They don't have a particularly strong smell and you get about 70 in a bag. Not cheap but not outrageous, either.

You could easily break them into smaller pieces if you are training your dog and want to use them to reinforce the learning.

Note: I received a substantial discount towards the purchase of this product in exchange for an honest review.

South Main Hardware 848100 100-Pack 4 Inch Cable Ties, Black 100-Pack, 18-Lb Test, Small, Black Uv
Price: $5.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, good quality, basic zip ties,, April 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What can you say?

These are nice, good quality, basic zip ties,

You use them to get your computer/audio/video wiring under control normally but I have used them for other things like tying down mailbox covers and just two weeks ago I used one to fix my toilet (I mended a broken plastic chain with a new link made out of a zip tie).

Indianapolis: Then and Now®
Indianapolis: Then and Now®
by Nelson Price
Price: $16.92
43 used & new from $8.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, April 16, 2016
This book is part of a series that looks at cities all over the country. While this book would most likely be of limited interest to non-Hoosiers, I found this book to be riveting. I've lived in Indy for 15 years now and I often visited the city as a child.

The format of the book is side by side photos of an Indianapolis address in the past (from 60 - 150 years ago) and a current photo of the same building. Sometimes the same buildings and landmarks are still in places, other times there are whole new buildings and landscapes.

Most striking are the changes in the area around Indy's much lauded canal walk, White River State Park and IUPUI. I was also surprised that the Indianapolis Star building is actually quite old - two beautiful buildings with character were merged into one building and then covered with one of the most boring brick facades I have ever seen on any building anywhere. Too bad.

Strongly recommended for residents of Indianapolis as a unique gift.

Atalanta® 3.5mm Audio Stereo Y Splitter Cable 3.5mm Male to 2 Port 3.5mm Female for Earphone and Headset Splitter Adapter, Compatible with iPhone, Samsung, LG Smartphones, Tablets, MP3 Players
Offered by AtalantaTech
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only does it look sharp, it works perfectly., April 10, 2016
Audio splitters are amazingly useful if you are traveling with another person and watching video or listening to audio. You might think you can get by with a simple pair of earbuds shared between two people, but an audio splitter gives you both the ability to immerse yourself in the movie or song with both ear.

I plan on using it in my classroom when my students work in stations and listen to audio activities or watch a short online video.

Not only does it look sharp, it works perfectly.

Note: I received a discounted sample in order to write an honest review.
Comment Comment | Permalink

iSens beevo IS1 Tangle Free In-ear Wired Earphone Earbud Stereo Bass Workout Headphone with Inline Microphone(No Volume Control) for Mp3 Players, Android/iOS Smartphones, Laptops, Tablets.(White)
Offered by iSens
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Long-Term Review. Result? Fantastic!, April 9, 2016
I teach high school and all day long I see students wad up their ear buds and shove them in their pocket. Later, they reach into their pocket and fish out some part of the earbuds and then yank them out. They also let the ear buds bounce along the ground behind them while they are walking around staring at their text messages (Yes, those $75+ Beats by Dre earbuds you bought your kid last month just might be bouncing down the stairs at school!). Knowing that this is fairly typical behavior and not good for the long-term well-being of a set of ear buds, the iSens beevo 1S1 is an affordable alternative to most name brand sets.

Most importantly, these ear buds produce quality music. No matter how affordable, I would have to count down if the performance was not there. This is not a case of "These headphones produce good music considering how affordable they are." No, they produce good music. Period.

I have been using them for the last three months to listen to a variety of sound such as music, streaming video, and audiobooks. They have a rich sound. The bass is very strong, but not overwhelming. The highs are strong, but the music does not sound tinny. They can easily get loud enough to completely drown out the outside world if you choose to do so. Entry level personal headsets have gotten so much better in the last few years and this set demonstrates that well. I have tested a lot of headphones in the last couple of years and this is one of my favorite sets.

These are extremely light weight and very comfortable.

The cord is a tangle free and when I say that I don't just mean that it is designed to be tangle free, I mean that unless you set out to make a mess of this cord it is tangle free.

The phone feature is excellent as well. I have used this to talk on the phone as a "hands free device" while driving - I just plug in one of the earbuds and I am good to go. I have not used the headset's phone features (the buttons on the little box on the wire). When I use a set of headphones to talk on my phone I always use the phone itself rather than the headset features to interact (meaning I answer using the phone and hang up using the phone, etc.) because I just find it easier than blindly pushing buttons on a device hanging around my neck.

The package comes with one plug and play set of ear buds and three different sizes of ear tips and a set of instructions. I used the small box it came in as a storage container in my briefcase rather than sticking it in my pocket (go back to the first paragraph to see why).

Note: I received a free set of these ear buds in order to make a fair and honest review after testing them out. In this case I used them for three months until I reluctantly gave the set one of my own children to use after she damaged a set of ear buds - hopefully not with the behaviors I described above in the first paragraph.
Comment Comment | Permalink