Profile for For Real > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 331

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

For Real "HAND" RSS Feed (NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Chess Player's Bible: Illustrated Strategies for Staying Ahead of the Game
The Chess Player's Bible: Illustrated Strategies for Staying Ahead of the Game
by James Eade
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $18.39
74 used & new from $0.22

2.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully produced book that does not explain things clearly, July 2, 2014
My kids and I saw this book at the local store and we liked the illustrations and the bounding so we bought it. But upon returning home and reading it closely we discovered it was neither good for a real beginner or someone looking to develop skills. And the title is really misleading, because it's actually geared toward beginners, not a comprehensive guide to chess playing. My kids are frustrated because the sample games are not explained clearly. For example, when faced with controlling center or capturing an enemy pawn, why would an experienced player usually choose the former move? What's the advantage of not capturing the enemy's pawn while I can still control the center with my knight and bishop? A lot of continuation moves just don't make sense because the author does not explain anything in depth. I assume there's always a good reason behind the illustrated moves, but not being an experienced player I'm having a hard time figuring them out so I can explain them to my kids. So I'm frustrated, too!

Looney Tunes: Platinum Collection, Vol. 1
Looney Tunes: Platinum Collection, Vol. 1
DVD ~ Looney Tunes
Price: $21.95
43 used & new from $14.97

2.0 out of 5 stars Not happy with DVD edition, or Warner company, June 28, 2014
First of all, while it doesn't surprise me given this coming from a company called Warner, they make different kinds of collections with lots of overlaps, so they can milk the LT and MM cash cows as much as possible. This is the third collection we've bought, being suckers for BB and DD that we are. The problem was this volume contained some classic BB shorts like those with Marvin the Martian that were not included previously. According to Wikipedia 7 shorts here had not been included before. I don't like the DVD edition of this volume, as the case doesn't even come with a sleeve listing the episodes. Just two discs that look poorly manufactured. So far both seem to play fine but honestly my kids and I haven't watched all the shorts since most of them are on the other collections especially the Golden Collection already.

Nintendo Wii U 32GB Mario & Luigi Deluxe Set
Nintendo Wii U 32GB Mario & Luigi Deluxe Set
Offered by Jen & Joe's Tech Business
Price: $312.00
147 used & new from $249.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great set, June 27, 2014
We already own the basic set when it first came out, but my kids love the Wii U so much they want another one so they can play the games while visiting the grandparents, too. So we bought this deluxe set, which seems to be the default official set at this time as of June 2014. The MRSP is actually $299.99, yes, that's the price for the Mario and Luigi deluxe set, which contains two games: Super Mario Bros U and Super Luigi U. We already had both games but since this is the default set anyway, it's totally acceptable. The deluxe set, compared to the basic set which may no longer be sold but I'm not sure... contains more accessories like stands, but more importantly gives the user discounts on all eShop downloads. We're not into digital downloads, here or on our PS4, because you can't take the games with you easily, but it may matter to people who download a lot. I do wish the deluxe set came in white like Basic Set because the black chassis looks ugly.

iOS Game Development Cookbook
iOS Game Development Cookbook
by Paris Buttfield-Addison
Price: $33.47
43 used & new from $27.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good code examples if you know what your looking for, June 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm still new to iOS development, so I try to learn by studying code examples. This book contains tons of such examples. The first chapter covers game layout and was an eye opener for me. Then it moves on to user interface and storage. Chapter 6 deals with 2D graphics and sprites, Chapter 7 physics, and Chapters 8-to-10 3D graphics. Chapter 11 is interesting but also really hard for me to understand, as it discusses AI implementations. Finally you get chapters on networking and social media, controllers and external screens, and performance and debugging. Each chapter has sections in the form of problem-solution pairs. For instance, section 6.2 "creating a sprite kit view" presents a problem, "You want to display a Sprite Kit view, which you can use for showing 2D graphics." Then the solution, followed by a brief discussion of the code. This works well when you know what you're looking for as well as when you have a good grasp of the underlying concepts. I wish the discussions had been more thorough, but I understand this book is aimed at people already familiar with iOS development in general.

La Crosse Technology Digital Wall Clock
La Crosse Technology Digital Wall Clock
Price: $14.97
3 used & new from $13.34

3.0 out of 5 stars Small as a wall clock, not so great viewing angles, a little too thick, June 19, 2014
The high ratings here do not really reflect the quality of this product, even at this price. We're talking 2014, and a simple digital clock with a non-backlit LCD is so 80s technology. I bought it to use as a wall clock, but it has three shortcomings: No. 1, a little too small, maybe by 20%; No. 2, if the bottom of the clock is above the top of the head of an average American woman, you can barely see the digits due to poor viewing angle; No. 3, the product picture does not show this but it's actually quite a thick. More likely it was designed as a desk clock, as it does have an alarm function but you cannot access the buttons when it's hanging on a wall. I'm not really happy with this as a wall clock. Like I mentioned, it's not backlit. Does not even have a button to turn on a sidelight.

Sanei Animal Crossing New Leaf Doll Kapp'n/Kappei 8.5" Plush
Sanei Animal Crossing New Leaf Doll Kapp'n/Kappei 8.5" Plush
Price: $18.67
50 used & new from $14.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Isn't Kapp'n a frog?, June 19, 2014
This is an okay plush. The funny part is this plush Kapp'n has a turtle shell on his back. I'm pretty sure he is a frog. All his family members look froggy, too. So what's up with the shell? My kids agree with my assessment. The quality is good, as it's made exclusively for the Japan market.

Belkin FormFit Arrow Cover/Case for Apple iPad mini, Orchid (F7N107B1C01)
Belkin FormFit Arrow Cover/Case for Apple iPad mini, Orchid (F7N107B1C01)
Price: $34.66

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as thin as description says, not good as stand, damaged my iPad mini, June 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I requested this to review because the description said it was the thinnest this company has made for an iPad cover. When I received it and unboxed it, I was immediately disappointed, because it's not really that thin. It also feels a little hefty in the hand, not heavy, but you feel the weight it's going to add to your gorgeous iPad mini. The cover is purple color. It had a funny smell upon unpacking but after I aired it outside for half a day, the odor largely went away, but if I smell carefully these days I can still smell the chemical-like odor. It fits the iPad mini well, but so do all the cases sold at the Apple Store, many of which seem more stylish or provide more useful features.

The biggest problem I see, however, pertains to the way it works as a stand. To use this case as a stand, you must take the left side of your iPad mini out of the locking tab each and every time. Needless to say, when you're done, you must press the left side of your iPad mini back into the tab so you can close the cover. The locking tab is made of semi-hard plastic. I wonder how many times an iPad can stand the strong friction this plastic causes. It's a terrible design. The tab should have been the part that pivots, not forcing the user to forcefully take out the iPad and forcefully reseating the iPad. UPDATE: after posting the review I finally decided to go back to my old case. It was hard to remove my iPad mini. To my dismay, when I removed the top from this bad cover, the small plastic tab next to the power button scratched my iPad mini!! This is just plain unforgivable! I recommend you stay away from this case.

Ademco Honeywell Keypad 6150RF
Ademco Honeywell Keypad 6150RF
Offered by danweiss
Price: $49.95
12 used & new from $25.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Mysterious error codes, May 26, 2014
This review is from: Ademco Honeywell Keypad 6150RF
My alarm guy replaced my old Ademco alarm with this one, but this new model still uses mysterious alarm codes. It's been giving me an error code for a zone I do not even have, and there's no way for me to disable the system... it's been a pain this whole long weekend. Now I'm getting an FC error code. It's 2014, they should really give customers systems that human customers can understand. How can they expect us to get professional help 24x7? It's been a nightmare since we had this installed Friday.

Weigh Masters ProChef Kitchen Scale (Silver)
Weigh Masters ProChef Kitchen Scale (Silver)
Offered by Broward deal
Price: $53.79
5 used & new from $4.25

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA, May 24, 2014
I received this and upon installing the two AAA batteries, it showed the LCD screen was defective. A 0 was displayed as L. More troublesomely, it kept showing random numbers, and could not be turned off! This scale looks identical to a few other brands' scales, so they must be manufactured at the same factory.

The Little Book That Makes You Rich: A Proven Market-Beating Formula for Growth Investing
by Louis Navellier
Price: $14.35
185 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound fundamental strategies, too much marketing hype, May 22, 2014
This book presents some sound fundamental strategies for analyzing stocks for long-term growth gains. The author talks about his fundamentals cum quantitative methodology. The latter part involves something called alpha to standard deviation ratio. For the fundamentals part, you're supposed to use a site like Yahoo to come up with a short list, and then check each of your candidates on his free site for quantitative and overall scores. I've tried a few of my stocks and they all ranked A (good news) but so far this year they have generated behind the market returns (bad news). I want to emphasize I found the analysis part easy to read and of sound advice.

The biggest problem with this book, and investment strategy books in general, is it combines marketing hype for the author's newsletter service and omission of losing trades. I don't think he once mentions a losing trade. I've only read a couple of trading books where the author admits to a few mistakes and actually shows us what happened. Here Navallier just says how great his picks have been. There's also no disclosure on the performance of his money management fund, just how great his newsletters have been doing. He mentions he's super-rich, owning several jets. I don't know if he got rich by way of marketing himself or by way of actually making money in the stock market. This does not distract from the basic soundness of his approach, just makes him sound less credible and makes you wonder if his free website might not a veiled way of pushing certain stocks that he owns, however large these stocks like AAPL may be...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20