Profile for Dick Johnson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 862

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dick Johnson RSS Feed (Texas USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bora Drill Press Vise Bora 551027 - The Sturdy, Quick Release Clamp that Attaches to Your Drill Press Table and Holds Your Material Fast for Easy Drilling
Price: $31.30
3 used & new from $27.23

4.0 out of 5 stars It works well., May 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This has some features to make it easy to use. The handle not only twists in line with the screw, but can be pulled out and turned 90 degrees to make it into a crank. There is a quick release button that allows the movable vise face to be tightened or removed without having to twist/crank it to the desired position.

The unit is heavy duty and does a good job of holding items being drilled. The side slots make it usable for a variety of drill presses. I have a shop-built drill press table top with T-tracks and I'll make an adapter to be able to use this without having to remove my top each time.

It weighs 3.5 pounds and the jaws will open right at 4 inches. While this is marketed as a drill press vise, it is also useful as a small vise for other things, such as being a "third hand" to hold things during assembly.

I have a drill press vise that I've used for more than a decade that isn't as hefty as this one, and I'll find uses for both.

Pirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship
Pirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship
by Robert Kurson
Price: $19.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Has anyone seen a pirate ship around here?, May 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Twenty-four feet of water. How can a ship hide in that depth? Quite easily as it turns out. We get to travel with some guys that are so far from the ordinary that they are almost inhuman. Of course, it take a particular type of person to be able to dive to wrecks and have the courage to go to areas that are seemingly impossible to get to. (I am not one of "those" people, but I do enjoy reading about them.)

It seems that a seventeenth century pirate left his ship laying around and our main characters are going to find it. They have some clues as to where to look - perhaps too many clues. All they have to do is figure out which clues will lead them to the Golden Fleece.

This is part history book, part biography of the main characters, John Chatterton and John Materra, part adventure tale. The author, Robert Kurson, has taken all of that and turned it into a very readable story of the hunt for a real pirate ship.

As with all such books, the real world intrudes way too often. Having to deal with claim jumpers and bureaucrats, John, John and their team try to tease out details from historical documents. Most people are unaware of the amount of research that is necessary to have any chance of success in finding sunken ships no matter the amount of water that covers them.

If the image of finding the Golden Fleece causes you to daydream even just a little, then grab this one.

Bora 503110 11 Pocket Tool Roll Leather and Nylon Construction with hook and loop closure Tie Strap
Price: $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive., May 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a heavy duty roll-up for a selection of tools. The inside backing is leather and the rest is some man-made material that seems quite strong. It is deceptively heavy and, when new, quite stiff. There is a strong hook and eye closing strap. There are eleven pockets of three sizes with large grommets at two of the corners for hanging.

What it is: a holder for various tools that are relatively thin. I did manage to fit in a tack hammer, a pair of slip-joint pliers, a pair of needle nose pliers, 4 screwdrivers, a four-in-one file, some pencils and I left a few pockets empty. I did try a large pair of vise-grips using one pocket for each handle and it did work.

What it isn't: a holder for all your tools. However, if tightly rolled, a few larger tools, such as a claw hammer could be carried in the center.

This is perfect for a selection of often used tools and is strong enough for job site use or as an "inside the house" tool bag to grab for those repairs that don't require larger tools.

Hefty Drawstring Multipurpose Trash Bags, 30 Gallon, 10 Count
Hefty Drawstring Multipurpose Trash Bags, 30 Gallon, 10 Count
Price: $6.29
5 used & new from $3.65

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new or exceptional here., May 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We've used only 39 gallon bags for years, so, when I took one of these out of the box I was wondering where the rest of the bag was. Thus, we only have those to compare with and have measured the amount of stuff we've loaded into them. As a result of getting this year's garden set up, we need to get rid of some of last year's leftovers.

Both bags held up to a comparable load of the same volume, but the others are nearly a third larger when lighter stuff is being picked up. Where we live, it is required that the provided large trash containers be used except for two larger item pick-ups a month. So, any bags we use are for the convenience of getting the trash into the containers without having to clean them after each use.

The cost of the store brand that we have on hand (39 gallon) are 1.1 mils thick and are about a quarter each. These Hefty bags (30 gallon) are thinner at 1.05 mils and are over twice as expensive (current Amazon price).

Sorry, Hefty, we'll use these ten bags and go back to what we have been using.

WORKSHOP Wet/Dry Vacs PP0100VA Wet Dry Shop Vacuum Powerhead
WORKSHOP Wet/Dry Vacs PP0100VA Wet Dry Shop Vacuum Powerhead
Price: $29.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Good niche product., May 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The description sounds so good at first reading. A shop vac that fits on a 5 gallon bucket. What an idea. And, hooking the hose to the outflow side turns it into a blower. Cool. Further, it does wet and dry. All you need is the unit and the bucket that you provide. Instead of having to have room for a shop vac you only need room for this unit and a 5 gallon bucket.

Does it work as advertised? Yes it does. It picks up dry stuff. It picks up water (without the paper filter attached). It blows stuff around.

If you are already storing a 5 gallon bucket, then this may be just right for you. If you have the room for a shop vac with a tub, wheels and attachments, then I'd recommend you go that route. Many of them have the blower feature. I will use this one as a small blower for sawdust in the shop.

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street
The Watchmaker of Filigree Street
by Natasha Pulley
Price: $19.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Part mystery. Part steampunk., May 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We spend some time with some people in the late nineteenth century. We also spend some time wondering about clockwork devices (including watches, hence the title). In particular, we spend time around some Mori made watches. Perhaps there is a relationship between the watches and the world around them. Perhaps it is coincidence. That's why we read the book.

The combination of characters and how they interact with one another stretches one's belief quite often. Otherwise very bright people act stupidly when it is required to move the story along. In a book with a ton of possible coincidences, there were too many coincidences that were not related to those other possible ones.

I had a problem in getting through the book. I enjoyed the story while I was reading it, but, once I put it aside to do other real world things, I was not all that interested in picking it up again. Then, once I did re-start in reading it, it was interesting - yep, until I put it down. Thus, it took me way, way, way too long to get through this. I think the problem was that in a book of constant action it seemed to take to long to get anywhere.

If you like the Victorian era with some new toys added, then this is worth your time.

Contigo Glacier Stainless Water Bottle, 20-Ounce, Monaco
Contigo Glacier Stainless Water Bottle, 20-Ounce, Monaco
Price: $16.99
3 used & new from $13.17

4.0 out of 5 stars It does keep water cold., May 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This 20oz bottle fits comfortably in the hand, though, unlike some other bottles of theirs, there is no rubber-type grip area on this one. It is nearly 10 inches tall and around three inches in diameter. When filled, it weighs about 26 ounces. So, this is a sizable bottle.

The lid unscrews for easy filling with ice and water. When on, the lid has a flip-up ring for carrying, though it is hard plastic and the edges are not rounded. When filled, this carrying feature is pretty uncomfortable. It seems that it was included as a feature without actually being tested by real people.

There is a push button/lock feature that controls the upper part of the lid itself. It flips up to get to the centered drinking spout. It works better than I thought it would at first glance. However, if used while walking, driving, biking or anything that requires forward vision, the whole bottle has to be rotated so the flipped up lid is to the side. This makes it more difficult to use one handed.

Overall, it is very good looking and does work at keeping things cold for longer than I can imagine needing to do so under most conditions. We tested their claim that it would keep things cold for 18 hours, and (Ta-da!) after that amount of time there was still ice in the water.

If the carrying ring could be made more comfortable and the one-handed use while doing something that requires seeing could be better designed, this would be great. As is, it is better designed for the passenger rather than the driver.

Five stars for keeping things cold and the large opening for filling. Two stars for the uncomfortable handle. Throw in four stars for the snap up lid for drinking but fewer stars for the vision blocking element of it and you end up with about four stars. Your total would depend on which features are more important for you.

As for me, I picked this item to use in the car, but now I won't due to the items I've mentioned, so I won't bother with it. My wife, on the other hand, used it in the yard and loved it, though she, too, doesn't like the carrying ring. So, I guess it depends on the old who, what, where thing.

Miracle-Gro 100126 Nature's Care Organic Blood Meal  3 lb.
Miracle-Gro 100126 Nature's Care Organic Blood Meal 3 lb.
Price: $8.79
11 used & new from $6.31

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing information from Miracle-Gro., May 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a 12% nitrogen product to be added periodically to your flowers and vegetables. The directions call for 1 cup for each 20 square feet of garden area. The package also says "For smaller areas 1 tbsp. will do." What the package doesn't say is whether those "smaller areas" amount to a flower pot, a large pot, or anything else. In fact, the package is very, very silent on a lot of things and is disappointing to find on a Miracle-Gro product.

Like any other fertilizer, this is just mixed into the soil and is to be applied every two months during the growing season. Nitrogen is needed for plant growth, but too much will burn the plant and cause it to yellow. Once again, the lack of better information on the package can cause serious disappointment in its use.

We do container gardening. It is interesting that the regular Miracle-Gro blood meal (also 12% nitrogen and labeled as "organic") says to not use it in containers. Per their site: "Where Not to Use: Not for use with container plants." However, their packaging for that product does not have that information. Their site does not explain why they have that warning.

And, to add further confusion and disappointment, this Nature's-Care blood meal doesn't contain that information on the package or web site. This makes me wonder whether I have been overly trusting in their products by only reading the packaging.

Thus, we are trying this on a limited basis with a few containers of plants to see how it works, and we're not sure that we will be able to tell anything. However, we are not going to add it to our couple of dozens of vegetable containers.

Three stars since it is a usable product in gardens and the brand is usually among the best on the market. The lack of more stars is because of their lack of information and inconsistency in what information they do provide.

Logitech Keys-To-Go Ultra-Portable Bluetooth Keyboard for Android and Windows, Black (920-007181)
Price: $69.99
4 used & new from $69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice - and it works., April 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This just felt "right" when I removed it from the box. Once I found my magnifying glass and could see the details of the "instruction" sheet, it paired right away with my Kindle Fire.

Good:
The "click" of the keys is easy but gives positive feedback that the press "took". The keyboard is very thin. It is full featured for Android and Windows (I only tested with Android devices, though). It is large enough for me to touch type if I pay attention to keeping my hands very still. I wear a size large men's gloves and, frankly, I was surprised that touch-typing was going to be so easy.

The included device stand is to be used to prop up the tablet/phone while the keyboard is in use. It will slide onto the end of the keyboard for transporting, but is bound to be lost if it is being frequently carried around.

Not so good:
The stand will not work for a phone or tablet that is in a case. If I have to remove things from cases and find a place to put them while using the keyboard, then it will not be used and the feature is worthless. Carrying this around is a pain unless you have a dedicated area in a pack for it. The keyboard, stand, and USB charging cable best fit back into the Logitech display box and putting it into a backpack.

Overall:
I have a another Bluetooth keyboard and this feels the best in use, though neither is really all that conveniently used in public. The inconvenience and tablet/phone case issue means that I won't use it as often as I had anticipated. For those who don't mind those limitations, this is a very nice portable keyboard that works very well.

Medline VEN6025 Venom Steel Latex Gloves, Splash Protection, Blue (Pack of 30)
Medline VEN6025 Venom Steel Latex Gloves, Splash Protection, Blue (Pack of 30)
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thick and protect the wrist., April 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have used the Medline VEN6045 Venom Steel Premium Gloves and have been very pleased with their strength and feel. But, they are not overly long. The Splash Protection variety, however, does add that length. They come about three inches beyond my wrist bone. That extra amount keeps normal splashes from going down into the glove, and garden soil from getting caught up as well.

These come in one size and are labeled "One Size Fits Most". That "Most" means those with fairly large hands. I wear a large to extra large in regular gloves. These are a little sloppy on my hands. They will still work well, but they are larger than I was expecting.

I tested these in my workshop, garden and kitchen. They are smooth, but not slick. They do grip whether wet or dry and do reasonably well when covered with moist dirt. The shop test for rubber-type gloves is sanding - and these hold up well to the gripping and use of various grits of sandpaper. (I react to some types of wood, so this is a big plus.) I tried various normal garden duties and they worked fine, plus they do better than other of this type around rose bushes. That extra thickness, along with the added length, really helps with those stickers (though the larger ones will still get through). In the kitchen, these work well. Though not as long as some, they did well with the dishes. Also, they held up to scouring powder and pumice products.

What we have here is another very good product. These will be helpful for most household and yard duties in addition to commercial use.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20