Profile for Dick Johnson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 780

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dick Johnson RSS Feed (Texas USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bathing the Lion
Bathing the Lion
by Jonathan Carroll
Price: $16.43

4.0 out of 5 stars Mystery? Science Fiction? Both?, September 26, 2014
This review is from: Bathing the Lion (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having read at least half-a-dozen of Carroll's books, I've learned to have no expectations about what will come next. "Bathing the Lion" was like nothing I would or could have expected from him. And, frankly, I'm not sure just how much I liked it. I really liked parts of it. Other parts, well, not so much so. Parts of it seemed to go on forever without actually going on. Other parts were rushed.

I'm always leery when a publisher starts a book's blurb with "masterpiece". Isn't that a label that should come with time based on reactions from lots and lots of people who have read it? Too much hype quickly becomes too much. And, while I liked the book, I wouldn't call it a "masterpiece". I don't know whether he had just read a Murakami or Pynchon and wanted to write something similar or whether he perhaps had a dream and this was how he remembered it.

And, of course, dreams is what this book is all about. The book description tells us that much, but is also misleading as to when the dreamers catch on to what is happening or had happened. Frankly, I didn't particularly care for any of the two legged characters. There wasn't a one of them that I would like to meet. But, I don't have to like them in order to like the book.

If you enjoy books that are hard to classify and take some work to understand, then this will be worth your while. If the world of dreams and/or science fiction isn't of interest to you, then you might want to skip this one. But, don't worry, he'll write something different next time.

Farberware New Traditions Speckled Aluminum Nonstick 12-Quart Covered Stockpot, Red with Black Interior
Price: $39.99
7 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great soup pot., September 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love soup. There, I've said it publicly (though not for the first time). I am not big on fancy soups or heavy soups or soups that try to use everything grown, swimming, grazing or hunting. I like good old vegetable beef soup. My wife also loves soup, though she likes not only the veggie beef, but also the fancier ones.

We'll use whatever fresh veggies we have in the garden or available depending on season. We'll use a variety of cuts of meat depending on what's on sale. And, if I'm cooking, I'll cook it until I can't wait any longer to dig in. With that as my timer, I've never had a pot of soup get overcooked, though I've had to leave a few cooking for a while longer. My wife is more a stickler for things being properly timed.

Enter the Farberware 12 quart stockpot. We have a set of Farberware pots, pans and skillets and really like their weight and how evenly things cook in them. This pot is no exception. The non-stick surface is uniform and cleans easily. The size of the pot lets you make a big quantity of whatever you are cooking (soup?) and still have room to stir without splashing out unless you go overboard with the quantity. The lit fits nicely and does not have a vent hole, so all the goodies stay inside.

It is heavy enough to feel like it will stand up to a lot of use without being too heavy to maneuver on the stove. Of course, when full, it is like any other pot of this size - it needs to be handled carefully.

We really like having this in our arsenal of pots and it will see a lot of use as the weather cools.

Crest Sensi-Stop Strips 6 Treatments
Crest Sensi-Stop Strips 6 Treatments
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped for a while., September 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife has some sensitivity and tried this to get some relief. The whole process is pretty simple and just requires applying it to the sensitive area and leaving it on for 30 minutes. The instructions tell you to no eat, rinse or brush for 30 minutes after removing the strip from your mouth. If you don't get results from that, then wait a day and try it again. The package comes with six strips.

Wy wife said she got "some" relief after the first application and then tried another a week later when the area was bothering her again. That has helped some more. Then several days later she used another. Perhaps by the time she has used all six strips ther will be some longer benefit. Some help, even if for a short time, is good.

Since pain and what it takes to relieve it is seemingly different for everyone, the only way of knowing what will help is to try different things. This could be of help.

FoodSaver FM2100-000 Vacuum Sealing System
FoodSaver FM2100-000 Vacuum Sealing System
Price: $120.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use., September 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Even though our kitchen is full of convenience items, we have never owned one of these suffocate 'em and bag 'em devices. In fact, we've never seen one in action other than on the tube, and we never knew how much of that was tricked up for sales.

Well, now we know, at least for this one, that it wasn't a magic act at all. Uh, maybe some is still magic since I can't see how the innards of this is doing what it does. It's kind of like that disappearing girl behind the curtain.

After studying the well written manual (Gasp!) and looking over the equipment, using this was a breeze. We had waited to buy some things on sale until this arrived and the timing was perfect. Fresh meat at a reasonable price, in today's world, ready to be bagged and frozen.

We followed the instructions by putting the meat in the freezer for a couple of hours before doing the bagging. We used the roll since the steaks were of different sizes and the trick there is cutting the edges straight.

This operates quickly and makes little noise. Since we had started the freezing process, there was no mess. We immediately ordered more rolls of both the 11" wide and 8" wide. We wouldn't have done that if we hadn't been immediately pleased with this handy FoodSaver.

Featuring the Saint (The Saint Series)
Featuring the Saint (The Saint Series)
by Leslie Charteris
Price: $11.99
15 used & new from $9.67

5.0 out of 5 stars For the fan of classic mysteries, and those who want to be., September 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The three further stories of the Saint in this volume are "The Logical Adventures", "The Wonderful War" and "The Man Who Could Not Die". Once again, Simon Templar (aka The Saint) takes on the bad guys by being a good, uh, bad, uh, sort of both but with his heart in the right place guy. About three-quarters of a century ago, Leslie Charteris gave the world of mystery writing this new hero, but not the by-the-book type of hero.

Written in a time where there were publishing "rules" about profanity and sex, Charteris gave the readers enough about his characters and situations for the readers to fill in the blanks for themselves without the story suffering one bit for lacking the sensational. Those characters are no less real because of that. And, it's fun to add the missing details to suit ourselves.

If you like classic mysteries but somehow missed the Saint books, then dig in.

Enter the Saint (The Saint Series)
Enter the Saint (The Saint Series)
by Leslie Charteris
Price: $11.99
17 used & new from $8.14

5.0 out of 5 stars In the beginning., September 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well, not technically the beginning of the Saint, but the beginning of him in stories of this length - the novella. And, there are three in this book: "The Man Who Was Clever"; "The Policeman With Wings"; and "The Lawless Lady'. Each is well done.

If you are new to the Saint series or to mysteries written in the 1920s and 30s, then be prepared for some huge differences when compared to the fare of today. First, there is no bad language. Second, there is no sex. Well, there actually is both, but the readers get to fill in the details to their own satisfaction. Therefore, if there is too much or not enough of either, it's your own fault.

The Saint is still being developed by Charteris at this point in his existence. The basics, though, will remain with him throughout. The Saint, Simon Templar, is British and most of the action is placed there. So, there are many references to things in a way unfamiliar to those who haven't been exposed to such.

Running into this series again was great fun.

Mead Zipper Binder with Handle, 2-Inch, Red (72765)
Mead Zipper Binder with Handle, 2-Inch, Red (72765)
Price: $13.89
2 used & new from $13.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Zip it., September 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The stitching is well done and the zipper slides smoothly. The two inner pockets are serviceable. There is also a wide pocket on the front. The 2 inch rings open and close via the push levers, though it is far easier to close them by pushing the rings themselves together.

There is an outside flap that closes via hook and eye. When open there is a two spot pen/pencil keeper elastic and a little pocket on the inside of the flap for stuff to fall out of. The flap opens way too easily. This feature is better looking than it is practical.

If you like zipper binders then this should work fine. Per Amazon, a 4 star rating means "I like it".

Charlie Chaplin: A Brief Life (Ackroyd's Brief Lives)
Charlie Chaplin: A Brief Life (Ackroyd's Brief Lives)
by Peter Ackroyd
Price: $19.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating., September 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While I'm not old enough to have seen Chaplin's silent films when they were made, my grandparents and parents were. As today, they talked about "old" movies that to them were no older than Star Wars is to my generation. I remember the silent movies being shown on TV in the 1950s and remember seeing Chaplin's.

Ackroyd does a very good job of following Chaplin's career in far more detail than I was expecting from a "Brief Life". By the end, the reader knows enough about the actor and film maker to understand who he was and what impact he had on the movie industry. Readers also learn of Chaplin's personality that, of course, was shaped by his early years. He makes amazing creative decisions that kept him on top of the movie pile, but terrible personal decisions that kept him in turmoil, when not also in trouble.

Well written, as always, by Ackroyd, this was an enjoyable read and a good addition to his growing list of both short and long biographies. I learned a lot. If you have any interest in Chaplin and/or the early movie industry this should be on your reading list.

The Peripheral
The Peripheral
by Gibson, William
Price: $21.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Convoluted future story of the past - maybe., September 20, 2014
This review is from: The Peripheral (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Why doesn't William Gibson age like the rest of us? I had enough trouble keeping up with his plots when I was younger. The saving grace for those of us who have been reading him from the start is that his books are still about that good old standby - people. And, though what they do has changed, why they do them hasn't. The greed, lust, love, power, meanness and whatever are left over from Shakespeare and those who wrote before him. We just read about those same people in future settings (and faster speeds!).

Since this is Gibson, we get to deal with a lot of stuff very quickly and in quantity. We know we are no longer in Kansas, but we aren't sure Kansas ever existed in Gibson's world. Confused? Pay your dues and join the club. It is difficult to determine who the good guys are or if there is such a thing. It's usually easier to identify the bad guys. The key word in that sentence is: usually.

Not surprisingly, this goes on for lots and lots of pages. There are several key characters and fortunately many short chapters. Sometimes there is only one breath taken in a chapter, so I'm sure that it's for the readers' survival that they were kept short. I remember with early, then later and now current Gibson that his books should come with flow charts.

If you imagine the wonders of science fiction from days gone by that you wanted to actually experience, then you still don't get to but you get to see even more people experience them in your stead. I was jealous of too many of the characters, though I didn't want to experience everything they did. As always, though, it is interesting to spend time in other times and places. As in our everyday world, these characters have their own everydays in their worlds.

So, what is a "Peripheral"? Do you want one? Are you one? Would you recognize one if you saw it? Where can you get one? Do the good guys win? Do the bad guys lose? Are there no winners or losers? And, why is it easier to imagine that everyone loses than the everyone wins?

Except for a side trip that really served no purpose, this was a mad dash from A to Z. Glad I read it.

Geoge Foreman GRP472P Removable Plate Grill, Service for 5
Geoge Foreman GRP472P Removable Plate Grill, Service for 5
Offered by Universalproducts
Price: $69.99
6 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from the champ., September 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have over ten different George Foreman appliances and each has been easy to use and produced delicious food. This one is a very nice addition to the working collection.

Out of the box, except for washing the plates, it is ready to be plugged in and used. There are two lights and one goes out when it has preheated. No temperature control for this variety of grill. Just put on the food and cook it.

The ceramic plates are the new features for us and they are very nice, and very, very slick. Be prepared to catch your food until you get used to these and are ready for action when you lift the lid. Since they are removable, they are easily cleaned without making a mess on the counter. They are very easy to put in and take out.

Cooking time was quick. We've used the regular grills since they were introduced and this is faster. If you have been using George Foreman grills, check this one sooner than you have been to see how stuff is cooking.

Highly recommended and will be in frequent use.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20