Profile for Ed B long island > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ed B long island RSS Feed

Maxliner MAXFLOORMAT Complete Set Custom Fit All Weather Floor Mats For Select Mazda CX-5 Models - (Black)
Price: $249.97
6 used & new from $249.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mats, September 18, 2014
Great mats. They fit like a glove, snap into the manufacturers posts and don't move. They are heavy duty and look like if you were wading through a swamp and got back in your car it would protect the carpet. Perfect for the beach or snow.

Sterling Silver 3.0 Cttw Diamond Bracelet
Sterling Silver 3.0 Cttw Diamond Bracelet
Price: $193.00

1.0 out of 5 stars It looked like kids jewelry and I returned it right away, September 18, 2014
The bracelet was almost gray. It lacked shine, sparkle and luster. It looked like kids jewelry and I returned it right away. It's cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Sony SELP1650 16-50mm Power Zoom Lens (Silver, Bulk Packaging)
Sony SELP1650 16-50mm Power Zoom Lens (Silver, Bulk Packaging)
Offered by D-Solution
Price: $164.99
13 used & new from $144.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny...., September 18, 2014
An outstanding kit lens. I was looking for a lens that I could use on my NEX 5N when traveling that would make it small enough to be convenient to carry around. I already own a bunch of primes for this camera, including the 16mm which is a great size and quality, but a 16 can be a bit wide for some things. This lens is only slightly larger then the 16 yet it offers a range to 50mm (making it a 24- 74mm when you convert it to it's 35mm equivalent). I read that the firmware should be updated on your camera before using this lens, and so I did that, it took all of about 5 minutes. The lens is sharper then I expected it to be. I'm a professional photographer, I mostly shoot a Canon 5dMKIII with L series glass. While it's not as sharp as that, it's surprisingly close. Overall, for the price you can't go wrong with this lens. It's not going to allow you to shoot in low light with out a flash, but it's higher f stop is a trade off for smaller size. If this lens were a 2.8 I wouldn't want to lug it around.

Sony NEX-EA50UH Professional Camcorder with 18-200mm Servo Zoom Lens
Sony NEX-EA50UH Professional Camcorder with 18-200mm Servo Zoom Lens
Offered by Electronics Basket
Price: $3,297.49
4 used & new from $2,700.00

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING CHOICE Great Image Quality, November 26, 2012
I've been shooting with this camera for three days. I use it for news gathering. (ENG). I've been using a Canon 5D MkII for video, and I was looking for a camera that would give me quality that was close to that in a form factor that was easy to use.

First, the build:
The camera feels solid. This is no toy and is comparable to some of the other sony cameras we are currently using where I work. The buttons are well placed leading to a fine shooting experience. It has all of the features I was looking for and they all seem solid. I especially like the viewfinder extension tube. It really helps in bright light.

The stock lens is acceptable, however the magic is that I can use all of my Canon Glass with a Metabones Adapter. Today, I used the 85 1.8 and it's a gem on this camera. The best part is that even though it's a prime lens, you can zoom 2x (it seems to be lossless, or at least close to lossless)

While I've always loved the image quality of the 5D, trying to shoot videos on the fly with it is no small task. I"ve been searching for something that would come close and be in a form of a video camera instead of a still camera. This camera meets that task (PLUS) the stills it shoots (16mp) are really sweet.

If there is any con, it's that the camera really could use some additional weight of the shoulder mount. Fortunately , there are 3 1/4 20 holes in the rest and I've already seen a weight attached to one.

Now the best part - The Image Quality:
The quality of this camera is very close to that of my 5D mark II, which has some of the best video quality available in any 1080p format. It's hard to tell the difference between this camera and the 5D. If you've ever looked at the low light performance of the 5D, this is very similar. Creamy blacks in low light with almost no digital noise.
The image is TACK and has depth.

I'll update as I use it more, but right now, as a photojournalist with almost 20 years experience, I'd recommend this camera to anyone shooting news for the web, local cable tv or even (gulp) network tv.... It's not 4:2:2, but the HDMI outputs in 4:2:2 so if you really need that you can get a recorder to accomplish that.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2012 1:41 PM PST

Rokinon FE14M-C 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Lens for Canon (Black)
Rokinon FE14M-C 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Lens for Canon (Black)
Price: Click here to see our price
47 used & new from $274.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Better then the best reviews..., June 5, 2012
I'll premise this review by saying that I've spent most of my adult life as a professional photographer. My images have appeared in Life, Time, Newsweek, Sports Illustrated and others. I've shot for many of the major wire services in America.

So, when I write this review, it comes from a professional prospective.

When I first opened the lens, I thought the packaging (not shipping packaging but the retail box) was a little lacking. That however is about the only negative thing I can say about this lens.

The sharpness is extraordinary, corner to corner and edge to edge. At f2.8 it's more then adequate and at f8 it's by far one of the sharpest lenses I have ever used.

It compares in overall sharpness to my 300 2.8, which is an extremely sharp lens.

The lens has good contrast (a little on the high side, but very good for such a wide lens) and the colors show no noticeable signs of shift.

The lens is fully manual. you set the aperture and the screen darkens. This lens is not for those wishing to point and shoot. It's not easy to manually focus a 14mm lens, and this is no exception.
I've found that Live View really helps. The focus ring is smooth and has a nice throw.

I've read some about distortion. Well, unless you're doing very specialized photos, you'll never notice it, however I did install PTLens and it corrected the distortion just fine. Honestly, I didn't think that the images looked any better when corrected.

Overall, I'd rate this lens a 10 out of 10 for VALUE. for the money, I don't believe you can get anything close.

Ed

Lilliput 5D-II/P 7 TFT LCD HDMI Monitor PEAKING Canon 5D Mark II 5d2 with Cable and Shoe Mount
Offered by VIVITEQ
Price: $279.00
6 used & new from $279.00

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!!, May 1, 2012
I'm a photojournalist working for a daily newspaper in New York. I write this review with almost 20 years of experience as a photojournalist and now a video journalist.

I've always loved the quality of the video of the Canon 5D MarkII and even the 7D. Shooting can be challenging, the camera's screen is small.

I just got the monitor in the mail, attached it to the camera, (still haven't read the user guide) and started playing.

All lI can say so far is WOW!

This is going to make shooting video MUCH easier, faster, and BETTER. the focus peaking is very helpful, the exposure peaking is great. Overall, I'm not sure how I lived without it this far.

If I have any complaint it's about the little ball head that they give you to attach the monitor to the camera. I'll probably replace it with something a little stronger.

Other then that, WOW, it's really a game changer for video.

As I use it I'll post an update about all the features, but, so far, the things I've played with are perfect.

You can look for my work on my website, including videos I'll be shooting. I'm not hard to find, just google my name - Ed Betz

If you have any questions, post them here or email me, I'll give you an answer.
Ed
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2013 12:16 PM PDT

Canon Speedlite 320EX Flash for Canon SLR Cameras
Canon Speedlite 320EX Flash for Canon SLR Cameras
Offered by Photo Savings
Price: $189.70
27 used & new from $144.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Little Flash, April 27, 2011
I've had this flash for a few days now and it's solid. It was smaller then I expected it to be, but that's actually a good thing. While it is not as powerful as the other flashes I own (430 and 550 ex) it's a great little flash. I ordered it mainly because of the ability to use the light in the front for video. It works very well for this as long as your subject is close. I've also used the slave feature with my 7D. The flash is almost silent, (no capacitor whine) and there really isn't all that much to mess with. It's either manuel or auto (plus the slave settings). Overall a great little flash.

VXi Bluetooth Headset for Smartphones - Retail Packaging
VXi Bluetooth Headset for Smartphones - Retail Packaging
Offered by Deal Outlets
Price: Click here to see our price
75 used & new from $58.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, November 16, 2010
I've tried almost every bluetooth headset made, and this one is hands down the best. The battery life is amazing, the sound quality is very good, plenty of volume and the audio quality (how people hear me) is outstanding. The noise canceling feature of this headset is great. It was easy to pair, worked with my blackberry and my MacBook pro on Skype calls.
Yes, it's large, and it will make you look like a geek. No you won't want to wear it out to the local night spot to look cool, but when you are driving in your car and you just want to hear and be heard, this is the headset to have. I've used the jawbone, several plantronics and a variety of others, none even came close.