Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Profile for Gary Stephens > Reviews

Browse

Gary Stephens' Profile

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gary Stephens RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Zero Tolerance Sinkevich Titanium Folding Knife, Small
Zero Tolerance Sinkevich Titanium Folding Knife, Small
Price: $160.00
37 used & new from $155.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice little knife ..., May 29, 2016
... with emphasis on "little" :-) If you have a chance to look at one "in person", I would suggest doing so first. While some prefer a tiny knife for EDC, I do not. This reminds me of something in size between a Kershaw Volt and a Leek. Very, very small. If I had the opportunity to handle it before buying it, I probably would have passed. Reading dimensions online, and even watching video reviews, are not the same as handling it "live". I'll probably keep it though, in spite of it being tiny, I'm starting to like it!
I prefer the look of the 0450 over that of the larger 0452cf - that one just reminds me too much of a steak knife ... a very, very expensive, tactical steak knife :-)

As I've come to expect from ZT, it's very well constructed, a flawless finish. Mine was hair-shaving sharp right out of the box. I don't like the pocket clip, so I swapped it out with a zt0560 deep-carry clip.

My only real gripe is with the lockbar detent and the "modified" grip one has to use in order to flip it open. It's annoying, and with such a tiny, lightweight knife, for me anyhow, I feel like I will drop it, having to hold it so as to not put my fingers firmly on the lockbar.

So, no points off for diminutive size, or pocket clip style - those I knew about ahead of time. Not crazy about the detent though, so points off for that.

If you like really small knives, you'll like this !

Intsun® High Powered 365 nm UV Ultraviolet LED flashlight Blacklight used for detecting fluorescer in cosmetics and baby stuff, Discover Counterfeit Banknotes, Scorpions, Minerals, diamonds, etc. (with battery and charger 1)
Offered by Intsun Supermarket
Price: $25.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, it's an OK little gadget - not great, not terrible ..., May 20, 2016
Disclaimer ... I paid for mine, full price. I was not compensated or given a discount, or a freebie, in exchange for a review :)

It's OK. It throws a very weak beam, so realistically, you have to be inches away from the surface, and pan across slowly, for any worthwhile results. Even then, it's not like you can play "CSI" and detect blood spatter and semen all over walls and ceilings. Up close, it causes some fluids to glow a little. Mostly it makes white or light colored objects look kinda cool in the dark.

I'd also recommend wearing yellow glasses to protect your eyes. As another review mentioned, even momentary, indirect exposure can leave your eyes feeling a little "buggy".

All in all, it's a neat, inexpensive little toy that will lose it's "wow factor" after using it a few times, then end up tossed in a drawer, right next to the X-ray specs.

Zero Tolerance 0909 KVT S35VN George Knife
Zero Tolerance 0909 KVT S35VN George Knife
Price: $180.00
21 used & new from $170.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Another outstanding knife from ZT!, May 2, 2016
Disclaimer - I did not purchase from Amazon ... there's no way I'm paying MAP for any knife :)
I really like my zt 0200, but it just feels too "pocket-heavy". Even though the 0909 weighs close to the same, it does not feel or carry the same. It's very "sleek", and flies open effortlessly. I wish my 0560bw opened this smoothly! Nice, solid lockup. Perfect centering. Perfect detent. Right out of the box. No need to adjust the pivot. Beautiful SW finish on the blade. Plus, they used a deep-carry pocket clip. I really hate that pocket clip on the 0200!
My only gripe here is with the G10 texture. It's not "smooth", but it's as close to it as you can get. I'd prefer just a bit more texture, but that's not really enough to deter me from recommending this knife. I'd buy it again. (blue anodized standoffs would have been a nice touch too) Is it worth 180 bucks though?? ... well ... that's up to you :)

Kershaw 6055 CQC-4KXL Folding Knife
Kershaw 6055 CQC-4KXL Folding Knife
Offered by Blade Shop
Price: $33.97
57 used & new from $25.58

2.0 out of 5 stars Defective - had to return it, April 29, 2016
I noticed right away how "gritty" the opening felt. Plus, the G10 scale was scuffed up, and the lock bar travel seemed a bit extreme. I may have received a used/returned knife. I have a feeling this was still a new knife though, just one that slipped past QC.
That aside - as far as the design goes, it has potential, but it's no Emerson. It's a 30-dollar Kershaw import, no matter how you slice it. The thumb disk is poorly positioned relative to the thumb opening, so it can't be snapped open quickly, using that method. It's heavy, but it's SS, not titanium, so that is to be expected. The 2-tone blade finish is a nice touch however.
Now ... If ZT took this same design, gave it a better G10 scale, or even CF, with a stonewash finish titanium back scale and anodized titanium standoffs ... now *that* would be one sweet knife!! It would cost around 200 dollars, but it would be well worth it. (like the zt0630)
All in all, I'd pass on this one - if you've ever handled a real Emerson ... it's just not the same. If you're looking for an expendable knife though, it may still be for you. There are better alternatives from Ganzo, however, that cost half as much, but have the same, if not higher, level of QC.

[Laptop Cooling Pad] E-PRANCE® X5 15-17 inch Gaming Laptop USB Fan Cooler with 4 Fans at 1200 RPM, Ultra-Portable, Light Weight and Whisper Quiet
Offered by E-PRANCE
Price: $49.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, so far ... I remain cautiously optimistic however ...., April 22, 2016
I bought this unit to replace another that only lasted about 6 months before the usb connections cracked, and the fans would no longer power up.

It's a 20-dollar unit, so set your expectations accordingly.

The overall construction is on-par with what you would expect. It's made entirely of plastic, except for the metallic mesh top cover. The foldout 'legs' on the bottom and tabs on the top do not stand up very well to sideways force, at all, so they will pop out if you nudge them enough. It's not 'flimsy' per se, but I wouldn't trust it to survive a 3-foot fall onto the floor either. The openings on the bottom of the unit are quite large, so if you are carrying it while it's running, odds are you'll stick your fingers in the fans once or twice.

It goes well with my HP DV-6 15.6 inch laptop, as far as size is concerned. A 17-inch laptop would probably be too big to fit properly.

Having "speed adjustment" dials on the fans is a useless feature. For this application, your basic on/off switch would be more than sufficient.
The blue LEDs are also pointless - I'm a SW engineer ... not sure the pretty blue lights contribute very much to my coding ability :-)

This will chew-up your battery life pretty quickly, so if you don't plug in, make sure you pay close attention to your battery level.

According to Speedfan, my laptop temp runs in the low 120's without this running, and in the upper 80's with, so it does what it's supposed to do. If you work with it on your lap though, expect the cooling ability to decrease (by about 10-12 degrees) due to the restricted airflow. That's not a design flaw, just common sense.

Overall, it's not bad. It works - it keeps my laptop at a reasonable temperature. I have to believe all brands of laptop coolers are about the same though - it's a crap-shoot as far as quality goes. Pick the one that costs the least amount of $$ and take it from there.

Ganzo G711 Folding Knife 440c Blade Black G10 Hanlde Camping Knife Hunting Knife
Offered by ACE KNIFE
Price: $18.95
2 used & new from $18.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Another nice Ganzo knife, just not "great", April 21, 2016
Of the several Ganzo knives I've purchased over the years, this is the first to be somewhat of a disappointment. The others have all been virtually perfect, right out of the box. Relatively smooth opening. No quality issues. No problems. This one, not so much ... the blade is just slightly off center ( then again, it is a Benchmade clone, so I guess that is to be expected :) and can't really be adjusted. The pivot has to be kept pretty tight to avoid blade play. The "axis lock" spring makes a loud, annoying "click" when the blade first starts to open. Oil didn't help. One of the scale screws is stripped out too and can't be removed, so I can't open it up to try and fix it .
On the plus side, the finish and grind on the blade are as good as any other knife I own, costing 10x's as much (or more). I wish Ganzo offered more stonewash or blackwash finishes though.

Keeping it in perspective, since it's a sub-20 dollar knife, it's still a pretty good deal. After playing around with this one, I may actually pick up an actual mini Onslaught, if I can find one that isn't insanely overpriced! (or, for around the same money, I can just buy 8 more of these :)

Nextbook Flexx 10/Ares 10L Case, WizFun PU Leather Case Cover For 10.1" Nextbook Flexx 10 (NXW101QC232) / Ares 10L (NXA101LTE116) Android 5.0 / Nextbook 10 (EFMW101T) Windows 8.1 Tablet (Blue)
Offered by WIZFUN TECH

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, April 12, 2016
Fits the Flexx 10 exactly as expected. Nice accessory to help protect the Nextbook, plus make it easier to carry. Appears to be well constructed - leather outer shell, soft suede inner lining. The color is consistent, no loose threads, no missed stitches, no open seams, etc. For the money, a great deal!

Champion Men's Pullover Eco Fleece Sweatshirt, Oxford Gray, Medium
Champion Men's Pullover Eco Fleece Sweatshirt, Oxford Gray, Medium
Price: $9.06
12 used & new from $9.06

2.0 out of 5 stars Too big, had to return it, April 12, 2016
I've purchased several Champion sweatshirts over the years, all Medium, all fit exactly as I would expect. Unfortunately, no so much here ...This one was *huge* ... I just returned a Russell brand sweatshirt for the exact same reason. I ordered a Medium, but it fits more like a Large, if not an XL. It's long and baggy. It would make a nice dress for a petite woman. I can't risk washing it, hoping it may shrink. Unless it was 100% cotton, there's no way it could shrink enough to matter.
I'll stick to buying them in-store I guess, paying a little extra, but at least getting one that fits.

Russell Athletic Men's Dri Power Fleece Crewneck Sweatshirt, Black Heather, Medium
Price: $16.99
3 used & new from $14.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Medium is more like an XL ... way too big!, April 8, 2016
It's probably a decent quality shirt, but as far as sizing goes, its way off. I ordered a Medium because that's the size I wear ... this thing is like a small tent! It looks ridiculous on, like a little kid wearing one of daddy's shirts!! Way too big, even after washing. I guess it will be an expensive polishing rag now.

Water Asleep®mouse,2400 DPI Wired USB Optical Beautiful Gaming Mouse with 6 Programmable Buttons,colorful Office Mouse Home Student Mouse Game Mouse.certification of Ce, FCC and Rohs.
Offered by Water Asleep
Price: $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty cool mouse, but set expectations accordingly, March 25, 2016
It initially worked as good as any other mouse I've ever owned. So factoring that in with the low cost, it seemed like a great deal. It's still a Six-Dollar mouse though, so, bottom-line .... don't expect it to last for years, or even months, if you are an average to moderate user. I've owned it for little over a month now, use it 8+ hours a day when working, and it's starting to develop a really, really annoying "automatic double click" when pressing the left button. It's especially annoying when going to delete a single email from Outlook, and suddenly realizing that single "click" actually deleted 2 or 3 emails. Equally annoying when trying to hi-light or cut-n-paste text while coding, and so on.
I'll probably toss it out in a week or so, once it finally outlives the "oh look, a shiny, color-changing mouse" factor.
Pick one up if you want a cool toy for the kids, or conversation piece for the office. Don't bother if you're actually looking for a hi-quality mouse.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4