Profile for Mike Goddard > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 98

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mike Goddard RSS Feed (Billerica MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Schrade SCHF16 Re-Curve Tanto Drop-Point Fixed Blade Knife with Sheath
Schrade SCHF16 Re-Curve Tanto Drop-Point Fixed Blade Knife with Sheath
Price: $13.86
29 used & new from $13.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little knife!, September 8, 2014
I picked one up when the price dropped to just under 16 bucks. That, plus free Prime shipping ... Couldn't resist! I added a 4.8mm, 30 in ball chain (dark finish), and it fits perfect. It was reasonably sharp right out of the box. Nice overall quality, especially for the price. Yes, it's a little heavy as a neck knife, and I'm sure I'd eventually break the chain after a few too many hard "one handed" draws, but I'll take that chance. Besides, when it comes down to 550 paracord vs my neck, well ... I know who's gonna win that one! :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2014 2:24 PM PDT

Lay's Do Us A Flavor Finalist, Mixed Bundle, 37 Ounce (Pack of 4)
Lay's Do Us A Flavor Finalist, Mixed Bundle, 37 Ounce (Pack of 4)
Price: $25.56
8 used & new from $17.85

1.0 out of 5 stars If these 4 are the finalists ...., September 5, 2014
I'd hate to see the ones that didn't make the cut!! I basically love anything coffee flavored, but these 'cappuccino' chips are plain gross. They failed miserably here, with an all-too-fake cappuccino flavoring. Let's just say, they do not have a very pleasant taste, and leave an even worse aftertaste. The 'mango salsa' ones were OK, at best. Too much fake-mango, and not enough salsa flavor though. They almost tasted "fruity" - again, not a taste you look for in a potato chip. Especially when it lingers for minutes after you are done eating one. Plus, the ones I tried were way too salty. I'll pass on trying the other 2 flavors after my initial exposure. I guess if you were drunk enough, these may be acceptable as a snack, but even that is a stretch! Avoid these ... stick to what works.

Cuba Wild Heart by Cuba for Men - 3.3 Ounce EDT Spray
Cuba Wild Heart by Cuba for Men - 3.3 Ounce EDT Spray
Price: $9.33
33 used & new from $7.15

3.0 out of 5 stars Not among the best of the Cuba series, September 5, 2014
It has a pretty 'generic' smell ... reminds me too much of the cheapo stuff you'd get in a place like WalMart or CVS . It's way too 'light' and 'flowery' for my taste anyhow. May be better suited for the 18-25 crowd, not old farts like me! Cuba Red and Black are my favorites. This one, not so much. That's the good thing about these though, you take a shot, and if you don't like it, you're only out 10 bucks, so it's no big deal.

Ka-Bar Heavy-Duty Warthog Knife
Ka-Bar Heavy-Duty Warthog Knife
Offered by Blade Shop
Price: $47.73
56 used & new from $43.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice knife overall, September 3, 2014
I wanted to get one of these years ago, when I first saw the original version. I had no specific need or use for it in mind at the time, I just thought it would be a cool knife to own. I'm glad I finally picked one up. The only problem I have is that the handle feels a bit too 'thin' for such a wide, heavy blade. (it's blade-heavy anyhow, but that should be obvious just by looking at it, so no surprise there) I have medium to large hands, and for me it's a little uncomfortable to grip. I'd prefer a slightly thicker handle, maybe a little wider in the middle, to get a more 'controlling' grip. I will probably just wrap part of it with some 550 paracord to make it a bit more comfortable. I put some traction tape on the thumb ramp to get more bite. Otherwise, I can't wait to put it to good use! If the price stays reasonable (under 50 dollars) I'd recommend picking one up.

Pennington Rackmaster Durana White Clover Seed, 5-Pound
Pennington Rackmaster Durana White Clover Seed, 5-Pound
Price: $39.99
3 used & new from $32.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Cautiously optimistic, but so far, so good ...., September 2, 2014
I have a few areas in my back yard where the grade is relatively steep, and the topsoil is slowly washing away, leaving behind a hard, slippery surface. I tilled the area down an inch or so, raked in some loam, and spread some clover seed by hand. I did this on Saturday, and after only 3 days, there are areas where the clover is starting to sprout. I have a few other spots that were seeded in a similar manner (to repair grub damage) a week earlier, and they are coming in pretty well at this point. I am holding off on declaring a victory until I see more wide-spread growth, but I am very pleased with the initial results. FWIW, I am in Zone 5. The seed is growing in areas of both shade, and direct sun. We have had almost no rain in the past week or so. It has been warm and humid during this time, so that may be contributing to the promising results .

Lansky Sharpeners Responder, Black/Olive G-10 Handle, Plain
Lansky Sharpeners Responder, Black/Olive G-10 Handle, Plain
Offered by Outfitter Country
Price: $32.95
17 used & new from $32.95

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like big knives, you'll love this one!, August 26, 2014
This is a nice, big, heavy knife. It's similar in size and weight to some of the Bad Blood folders. The blade is long, with the sharpened portion itself being 4 inches long. It's 9 inches overall, from the tip of the blade to the tip of the pommel.The handle is very comfortable, well designed, with grippy, but not too aggressive, G10. (it's the typical 'import knife' G10 texture, I like it better than that of my zt350 actually) The aluminum partial backspacer flows into a skull-crusher pommel, making this a formidable striking weapon even when closed. The gimping is adequate. The flipper opens a little stiff, but that may loosen up over time. I would like to see gimping on the flipper too, but that's just a personal preference. I tried to adjust the pivot screws, but the head on one stripped out, so that didn't work out very well. The belt clip is plain and boring, but functional. It is pretty tight initially, but easily bends to allow for a better fit. This is definitely a 'flipper only' knife - the thumb-slot has sharp edges and is positioned such that you cannot get a good 'thumb fling' when holding it. The thumb studs are actually a blade stop, which is a nice feature. Probably not a good EDC candidate, unless you are wearing jeans, or heavy cargo pants. Overall, a good 4.5 star knife. Rounding up to 5 though.

Cold Steel 80PGTK GI Tanto 7" Carbon
Cold Steel 80PGTK GI Tanto 7" Carbon
Price: $20.20
75 used & new from $20.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, right out of the box!, August 22, 2014
First off, if you are expecting 200-dollar BM or ZT quality for 20 bucks, then you are way, way off base. Don't even waste your time buying one, because you will only be disappointed. This is more of a 'knife kit' - you can use it as-is, or customize it to your liking. There are a ton of videos showing how to wrap the handle with 550 paracord, how to customize the grind, strip and re-coat the blade, and so on. At this price, I am going to pick up another one, just to keep one in "original" condition, and another to mess around with. I tried simply wrapping OD paracord over the scales, and it makes for a nice, thick grip. This is a decent, quality knife for the money. Mine was reasonably sharp, the grind is nice and even, the coating is perfect, and the sheath is awesome (compared to the one that came with my Ontario Ranger anyhow!) It's nicely balanced, not too heavy, but definitely not a lite-weight. I'm sure if you abuse it enough, the tip could break off, but that holds true for just about any knife. If you have huge hands, you may find the handle to be a bit too short, but that's about the only caveat I can think of. Pick up a couple before the price goes up!

AR Blue Clean AR118 1,500 PSI 1.5 GPM Hand Carry Electric Pressure Washer
AR Blue Clean AR118 1,500 PSI 1.5 GPM Hand Carry Electric Pressure Washer
Price: $99.00
15 used & new from $79.06

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, light-duty pressure washer, August 18, 2014
All electric pressure washers are essentially the same. You take your chances on getting a lemon when you buy one, regardless of the brand. None of them work as expected ... unless you expect to be disappointed. All of them produce lower-than-desired, and lower-than-advertised pressure. They will fail, leak, or break, somehow, within 18-24 months of purchase. You can by the blue one, the red one, or the really, really expensive yellow one, it doesn't matter.

The AR118 is a decent little washer. It would be good for someone that occasionally needs to do some light cleaning, or already has a more powerful gas unit, but doesn't want to take it out for those 'little' jobs. You have to virtually touch the surface of whatever you are trying to clean, with the wand, in order to do a decent job. You will get very wet as a result. You will be quite disappointed if you think you are going to do any significant amount of cleaning with this unit, so set your expectations accordingly.

If you are patient, you can get the cord and pressure hose wrapped back around the unit for storage. I like this one much better than any wheeled unit I've used in the past. It's light, and very easy to carry. The on-board wand and trigger storage is well designed. I threw out the soap dispenser right away though - those never work, so why even bother.

I bought this used (from Amazon Warehouse), to replace an AR 383 1900psi unit that had failed after 15 months. This one cost 77.50. If I get a year out of it, I'll be happy (and surprised). It has almost as much pressure as the AR 383, even though, "on paper", there is supposed to be a 400psi difference. It worked perfect right out of the box. No leaks. No issues. It's 'used', so there was a good size crack in the rear plastic casing, but that is only cosmetic. Next year, when this one dies, I'll probably just buy another used one.

As a side-note, if you have to use an extension cord, make sure it's 12/3, and make sure it's 25ft or less. This will help extend the life of the motor.

Pros:

Very light-weight
Easy to carry
Easy to store
No leaks (be sure to use teflon tape on threads)
Works exactly the same as units costing 2-3x's as much

Cons:

Electric pumps/washers have a very short life expectancy
Plastic hose connections will leak after a while
The rubber o-rings in the hose ends will leak, or fail, after a while
No turbo wand included (not exactly a deal-breaker though)

Overall, if you set your expectations accordingly, you may be pretty happy with this. If not, just return it, and I will probably be the one to buy it as a 'used' pressure washer next year!

(1 Sets) Bissell Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner Style 9/10/12 Hepa Pleated Micro Inner Filter and Outer Foam Filter 32064, 32065, 2031183,Powerforce Bagless, Cleanview II, CleanView Helix, CleanView Helix Deluxe, CleanView Helix Select, PowerForce Turbo, Rewind SmartClean
Offered by B & M Housewares
Price: $9.99
8 used & new from $5.76

3.0 out of 5 stars Ugh ... Does not fit the Bissell Powerforce Turbo Helix, August 5, 2014
If you have the red Bissell Powerforce Turbo Helix (68C71) that is carried by WalMart, this inner filter will not fit properly. It sits too high. You can break-off the 4 plastic 'fins' on the top, but even after that, it does not 'snug down' tightly in the filter tray. A little electrical (or duct) tape along the inner ring, or tabs, will help though, to give it something to 'catch' on.

After finally getting it to fit ... there is a noticeable reduction in suction power, compared to the 'old' filter. Not sure if it's the inner or outer foam filter causing it.

The foam 'outer' filter looks like it was cut from a larger piece, by a 3 year old, with dull scissors. That can get tossed-out. Luckily I had one that I could just wash and re-use.

So, to sum it up, if you own the Bissell Powerforce Turbo Helix (68C71) carried by WalMart ... just go buy a whole new vacuum ... you will not find a filter that fits.

Otherwise, the inner filter is salvageable, sort of. For under 10 bucks, it is what it is.

ZUPREEM 230100 Garden Goodness Small Bird Food, 2-Pound
ZUPREEM 230100 Garden Goodness Small Bird Food, 2-Pound
Offered by Deerso
Price: $13.24
7 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, budgie approved!, August 1, 2014
I've used these as a supplement to plain seed for our 2 parakeets for years now, and they seem to enjoy it. They will not give up on seed entirely, but as long as pellets are included in their daily diet, they will continue to do well. The only problem with these is their size and texture - they are too big and hard for my birds to eat as-is. I have to soak them in water first, for about 25 mins, in order to soften them up. After that, they devour them! Aside from being a bit pricey, this is a great product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10