Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Matt Kelland > Reviews

Browse

Matt Kelland's Profile

Customer Reviews: 40

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Matt Kelland RSS Feed (Florida)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Adventures of Toadally Toad the Friendly Frog - In the Beginning
The Adventures of Toadally Toad the Friendly Frog - In the Beginning

3.0 out of 5 stars A cute story to read to little ones, November 24, 2012
Jumpin' Jimmy, the Cranky Cat, is sulking because it's hot, it's sticky and there's no cold milk, but a trip to see Sweet Little Suzie's beautiful baby bunnies with his friends Rocketing Roger the Peppy Puppy and Toadally Toad cheers him up. A nice little story to read aloud with a cute message about how spending time with friends is more important than worrying about life's little irritations. Younger kids will like the friendly characters.

Extraordinary Customer Service: Beyond the Extra Mile in Loyalty Marketing
Extraordinary Customer Service: Beyond the Extra Mile in Loyalty Marketing
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for anyone in customer service, November 18, 2012
"Extraordinary customer service is when the customer declares "Wow--that was great!" It's the difference between a transactional experience and a transformational
experience." This, in a nutshell, is what the book's about. These days, when you can buy what you need from thousands of suppliers, often just the click of a button away, the difference between them isn't price - it's service. People will tell each other when they've had a lousy experience with a company, and it doesn't take much to make small complaints go viral on Twitter or Facebook. It's harder to get them to say good stuff about you, but it can be done. Good service isn't enough - it has to be extraordinary.

J.M. Enage tackles a topic that's very dear to me. For my entire working life, I've stressed how important it is to do your best for your customers. That's what gets them coming back and bringing new customers to them. It's not just about politeness - it's about integrity and honest service. Two of his observations in particular resonated with me and the way I like to work:

1. Not bouncing from a mistake. When you mess up (and, let's face it, we all do), face up to it, and then deal with the problem honestly and rapidly. It may hurt, but it hurts a lot less than trying to make excuses (even if they're true) or fob your customers off with second-rate service.
2. Not recommending unnecessary work. It may mean a short-term loss of profits, but it builds long-term relationship and reputation.

Packed with examples and well laid out lists, Enage's book is one that should be read by business owners, entrepreneurs, investors, and anyone who works directly with customers. If you can "go the extra mile" to transform your customers' experience with you from good to great, you'll transform your business.

E-Z Detox Diet Tea: Energy Enhancer, Easy Weight Loss, Appetite Control, Body Cleanse.
Offered by YoungYou
Price: $24.99
3 used & new from $18.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work surprisingly well, November 18, 2012
I've always been dubious about the efficacy of this kind of product, but I was persuaded to give it a go. As a die-hard coffee drinker, it took me a little while to get used to the taste, but after a couple of days I actually began to like it, especially when I added a little organic honey.

I certainly noticed a reduction in appetite. I had a cup in the mornings, and didn't feel the need to snack through the working day like I usually do. That was the main benefit for me - when I've tried to lose weight before, I always end up either eating at my desk and failing to lose any weight, at all or else thinking all day about how hungry I am, getting depressed, and giving up on my good intentions. While I've been drinking this stuff, I've been able to concentrate on work instead of on food.

I did notice that it seems to have a laxative effect, but that could also be from the fact that I've been eating more fruit and cereal. And, of course, it's all natural. I'm not sure how well it works in the long term - I've only been using it for a week - but as part of a detox, or to help you break the cycle when shifting to a new eating regime, it seems to do the job just fine. And for the price, it's a lot more affordable than some of the other products out there.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2013 1:09 PM PDT

That Girl Started Her Own Country (Count of Monte Cristo Book 6)
That Girl Started Her Own Country (Count of Monte Cristo Book 6)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully inventive, September 11, 2012
It's slightly odd to find myself reading the sixth sequel in a series of ten, especially when sequels two to five haven't been written yet, and when it's so different to the book it's apparently following. I normally like to start at the beginning of a series and read them in order, so it did feel like being thrown into the middle of something with no warning. It's been a long, long time since I read The Count of Monte Cristo, so I'm sure there's a lot I was missing that I would have picked up if I'd re-read that and then read the first sequel before this. I'll also confess that I haven't read the whole of Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy either. (Or even seen the movies, come to that.) As a result, I suspect there are even more allusions I'm missing. No matter, it's still perfectly readable. Do be aware, though, that the story doesn't finish neatly. As you might expect from a series, it ends on something of a cliff-hanger.

What grabbed me with this book - which I read in a single sitting - was the immense variety of ideas being thrown out. There are legal issues (how many books will quote extensively from the Sovereign Immunity Act, for example?), a look at how to found your own country and the legal position of Sealand, and questions of prison reform and justice for abused women, then there's a lot of stuff about the ethics of hacking, technology for altering fingerprints, and so on. Meanwhile there are secret societies, conspiracies, and all sorts of shenanigans. It's not a simple, predictable book that fits into a defined genre. The main character is also unusual - who exactly is she? And how did she get to be in the position she is? She's not a believable character, in that she's definitely larger than life, but she's interesting and fun.

My only real quibble with the book is that although there's a great story and engaging characters, the writing often lacks depth and finesse. Too many one-sentence paragraphs make it feel choppy and break up the flow, and there's not enough emotional detail. The pseudonymous author too often tells us bluntly how someone is feeling or what they're thinking, when it would be better to give us a scene which lets us deduce what's going on beneath the surface: "show, don't tell," as most editors will tell you. Some of the dialogue also feels contrived and worthy of a B-movie, particularly in the prison scenes featuring Latina characters, and the courtroom scenes come across as far too simplistic, lacking the intricacy of a John Grisham.

On balance, though, it's a fun, easy read which has a lot of potential to develop into an interesting series.

A Kingdom's Cost, a Historical Novel of Scotland (The Black Douglas Trilogy Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine, but would have been better without the typos, September 10, 2012
As historical adventures go, this was okay. It's got plenty of story, set about a decade before Bannockburn (one of the very few dates I remember from prep school history lessons), following the struggle between Robert the Bruce of Scotland and Edward Longshanks of England.

However, J.R. Tomlin is no Nigel Tranter. The characters don't have much depth, and there's no real sense of historical context. There's a lot going on, but it wasn't as involving as it could be.

The Kindle edition is in serious need of an editor. Whole paragraphs turn up in Courier font for no reason, and the text is riddled with typos. For example, please learn the difference between a censer and a censor. (Burning censors may be a fine political statement, but I don't think that was what the author meant.) And please, you should be able to get your characters' names right - Niall is frequently called Naill, and I'm not sure whether the love interest was supposed to be Isabelle, Isabella or Isabel.

I got this as a freebie, and it passed the time one lazy morning. As luck would have it, the second volume was a freebie the following day, so I grabbed that too. I guess it can't have been that bad if I'm willing to read more.

Freedom's Sword, a Historical Novel of Scotland
Freedom's Sword, a Historical Novel of Scotland

1.0 out of 5 stars Too many typos: couldn't finish it, September 10, 2012
I liked the first in the series, and the day after I finished it, the second was a freebie on Amazon, so I grabbed it. Sadly, this one's nowhere near as good. The characters seems to be wandering round aimlessly, and I couldn't make myself care about them enough to finish.

The quality of the editing is, as before, dreadful. It's as if the book was dictated to a computer which regularly confuses oak and oat, to and too, their, they're and there, horse and house, and so on. I struggled with the previous one because I was enjoying the story. This one, however, was just plain unreadable.

Knight Esquire (The Young Ancients Book 2)
Knight Esquire (The Young Ancients Book 2)
Price: $0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Good storytelling, but desperately needs an editor, September 10, 2012
Please, please, PLEASE get an editor! Preferably one who knows the difference between to and too, between were and we're, and that plurals aren't plural's. Some familiarity with basic punctuation would be good too.

The story was mostly fine, but Tor's incessant angst and self-pity has become tiresome. At one point I thought he was going to grow up and start dealing with things, but no, a few chapters later he's back to being pathetic.

I could live with that - after all, he's still only seventeen, and he has several more books in which to grow up, but I just can't handle the truly amateurish quality of the book. Orange Cat Publishing should be ashamed of themselves for releasing the book in this state. I won't be buying any more in the series, purely because it's so badly produced.

Best Slow Cooker Recipes (Easy Slow Cooker Book, Beef, Chicken, Pork, Turkey)
Best Slow Cooker Recipes (Easy Slow Cooker Book, Beef, Chicken, Pork, Turkey)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great one to have around, June 2, 2012
I love slow cooking: it fits well with my work-from-home no-idea-when-I'm-going-to-finish lifestyle. This is a good collection of recipes for anyone who's got a slow cooker and isn't sure what to do with it. None of the recipes are difficult or complex, and there's enough variety to keep you going for a while. For me, it's good inspiration: I have it on my iPhone, and I can just flick through while I'm having my morning coffee and decide what to cook for the evening meal.

Jane Butel's Best of Mexican Regional Recipes
Jane Butel's Best of Mexican Regional Recipes

4.0 out of 5 stars Add some variety to your Mexican cooking, May 4, 2012
This is a good collection that includes some more unusual Mexican recipes. It's well laid out and easy to follow, and a useful book if you're bored of cooking the same few dishes you get in most Mexican cookbooks. It's not the most extensive Mexican cookbook around - as it says, it's "the best of", not "the complete" - but even so, you're likely to find something new to experiment with. I'm familiar with most of the recipes in here, but I can't wait to try Roasted Corn Soup with Corn Truffles and the Mayan Roasted Vegetable Salsa at this weekend's Cinco de Mayo feast!

Mexican Vegetarian Cookbook: Quick, Easy & Delicious Vegetarian Mexican Recipes
Mexican Vegetarian Cookbook: Quick, Easy & Delicious Vegetarian Mexican Recipes

3.0 out of 5 stars A good basic guide, May 3, 2012
If you're already familiar with Mexican cookery, then this probably won't have much new for you. If, however, you're new to this style of cookery, this is a good place to start. The recipes are clear and easy to follow, and there's enough variety to give you plenty to choose from.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4