Profile for Michael Senger > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Senger RSS Feed

BlackBerry 9800 Torch Unlocked Phone with 5 MP Camera, Full QWERTY Keyboard, 4 GB Internal Storage, and Slider Card Slot Up to 32GB - International Version with No Warranty (Black)
Offered by BREED
Price: $99.99
11 used & new from $45.95

2.0 out of 5 stars I hate this phone., June 28, 2011
I do not typically write product reviews. I am a fairly passive consumer and do not normally feel too passionately about products one way or another. But this phone has caused me so much pain and heartache that I have been inspired to share my long list of grievances with the world.

First, the good. I begrudgingly had to give this phone two stars, because yes, it's cool that it's a blackberry with a touch screen and still has a full keyboard, and that's worth a star. That's pretty much where the good stops. Let the rant begin.

First, the touch screen is crap. Honestly, you poke one part of the screen, and it will act like you poked a part of the screen an inch away. This makes the touch screen incredibly frustrating to use and cripples the utility of having a touch screen by at least 60%. You will never use the on-screen keyboard, even if you try, because you can't possibly type a word correctly.

Second of all, this phone is incredibly buggy. Frequent freezes and crashes? You bet. Dropped calls? Of course! Short term memory loss? You'll get that. Deletion of call history beyond an extremely short period of time? 100% included. Notifications whenever any one of your 500 friends does anything on facebook? Oooh yeah! And beware, if you try to delete the social feeds app like a normal sane person, it just deletes the icon so you have no way of deactivating the facebook feed without getting a new phone.

But that's just the beginning. The worst, and I mean of all this crap I've had to put up with, the single worst aspect of the phone is the screen lock button. It's at the very top of the phone, and is extremely sensitive to any physical contact, including the drop of a piece of pocket lint. So warn your friends beforehand if you get this phone, because you will be pocket dialing them about 5 times a day. And warn your accountant too, because if you travel abroad you will incur at least an extra $100 a day in pocket dialing charges. Carlos Slim will be very pleased.

I am an ardent freedom-preaching capitalist, and I believe it's rare that a company puts out a product that actually destroys utility for its customers. But you can file this one away with mortgage-backed securities: Blackberry, your Torch has successfully made me, and thousands of others, poorer, less happy people.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2011 1:35 PM PDT

In Defense of America
In Defense of America
by Bronwen Maddox
Price: $15.29
102 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible book... but not really offensive, September 9, 2008
This review is from: In Defense of America (Hardcover)
I learned only one thing by reading this--do not pick a random, interesting book out of Barnes and Noble and expect it to be worth your precious time and hard-earned money. This shelf clogger is redundant beyong belief, repeating every premise and point of evidence several times. Bronwen could have easily written the same thing more clearly and effectively in a three page article in The Economist--meaning that the book's lucid purpose is to trick suckers like me into parting with their $14. Well Bronwen, I hope you got to eat a really nice lunch, a personal thanks and apology would be much appreciated.

After spending my summer in France, however, where I couldn't talk to a single person without them lecturing me on the failings of Iraq and American monolingualism, this book came as a serious breath of air, and I can't agree at all that it is inherently critical of America. If the book had been a three-page Economist article, it would have been a very good one. It's nice to know that we do still have allies abroad who understand the issues we're confronted with and the extent of irrational bias we face.

So I came away from the book not so much disliking Bronwen, but more just wishing she would apologize for wasting my time and give me my money back.

Microeconomics: Theory and Applications with Calculus
Microeconomics: Theory and Applications with Calculus
by Jeffrey M. Perloff
39 used & new from $13.14

1.0 out of 5 stars This is the worst textbook I've ever used, March 17, 2008
There is a serious lack of examples in this book. The author writes in almost pure prose, then asks very analytical math-based questions. There is nothing to refer to when answering these questions. By the end of each chapter, the reader has learned nothing.

Playstation 1 Memory Card (1 MB)
Playstation 1 Memory Card (1 MB)
Offered by VideoGameAdvantage
Price: $5.00
21 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Deleted my files, August 11, 2007
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
The memory card worked for a day or two, then deleted my all my files when i tried to save again. Now it doesn't work at all. This product sucks. Avoid at all cost.

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VII
Offered by MediaNett
Price: $179.97
279 used & new from $25.32

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best game ever made, hands down!!!, August 1, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII (Video Game)
I can't begin to describe how good this game is. The only thing I can really do is compare it to literature; there are thousands upon thousands of books out there, but only a few, like Ender's Game, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Lolita, and Slaughterhouse V, can really be called life changing. Final Fantasy VII is one of the only, if not the only, really life changing game you'll ever play (besides MMO's, but those change your life in a far more negative way).

I know I'm flushing, but I feel it's necessary to cut through all the complete bs people are starting to say about this game--believe me, anyone who says this is not the best game ever made is just trying to get attention!! If you couldn't buy this game for less than $300, it would still be worth every penny.

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier
A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier
by Ishmael Beah
Price: $17.61
951 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, March 19, 2007
Not only is Beah's story absolutely incredible, but you'll find this book to be dripping with imagery, emotion, and even symbolism. A Long Way Gone is an instant classic, fascinating and life-changing. If you're only allowed to read one book this year, this should be it.