Profile for Christopher Mayo > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 897

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Christopher Mayo RSS Feed (the Universe)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dell Computer Dell Portable Backup Harddrive-1TB (784-BBBE)
Dell Computer Dell Portable Backup Harddrive-1TB (784-BBBE)
Price: $90.87
16 used & new from $86.50

5.0 out of 5 stars you pay 25% more for dell label, August 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Dell Computer Dell Portable Backup Harddrive-1TB (784-BBBE) is a fine-looking hard drive that works great on Windows and Mac. But, watch out! You might end up paying a steep price for it.

HARDWARE / SOFTWARE
It is formatted for Windows, so all you have to do is plug it into your laptop to use it. For Mac, though, you'll probably need to reformat it. My computer could see it, but couldn't write to it until I formatted it (again) as MS-DOS (Fat). Then, it worked fine for both Mac and Windows. Of course, if you are just going to be using it on the Mac, you'll want to format it as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) or Mac OS X Extended (Journaled, Encrypted). I'm pleased with the performance.

DELL OR SEAGATE?
This would have been my first time using a Dell drive, so I was kind of excited to see what Dell had to offer, but I discovered that there wasn't a whole lot to it. The software is Seagate, the drive is Seagate (it even says it is manufactured by Seagate on the label), but only the branding is Dell. That's fine with me, I guess, but my first complaint, if one can call it that, is that the image shown for the drive on Amazon's website is different from the drive I received! A Dell-branded "Seagate Backup Plus" is shown, but I received a drive that looks a lot different. Specifically, it is missing the removable end (shown in the image) that would enable a user to connect a Thunderbolt adapter. True, not that many people actually besides me utilize the Thunderbolt adapter, and I don't know of any Windows folks who have Thunderbolt capabilities on their devices, but the drive pictured is $10 more than the Seagate Backup Plus drive, and I have to wonder what the extra money gets you. Is it all for the Dell label?

A 25% MARKUP
It gets worse, though. The drive I actually received (I assume everyone gets this) looks identical to Seagate's "Backup Plus Slim" drive, which is about $25 dollars less than this Dell-branded version of it (93.89 vs. 69)! It still gets five stars for being a wonderful drive, but I think savvy shoppers will do price comparisons with the Seagate drives before purchasing it. Prices fluctuate on Amazon (a lot more than most people know), so it is possible that the situation will change, but if you are buying today, I cannot see why you would spend roughly 25% more for this instead of getting a Seagate one. In fact, for about the same price you pay for the Dell, you can get a Seagate Backup Plus Slim drive with double the storage -- 2TB. Dell needs to rethink their price point here, because I think they have overestimated how much their label is worth.

Traditional Medicinals Herbal Tea, Dandelion Leaf and Root, 16 Count, (Pack of 6)
Price: $26.98

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a nice, healthy alternative, August 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I think it would be too much to say that I'll be switching from coffee or milk tea to dandelion tea, but I think for an occasional change of pace, this is a nice, healthy alternative. Judging by the warnings on the box, I guess that it isn't even recommended for prolonged periods, so I suppose it's for the better that the taste isn't enough to make me switch completely to it. I don't have any digestive problems at the moment, but if I ever do, I'll be reaching for this tea.

Remington Products F7-7800XCDN Men's Interceptor Foil Shaver with Charge Stand
Remington Products F7-7800XCDN Men's Interceptor Foil Shaver with Charge Stand
Price: $70.96
36 used & new from $66.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Affordable and Well Designed, July 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm afraid foil shavers aren't on friendly terms with my skin, especially on my neck. The rotary ones are slightly better, but nothing comes close to a blade. I hold out hope for foil razors, though. My Braun (a relatively compact size one for international travel) is at least ten years old and still cuts as well as the day I bought it. It doesn't hold a charge anymore, but works with the cord. The fact that you can use the Remington with a cord also means that it is likely to stick around for a long time -- this kind of seemingly minor design stuff is important. I haven't found the more expensive shavers to be any better than this one, so if you are on the fence because of price, I'd recommend this one.

Remington Products Xr1350 Hyper Series Rotary Shaver
Remington Products Xr1350 Hyper Series Rotary Shaver
Price: $69.97
3 used & new from $69.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality for the Price, July 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Remington makes some great razors, and even though the head is kind of large, it shaves well with only a few passes. My neck requires a bit more work, and some days (especially hot ones when my skin is a little moist) I have to give up and use a blade. But, this is pretty standard with every razor I have used, and I guess your experience will vary depending on your particular skin type. Also, I wouldn't recommend it with longer stubble after a few days of growth. It's best to use as a daily razor.

Epson WorkForce DS-560 Document Scanner
Epson WorkForce DS-560 Document Scanner
Offered by PCNation
Price: Click here to see our price
29 used & new from $399.00

4.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Scanner with Unpleasant Software, July 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Epson WorkForce DS-560 Document Scanner is a better looking version of the DS-510, which I have reviewed on Amazon. Like it's cheaper cousin, it scans beautifully, and is well worth the money.

Scan Quality
In fact, the color quality is the best I have seen on a scanner, and it is far better than the Fujitsu Scansnap ix500. For this reason, if you are willing to put up with the software (see below), I'd recommend this over the ix500.

Software
Epson really needs to redesign the software. If you are looking for something clean and easy to use, then the Scansnap ix500 is the machine for you. The Epson settings are from from intuitive on Windows or Mac. And, the software is surprisingly clunky, as if it was a throwback to the stylings and user-friendliness of a decade ago. Of course, for the Mac, it has no support for retina displays, and it is blurry. It won't even start up on Windows or Mac unless you have the scanner plugged into your computer and powered on. I could go on and on about how unenjoyable the software is, but it does work, and I feel like I can do more fine tuning with my scans than I can with the ix500.

WiFi
This is the selling point for the device, but I haven't got it working. If a device takes more than a few minutes to set up, then I really think manufacturers have failed. I am sure I will get it going at some point, and I plan to update my review then. See the other excellent reviews for some details about how to deal with the installation process.

[EDIT 2014/08/21]: I still haven't got it to connect! A relatively new router, and it just isn't working. I am moving it to another location and I will give it a try there. Perhaps I am just incompetent, but I really don't understand why this is the only device I have (out of dozens) that can't connect. They should have done this with Bluetooth or something like that if they couldn't get this to work smoothly. Again, I think this ought to be put at the feet of the software developers.

SUMMARY
I definitely recommend this scanner for its high quality construction and excellent scanning capabilities. I prefer this to the Fujitsu Scansnap ix500. It isn't terribly user friendly, though, and if you are just doing basic documents that don't have any need for high quality color fidelity, then you will probably be better off with the ix500.

BISSELL Pet Pretreat + Sanitize Stain & Odor Remover, 1129
BISSELL Pet Pretreat + Sanitize Stain & Odor Remover, 1129
Price: $13.77
2 used & new from $7.78

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bissell 1129 Pet Pretreat stain remover is the best we have ever used, July 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Bissell 1129 Pet Pretreat stain remover is the best we have ever used. We've tried several different brands, and they were so-so, but this one always works great. We have a spot cleaning machine, but this is nice for tiny stains. You just spray, leave it there for a few minutes, and then you clean it up. Usually, no scrubbing is necessary. It does have a strong smell, but that eventually goes away, and it completely eradicates whatever odor might have been in the stain. I consider this to be a good thing, but people with sensitive noses might not.

Hoover Air Cordless Series 3.0 Bagless Upright Vacuum, BH50140
Hoover Air Cordless Series 3.0 Bagless Upright Vacuum, BH50140
Price: $269.99
13 used & new from $216.59

5.0 out of 5 stars 0 Bagless Upright Vacuum is a wonderful device, because it is so lightweight and you ..., July 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Hoover Air Cordless Series 3.0 Bagless Upright Vacuum is a wonderful device, because it is so lightweight and you don't need a cord, so vacuuming becomes less of a chore. We definitely vacuum a lot more now.

The quality of construction is pretty good, it was well-thought out, and assembly was intuitive. There are clear indications about things that can be removed or pressed -- you just look for the blue color-coding on the vacuum.

The suction is OK on carpet. If you use the roller (pressing the blue button on the left) then it will easily pick up stubborn stuff like dog hair. One cool thing is that the vacuum shuts down automatically if it gets caught up in a blanket or something. That protects the motor, but getting it turned back on is a bit of a pain. I haven't quite figured out the trick to getting it going quickly again.

Cleaning is really easy. You just press the button, remove the canister, and then press another button to empty it. It only takes about 10 seconds.

Charging is convenient. Again, just press the clearly marked button, pull out the battery, and stick it into the station. It usually takes three or four hours to charge. But, you have another battery (it comes with two) that you can use in the meantime. One battery usually lasts for about two cleanings in a 1,000 square foot apartment.

The head of the vacuum has a mind of it's own, so that is a little annoying, but not a big deal. Otherwise, it is perfect, and highly recommended.

New Balance Women's W890 Cushion Running Shoe,Yellow/Silver,7 B US
New Balance Women's W890 Cushion Running Shoe,Yellow/Silver,7 B US
Price: $99.95
4 used & new from $89.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fit and Nice Styling, July 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I ordered the New Balance Women's W890 Cushion Running Shoe, but received W940WB2. I'm not sure if this is the same shoe with a different number, and that is why they sent it to me, or if it is a different shoe entirely. Both numbers were on the box, but the shoes say W940WB2.

The shoe (size 7) fits just right. It is comfortable to wear, lightweight, and breathable. Ideally, there would be more lightweight cushioning on the heel. I have always been pleased with the quality of New Balance shoes, and this one did not let me down.

The styling is subdued and good looking (purple). I highly recommend the shoe.

Dragon Dictate for Mac 4.0
Dragon Dictate for Mac 4.0
Price: Click here to see our price
32 used & new from $109.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Small Bugs Add Up to Annoying Problems, May 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you evaluate Dragon NaturallySpeaking solely on its ability to take the words that you speak and transcribe them into text, then I think five stars is appropriate here. The software is amazingly accurate and I rarely have to go back and correct text. However, when you do have to correct text, things get messy. For example, if I try to insert a quotation into an existing sentence, the program, for some reason, places the words outside of the quotes. It is bizarre. There are lots of little bugs like this (as mentioned by other reviewers). I was interested in the new transcription that is supposed to allow you to accurately transcribe an audio file. So far, though, I have had no success at all. It keeps telling me: "This file has insufficient audio for the type of training that this profile requires." These are mp3 files that are several minutes long. I will have to update this review if I ever manage to get it working.

In summary, I'd say that this software (like previous iterations) has some bugs, but overall, it is a great addition to my workflow. Would I recommend buying it? Yes. The four stars reflect my impression of its accuracy. Would I recommend upgrading from version three? Probably not until they work out the bugs.

Vornado PCO300 Silverscreen Enhanced HEPA Air Purifier
Vornado PCO300 Silverscreen Enhanced HEPA Air Purifier
Price: $399.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Looks, Lackluster Performance, May 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Vornado PCO300 Silverscreen Enhanced HEPA Air Purifier is a gorgeous device that shares the same kind of design elements found in other Vornado products, so you get a sense that they are really putting a lot of effort into having their product line unified. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working. It's difficult to say how you would measure such a thing, but we can leave it on all day after cooking something with no change in the air quality. Our old Rabbit air purifier, though, seems to clean the air in a few hours. This is just anecdotal, of course, but I cannot detect any improvement. In addition, it attracts a lot of dust to that beautiful black surface.

Other reviewers have obviously come away more impressed with its effectiveness, so maybe I am just missing something here, and after a few more months of using it I might revise this review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20