Profile for Christopher Mayo > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 278

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Christopher Mayo RSS Feed (the Universe)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Corel VideoStudio Ultimate X8
Corel VideoStudio Ultimate X8
Price: $86.24
18 used & new from $82.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and Relatively Easy-to-Learn, May 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For someone coming from iMovie, I found the interface understandable, and much easier to use than Apple. I've done some very basic trimming of videos and minor manipulation of the contents before, but nothing advanced. It was a little rough at first, but I was pretty quickly able to get up to speed and use some of the more advanced features. I'd recommend this for anyone starting out, but from what I can tell, it would also be appropriate for relatively advanced users. I'd give it five stars if the learning curve wasn't so steep. It still seems like more could be done to help out beginners who are new to the product.

Comvita Manuka Honey Propolis Elixir, 6.76 Fluid Ounce
Comvita Manuka Honey Propolis Elixir, 6.76 Fluid Ounce
Price: $14.99
5 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The nice thing about this is that instead of using them ..., March 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I use manuka honey and propolis elixir for my throat in the winter. The nice thing about this is that instead of using them separately (a spoonful of tasty manuka honey and a couple squirts of the foul tasting propolis), they are both together, and the unpleasantness of the propolis is gone.

Amazon Protective Cover for Kindle Voyage, Royal
Amazon Protective Cover for Kindle Voyage, Royal
Price: $44.99
8 used & new from $29.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of All Amazon Kindle Cases IF You Don't Mind a Few Extra Grams, January 11, 2015
The Origami case for the Kindle Voyage is a tad bit on the heavy side, which is probably because it uses a lot of magnets--magnets for the cover to work properly and magnets to hold the Kindle in the shell. When it arrived, I was very disappointed, and planned to send it back the next day. I thought Amazon had really messed up with this monstrosity! But, not wanting to use the Kindle naked, I put it on until the replacement arrived.

Weeks later, it's still on. I've owned all of the Kindles since the second version (including the DX) and had all of the Amazon cases. This is the best one I've ever had, even though I kind of wonder if I'd been better off going for something a bit more subdued than the greenish yellow "Citron" (I posted this there, but it shows up for some reason as a review for the purple case, which I don't own).

There is one reason the case works so well for me: I have always enjoyed reading without holding my books. I set it up on the kitchen table and can read for hours over breakfast, or set it up on the table at a coffee shop while reading and freely taking notes. It's pure pleasure. Up until now, I've been using Kindles in conjunction with my BookGem stand (best book stand ever made), but now I can use that exclusively with my iPad, whose folding cover is slick, but won't let it stand up like the Kindle in portrait mode. I've also discovered that the origami case works wonderfully in bed as well, because it props up on its side at the perfect angle. As for protection, this thing is much more solid than any other Kindle case I've owned.

You may not like this if you want to hold your Kindle while reading because of its weight and the weight distribution, though you could easily slip it in and out of its magnetic holster to read it in its birthday suit -- the case is not so heavy until you pick up the feather-weight Kindle and realize that whatever weight Amazon shaved off the device it shifted over to the case. In addition, if you don't like opening the case like a communicator from the old Star Trek shows (this is actually fun every time for me), then go for something else. Finally, I should mention that my fears about the magnets erasing credit cards or computer drives have so far been unnecessary. Between the magnets in my iPad + case and the magnets in this case for the Kindle I may be messing with compasses in the room :)

Moshi iVisor Screen Protector for Kindle Voyage
Moshi iVisor Screen Protector for Kindle Voyage
Price: $29.99
7 used & new from $6.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect I You Don't Mind Shiny, January 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been pleased with Moshi products in the past, and I think this screen protector lives up to Moshi's reputation for excellence, but with one caveat: as so many other reviewers have mentioned, it is shiny.

It is quite thick, fits the Kindle perfectly, is completely clear, and there isn't a single bubble. This is what I was looking for with it, so I am quite pleased. I don't read outside so much, I read inside at an angle that is unaffected by the lights, and I read at night, so the reflectivity isn't a big deal to me; hence, the five stars.

However, one of the selling points of the Kindle is it's readability in any lighting conditions, even direct sunlight. Why Moshi would make a product that would completely undermine the Kindle in this way is a mystery to me. Did they not read or view any of the Amazon advertisements over the last few years? Kindle owners who bought the Kindle to read outside had better stay away from this product.

Epson Home Cinema 3500 1080p, HDMI, lens shift, 3LCD, 2500 Lumens color and white brightness, home theater projector
Offered by iElectrica Inc
Price: $1,425.00
12 used & new from $1,075.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded Expectations, December 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I haven't had much experience with projectors, but judging by the quality of the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3500 1080 Widescreen, HDMI, 3LCD, 2500 Lumens color brightness, 2500 lumens White Brightness, Projector I've been missing out on all this time. I'm coming from the perspective of a 42" flat screen TV, which I was quite pleased with until I turned on the projector. Even against a flat white wall, it beats my TV hands down. It's not just the size, but the crisp resolution and the beautiful colors. I've read in the past about projectors that were criticized for being too dim, and I've certainly used my fair share of them with presentations, but I think Epson has overcome that obstacle here.

It seems durable to me, though surprisingly heavy. I think you'll want to be careful if you intend to mount this on a ceiling. This isn't a complaint, by any means, but it must be packed with a lot of stuff for such a small thing to weigh this much. It is easy to set up and use. My only concern is the durability of the light, but I suppose it will outlast any TV I purchase, so I guess that is a relatively minor concern.

Normally, when I do reviews, I try to point out the pros and cons of a device. I cannot find any cons at this point -- it has far exceeded my expectations, which might be because I've read so many lukewarm tech blog postings on projectors over the years and/or because Epson has raised the bar with this one. Either way, I doubt anyone will be disappointed by it.

Incipio Journal Cover for Kindle Voyage, Black
Incipio Journal Cover for Kindle Voyage, Black
Price: $29.99
3 used & new from $16.97

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So Cover for a Great Product, December 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Incipio Journal Cover for Kindle Voyage, Black is a lot lighter than the official Kindle cover, but it is clearly not the same level of quality, and I don't think it is worth the price. It's true that it doesn't shut off your Kindle when you close the cover, but that isn't a big deal, because the Kindle will automatically shut off anyhow. The elastic bands and the unnecessary thickness bugged me. This doesn't even live up to the Amazon cover for the paperwhite, which is an old item.

I'd recommend springing for the official cover. It is heavy, yes, and I am not a big fan of so many magnets, but it really works well -- protecting the device, looking good, and providing a stand. This cover by Incipio barely accomplishes the first objective, so it gets three stars, because there is nothing impressive here.

Sony AZ1VR/W Action Camera Mini Kit with Live View Remote
Sony AZ1VR/W Action Camera Mini Kit with Live View Remote
Price: $348.00
36 used & new from $214.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, November 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Sony AZ1VR/W Action Camera Mini Kit with Live View Remote is a pretty good camera with no particular shortcomings, but when you consider the competition, it might be a difficult choice.

PROS
- Pretty tough. It gets banged around a bit, but no problems so far.
- Water. I haven't tried it, but it says it can handle water, so that is good to know. It isn't, though, for underwater filming.
- It's tiny and lightweight. Actually, it's amazing, and this is its strongest feature compared to the GoPro.

CONS
- The wristband is pretty bulky and the range isn't all that far; I'm not terribly keen on it. Theoretically, you could control 5 of these, but would you? Maybe I need to get some drones.
- It's a bit of a pain to move files around. I guess now that so much on smart phones works seamlessly, having to mess around with cables seems antiquated.
- Battery. It is very short-lived, but I guess that is the price you pay for the size.
- Where is the SD card?

SUMMARY
- It's pretty good and about what you would expect from Sony at this price. The size and the remote on the wrist seems to be the differentiating factor, and if these are important to you, then you'll want to seriously consider it.

DeLonghi AC150 Energy Star Air Purifier with Ionizer, 150 Square Feet
DeLonghi AC150 Energy Star Air Purifier with Ionizer, 150 Square Feet
Offered by HPP Enterprises
Price: Click here to see our price
12 used & new from $207.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, But Priced Poorly, October 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The DeLonghi AC150 Energy Star Air Purifier with Ionizer, 150 Square Feet is a great product and I've got no complaints about it, but you'll want to think about the cost / coverage ratio.

HARDWARE
No problems so far with it. I loathe LED lights on stuff, because it means you can't use it in your bedroom at night, and they are just annoying. But, DeLonghi wisely gave users the options to turn these off. I wish other manufacturers would do the same with their products. Otherwise, there isn't much to say. It is a little bit stocky, but not terribly bulky. It runs quietly, and it seems to be doing something.

THE PROBLEM
The problem is that I cannot figure out if it is working very well. It turns out that 150 square feet is a really, really small space. Perhaps it is our vaulted ceilings that is throwing it off, but I think the only place where it is really going to be able to circulate all of the air might be the bathroom or closets, where it is in a small, closed-off space. For some reason, the Vornado air purifier (175 feet of coverage) we have seems to be a lot more powerful for about the same money.

SUMMARY
There is nothing bad to say about the unit itself. In fact, it seems quite nice. It's just that it is terribly underpowered for the price, and I think to cover our condo we'd need 7 or 8 of them. If you've got a small space, this is the unit for you, but if you live in a large space, or have vaulted ceilings, you might want to consider something that is more cost effective.

Oster BVSTKT7098-000 7-Cup Illuminating Glass Kettle, 1.7-Liter
Oster BVSTKT7098-000 7-Cup Illuminating Glass Kettle, 1.7-Liter
Price: $49.99
3 used & new from $39.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Glass Is Nice / Could Do Without the Lights, September 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Oster Kettle seemed kind of gimmicky with its transparent glass and lights. But, I was interested in it because there was no heating element inside, so I thought it might stay cleaner over time.

What I discovered is that when I can see inside, it reminds me to clean it, and now I am a lot more careful to regularly empty the water and wipe it down. I've been pretty happy with this aspect of it, and plan to stick with glass kettles in the future. I could do without the lights, but they don't hurt anything. Maybe if you live in a man-cave or something, you'll appreciate the extra illumination.

JAM Transit Wireless Headphones (Black) HX-HP420BK
JAM Transit Wireless Headphones (Black) HX-HP420BK
Price: $39.43
15 used & new from $26.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-Designed and Blocks Noise, August 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The HMDX HX-HP420BK Jam Transit Wireless Headphones, Black seem very well designed for such an inexpensive product. Surprisingly, they even blocked out a significant amount of sound. They are easy to pair through Bluetooth with your music player (I have an iPod). They come pre-charged (not a big deal for me), so you could potentially open the box, pair them, put them on your head, and go out for a run in about 2 minutes! It has a built-in mic, so you can talk on it if you want to take a call. My only complaint, and the reason I gave it 4 stars, is that the headphones don't quite fit my tiny ears. They work OK, but there is pressure on the top of my ears, and they seem to be made for people with a different head shape. More adjust-ability would be welcome.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20