Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale
Profile for Shala Kerrigan > Reviews

Browse

Shala Kerrigan's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1552
Top Reviewer Ranking: 189

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shala Kerrigan "Glitter it and call it art." RSS Feed (Anchorage, Alaska)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Nature's Charm Sweetned Condensed Coconut Milk, 11.25 Oz. (Pack of 6)
Nature's Charm Sweetned Condensed Coconut Milk, 11.25 Oz. (Pack of 6)
Offered by Yummy Treats and Gifts
Price: $23.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, beautiful, non-dairy fudge ingredient, February 10, 2016
Opening the can, this is thick, viscous, shiny and slightly translucent. You get a good coconut smell that's very fresh and more intense than coconut oil.

The flavor is fantastic. It's sweetened just enough. It adds a great coconut flavor to things. I used it with cocoa powder, to add a spoonful at a time to oatmeal and it's good that way.

In my favorite easy fudge recipe? This stuff is fantastic. The recipe is super simple, a can of sweetened condensed milk, a bag of semi sweet chocolate chips, heat milk, melt in chips, add a pinch of salt and a dash of vanilla, spread into a buttered 8x8 pan (coconut oil is fine instead of butter if you want to keep it vegan), chill until set. The fudge came out incredibly smooth and creamy.

Free product provided for reviewing. This is my experience and opinion.

E Guittard 63% Extra Dark Chocolate Chip, 11.5-Ounce (Pack of 4)
E Guittard 63% Extra Dark Chocolate Chip, 11.5-Ounce (Pack of 4)
Offered by ToysNGamesEtc
Price: $20.07
13 used & new from $15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite semi-sweet chocolate chip, February 8, 2016
Generally I prefer chopping up good chocolate bars for recipes, but sometimes the convenience of chips is worth the sacrifice in flavor as long as they are good quality chips. These are my favorite semi-sweet chip.

What makes these chips a winner for my recipes is that it's decent quality chocolate, not too sweet and doesn't have the mysterious "natural flavors" which covers a wide range of things. It's just cocao beans (cocoa and cocoa butter from the whole beans), sugar, sunflower lecithin (instead of the more common soy lecithin) and real vanilla. They are processed on the same machinery they use for their milk chocolate so there is probably a trace of milk. They melt beautifully and have a good flavor that everyone in my family enjoys.

Lucien Piccard Men's LP-10660A-RG-01 Loft Analog Display Automatic Self Wind Black Watch
Price: $119.00
3 used & new from $115.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Very attractive, February 7, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This autowind watch is lovely. It's big, solid, following the current trend of larger faces. It comes with a set of clear instructions for people who've never owned an self-wind watch before, and for people who like the look of mechanicals but tend to overwind, automatic self-wind are a great option. The mainspring winds with regular movement and you start them by waving them back and forth a few times.

The movement is easy to see, the face is clear and easy to read, the crystal is very clear and the rose gold color is truly rose and not pink. The hands are luminous, but not very bright in the dark. It's very quiet. The details are nice. The tiny outer ring of numerals marks seconds and minutes, the main ring marks hours. The movement is visible from both the front and back, and it's steel in contrast with the rose gold.

While the watch case says it's water resistant, the strap is a smooth finished leather that could be ruined by submersion.

The watch comes in a gorgeous presentation box if you're looking at this as a gift.

The movement is not marked as being Swiss or Japanese, and I do expect some loss. If you don't wear a watch daily, you might want to get an automatic winder. I have a vintage one that belonged to my grandfather, but not his watch so it's nice to have it in use again.

Ash vs Evil Dead
Ash vs Evil Dead
Price: $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure fun, February 5, 2016
This review is from: Ash vs Evil Dead (Amazon Video)
I loved this so much.
It's classic Raimi/Tapert but with all the things they've learned since they started making films and a decent budget to work use, so the effects were a lot better than the classic films and there was some serious gross out moments if you like it over the top gory and gross.

The Classic, Ash Williams, Deadites, witty repartee, great effects, spewing blood, it was fun, it was silly, it was utterly unbelievable yet very well done. It's wonderful to see everyone doing what they do absolutely best.

Rose Gold-Plated Sterling Silver Square-Cut Bezel-Set Cubic Zirconia 5.5mm Stud Earrings (1.3 cttw)
Price: $15.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic, simple with a nice amount of sparkle, February 1, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Color and finish on these is very nice. My pair had no visible flaws in the finish. The color is a nice true rose and not the more pink that some plated jewelry can be.

The measurements- these are quarter inch square on the face. The posts are a full half inch long, so I have to wear these with my hair pinned up or it gets caught. The posts are fine and strong.

Nice amount of sparkle, and a perfect pair of day time business wear earrings. The balance is just right between the low profile setting and the size and cut of the cubic zirconia. This pair of costume earrings reminds me a lot of the kind of jewelry my mom would wear when she wanted to make a quiet impression. Very classic looking.

The box is massive for the size of the earrings, and it's a nicely made gift/presentation box. I like Amazon collection packaging very much.

Conair Quick Twist Hair Braider
Conair Quick Twist Hair Braider
Price: $18.69
28 used & new from $14.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Hair plying quickly, February 1, 2016
I've been wanting one of these for a while now. I do twisted rope braids in my just past waist length hair pretty regularly and the of something that would do the twist evenly and quicker than I could by spinning hair around my fingers was inviting.

So first- this is not a "braid" with an over under pattern. If you're a spinner, you'll recognize that it plies hair. You put a spin into two chunks of hair with the machine, then twist that. While it does come with hair elastics, a lot of the time the friction and tension between the different spins can hold it in place without elastics if you're using smaller sections of hair. The hair is being twisted one direction with the braider, then you twist the two strands together in the opposite direction.

It is quicker and more even than doing it by hand, with less likelihood of tangling in extra hair because it's easier to hold at a distance from the rest of my hair and working from the ends up- generally when I do it by hand I twist a few inches at a time and more free hair is hanging while I'm twisting starting from closer to the top.

The only time it seems to tangle in my hair is if I over twist.

This is great for quick accent braids, and you can easily add ribbons to your hair styles with it. Be very careful again not to overtwist so the ribbons don't get tangled in your hair. Practice first with plain hair so you know how long to twist for your length, texture and the amount of hair you're twisting. Smaller sections take a second or two longer.

It takes 2 AA batteries which are not included. Included are some small clips and cloth cover hair elastics and inexpensive ribbons. If you want to secure your braids with a nice look, I'd recommend the small rubber/silicone type elastics or even embroidery thread rather than using the included elastics.

I'm happy with it. It does exactly as expected.

Honor 5X Metal Body Unlocked Smartphone - Silver 16GB (U.S. Warranty)
Honor 5X Metal Body Unlocked Smartphone - Silver 16GB (U.S. Warranty)
Price: $199.99
2 used & new from $199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful display and good processing speed, January 29, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Unboxing this, it's gorgeous. Lightweight, sturdy feeling build, nice big screen. Sleek, really, really sleek. It takes about 1.5-2 hours to charge fully. The battery will last all day with normal use.

My network is a local company and I checked to make sure it was GSM. I put the sim card in the phone and it worked perfectly.

The cameras are 13mp for the rear camera and 5 mp for the front camera, so you can get decent photos with it. It's not as good as a dedicated camera of course, but more than sufficient for daily photos and videos. It snaps pictures quickly in most lighting, and has different modes that are easy to access. I like how it does with close up photos of things like food and crafts, but it also does well with the bigger photos that I need to take at work.

Fast load, and it works with a few apps open at a time. It's the first phone I've had that really does work as a full time substitute for my tablet for working because it has a good enough screen and it's large enough to run the apps I need for my job. I wouldn't want to read a book on it, or watch a full length movie, but for day to day needs it works great.

Expandable memory can go up to 128 gbs. I have a 64 gb micro-sd in it now. Saving and loading data to/from the card is fast and easy.

Because the battery case can't be opened, and it needs to be serviced professionally, the sim cards and sd cards have their own slots. The phone comes with a small needle pointed tool to open the slots and they are secure once they are in there. Keep the tool someplace it won't get lost so you can get back to your cards if necessary.

I've been using it for about a week now, and it's been a joy. A solid performer with the higher end features like a fantastic display and good processing speed that I need.

One thing- this doesn't come with a manual. It's pretty intuitive because Android is very easy to use.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2016 9:47 AM PST

PandaHall Elite Brass Bell Charms Antique Silver Size 15x11mm about 10pcs/bag
PandaHall Elite Brass Bell Charms Antique Silver Size 15x11mm about 10pcs/bag
Offered by PandaHall Elite
Price: $14.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Very detailed and pretty little decorative bells, January 27, 2016
These are beautifully detailed silvertone bell charms.
The shape is classic and they all have movable clappers in them- but they are purely decorative. If you use them on earrings they won't drive you to distraction ringing all day.

To use them in jewelry, you'll also want to get matching jump rings. The holes are well finished and will accept any size of jewelry making jump ring but I'd recommend smaller ones.

They are also in great scale to work as doll house miniatures. Make a handle with polyclay then glue it with epoxy for extra security.
Free product provided for reviewing. This is my experience and opinion.

PandaHall Elite 6mm About 400Pcs Tiny Satin Luster Glass Pearl Round Beads Assortment Lot for Jewelry Making Round Box Kit White
Offered by PandaHall Elite
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely finished, great value, very white glass pearls, January 27, 2016
These are just lovely. I've bought a lot of glass pearls over the years and these are some of my favorites.
They are in between craft grade and Swarovski glass pearls in quality, with better finished holes than a lot of the mid range brands that I've used in the past. Sometimes the finish on glass pearls can pool at the holes and create a small ridge which can be sanded off easily enough with a nail file. These had very little of that.

The color is a bright white with a nice sheen. The holes are large enough for standard head pins and anything down to about 20 gauge wire.

The screw top container is great. It keeps them corralled and can be re-used. It has good threading.

I'd recommend these for costume jewelry, small crowns and hair accessories. A simple strand with a locket strung on beading cable would make a nice small necklace for a young lady as well. The 6 mm size is dainty, sweet and a very standard size. It also works well for wire and chain necklaces or rosaries.

So why 5 stars when Swarovski pearls are better quality? Value. They are considerably less for close to the same effect.

Free product provided for reviewing. This is my experience and opinion.

Ipow 48 Assorted Color Marco Raffine Drawing Art Colored Pencils Supplies with Roll UP Washable Canvas Pencil Bag Pouch Wrap Set for Artist Sketch, 2 Direction Buckle for Different Usage
Offered by Ipow Official
Price: $27.89
2 used & new from $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bandolier style case for these reliable budget pencils, January 26, 2016
I'm really happy with these pencils.

Raffine pencils layer and blend well, they sharpen easily and have a nicely creamy finish. They are better than student grade pencils and a lot better than school grade pencils and very affordable. If you do too many layers or press too hard it can look waxy, but that's typical for this style of pencil. They are well pigmented so you don't need to lay down a heavy layer.

The belt/case for this pencil set works well. You can strap it around yourself to have a bandolier belt of pencils, but that's not really convenient. I like being able to hang my pencils by where I'm working and pull them out one at a time, then when I'm done coloring, just roll it up and put it away.

I love the quality and how affordable Raffines are and have recommended them a lot. I recommend this set to people who are getting their first set because of the case, which is well made and provides easy access and a way to keep their pencils together neatly.

My experience: I'm a coloring book illustrator and multimedia artist.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20