Profile for Shala Kerrigan > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 132

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shala Kerrigan "Glitter it and call it art." RSS Feed (Anchorage, Alaska)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Nature Valley Simple Roasted Peanut Nut Bar, Honey, 4 Count (Pack of 12)
Nature Valley Simple Roasted Peanut Nut Bar, Honey, 4 Count (Pack of 12)
Offered by Mi Antojito Latino
Price: $85.50
2 used & new from $79.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!, July 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are sticky. You'll want to leave the wrappers on them while you're eating and just pull it down bite by delicious bite.

Flavor- I love these. Nutty, mostly peanut, and I can taste the sunflower seeds too. I can't taste the almond. It just blends into the other flavors. Very lightly salted, just sweet enough.

Since I love the flavor, and they are high fiber, high protein and fairly low carb for a sweet snack, the stickiness is a non-issue. I'll be buying them in the future.

Cthulhu Tiki Mug "Investigator" Gift Pack
Cthulhu Tiki Mug "Investigator" Gift Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Your cup is staring at me, June 22, 2015
I love this cup so much, I use it daily. The details are incredible. It keeps the spirit of a tiki cup while being a great creepy representaion of Cthulhu. It's nice and big- it holds about 2 cups of liquid and it's 7.5 inches tall. The shiny glaze is dishwasher and microwave safe but because there isn't a handle- use a potholder to get it out of the microwave. This is a great gift for the Lovecraft fan in your life.

Vanilla Essential Oil By Scential Health 15ml (.5oz) 100% Certified Pure Vanilla Oil. Therapeutic Grade. This Is Pure Vanilla Essential Oil With No Fillers, Bases or Additives Or Carrier Oils.
Offered by HealthBiz Direct Inc.
Price: $18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this!, June 20, 2015
I'm wild for this vanilla. If you've been looking for a good vanilla scent that is completely authentic without a heavy alcohol smell, this is it. I don't like vanilla fragrance oils because they don't get the scent quite right- it comes out more like a vanilla flavored candy than having the complexity of good vanilla. Using vanilla extract works, but has a lot of alcohol to it and dissipates quickly.

This oil is perfect, it's an essential oil, so it is pure, authentic vanilla. It doesn't smell like candy, it's a warm, inviting scent. I like it in diffusers and mixed into a carrier oil to wear as a fragrance. It lasts a long time, doesn't have much throw, and works amazingly well as a base for floral or citrus e.o.s as a fragrance. I also added some to my bug spray (citronella, peppermint, lavender) and it helped mellow the scent while still being very effective.

I got this at no charge for review purposes. This is my honest opinion and experience.

Coffee-mate Coffee Creamer, Hazelnut Table-Top Pump Bottle, 625ml, 21.1 Ounce (Pack of 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sticky sweet, nicely nutty, June 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I brew flavor into good quality coffee by adding ground roasted hazelnuts, real Ceylon cinnamon or vanilla beans then add real cream and raw cane sugar, so I'm not the target audience for flavored creamer. It's hard to beat real flavors, and this tastes hazelnut flavored, not like hazelnut coffee if that makes sense.

My family loves this stuff though, it's quick, it's easy and it's right there. You need to remember to push the pump down completely every time or it can get jammed and clogged up. The flavor is nutty and a bit sweet. Less sweet than a lot of the other Coffee-mate coffee creamers and it doesn't have the faintly alcoholic flavor that's in the vanilla.

As far as calories, a tsp of sugar has 16 calories, a Tbsp of half and half has 20. My daughter generally is 2 sugars and cream which would be 52 calories, she's happy with 2 pump of this which is 50, but if you wanted whiter or sweeter coffee it adds up fast at 25 calories per pump.

Nice treat, and not too sweet to add to cocoa. It's the same stuff that's on the counters at convenience stores, if you like it there, you'll enjoy it in your home as well.

DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable, Cleaning, Drying, Utility Bar Mop Multi Use Dishtowel, Set of 4, Warm
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a basic bar towel in great colors, June 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was a bartender, and my husband is a housekeeper who has also worked as a purchaser for a large luxury hotel. So this review reflects that experience.

The weave and nap of these bar mops is nice. It's a low loop that won't snag or shed easily. The edges are nicely finished, it's a smooth weave that's folded over and hemmed. They are nicely absorbent cotton. The size is just right for a bar mop- meant to clean up spills, a little smaller than a regular dishtowel, but larger than a paper towel. These are meant to be used much the same way you'd use paper towels to clean up small messes, rather then to dry dishes. They do work to dry things like glasses or smaller items without shedding.

I like the colors quite a bit, and in my kitchen, they are actually being used to clean small messes and to completely dry cast iron after it's rinsed. They dry quite quickly and wash well.

Sunridge Farms Rainbow Drops, Milk Chocolate Candies (10 Lb)
Sunridge Farms Rainbow Drops, Milk Chocolate Candies (10 Lb)
Offered by Eternity Essentials
Price: $82.60
2 used & new from $82.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Very sweet, the chocolate center is really good- great in recipes, June 11, 2015
My family was crazy about M&Ms but I'm less crazy about the ingredients. These are a great alternative.

The chocolate is decent, it has cane sugar, real vanilla and whole milk powder in the ingredients. It also has a small amount of soy lecithin as emulsifier and to add smoothness to the mouth feel. The candy coating is also made with cane sugar, and the colors are vegetable juice colorings.

The result is a candy that is sweeter than M&Ms- almost too sweet but great in cookies if you cut back the sugar in the recipe by a couple spoonfuls. The crunch is there and it's a nice snapping crunch. The chocolate is much better tasting and smoother. The colors are muted compared to M&Ms, but they are still bright enough. They will not stain mouths or hands the same way as the other candy.

My chocolate fanatic daughter prefers these, my husband doesn't like to eat them out of hand but will devour cookies made with them.

From a Drood to A Kill: A Secret Histories Novel
From a Drood to A Kill: A Secret Histories Novel
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding Molly and himself- one of my favorites in this series, June 4, 2015
I love Simon Green's books. He writes larger then life characters, lots of sarcasm, some serious social commentary but in a non-preachy way that's easy to read. He's also, as far as I'm concerned, the best pulp writer in the business. You can see the influence of early pulp fiction and even earlier Penny Dreadfuls on every page but in a good way because he really does know how to craft a sentence. If a picture is worth 1000 words, he can do it in 750 and make you see it like a movie in your mind. His romances are based on mutual respect, integral to the story and his women are strong partners. So I'm a fan.

This series is one of my favorites, right up there with Blue Moon and Deathstalker. You can see the spy movie influence turned sideways with all the fantastic details he does so well. So I was eager for this book, the continuing story of Molly and Eddie.

This is probably the hardest book I've ever read by Simon Green. Not because it was bad, but because it was very, very good and explored loss in a very real way among the monsters and magic.

*SPOILER ALERT*
If you've read Tales of the Hidden World, you know that Uncle Jack (the series equivalent of James Bond's Q) has passed away. In the course of the story, which has Eddie seeking out Molly after she disappears mysteriously, he also comes to terms with losing the member of the family who is most like a father to him.

I recently lost my dad, and it was gut-wrenching to read it. There were so many thoughts and feelings that I identified with, so it took longer than usual to finish the book.

I'm glad I did, and there were moments that help set up what's going to happen in the next few books. All of these books so far have a clear story that is finished. If there is a cliffhanger ending, it's to set up the next book. I don't recommend reading them as standalones, but a series can be read by itself. Because he's built a world that has references to past and future characters, it's richer if you've read all those books too, but it's not necessary.

Sterling Silver Checkerboard Cushion Blue Topaz and Round Created White Sapphire Pendant Necklace, 18"
Price: $56.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Dainty and pretty, a small touch of classic sparkle, June 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Amazon Collection items come gorgeously packaged for gift giving in sturdy black matte boxes around black matte hinged box with beveled edges, a lot of time the packaging seems a bit large for what's enclosed.

This necklace is gorgeous, delicate with a lot of sparkle. It's on the small side- a little bit of sparkle, prefect for daily wear. The blue stands up well to the blue in a vintage good quality blue topaz ring I have, and the created white sapphires make a nice frame for it. The bail is nicely finished with white sapphires too.

The chain is very fine and it's a good weight with the pendant, but since the bail size is fairly large, you could replace it with a thicker chain easily. I'll be replacing it with a slightly longer chain so it falls just above my favorite necklace. The lobster clasp is easy to operate, but because the ring end of the clasp is a tab with a small hole it it, it might be tricky for some people.

Healing Herbs: A Beginner's Guide to Identifying, Foraging, and Using Medicinal Plants / More than 100 Remedies from 20 of the Most Healing Plants
by Tina Sams
Edition: Flexibound
Price: $16.06
67 used & new from $10.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book for beginners, lots of good recipes and great photos, June 1, 2015
I'm a big fan of foraging and using the things that grow wild around my neighborhood, so this is a book that I was very interested in reading.

Healing Herb's- A Beginner's Guide to Identifying, Foraging and Using Medicinal Plants is a lovely collection that's great for beginners because it covers easily identifiable plants and has recipes and tips for using them. Tina Sams has a blog and a magazine called The Essential Herbal and is very knowledgeable in her field. The photographs in this book are clear and gorgeous.

Starting with my favorite- dandelions, which are close to the end of the book.

The dandelion chapter is being used as my example of why this is a great book because I really love dandelions.

Each chapter starts with some history and scientific information about the plant, along with the medicinal uses. Then it gets into recipes! The recipes included are ways to incorporate easily found "weeds" into your skin care regime and diet.

Recipes include an infused skin care oil, dandelion fritters, dandelion root cocoa, a tea for PMS symptoms, green eggs and an infused vinegar.

I love the way this book is laid out, and the flowers and plants chosen for inclusion. There are recipes I've never tried before like gulkand, an uncooked rose petal preserve. The book includes things that can be found in your yard like plantain and dandelions, and a lot of things that can be easily grown or ordered if they don't grow wild in your area. For example, lavender doesn't grow easily here, but there is so much wild chamomile in my neighborhood that I've never even considered planting it in my yard. Raspberries grow wild up here, but I also have my own little thicket.

There were some things not included, so I'm hoping for a sequel that will have recipes for things like shepherd's purse and spruce tips, but I'm really happy with what is included.

If you're someone just getting into foraging and wild crafting, this is a lovely book full of great photos, information and recipes. If you're more experienced and have a good library already, this may not have any new information for you but it's still a very pretty book.
Complimentary copy received for review on my craft blog.

Cuisipro Fine Rasp V-Grater, Stainless Steel
Cuisipro Fine Rasp V-Grater, Stainless Steel
Offered by The Kitchen Clique
Price: $27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice size to work with, grates food very well, May 31, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This large fine rasp is probably going to replace my microplane in most instances because it is bigger, very sharp and easy to handle.

It's a single direction grater, but long enough to get a lot of material in one swipe. The blades are well designed and cut well. The fine grate is ideal for zesting citrus fruit, grating horseradish or ginger or to make light fluffy mounds of Parmesan. The teeth are fairly shallow, so instead of small strips, it's almost like a shave which means better zesting, more surface area per ounce for horseradish and ginger and hard cheeses come out very fluffy and light and melt on contact with hot food.

It's nicely weighted, and works best holding the handle in one hand with the other end on your cutting board. The size keeps it pretty stable with a firm grip and the V shape creates a wedge in your food for fast grating that doesn't slip around.

Waste seems about the same as with a standard fine grater.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20