Profile for Shala Kerrigan > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 145

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shala Kerrigan "Glitter it and call it art." RSS Feed (Anchorage, Alaska)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tinksky Delicate Wedding Bridal Prom Shining Crystal Rhinestones Crown Tiara Headband (Silver)
Offered by ubestsky
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Every excuse to wear a tiara, July 31, 2015
This pretty little tiara is about 1/3 of a circle, and has loops on both ends that you can attach ribbons, elastic or hair pins to secure it into place- but I didn't find that necessary to wear it.

It says proms or weddings, but I wanted a tiara to wear for fun- and this one is perfect. With some gentle pressure, you can lightly shape it a bit tighter or a bit looser to fit your head. It won't take a drastic change of shape, but a couple millimeters isn't a problem. The loops are soldered so they don't snag hair, and I didn't have any problems with any of the rhinestone settings grabbing my hair either.

The quality is wonderful, it's substantial enough that it won't deform easily, and it's got a lot of sparkle. The size is small enough to be a pretty accent- but people definitely know you're wearing a tiara!

I wore it out, just shopping and doing day to day life stuff and it was so much fun. It's comfortable and didn't bother me once it was on, but I didn't forget about either. People were smiling, coming up to me and telling me it was a pretty tiara. The fun came in because I thought I was too grown up to want to play princess, but found out that it was still a lot of fun.

Disclosure- I got this at no cost for review purposes, wearing it to the grocery store was my choice and I'm glad I did and will again!

Rose Gold-Plated Sterling Silver Two-Tone Cubic Zirconia Heart Shaped Halo Stud Earrings (0.82 cttw)
Price: $16.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, dainty, with a quiet sparkle, July 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These earrings are really pretty and dainty. A good choice for casual wear or for a young lady.

Nice sparkle, not a huge amount of flash, just quietly sparkly. The profile is a lot more flush and seems flatter than I expected. They are about 6mm or a 1/4 inch in diameter (standard hole punch size). They come with both silicone nuts and butterfly clutch backs. The box is same kind of high quality black paperboard box with a blue ribbon that all the Amazon collection seems to be packaged in, and like the rest of the Amazon collection, the box seems absolutely huge for the jewelry.

I don't generally wear earrings because they get tangled in my hair or otherwise getting irritating. These are comfortable enough that I can forget I'm wearing them. The flush, flat setting doesn't have anything that snags my hair.

Bushnell PermaFocus Wide Angle Porro Prism Binocular
Bushnell PermaFocus Wide Angle Porro Prism Binocular
Price: $46.55 - $189.76

5.0 out of 5 stars My family has 2 pairs because they are so easy to use, July 21, 2015
Primarily my family uses binoculars to view wildlife and occasionally for star viewing, and we've owned several pairs over the years. These are our current favorites- we have 2 pairs.

The autofocus works very well with objects in the distance. I like not having to mess with anything for crystal sharp viewing. The wide angle makes it easy to scan an area to find something. Nice build on them- they feel substantial and handle regular use well.

Replace the strap, it's junk. Other than that- ready to use, no fuss magnification that works great for anything past about 20 yards in distance.

Camco 51210 Small Propane Patio Fire Pit
Camco 51210 Small Propane Patio Fire Pit
Price: $248.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice size and attractive, July 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a lot more attractive and sturdy than the photos make it appear. It's heavy, but not too heavy, and small enough to transport very easily.

I love that hose is as long as it is- you can easily set it a safe distance from the pit.

You do need to get the lava rocks set up properly before using it, but once you do, it seemed to put out a fair amount of heat. I only kept it lit for a couple minutes though because of a burn ban that's been in place since a day before getting it. The igniter worked perfectly. This is a very safe alternative to wood or charcoal fires because it can be turned on and off so easily and burns clean without sending up embers.

It's good looking, a great size for portability and puts out a good amount of heat more safely than other kinds of fire pits.

Perfect for patios, and quiet evenings with a few friends or family outside.

Meaneor Women's Island Polo Shirt Long Sleeve V Neck Slim Simple Basic T-shirt Blue XL
Offered by Meaneor
Price: $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, July 16, 2015
My daughter and I disagree about the stars on this shirt. Since I ordered it with her in mind- I went with her 5 star rating.

So the reason I would have gone 4 stars is because the sleeves are a bit on the long side, and because the fabric feels more synthetic then cotton. It's a nice silky feeling fabric, but not what how I expect cotton to feel. It's not thin, it's a jersey with some body to it.

The shirt is really attractive. The fabric has a lot of drape, and the fit is very true- the knit has a lot of stretch so if you have broad shoulders or are on the curvy side, it will fit.

The blue is gorgeous. It's just a great bright pop of color.
I got this at no cost to review- and my daughter is thrilled with it!

Meaneor Women's Cherry Floral Print 1950s Vintage Rockabilly Strap Party Dress
Meaneor Women's Cherry Floral Print 1950s Vintage Rockabilly Strap Party Dress
Offered by Meaneor
Price: $20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice looking, July 16, 2015
I had my doubts about a dress at this price point, and have had sizing issues with some imported clothing in the past. This was a very pleasant surprise.

First- it's a woven fabric, about mid-weight, and heavy enough that the skirt has a nice flair even without petticoats. It doesn't just lie limp.
The front bodice is lined with a silky fabric, the back is smocked with elastic. It is a little compressing if you are very curvy. You might want to buy a size up. The smocking makes the top very fitted before spilling out to the full skirt.The skirt is gorgeous, it really is a flattering silhouette.
At 5'4", the dress is about 2-3 inches above the knee.

It has a nice vintage flair, and it would work great as a costume or party dress. It's nicely constructed and finished.

I got the item free for reviewing- this is my honest opinion and experience.

Lodge L10CF3 5 Quart Cast Iron Covered Deep Skillet
Lodge L10CF3 5 Quart Cast Iron Covered Deep Skillet
Price: $70.83
8 used & new from $70.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Cast iron wins, July 14, 2015
My daughter got hooked on cast iron using my pans, and is starting to build her own collection. All she wanted for her 20th birthday was more cast iron. I picked this for her because of the versatility of the size and shape. This is a pan she can use to pan broil, do stir fries, cook chili or spaghetti sauce and of course, fry chicken.

It arrived in perfect shape, standard Lodge seasoning. So if you want to just go with it as is, you can. If you want to strip the seasoning and re-season, there are great instructions on the net to do that. She opted for the original seasoning, gave it a quick scalding water rinse, toweled dry, then added a couple coats of seasoning using Crisco she keeps exclusively for pan seasoning. She also fries bacon in her pans once a week to help the seasoning.

The lid has little bumps all over it, this is so condensation drips back into the pan for a self-basting effect on things like roasts. When you lift the lid after it's cooled, give it a firm shake over the pan to get the last drops off the lid.

It has both a handle and a grip to make it easy for a two handed lift.

Cast iron is fantastic for the way it heats up and retains heat, and for how non-stick it is with proper care and seasoning. I have no doubt that my daughter will be passing this pan down. She's just thrilled with it.

After Alice: A Novel
After Alice: A Novel
by Gregory Maguire
Price: $15.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, July 14, 2015
This review is from: After Alice: A Novel (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Fiction is subjective. Some people will hate this book, some people will love it. I'm firmly in the "love" side on this one.

If you have read any books by Gregory Maguire in the past, you know that they tend to be dark and have a lot of social commentary and philosophy. He also writes these little phrase gems that are delightful and completely quotable. This book isn't as dark as some of his other books, and it was a quick, easy read comparatively speaking.

It follows two characters- Ada who went down the rabbit hole, and Lydia who stayed in the real world. The Lydia side, in her interaction with Ada's governess, told some of Ada's back story but was also a second story line behind the main story. The main story was about Ada looking for Alice to take her back home, and in the process learning more about herself.

The Ada story contained recognizable elements from the original Carroll story, but slightly twisted. Less absurd and more like the sort of stream of consciousness digesting and understanding that happens in a dream. Where it doesn't quite make sense but it all connects. There are a lot of moments that just made me go "Oh!" and read back to get that particular phrase again.

The Lydia story was about her looking for Alice and Ada and the thoughts that a teenager has about everything around her. She is thoughtful, but also very selfish, so there is a lot of inner reflection but very little self-examination. I know she sounds utterly unlikable, but you realize she's just a child too, and find yourself understanding her.

It's quick, it doesn't go into the deep, rich character development you see in his other books. It's lighter in a lot of ways. I was delighted with it. Then you reach the end, and that last paragraph made me think "If the whole book had been dreck, it would be worth re-reading just for that final paragraph." It's almost like the whole Lydia story line was a contrivance to allow that last paragraph, and it was worth it.

I am going to recommend this book to other people. I already did when I was only 1/3rd of the way through it.

Derwent Drawing Pencils, Inktense, 4mm Core, Metal Tin, Watercolor, 24 Per Pack (0700929)
Price: $29.30
76 used & new from $23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic- I love how well these work, July 11, 2015
I'm absolutely thrilled with these pencils. I got them for use on fabric but first practiced on card stock. The colors were more intense than I anticipated after seeing that some people said they were just a little more intense then regular watercolor pencils. You can make very sheer layering effects by saturating your brush with water, but with a damp brush, you get bright colors that don't move at all after they've dried. So you can do one area, brush it, let it dry, then do the next without worrying about pulling color from the section you did first. The colors blend well, but test first on scrap paper.

I think I'll want a bigger set in the near future. Attached photos are a box I printed then colored using these pencils along with a blank version of the same box.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Bosch 40320 SteelTech Wiper Blade - 20" (Pack of 1)
Bosch 40320 SteelTech Wiper Blade - 20" (Pack of 1)
Price: $8.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Works nicely, July 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My family prefers metal wiper blades because they seem to do better in winter.

Attaching this took a few minutes but was fairly easy. We haven't had much rain this summer, but the one day it was raining, it wiped clean and quiet. We've had more expensive blades that didn't work as well.

I'll update this in winter if it doesn't handle melting ice well or if it cracks or break because of the cold.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20