ARRAY(0xa253206c)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 60

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shala Kerrigan RSS Feed (Anchorage, Alaska)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Neenah Premium Cardstock, 96 Brightness, 65 lb, Letter, Bright White, 250 Sheets per Pack (91904)
Price: $11.68
32 used & new from $8.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this cardstock, April 16, 2014
I design printable crafts for my blog, and have used a lot of kinds of cardstock to print my models. This is my favorite.

It's very smooth compared to most cardstocks, and the bright white color is visually to me on the warm side of bright white. It takes color, scores, cuts and folds well.

My husband even noticed how clean and beautiful this printed up. This is the brand I'm using from now on.

Eachine Black 3000mAh portable backup External battery Lip-stick power bank Charger with super bright flashlight for iphone 3 4 5 Samsung S3 S4 i9300 i9500 most Smartphones and other USB-charged devices(2 in 1 charger cable can make you charge 2 devices at the same time)
Offered by ThorFiredirect
Price: $39.99
2 used & new from $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and beautiful design, April 16, 2014
4.5 stars.
My family uses power banks on a regular basis. We use them to top off devices while we are using them so we don't have to find an outlet or hook it up to a computer.

This isn't a big power bank- at 3000 mAh, it will only half charge an iPad mini or fully charge a Kindle Paperwhite twice when it's fully charged. But it's also a small size. Not quite as small as a lipstick, but about the same size as a pocket flashlight.

Some people think having a battery that doubles as an LED flashlight is a gimmick.For my family it's really handy. We use flashlights often enough that being able to find one quickly that we know is ready to go is helpful. The light is bright enough for most uses. For taking walks in the woods, we still prefer something with a higher intensity light. But for repairs, unlocking doors and other things we use flashlights for, this works well.

It's really attractive, and the USB port is secure and USB plugs fit well. It does take longer to charge than expected. This wound up in my husband's computer bag because it does look good and doesn't take much space. The aluminum housing is nicely finished.
[The product reviewed was provided to me at no cost for the purposes of review. I received no other compensation, and my review is my honest opinion of the product.]

More Felt Friends from Japan: 80 Cuddly and Kawaii Toys and Accessories to Make Yourself
by Naomi Tabatha
Price: $11.34
46 used & new from $7.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally cute hand sewn felt toys and accessories, April 13, 2014
Felt mascots, toys appliques and accessories, all of them super cute. The projects are wonderfully photographed. Like a lot of Japanese craft books, the first part of the book is photos of items, with the instructions in the back of the book. Page numbers are given on the photos to find the instructions.

The photos are adorable. They are captioned and done on good backgrounds to show them at their best. It takes minimal supplies to make them. Craft felt for beginning sewers is an economical choice, then switching to wool felt for a higher quality finished item when you're comfortable with the hand stitching.

So with this book, before you start a project, read the tips at the END of the book. They will show

-how to do the stitches including the embroidery accents
-tell you what kind of supplies to use
-how to use a wire armature,
-how to use the patterns
-how to stuff the toys

The projects are good for a wide range of skills. There are some very easy applique projects, coasters and pouches which are perfect for beginners. They are whimsical and sweet. The Happy Coasters include a fish, a frog face and a chick, with easy embroidered accents. You might like to make the pouches and eyeglass cases as gifts.

A little more complicated are the lightly stuffed but still mostly flat Face Brooches, which are a bunch of cute animals and can be made with small scraps, the finger puppets and the charms which are strung with beads into darling hanging curtains. My favorite of those types of projects is the Little Forest Birds charms because it reminds me of the felt ornaments my Great-Aunt Elizabeth made.

The most complicated are the fully dimensional stuffed toys. These are more of a challenge because it's a small scale, but they are made using the same basic stitches, just more parts to create things like a giraffe, elephant or posable retro dolls that look like they came right off the set of an old stop motion movie. There are also dolls like Miss Kitty from the cover that have a full wardrobe you can sew for them.

Some of the patterns you'll copy out of the book, the more involved patterns are printed on the inside of the dust jacket. The diagrams in the instructions are clear and show how to put the items together.

This is a lovely book, and a must for anyone who really enjoys Japanese crafts.
[I received a complimentary copy of the book to review on my craft blog- Don't Eat the Paste. I received no other compensation, and my review is my honest opinion of the product.]

Shiva Rea: Yoga in Greece
Shiva Rea: Yoga in Greece
DVD ~ Shiva Rea
Price: $15.43
29 used & new from $9.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous setting, nice flow of movements, not for beginners, April 13, 2014
This review is from: Shiva Rea: Yoga in Greece (DVD)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not a beginner to yoga, and found this easy to follow. I wouldn't recommend it for my husband though, there isn't enough information on doing the individual poses. It's not an instructional dvd, but a workout for practitioners.

This is gorgeously filmed, with a well done non-intrusive soundtrack and a clear voiceover. The matrix allows you to pick and choose which segments you want to do. Part of where it's not good for beginners is that Shiva Rea tells you what to do to modify the exercises if you're unable to do certain parts, then goes on to do it using the more difficult poses. So if you're someone who likes to follow a dvd exactly, you may get frustrated when your body won't do that. I have a really lousy back and medical limitations, so there are parts that I did have to do the easier poses which still flowed nicely.

The poses just flow like yogic dancing. It's a nicely balanced dvd with enough variations and ways to change it up to keep it fresh. It's easy to set up your choice of salutations, meditations and flows for a complete workout that will strengthen your back and core, help your balance and improve flexibility.

Starry Lights Mini - Cool White: 20 Micro Led Battery Operated Lights on 7ft Silver Wire. Ultra-thin Strings lights for white and cold colors decorations as in modern offices with urban or high tech styles. Wedding lights. Favourites kids bedroom hanging string lights, giving a fairy light. Outdoor string lights used as garlands. Patio party twinkle lights. Starry string lights, 100% Guaranteed By Qualizzi.
Offered by Qualizzi Night & Day
Price: $30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars So pretty and useful, April 10, 2014
These lights are just gorgeous, they look like fairy lights. Not like little bulbs, because the diodes are encased in a clear epoxy or resin on a metal wire so they look like they are floating on the wire. The wire strand is long enough for a lot of creative uses, it won't self support, but around an armature you can shape the wire quite a bit.

The only thing about these that isn't absolutely dainty looking is the clear battery pack, but that's easy to cover if you're using them for crafting. I used them in a jar lantern use macrame over a blue mason jar. Making a foil pack to hold the battery pack hid the plastic and added a reflective surface. It's a pretty lamp that's just bright enough.

Do I like them enough to recommend them to friends? I have, and I've also recommended them on my blog. They are just that pretty.

Archery-4th Edition: Steps to Success
Archery-4th Edition: Steps to Success
by Kathleen Haywood
Price: $17.76
58 used & new from $13.76

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a start, April 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Archery is a hobby that I've been considering going back to, and one that my family has a strong interest in starting. So I had high hopes for this book.

It's workbook style. There are problems to solve, a strong emphasis on form and safety. There are also tips on choosing, fitting and taking care of your bow and equipment. There is an overview of bow activities that go beyond just target shooting. It explains various accessories. For buying a bow, you'll go in with a lot more information if you read this book first. I really like the emphasis on form and practice.

It also explains how to find your dominant eye, how to draw, aim and release smoothly and what accessories will help you be a more consistent archer if you use them.

It doesn't go into a lot of details about some of the activities mentioned in the introduction. Some of them, like bow fishing are mentioned in the introduction then not mentioned again. The authors also have a strong preference for recurve and compound bows that shows. Traditional archery is almost treated as a relic.

Specific popular bow types aren't explained at all. Just the 3 major families of bows without talking about variations such as compound crossbows or long bows.

The thing I like least? No formal index. There is a table of contents, but the back has a glossary but no index.

This is a mixed bag, there is some good information for beginners, but there are also some definite flaws. I'll be looking for books to help fill those gaps.

StufZ Burger Press
StufZ Burger Press
Offered by Amazing DEALS Online
Price: $10.09
26 used & new from $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Big burgers, easy to use, April 8, 2014
This review is from: StufZ Burger Press
My husband and daughter are endlessly fascinated with "As Seen on TV" things. So getting the chance to try out this burger mold was something they were both eager to do.

So I helped my daughter choose ingredients, watched her read the instructions carefully, and make the burgers. The burgers were HUGE by my standards, but perfectly sealed with all the good stuff on the inside. Since my husband and I prefer our burgers well done, she cooked them long enough to be done all the way. They turned out fantastic, with no cheese leaks. Even though I usually only eat about half that meat with dinner, everyone finished their burgers that night.

You do need to follow the instructions, but the plastic has been durable so far, and easy to clean. To prevent possible scratching we hand wash it with the same type of sponge we use on non-stick cookware.

Cooking to well-done without getting a hockey puck for a burger this big takes searing it, then cooking it on low heat until cooked through. For the skillet- we sear both sides, cover and cook on low heat until it's done. On the grill, sear both sides, then move to indirect heat using a fattier than usual type of burger, or putting a strip of bacon on top.

My daughter rates it 5 stars, my husband rates it 4 but says it's gimmicky. So split the difference at 4.5 stars. Since it is something my daughter is enthused enough about using that she makes burgers on burger nights? I'm pretty happy with it. Gimmick or not, anything that helps young people be enthused in the kitchen and helping to cook is a good thing.

Pretty Quilled Cards: 25+ Creative Designs for Greetings & Celebrations
Pretty Quilled Cards: 25+ Creative Designs for Greetings & Celebrations
by Cecelia Louie
Price: $11.52
54 used & new from $10.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Contemporary, clean and beautiful designs that are well explained, April 7, 2014
If you are a quilling enthusiast, or just getting started quilling, this book is a nice addition to a library. The author has created cards to cover a lot of occasions, and a few all occasion cards and tags with well written patterns. There are designs for Easter, Christmas, bridal showers, baby shows, housewarmings and weddings as well as components and designs that can be used for other things.

The introduction includes a list and description of tools you'll use and basic techniques and tips for working with the strips of paper. It also explains gluing the design elements in place.

Her style is uniquely clean, almost like drawing with curls, spirals and open shapes. The designs are open, spacious and stylized. Each pattern starts with a rating for difficulty. Under that is a supply list for paper, which shows how long the strips need to be and where they will be marked for folds. Great photos and instructions will help you create the designs exactly as shown.

My favorite designs are:
Songbird Greeting which would make a good housewarming card, or a card for spring or bird lovers. It features a cute bird singing on a branch with a little bird house hanging underneath.
Dragonfly All-occasion, a delicate filigree that makes a pretty and elegant dragonfly card.
Mother's Day Vases which has 3 vases with stylized flowers

All of the cards are suitable for framing, which makes them a nice gift. The end of the book includes some patterns for entertaining like a wine glass charms and place cards.

This is a lovely book, full of designs that can be used for all sorts of projects, not just cards. It's very easy to follow and one that I happily recommend.
[I received a complimentary copy of this book to review, I received no other compensation, and my review is my honest opinion of the book.]

Philips Norelco BT9285/41 9100 Beard Trimmer
Philips Norelco BT9285/41 9100 Beard Trimmer
Price: $89.97
5 used & new from $89.97

5.0 out of 5 stars No snagging or pulling, easy to clean, April 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The laser guide? That's almost completely pointless since it does move with the trimmer. It helps you eye things straight, or you can use it with a eyeliner pencil for a straight line.

I've been trimming my dad's beard for over 20 years now. He has vision issues and can't do it himself. In the time, I've used a lot of trimmers and clippers on it. This is on the better end of those, and in the price range for this series- a good value.

There are no snags or pulls on his sensitive skin, and it gets fairly close. The blades fit in to trim his mustaches above his lip very well too which has been a design issue in some trimmers. It just cuts nice and clean.

I don't use guards for trimming his beard because part of the issue with his face is a large scar on his chin that he prefers covered, but I do like to keep the guards handy for touch ups on the sides if he feels like doing them. The fact that it's only 2 guards makes it easy.

It can be rinsed clean, which is nice. Not having to poke and prod with a tiny brush to get out everything is handy. I also like the fact that the blades don't need oiling. Just let them dry completely before putting them away.

Charges well, and holds a charge for more than enough time to trim up his beard.

Paleo Workouts For Dummies
Paleo Workouts For Dummies
by Pat Flynn
Price: $15.13
51 used & new from $10.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Really mixed feelings, April 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The emphasis is on minimal equipment exercise- this is a book that will teach you all sorts of calisthenic, body weight exercises that will help you build you muscles. Unlike a really good book on calisthenics though, there is not enough emphasis on stretching and increasing flexibility.

As a "For Dummies" book, it fails in parts because some of the exercises are too advanced. I would have preferred to see more simple exercises, then a step up alternative. Even though it starts by saying that all the exercises can be done according to your own abilities- there was a lot in here that was too intimidating for me to even consider trying with my bad back.

The exercises are well described with good diagrams and photos. It's easy to follow how to do them even if some of them aren't even close to beginner level exercises.

In tandem with a book on yoga which can help improve strength, flexibility and balance but isn't the same kind of muscle builder these exercises are, you could create an at home work out that would be very effective.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20