Profile for Shala Kerrigan > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 89

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shala Kerrigan "Glitter it and call it art." RSS Feed (Anchorage, Alaska)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
QualGear  QG-TM-021-BLK Universal Ultra Slim Low Profile Articulating Wall Mounting Kit for most 23-inch to 47-inch and some 55-inch LED TVs, w/ HDMI v1.4 Cable 10 ft and 3-Axis Magnetic Bubble Level
QualGear QG-TM-021-BLK Universal Ultra Slim Low Profile Articulating Wall Mounting Kit for most 23-inch to 47-inch and some 55-inch LED TVs, w/ HDMI v1.4 Cable 10 ft and 3-Axis Magnetic Bubble Level
Offered by eHotCafé
Price: $35.00
4 used & new from $28.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Secure, safe and positioned just right, September 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My husband wanted a wall mount, and after a recent 6.2 earthquake caused our tv to fall- the timing on getting this one was perfect.
We have a 32 inch television set, and mounting it was fairly easy even though our tv is in an odd corner of our living room. The instructions were clear, and we had the necessary tools. It took my husband and I a bit over a half hour to get it mounted with only a little bit of cursing.

I love the articulation and extension. It's perfect for getting the angle right for both of us to enjoy watching tv together, but easy enough to adjust for a good gaming experience.

There was one defective bolt in our package, and it sheared off and broke even with pre-drilled holes and following the instructions carefully. After that was replaced, everything else went together just right.

The tv seems very secure, and I'll update this after our next strong earthquake.

Double Dutch Club Safari Ride 20 Inch Hardside, Elephants, One Size
Double Dutch Club Safari Ride 20 Inch Hardside, Elephants, One Size
Price: $104.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Black and white elephant pattern- love it, September 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Double Dutch Club is a Taiwanese brand that makes some very fun fashion suitcases. The one I have is the Elephants pattern (at this time the photo showing is the Sweet Pink Leopard pattern) . The Elephant pattern is little white elephants on a black background with the handles, wheels and zipper in pink. I ordered hoping it would be elephant and not leopard so I'm just thrilled.

The case is reinforced on one side, and it's stronger than it looks. It's nearly 10 inches deep and 20 inches tall (25 cm and 50 cm), it can hold a few days worth of clothes with careful packing.

There are handles on top and on the side as well as the extendable handle for pulling, with feet on the long side to set it down like a regular suitcase. The wheels move smoothly. The interior is a blue stripe and says Bon Voyage. One side has a zipped cover separating that half from the other half so when you open it, everything doesn't spill out. The zipped cover has a couple of pockets, one zipped and one elasticized. The other side has a water resistant pouch that's ideal for small toiletries, and has an elastic X band that fastens in the middle for securing folded clothes. The case also comes with a cloth cover to keep the exterior from scuffing.

I don't know if Double Dutch Club will become popular in the US, but I do know that I'll recognize this case easily, I love the little elephant pattern.

MHOC Womens Fleece Lined Leggings High Waisted Thick Spandex Opaque Tights
MHOC Womens Fleece Lined Leggings High Waisted Thick Spandex Opaque Tights
Offered by My House Of Chic
Price: $25.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice layer of warmth with dresses, September 30, 2014
Like all OSFA stuff, if you're on the high or low ends- these may not fit. They will fit a wide range of sizes though.

Worn- the waist band doesn't seem to be as high as pictured, and there is some sheen to the fabric. They are really comfortable though, and the waist is compressing without being confining. They do make a nice sleek line under fitted fashions like some body con dresses or fitted skirts. They add a nice layer of warmth and look good with skater dresses too. They fit like tights, but the fabric is heavier.

I gave this pair to my daughter, and she likes how they look and fit very much. Perfect for fall and frosty mornings, they are warm and soft. They wash up just fine, and didn't shrink or shred in the washer or dryer.
Review item provided at no cost, this is my honest experience and opinion.

Corel CorelDRAW Home and Student Suite X7 (3-Users)
Corel CorelDRAW Home and Student Suite X7 (3-Users)
Price: Click here to see our price
26 used & new from $95.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sets a good standard, good option for learning how to work with vectors, September 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like CorelDRAW quite a bit, and prefer it to Illustrator for vector art. I've been using X5 until getting X7.

This version has an easier interface than X5, it's intuitive with understandable short descriptions of what the buttons do when you hover over them. Converting a line to an object is even easier than in X5. If you've been using and getting frustrated with the free vector programs out there, you'd probably enjoy the simple interface. There is a good tutorial for starting out and a ton of tutorials and message boards to help you if you get stuck on something.

Vectors are memory intensive, but I'm having no issues on my desktop. This version is not for commercial use, but is an affordable option for working in vectors for personal and non-commercial use. So you can create SVG files to use with your digital cutter, but can't sell the files. You can also export to several other formats. The text and graphic tools make it easy to create posters and flyers, then export to PDF format for printing and sharing. It also has a good trace to create vectors- but you may need to monkey with the finished vector a bit to get the number of nodes down. I usually use reduce nodes once, then fine turn by hand because too much automatic node reduction deforms my shapes too much.

I'll still use X5 for my job, since it's the regular version and can be used for commercial projects, but hopefully I'll get to upgrade that soon. I like this version better!

BraveRats - A Game by Seiji Kanai
BraveRats - A Game by Seiji Kanai
Price: $10.34
24 used & new from $6.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little micro game, September 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My family plays a lot of games and really enjoys micro games. This 16 card, 2 player, 5 minutes or less game is a fun micro-game.

First about the quality of the game-
The art on the cards is comic and well done. The box is embossed, not just printed and has a velvety inner formed liner to hold the cards in place. I'd have liked a smaller box better, but this one does look nice. The rules are well written and printed clearly and in color. The only thing I don't like about it is the cheat/hint card. The printing is very fine on it, too fine for my husband to read comfortably on the chart side. Abbreviating or just showing the numbers of the cards so a larger font could be used would have made it easier to read.

Game play-
There are obvious similarities between this game and the classic card game War, but because of the individual powers of the cards and the way the basic rules are set up, I think it's more like Rock Paper Scissors. You have 8 items instead of 3 that interact with each other. Like Rock Paper Scissors, if you know your opponent's personality and game strategy- it can be get very predictable very easily. But the variations introduce a good element of chance to mix it up further and make the outcome less certain.

It's a good filler game. It's less portable than Steve Jackson's dice games to carry around with you but it will fit into a laptop bag or a medium sized purse easily which makes it a good choice for restaurants and other places you might be waiting for a little while.

Thames & Kosmos Crystal Growing
Thames & Kosmos Crystal Growing
Price: $32.17
46 used & new from $27.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty kit, reliable projects, September 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Most of the projects in this kit are centered around alum crystals.

Where this shines as a crystal making kit is in the book and projects. Some people say growing crystals is more art than science, but this kit combines the best of both. It explains super saturation, seed crystals, encourages experimentation with temperature, talks about different types of crystal shapes and how they grow. It's also a pretty kit- which means that you can make very attractive things with it that aren't gender specific.

Seed crystal tips- make sure your growing jar is very clean and that you are using filtered water. Dust and other particulates can cause crystals to grow in a carpet rather than individual crystals. When you're tying it to suspend in the super saturated solution to grow it don't use sewing thread or yarn. We used fine Kevlar thread because we had it on hand. Fishing line or a hard monofilament beading thread will work too. Don't move the solutions. Don't stir them after you have them set up, don't move them around your counters. Set them up in a place they will be undisturbed.

My daughter and I are having a lot of fun with this kit. It's a lot more interesting than just growing rock candy!

Epson WorkForce WF-2630 All-In-One Wireless Color Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax
Offered by Asus and Panasonic Specialists
Price: $99.99
2 used & new from $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, functional, easy set up, September 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been very happy with Epson's WF line, and this printer is no exception.

Set up was fairly quick. For all the functionality, this is a lightweight printer and the menu is easy to follow to set it to connect with your wireless network. Once it was set up it worked with my husband's Windows 8 laptop, my Windows 7 desktop and iPad mini without any problems. I like how small and light this is for an all-in-one. Epsom ink is smudge and water resistant so you get some of the benefits of laser printing, but with the color accuracy of inkjet printing for photos. This printer does a good job printing photos and graphics and handles the lightweight card stock I use for computer crafts very well.

Scanning was also easy and accurate. I tested the scanning with one of my 1949 needlework magazines, and at 300 ppi the dots in the original magazine photo showed when it was zoomed it. Adjusting the contrast was easy too.

It's not going to replace my Epsom WF wide format printer only because that printer will do posters and has two trays so I can switch easily between card stock or paper, but because the wireless is so effortless and it does such a good job scanning, it's being used actively. It's also quieter than my big wide format printer.

Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue 4oz
Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue 4oz
Price: $1.97
18 used & new from $1.91

3.0 out of 5 stars More limitations than original Tacky Glue, September 26, 2014
I use a lot of kinds of glue, and PVA type glues like original Tacky or Sobo are the type I use most.

On the good side, this spreads easily, has some open time to make adjustments, and dries clear. On the bad side, the open time is variable. This is easily one of the most weather sensitive glues I've ever used. If it's humid, it wants to be too wet and doesn't develop good tackiness so everything needs to be pinned or you use too much glue and wind up with wrinkles and air bubbles. It does better in dry weather, but still never seems to have the strength of original Tacky glue.

If the weather is right, I don't mind using this with paper or fabric. I don't recommend it at all for heavier items like wood or heavy card stock or cardboard.

The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician Series Book 1)
The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician Series Book 1)
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfyingly clever and very charming, September 26, 2014
Paper is one of my primary crafting mediums, and the problem with reading about something you know is that inaccuracies can throw you right out of the narrative. This story held me start to finish, and while there were parts that almost inspired me to put the book down and grab my origami paper, it was also interesting enough that I didn't do that.

The main character is capable, adaptable, clever and stubborn. She's not perfect, she can be quick to temper or judgment. She's an interesting hero. If there is a single issue with the whole book it's that the other characters weren't developed as fully as they might have been. The descriptions were fantastic, and I fell in love with Fennel, the paper dog.

In a way it reminds me of the debut novels for some of my favorite authors, and I expect that Ms Holmberg will improve and her stories may well equal those classics. It's charming, clever, and would make a fun movie. The story stands on it's own, and I'm looking forward to the next book.

Mead Academie Wirebound Sketchbook, Medium Weight, 11 x 7.88 Inches Sheet Size, 70 Sheets (54062)
Price: $16.77
2 used & new from $16.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice student quality sketchbook, September 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice student grade sketchbook. There is only a slight amount of tooth, it's fairly smooth. The brightness is good and you can erase light pencil marks without damaging the paper. The pages are cleanly perforated to pull out easily without tearing the paper. The backing board is firm enough to use the sketchbook as a drawing surface. If you're going to use it with ink, you might want to keep a piece of card stock in the pocket to use between the pages to prevent bleed through. I use it with pencils, and if my sketch needs inking, pull it out of the book to ink it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20