Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Elsie > Reviews

Browse

Elsie's Profile

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Elsie RSS Feed (Perth, Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Red Files
The Red Files
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 4, 2015
This review is from: The Red Files (Kindle Edition)
Fast-paced addictive and very humerous. The mystery plot is exceptional. I have read a lot of these and this storyline is defenitly a cut above the rest.

Silicon Power 128GB Blaze B30 USB 3.0 Swivel Flash Drive, Black (SP128GBUF3B30V1K)
Price: $29.99
9 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fasssssst transfers, January 25, 2015
Smoking hot fast. Highest recommendation. If you can afford it, get it, as the speed compared to the others makes such a difference.

Zoom 3095 USB Mini External Modem - USB - 1 x RJ-11 Phone Line - 56 Kbps
Zoom 3095 USB Mini External Modem - USB - 1 x RJ-11 Phone Line - 56 Kbps
Price: $45.89
70 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars WIndows 8 compatible, January 8, 2013
I just bought this modem for my Win 8 64bit laptop, and did not need any driver download or anything else installed as it plugged and played immediately. It was so simple I wish everything in life worked this well. Recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2016 11:00 PM PST

Happy Accidents
Happy Accidents

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific read, October 10, 2011
This review is from: Happy Accidents (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book for its honesty. Jane Lynch started out her career with a diva attitude and few friends and admits it bluntly. She learned some life lessons along the way thanks to growing maturity and a good counselor, ditched the drinking and found love. The bottom line is throughout it all, I BELIEVED her. There wasn't the feel of selective editing or conveniently never understanding other people's "attitudes" towards her that are in some celeb autobiographies (I'm looking at you Cybill Shepherd). Jane calls it as she sees it and admits it when she's been a bit of a beast. So when she finds joy and fulfillment with her wife, we can believe that too. And who doesn't love a happy ending? My only quibble is Jane clearly didn't do much cross-checking and so some dates do not add up. eg She talks about her one-woman show Oh Sister, My Sister leading to the opportunity of the film Best in Show, but the playbill for Oh Sister included in the book has Lynch listed as the star of Best in Show. She refers to kissing Shepherd in The L Word as her first on-screen gay kiss when Best in Show fans would still be laughing at that earlier famous gay snog. I know all our memories fade with age, but it just stood out that the book hadn't been finessed in editing as it might have been. Still, these are small things that can always be fixed in a reprint. In the end, it's a great read. And I love that there are so many fabulous photos of Jane at all ages.

Seriously ... I'm Kidding
Seriously ... I'm Kidding

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it plagiarism to copy your own work?, October 6, 2011
I love Ellen - so much so that I never miss her show. I record it when I have to go out. I say this to explain how I know and am so disappointed by the fact I am only partway through her new book and am recognising tracts of it from her show. The stand-up routine she does at the beginning of each show has been included in chunks. Sometimes I don't think she's changed a word - such as Portia and her lotion addiction resulting in her being trapped in the bathroom unable to turn the doorknob to escape. I laughed and laughed when I first saw Ellen say that. Not so much reading it almost word for word. I also laughed the first time I saw her displaying Mama Betty's odd collection of hoarded junk including a VHS tape of Abs of Steel. Funny then. I could go on, but I am guessing this answers the question Ellen asks at the start of the book: how she found the time to write it. Maybe I'll just call her a good recycler. I still love her - that's why I gave this a fairly generous three stars. But I am sad the book isn't fresher and more biographical and a little less, ahem, retreaded. For people who don't religiously watch her show, they will find this funny, especially if they liked My Point Is And I Do Have One, as it is written in that style.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2013 11:02 PM PDT

And Playing the Role of Herself
And Playing the Role of Herself
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Huge potential but frustrating, October 21, 2010
There is so much to love about this novel and it gets you from the start. Steamy actress meets steamy actress and lots of unresolved sexual tension ensues. It's wonderful how the author has drawn the audience into her world. BUT: my number one frustration with the book, which overshadows everything else is that virtually all tension comes from childish spats and immaturity between the characters; which is then ALWAYS resolved only when one character is physically hurt or perceived to be hurt. I would buy that happening once (oh no x is hurt, forget our fight, rush to her side, admit how you feel) but EVERY time?! And the childish carry-on of the lead character (nasty digs at her lover and ridiculously wrong assumptions without ever once checking) is hugely irritating. She acts 14! This novel frustrates the heck out of me because it could have, should have been so amazing, if only the plot twists weren't contigent on injuries leading to resolutions each time. I look forward to reading more from the author and hope that she's got the anger/hurt/comfort/love cycle out of her system once and for all with this one. Sooo much potential there.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2012 12:56 PM PDT

Belkin Core Laptop Backpack (Pitch Black/Soft Gray) fits up to 15.6-Inch laptops

4.0 out of 5 stars Great build, unusual feel when worn, October 18, 2010
The first thing that strikes you is how good the build of this bag is - excellent quality, but then I have found all Belkin products are made that way. I bought it because I wanted a specific-sized backpack and not for a laptop. As a result I find the long zips are great for splitting the bag in half and cramming in so much stuff - sneakers, jumpers, books, you name it. Holds a lot.
I love the low profile - it's excellent on crowded trains - you're not increasing your size too much at all. I love that it's basic size is smaller than an A3 sheet of paper so you don't look like a Sherpa or a camel.
The only downside for me, apart from a too-small little zip pocket at the exterior top (I use it for keys but it's a squeeze) is how it hangs on the curved human back. Imagine a flat board, attach some straps and put it on your back. That's how it feels. It does not curve or adjust even slightly into the small of the back. Don't get me wrong, it's lovely and soft back there, but when you walk there is air between the bottom of the bag and your back, because it literally hangs perfectly straight down, and has a semi-rigid frame (unlike soft backpacks), hence the way it hangs and bounces against you as you go. The only way they could fix this is have a horizontal strap across the front to hold it into place. Shame they don't have that.
Everything else is great. Even so I am not sure whether I'd buy this style next time cos it does feel a little odd. But you can't help be impressed by everything else about it.

Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, Book One)
Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, Book One)
by Ken Follett
Price: $24.47
454 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing but still readable, October 17, 2010
I wanted to love the latest tome from the author of one of my favourite books (Pillars of the Earth) but at best I could settle for liking it. The story is simply how World War 1 occured from almost every possible perspective. I mean literally - Austria, Russia, England, America, all perspectives are represented by characters who spend a lot of time doing little but debating politics and having clandestine affairs.
The main problems are that there are too many characters, most of whom are very sketchily drawn, and so you do spend a lot of time thinking, "OK now which one is Walter? The German, the Austrian or the Russian?" etc. The only three-dimensional character seemed to be an uppercrust suffragette woman called Maud who at turns is both hero and snob, fighter for the working woman and yet part of the establishment. She was interesting and held the attention at all times, but she was the exception.
The politics of building a cathedral (Pillars of the Earth) prove far more fascinating than meeting after meeting in the politics of Europe pre-world war. It's tedious at times; yet also intriguing too, especially when we follow Billy, a scamp of an English miner off to the war.
The worst part was how all the central characters improbably end right in the thick of whatever is happening - one Russian lad ends up as Trotsky's right-hand man; a German character winds up advising Kaiser, and the token American is having cosy chats with his president. All a little too convenient, even for a bunch of very well-connected people at the start.
The up-side is that for all its many pages I never once seriously thought of putting the book down. You do come away with a two dimensional but historically accurate view of the lives of people in these countries during a period of immense upheaval.
But for all that I simply can't bring myself to recommend the book except to a dedicated Follett fan. It's an OK way to pass the time but it lacks depth and the story-telling pace and thrills of many of Follett's earlier books.

Belkin Pleated Kindle Sleeve (Fits Kindle Keyboard) Black/White
Belkin Pleated Kindle Sleeve (Fits Kindle Keyboard) Black/White

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - much better than the picture, October 7, 2010
Bought this for my latest gen Kindle, and only wanted something to protect my e-reader from the worst of my abuses. It arrived and I was astonished by how much better looking it is in 'person'; and how well made. The exterior material is similar to what you might find on a soft padded camera bag. This has lots of soft padding, in designer ridges, a handy zip pocket on top for keeping your USB cable safe and two zips to zip up your Kindle in the main pouch (which has a white interior). The body fits the Kindle perfectly but isn't tight so there's no squeezing. My friend who also bought a Kindle when I did, but with a different case, just sat there massively bummed out wishing and wishing she'd got this one, too, instead of what she got. Even today she still talks about my case!
All in all I am delighted, and it's perfect if you don't want to read a Kindle with a case on, you just want to toss the ereader casually in a case in a drawer or wherever when your reading's done.

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
13 used & new from $26.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little gadget - shame about the sort function, October 7, 2010
I love nearly all of my new Kindle. The good - it has totally fixed my eye strain which came from reading on back-lit PDA screens. Kindle has no back-lighting at all. The screen is easy to read, just like a book, and the font size is adjustable from tiny to absolutely massive, which is great if you have poor eyesight. It ideally should be read with a bed-side lamp or the like. It's very light.

The mp3 player function is lovely quality, and there's a volume at the base you can adjust. There is no way to do a playlist on it. What you drag and drop over music wise is what it will play, in alphabetical order. (You can skip ahead and pause.) One strange quirk is that when you turn off your Kindle the music keeps playing, so remember to pause it first, then turn it off.

The battery life is great - and I charge mine via the supplied USB cable with my laptop. It just keeps going and going.

The down side. Sort function. I like my books to be ordered by most recent first. That is - the most recent one I am reading appears at the top of the list, the second most recent one is under that, and so on. The Kindle seems to think Most Recent means the date your Kindle acquired the book. Which is insane if, like me, you copy over a whole batch of books at the same time. That means it's completely random what's at the top. As it stands, if I want to leave a book I am reading, go to the Home screen to, say, change a setting, then go back to that book, I have to then scroll through all 11 pages of books I have to find my current book again. I am NOT happy with that. VERY FRUSTRATING. Weirdly, when I have two pages or fewer of books, the sort function seems to work. What the?!!

Another down side - Due to its width, unless you have huge hands, you need one hand to hold it and the other hand to turn the page. If that doesn't bother you, then great. It's slightly annoying to me. You must lie flat on your back, with Kindle on stomach, to do one-handed page turns, or else prop it up against furniture.

The other down side is the quality of the audio reader is poor - yes you'd expect a robotic voice but this is a robotic voice that clips the first micro-second of each word requiring concentration to understand what is being said. Fortunately I don't need to use this function and I pity those who do.

All in all it's a fine product, excellent value, and it's transformed my reading. If they could fix that sort function I'd give it five stars.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2010 3:49 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4