Profile for Jess Uptown > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jess Uptown RSS Feed

The Broken Kingdoms (The Inheritance Trilogy)
The Broken Kingdoms (The Inheritance Trilogy)
by N. K. Jemisin
Price: $13.99
126 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome follow-up, left me eager for the third!, November 12, 2010
I was aware of the first book of N. K. Jemisin's series for quite some time before I picked it up. But I feel like I was lucky that I held out because I waited long enough for her second to be published...and I knew after finishing #1 that I immediately wanted to see what happens next. "The Broken Kingdoms," picks up 10 years after "The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms," ended and focuses on a new protagonist. Oree is simply put, gifted, although blind she has abilities that are unique to a mere mortal. Her adventure kept me fully engaged and I was delighted when the story revisited not just the main characters from the first novel but continued to expand the universe and give us more details about its history. The ending definitely left me wanting more, with just enough loose ends leaving me eager to see how it will all combine for the series finale.

Naamah's Kiss
Naamah's Kiss
by Jacqueline Carey
158 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Like finding an old friend!, June 23, 2009
This review is from: Naamah's Kiss (Hardcover)
I dearly love the Kushiel saga, it's definitely my favorite series. I was so excited when I heard that Jacqueline Carey was going to continue with another story set in that world. This book didn't disappoint at all. I wanted to read the whole thing in one sitting, but somehow life got in the way. Don't worry if you haven't read the other books set in this universe, this is completely a stand-alone. It definitely enriches the story if you know the history but it's not necessary. The story is set in a kind of alternate reality and is about a young girl from what we would consider England. She's part of an ancient tribe who 'respect the old ways' despite or rather because of the world's insistence to move on and modernize. The tribe still has some magic and their god has a very real presence in their lives. Moiren, the main character is blessed not only by the god of her people, a vast bear, but also by two god's of a people who are said to be descended from angels, the D'angelines. (Occupying what we think of as France, very ironic.) Moiren is charged with a destiny not only by her bear god but also by the god's of the D'angelines. It is in this destiny that she first travels to Terre D'ange, the D'angeline home, and farther even still. Once in Terre D'ange she is wrapped up in all sorts of schemes and magical intrigues, usually not through any sort of willful malice but because Moiren tries to make the right choices even if her naiveté leads her astray. I don't want to describe the plot any more because I don't want to spoil anything. Throughout the book you can see the author planting the seeds for more adventures to come, I truly savored this reading experience and look forward to her future adventures!

Garmin nüvi 360 3.5-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Text-To-Speech
Garmin nüvi 360 3.5-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Text-To-Speech
9 used & new from $49.00

4.0 out of 5 stars For some reason I thought the screen would be bigger, May 14, 2009
I choose this version because I liked the bluetooth feature it has. I hate ear pieces and thought this was an econmical way to get '2 for 1' type of thing. Other then that it works really good, sometimes it miss-pronounces roads but that's just funny...especially because I put the language on British English. Otherwise the only negative thing I could say was for some reason I thought the display screen would be larger.

Cast in Shadow (The Chronicles of Elantra, Book 1)
Cast in Shadow (The Chronicles of Elantra, Book 1)
by Michelle Sagara
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.99
97 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and fast paced = great read!, September 12, 2008
I picked this up just a week ago and have since been compelled to buy both of the follow-ups, and I can't wait until the fourth book is coincidentally released next month! Kayla was raised in a tough neighborhood but now belongs to a quasi-police force called the hawks. As much as she tries to forget her violent and painful past she can't escape the mysterious marks on her body, and when she is assigned to investigate the murder of children bearing similar marks Kaylin is forced to draw on strength and magic she didn't know she possesed. Complicating an already complex situation, her new partner is not exactly new to her. He's from her old neighborhood and was like a brother to her until a startling act of violence forever ended her childhood. Through the course of the investigation Kaylin will encounter magic and ancient races that will help her realize she might of escaped her past, but it will still affect her future.

The Courtesan's Secret (The Courtesan Series)
The Courtesan's Secret (The Courtesan Series)
by Claudia Dain
Price: $12.21
101 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved IT!, June 17, 2008
I picked up the first book in the 'Courtesan,' series and immediately wanted more. I couldn't put that one or this one down. At times I even laughed out loud, (I know my dog was looking at me like I was one drugs). The characters are well rounded and not just flat historical romance characters who are insipid. Ok, well, the main character is a little insipid but she grows on you over time. The real reason I love this book is b/c of the courtesan herself. Her motivation, and her humor are delightful. This book is a perfect escape for a rainy day.

The Host: A Novel
The Host: A Novel
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: $25.99
1376 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, May 16, 2008
This review is from: The Host: A Novel (Hardcover)
I could not put this down. I liked her other novels but this one really spoke to me. The characters are so well developed, it just draws you in. The 'aliens' are so vibrant and also appealing, she has done an amazing job telling a layered story. I would recommend this book to any Sci Fi fan.

Notes From The Backseat (Red Dress Ink Novels)
Notes From The Backseat (Red Dress Ink Novels)
by Jody Gehrman
72 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, April 10, 2008
I liked it, I thought the main character was unique and likeable. She had a very witty voice. The only thing I didn't like is that she was kind of a whiner. All in all very entertaining.

Home of the Brave
Home of the Brave
DVD ~ Samuel L. Jackson
Price: $6.44
213 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars IF I could give this movie no stars I would, December 2, 2007
This review is from: Home of the Brave (DVD)
As a vetran of the war in Iraq I was particularly interested in how this movie would pan out. I was sorely dissapointed. It was cliched melodrama that makes made for tv movies look like oscar winners. What really offended me was that the story-lines in this movie are the blatant sterotypes of what civillians think of the military. There are so many real issues that they turned into a lifetime movie. It disgusts me and it cheapens the memories of my friends and fellow soldiers who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the name of crudely made, second rate, art.

Garden Spells
Garden Spells
by Sarah Addison Allen
232 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!!!!, December 2, 2007
This review is from: Garden Spells (Hardcover)
I read garden spells in one sitting, I absolutely loved it! The characters were fresh and I loved the use of food and the garden as a device. It was a perfect read for a rainy day when your spirits need to be uplifted.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair at Best, September 26, 2007
-nice texture

-odd scent, sweet but reminds me vaguely of cough syrup...

-nice lather