Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "SB Sarah" RSS Feed (NJ)

Her Best Worst Mistake
Her Best Worst Mistake
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelously Perfect Romance, May 14, 2012
At least 20 words about the product? COME ON NOW.

This is the opening of the review I wrote at SmartB*tchesTrashyBooks, but I won't republish the whole thing because that would be way, WAY more than 20 words:

"I started this book last Saturday morning while my kids were at swim lessons, and I was in a dark, humid, and loud indoor pool on uncomfortable bleachers.

I did not notice any of those things once I started reading. This book is amazing: confident and clever, funny and touching, and wonderfully done."

This is a wonderful, elegantly constructed romance, with sexual tension, hilarious dialogue, and characters I loved reading about. The hero is frustrated and tries to restrain himself and can't control his ardor for the heroine - and she's complicated, difficult and challenging and a perfect match for him. All the tension between them initially appears as dislike: he disapproves of her wildness, and she thinks he's a stick in the mud buried under eighteen pounds of boring. They're amazingly physically compatible (boy howdy) but working out the emotional complications of their intense attraction leaves a lot of obstacles to work through in the story.

Looks, it's $3. You'll enjoy it immensely (I hope) and you'll smile and cheer them both on. It's a wonderfully enjoyable romance. Just buy it already.

Baseball Prospectus 2012
Baseball Prospectus 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT buy digital edition, February 24, 2012
On an iPad and on an Asus tablet, the data for the Kindle version displays one column at a time, no headers and no tables. It's horrible. A total waste of money and not worth even looking at. Why even BOTHER doing a digital edition if the formatting is going to be so terrible?

EDITED 2/29/12: Well then! not only did the Exec. Pub at Wiley contact me about the book, but when I explained the problem I was having, he saw it too. Nice to know I'm not crazy.

Here's the problem: if you skip ahead to a player (like, say, a Pirate, because you want to draft ALL the Pirates on your rotisserie team, of course), and start paging through the stats on a tablet (any tablet), if you go back a page or two, the tables break and show only one column per page. Because my initial perusal involved flipping back and forth, the broken tables were the first thing I saw. BUT if you go forward again, the tables realign.

That said, the digital copy is not as easy to read and compare players as the paper edition, because if you know the Baseball Prospectus, you know the data tables are looooonnnnng. Plus, if you use this book to draft a team, you aren't going to always read it straight through in the printed order - you skip around. Thus the broken tables are bothersome, BUT it is not permanently broken!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2012 3:42 PM PST

iPearl mCover Hard Shell Cover Case with FREE keyboard cover for 13.3-inch Apple MacBook Air A1369 & A1466 - CLEAR
Offered by iPearl-Inc
Price: $17.99
7 used & new from $11.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Newer Model MacBook Air, February 2, 2011
When I purchased my new MacBook Air at the Apple store, I asked specifically for a clear hard shell case for it because the aluminum body of the laptop scratches really easily. I was assured that the case I was buying (for $50!) was going to fit. Did it? OF COURSE NOT. It was for the prior model. So I had to make do with the case that didn't fit to protect the computer, while searching for a hard shell case that would actually fit.

This one is perfect. The clear model has a matte finish to the lid, and from the side it almost looks frosted, but you can see the decals and stickers I have on the lid just fine. It is ridiculously easy to put on and while I was afraid of cracking it while I snapped each corner into place, the case was way more durable than I gave it credit for. It is very, very lightweight, doesn't add much at all to the dimensions of the machine, and it isn't slick or slippery to carry, either. Plus, it has feet. Yup. Flippy feet. I didn't think I would use them, but they tilt the laptop to a very comfortable typing height.

Plus it was much cheaper than the one I purchased at the store. BOO. YAH. It fits exactly right - thank you to mCover for clearly labeling the correct model and compatibility in the title and description of the item so I knew I was getting the right case for my laptop.

Belinda (The World's Classics)
Belinda (The World's Classics)
by Maria Edgeworth
42 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars I confess. I had to read it for class, December 5, 1997
I know. No one ever wants to read a book for class. But in my 18th Century Women Novelists class we read Edgeworth's _Belinda_ and as a self-indulgent lover of romance novels, I found this to be right up there with Devereaux and McNaught. (I know...I wince as I even type their sacred names...much less dare to compare their masterful works with a 200 year old novel). I promise, this book is a treat and a treasure. _Belinda_ is the story of a young woman who is entering her first season in London under the tutledge of Lady Delacour. Delacour is a classic yet entertaining example of the creation of a facade. We all knew people like her in high school. Other characters include Mrs. Freke (pronounced "freak") who duels with pistols and dresses in men's clothing--now keep in mind this is the 18th century. She was supposed to be wearing a corset and some petticoats. Then there's Lord Delacour, who can't decide if he's a whipped husband or the lord of his manor, or if he should just have another drink. The entire story revolves around the theme of how life and people are not always what they seem. It also touches upon racism, sexual identity, gender roles and self-image of both women and men. But the delightful discovery of a character as intelligent and resourceful as Belinda makes this book truly worthwhile. She is cut from the same mold as Austen's Elizabeth Bennet or Emma-- she learns from the follies of others and in the end becomes a very admirable character that the reader is, well, proud of. After a semester of women ruined by this lord or that one, finding Belinda restored my battered sense of pride in my ancestral gender. I recommend this book to any one who likes Austen, anyone who loves a good romance--of course she falls in love!-- and most of all, anyone who has had to read a doldrum of a book for class and needs some restoration.

Charms for the Easy Life
Charms for the Easy Life
by Kaye Gibbons
224 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I disagree with the Kirkus Review (there's a surprise), December 5, 1997
I read the reviews of this book because I wanted to see what other Amazon-ians thought of one my all-time favorites. I now want to jump up and down on my monitor after the Kirkus review. Boo. Hiss. The review criticizes the book mostly for it's Southern storytelling influence and values, and as someone who read it while temporarily living in the deep South, I have to say that those elements made it all the more special. As a "Transplanted Yankee" I not only learned about the South from this book but it make me appreciate the sense of family that is so abundant there. This book moves through generations of women gifted with honorable traits and as a reader I related to a bit of each of them. That, to me, is the mark of an excellent story.
_Charms for the Easy Life_ is one of the best books you will ever read. I promise. When Oprah selected Gibbons books as her book club selections, I was ticked, but disappointed that this wasn't one of them. This book will lighten your day and paste a grin on your face that will last for days. I highly recommend it...especially for the wintery dark days coming up. This will light a candle in your soul that will warm you for years on end.