Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Browse

Amazon Customer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (Olive Branch, MS)

ZMart Fun ZMF-II Digital Chess Clock - Red LED Display / Black Case
ZMart Fun ZMF-II Digital Chess Clock - Red LED Display / Black Case
Offered by Wholesale Chess, Board Games & Puzzles
Price: $52.65
6 used & new from $48.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent customer service, August 3, 2014
The 5 stars is for the excellent customer service; I had a clock with an older version of the firmware that caused the delay to be inaccurate. The manufacturer offered a replacement and the new clock's delay appears to be spot on.

How refreshing to see a company stand behind their work. This company appears to be local (US-based) and small, and they care about their product and their customers.

I'm still not real crazy about how the delay works but the product rep indicated that a later version of the firmware will include additional choices about how to display it. For now my suggestion would be to see one of these in action before you buy to ensure the delay display is to your liking.

The touch sensors on the unit are just as good as the Chronos touch except that you can't keep your opponent from pressing his button by holding yours down. This is one of the few problems with the Chronos and it's good to see the ZMart guys get it right. The setup menu isn't that intuitive but again, it's way better than the Chronos and frankly if you're smart enough to play chess, you won't have a problem.

Original review: The delay on these clocks is inaccurate; i.e. on a 5-second delay setting, the actual delay varies between 3.5 and 5 seconds. Not suitable for serious tournament play. Stick with a DGT or a Chronos if you can find one.

Existence
Existence
Price: $17.14
23 used & new from $10.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, November 12, 2010
This review is from: Existence (Audio CD)
Pandora presented "Transcendent Mountain" to me while on the Phil Keaggy channel the other day. It was one of those rare musical moments where three thoughts immediately converged:
1. I have never heard anything quite like this before.
2. The caliber and quality of the music is phenomenal.
3. I must buy this album now!

If you fiddle with the acoustic guitar, as I do, you'll listen to this and vacillate between wanting to brush the dust off the thing and learn to play it again, and throwing it in the fireplace because you'll never sound anything like this.

The entire CD is top notch. Buy it, download it, steal it if you must... but give it a listen. You'll be glad you did.

BU2B
BU2B

4.0 out of 5 stars Music is great; lyrics: thoughtful, June 10, 2010
This review is from: BU2B (MP3 Music)
As a long time Rush fan, as well as a Christian, Rush - in the lyrics of Neil Peart - has once again given me something to think about.

Peart has revealed in this song he continues to wrestle with a problem common to all of us; namely what philosophers call the Problem of Evil. Why do bad things happen to good people? And why, if there is indeed a all-loving and all-powerful God, doesn't he do anything to stop it?

The answer from his youth - which, I'm afraid, is often given by well-meaning Christians - is that the pain and suffering in one's life is *directly* attributable to one's actions. If we do good things, we get rewarded. If we do bad things, well then, the consequences are directly attributable to them. Joy and pain, as it were. Certainly this has to plague Peart, who I daresay has endured more pain and suffering than most of us will ever have to personally. Pinning all of that on him is beyond cruel.

The answer Peart gives is most definitely *not* the message of Scripture, and Peart is right in rejecting it. But the question still remains: Why do these bad things happen? Why doesn't God do something about evil? And why do those consequences affect others the way they do?

I believe that the answer lies in God's creation of people with a free will; we can either choose to follow in the ways of God by worshiping Him and being nice to our neighbors, or we can choose to go our own way. God could certainly have created a race of humans without the ability to rebel, but He chose not to. And it is this choice - this Freewill, if you like - that is the source of evil all throughout the world. God didn't create evil, for Evil is not a Thing - it is Good spoiled, as it were. Evil is a choice. Take away evil and you take away what makes us human. And the seed of it is inside each one of us.

If Peart is honest with himself - and I believe that he is based upon reading the words to "Lock and Key" - then he knows this. We all fall short of the moral standard we set for ourselves, much less God's or any other deity we care to compare ourselves to! We know what is good and right to do, yet we fail to do it. We carry guilt and shame from words spoken in anger, malicious deeds, and thoughts that plague us. This yearning to be freed from guilt isn't a Christian phenomenon; *every* man or woman has to wrestle with this one. Only by denying such absolutes as "good" and "evil" can one even attempt to avoid the problem, but I think we can all agree that I were to suddenly punch a passer-by on the street in the face for no reason, that would be wrong, evil - and for me, the consequences *would* be immediate - and painful!

But does this imply that our evil actions are always the direct cause of the consequences? Certainly this can be the case - if, for example, I attempt to fly a plane without a pilot's license, it will almost certainly cost me my life - but often times, this just isn't true. Jesus pointed this out to His disciples on at least one occasion (Luke 13:1-5). Sometimes we're the recipient of the evil brought about by others. Sometimes we're a victim of God's creation being in a state of rebellion. And sometimes, it really *is* our fault. But assigning blame based directly on one's circumstances isn't the message of the Bible.

I would also add that of all the world's religions, Christianity - in the person and work of Jesus Christ - is the only one that actually *solves* the problem of evil, not by looking down from above and choosing to stay on the sidelines, but by taking the form of a man, allowing himself to be subject to unimaginable evil, and paying the punishment for the wrong things I've done. So according to Christian doctrine, I'm not going to get what I deserve; indeed, according to what I was BU2B, I'll get far better; I'll receive the grace given to me by a God who literally loved *himself* to death. Peart can get this as well (and I really hope he does - Heaven will be a little too quiet without him!) ...and so can you. Put Jesus Christ under the microscope and see if His claims of being the actual God who created everything lived, died, and rose again are really true. Because if you choose not to decide, well... you get the idea.

And I have to add that Paley must be proud. His watch lives on in a song that shows irrefutable evidence of design.

Peace.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2011 8:27 AM PDT

A Festival of Carols in Brass
A Festival of Carols in Brass
Price: $10.68
76 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The standard for brass Christmas carols, December 19, 2005
When I was a little boy in the early - mid 70's, my father would dig his old open reel machine out of the closet and load up this compilation of carols by the Philadelphia brass. It was part of the traditions that made Christmas special. We were both thrilled to find this collection available on CD, mostly because the R2R won't play anymore, and the quality of the music comes through much bettter on the CD. You can hear the musicians breathing, valves clicking, etc.

For those who are accustomed to singing Christmas carols in harmony, you'll find excellent arrangements of the usual soprano, alto, tenor, and bass lines thoughout. And the 12 Days of Christmas is a hoot.

This is definitely a must buy for any brass or Christmas fan.