Profile for J. Perkins > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 65

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Perkins RSS Feed (Connecticut)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Radical Reality: How Consciousness Transforms Itself into the Material Stuff of the Universe the Physics of Reality Has Wildly Liberating Everyday Applications
by W. Robynne McWayne
46 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is THE handbook to LOA, God and Science interaction, March 23, 2014
I've always believed in God. I've always been fascinated by the concept of parallel universes. I read Celestine Prophecy and several of Fred Alan Wolfe's books (one called Parallel Universes). I loved the idea of creating my own reality and taking responsibility for it. But there seemed to be so many pieces to the puzzle. I picked this book up because I inadvertently came across Cynthia Sue Larson when I noticed we'd reviewed a bunch of the same books. I made a list of the ones she'd read, and bought a few. This was one of them.

This book is so clear, so comprehensive, so easy to read and understand. Her reading list and bibliography is 13 pages and includes esoteric quantum physics books; heavy-duty spirituality stuff like the Seth material; and funky, new age ones like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. She distills it all into one funny, straight up, logical, easy-to-read and understand primer on the whole thing.

I swear I underlined so much perhaps I should have underlined what was NOT important. There'd be fewer markings. I've read a lot of books on one part of it or another, funny books (Tim Allen's I'm Not Really Here), some series science ones (Dana Zohar and Fred Alan Wolfe), some cosmic ones (The Seth material), but this really needs about 10 stars, not just five. I think she read all those books and said "Someone needs to write one that pulls it all together" so she did, because I haven't yet come across another one.

The Italian Summer: Golf, Food, and Family at Lake Como
The Italian Summer: Golf, Food, and Family at Lake Como
by Roland Merullo
Price: $15.15
37 used & new from $9.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the book - and I don't golf, December 28, 2013
I read Golfing with God twice. I've been to Lake Como a few times, though many years ago. When I read this I decided to get it for my boyfriend's mother, who is Italian and an avid golfer. Because it wasn't in the bookstore, I thought I'd put a picture of the book cover, the synopsis, and some of the reviews on a piece of paper and wrap that up, but............what's up with the bad reviews?

It's been a while since I read this but I didn't find any of it condescending. I recall his descriptions were vivid, friendly, and his golf stories funny, easy to follow, and captivating. As his second book, I found it as good as GwG, but for different reasons. It's a very different type of book than GwG (which is awesomely thought provoking and brilliant in its analogous stories, by the way).

I'd be more specific, but it's been a while since I read this. I stopped to write this quickly, specifically to offset the other reviews.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2014 6:24 AM PDT

Green Sands: My Five Years in the Saudi Desert
Green Sands: My Five Years in the Saudi Desert
by Martha Kirk
31 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I'd expected or hoped for, June 11, 2013
Amazing lady! I was wandering around the library looking for funny travel books, and went by the bio section when the bold, colorful title on the spine caught my eye. I flipped through it; it looked interesting enough to check out, but I wasn't entirely sure how good it would be. But once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. She apparently had some difficulty finding a publisher and was able to get it published through a friend who had a connection at Texas Tech. Thank goodness.

She didn't have the opportunity to live in a compound for Americans that a few of her friends did and that seem to be even more prevalent today. She lived in a container - like a mini mobile home - until later when they got a house. With dishrags for kitchen curtains. And generator and water issues. And food issues. And being a woman on top of everything else, which certainly caused its own issues, even though she was allowed to hang with the guys much of the time. Later she chose to hang out with the women, and good for her. And what a difference between shopping with her husband's boss's wife and hanging out with Rashima, the wife of one of their Bedouin friends.

And then in one part - the one mention of this topic and a very casual one at that, floored me - she talks about her friend, Gina, who began putting a mosquito net up at night after finding a scorpion on her pillow. Martha says something like that had never happened to her, even though she'd killed a lot of scorpions and camel spiders in the house (camel spiders!!!!). Yeah, just another day in Saudi Arabia.

The stories and experiences she tells are mixed nicely with the educational information about Saudi, the differences, its history, and insight into native life. Some of the stories are really funny, too.

Yes, a few missed edits. But the one reviewer makes it sound like they're all over the place. I do some professional editing, so don't let that reviewer's comment throw you off. I didn't find any of the content corny, although the picture captions in third person as "the author" rather than first person "I" were kind of funny to read since they were so
disconnected from the narrative first person.

If you are planning to go to Saudi, this is a must-read book, especially as things haven't changed all that much since she wrote it! And if you aren't planning on going, it's still a great read. I never had any plans to go there, still don't have any plans to go there, and never WILL have any plans to go there, and I'm glad I checked it out of the library.

Gentleman of Leisure: A Year in the Life of a Pimp
Gentleman of Leisure: A Year in the Life of a Pimp
by Susan T. Hall
46 used & new from $6.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, April 4, 2013
Like J. Weston, I found this book when I was going through random categories looking for something interesting to fill the last 3.00 or so for free shipping. The book was published in 2002, I think, but the material is clearly 70s. What a bargain for the price. I couldn't put it down. I read it all in one sitting!

I grew up close enough to New York City that with my family, or friends, or on school trips, I went there. This was when going to a Broadway show or walking around Times Square wasn't quite the cleaned up experience it is now. I always, ALWAYS looked out the window for pimps and prostitutes. The city, the clothing, all of it - so different from my own affluent upbringing. So this book satisfied that "through the window" urge that glimpses through a real window never did.

The photography is natural, unposed; some pictures are raw, some sweet, but each one provides as much perception into Silky and his girls as their words do. There are no interviews, no commentary, no analysis; just narratives in first person. Each girl talks about herself, Silky, herself in relation to Silky, the other girls, the other girls and Silky, her work, what she likes and doesn't like, etc. Silky manages them all with deft psychological insight, but even with the manipulation and head games that keep them in line, he also genuinely cares for each of them. He describes himself as a natural-born pimp, and I was stunned to learn how old he was the year the book was put together.

It was rather mind boggling to see a few pics taken of the girls on the street in their work clothes. Why? Because one of his girls was working dressed in a long-sleeved, crewneck sweater, pants, and low-heeled, open toe shoes. Really. And in an indoor pic she's wearing white, high-waisted underwear. No Victoria's Secret 30 years ago!

Ah, Bewilderness!: Muddling Through Life With Mary Z. Gray
Ah, Bewilderness!: Muddling Through Life With Mary Z. Gray
by Mary Z. Gray
18 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistently laugh-out-loud funny!, April 4, 2013
Mary Z Gray is one irreverent lady who had me re-reading some passages and laughing even harder the second time I read them. She has a knack for noticing things that don't make any sense, especially to her, and wondering why others don't seem to notice the problem. Her admission to - and essays about - not being the neatest housekeeper, or on top of the latest trends, or having her own preferences for the way something is done kept me turning the pages, eager to read her next witty and insightful take on some equally,otherwise mundane subject.

I found this book in the back of the library when I was looking for travel humor stories. What a find! One of the reasons I found the material so funny is because I could relate to so much of it. A totally separate reason for its being funny is that it was written in 1975, and at one point, she mentions the price of gas as .58 cents. Another essay she says "...if gas goes up to a dollar...." Then there's the cost of long-distance phone calls, selectric typewriters, trying to find a store near you that carries something you want and being unable to find it..(no internet!) There's a lot of that kind of thing that really emphasizes how things have changed!

Here are 5 of my many favorites:
MANAGING YOUR TRASH FLOW: Her system for dealing, or rather NOT dealing, with mail. "As this mass continues to grow, a fresh stream is flowing in from the mail, joined by unfilable newspaper clippings I want to keep, deposit slips, notes on books I want to read, memos on unstructured telephone calls, and from the pocket of an old sweater..." and "The categories are, roughly, This Week, Next Week, Sometime, Maybe, according to urgency. There they remain until the heaps begin to slide -- by about the fifth day. The categories now start to blur, because they are falling into each other."

BALANCING THE SCALES: She rewrites, in mock legal form, the calorie count rules for gaining weight. "Subsection b: Leftover party food, if consumed within 24 hours of the party, carries no weight penalty."

CONFESSIONS OF A MATH MORON: "Three or four banks later, I asked a friendly teller if she could help me figure my bank balance.....The MONTH I began having trouble? I have bank statements dating back to 1942. All unopened." (I practically snorted with laughter at this one. The tellers at my bank request that I not total my slips!)

IF IT'S THE THIRTEENTH, IT MUST BE THE GAS MAN: "How do people keep track of such events? DO they have a journal in which they write a running account of the arrival and departure of gas men, Japanese beetles, trash collection, ants, and Murcott oranges? All these things come as a surprise to me. Maybe these keen observers note on their calendars on April 18: 'Ants arrived.' And on July 9: 'Ants left.'"

AM I WITHIN THE NORMAL RANGE?: "For instance, how many empty peanut putter jars saved for food storage are normal? Six? Fourteen? How about more than twenty? See, there it gets sticky."

There are so many well-written, 3 or 4 page essays on such a wide variety of topics, you are guaranteed to love and laugh at least half of them for any one (or more) of the following reasons: 1) it's just FUNNY, 2) you're like that, or 3)someone you know is like that.

I googled her and found last year at age 93, she had a book published about growing up in WDC (she met Calvin Coolidge when she was 5). I just ordered it!

Girls in White Dresses (Vintage Contemporaries)
Girls in White Dresses (Vintage Contemporaries)
by Jennifer Close
Price: $11.16
124 used & new from $0.62

4.0 out of 5 stars irreverent and clever, January 18, 2013
It's written in a very different style than perhaps many expected and that might be part of the problem. I hit it about page 25, the same place one Amazon reviewer put the book down, when I thought "Is the whole book written like this?" But either I hit a funny part or just kept going a bit more and then I was pulled in. I was slightly more than iffy on the first 25 pages. Those who say the characters lack depth - it's probably because of this. No, they don't have the depth of a full narrative story. The insight into them is situational A few said there's no plot - that's sort of true. It's about a bunch of girls who go from college to age 30. The time line is like a sequence of snapshots, sometimes separated by a fair amount of time with no insight into what happened between the two, so it doesn't flow seamlessly forward.

Each chapter is about one of the girls. The main ones: Lauren, Isabella, and Mary each have several chapters as they move through their 20s. Numerous others in their circle who are not main players have one chapter. Sometimes that includes some background up til the present, like Abby, who has always been - and still is - mortified by her hippie parents. Other times it's purely in the present, like Kristi and her narcissism and 25 wedding showers. That's so you have some background on them when their names come up. WIthin each chapter are little snapshot vignettes, each consisting of a few paragraphs to 1.5 or 2 pages.

It's written in sort of an observational, narrative form but there's lots of conversation. The humor is, for the most part, very subtle because it captures the underlying absurdity of so many situations and the viewpoints of that age. You don't even realize it's building until suddenly there are a few lines that are out-of-the-blue funny. The juxtaposition of subtlety with the one-two irreverent punch is often what makes the funny part so funny.

Sometimes in my reviews I showcase a piece of the book to illustrate what I'm talking about. That's impossible here. I'd have to input a complete section and it still might not be enough, because the book is layered. Each chapter builds on the ones before it.

I laughed out loud alot. Not just a "ha ha" but a real laugh that led to re-reading the funny part and laughing more. I thought the book was so funny and well written and reminded me so accurately of me and my friends in our 20s, I was thinking of buying it for my boyfriend's daughter who's in her 20s. But with all these bad reviews, I wonder if she'll even like it as much as I did, since she doesn't read much anyway. Who isn't (wasn't?) neurotic in their 20s? You worry about boyfriends, drink too much, are a bit critical of everything because half the time you're so unsure of yourself, and you invariably end up going out with a few jerks and staying with them longer than is sensible. Underneath it all, you're wondering if everyone spots the times you feel completely clueless.

I think Close has done a great job with the characters and how the progression of their lives is relayed. The way in which she structured the book is effective for what she wanted to convey and the picture she paints. I like MC in CA's review. She sees in this book what I did. Plus the book is an easy read. I zipped through it in one day, even though I was doing a bunch of other stuff.

BTW - Several people wondered how the reviews on the back could be so positive. Normally, those aren't real. The people are paid to say that, and usually provided with the words. Just like so many Amazon best sellers are the result of a hard driven, affiliate related campaign where all the purchases take place over the space of a week or two, especially the first day. That's what drives the sales up to hit the best-seller mark. I've taken part in a couple for several of my author friends.

Finding Casey: A Novel
Finding Casey: A Novel
by Jo-Ann Mapson
Price: $18.94
69 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Did we all read the same book?, January 10, 2013
This review is from: Finding Casey: A Novel (Hardcover)
I keep a notebook of the books I read. Sometimes I enter 5 or 6 at a time before they go back to the library. Every time I saw the cover of this book I realized I couldn't remember what it was about. I even had to read a few of the reviews to remember.

I finished it, but I wasn't impressed. Funny, because I lived in Santa Fe for three years so you'd think I'd have relished revisiting it through the book. But I found her descriptions and insertions of places a bit affected. They weren't long enough to really set the stage and lay out a vision for the reader, yet they were too long and overly done for the situation. They felt as if they were trying too hard.

There were circumstances that didn't seem to have a point and I didn't know why they were mentioned. Here are three but I'm sure there were more considering five minutes ago I couldn't even remember what the book was about.

The first is the ghost. The first chapter is narrated by it/her. We figure that out because the book jacket says the house has a ghost. Then what? Nothing. Until she's mentioned by one of the characters, by way of explaining some random noise. Doris comes up maybe 10 times in the whole book, and each time it's minor: a reference to the cold room or a comment to Doris for opening a door. At the end of the book they renovate part of the house and find a small statue in the wall that says Doris on it - or something similar that ties it to their name for the ghost. It felt like the author wanted to do something with Doris - introduced her, then didn't know where to go with it. The story took off in its own direction and so as an afterthought, she wrapped it up with the little statue.

Second: Juniper named the ghost. She had no knowledge of the ghost, no reason for the name, no absolute knowledge there even WAS a ghost. She just decided to call the ghost Doris. At the end of the book, as I mention above, we find out something about a Doris that used to live there. But we're still not sure there's a ghost, and if Juniper was picking up vibes or has intuition, that's never mentioned much less developed. Although it comes off like some random coincidence, it's somewhat implied that Juniper and the ghost were tuned in to each other. Again - it seemed overdone for having so little to it.

Third: When Juniper and whatever his name is go to interview some pottery lady, they can't find her. So they go wandering around - after a horse or something I think - and come across this sort of...farm...that has been abandoned. The description of it sounds as if it has been abandoned for weeks. The animals are literally starving, the horse is skin and bones, and some other stuff like that I don't remember. Dog is obviously hungry...etc. The door to the house is standing open. Her description makes it sound ominious. I remember she writes that even the dog wouldn't go in. At this point I'm practically expecting Juniper and this guy to find everyone murdered. They walk in and even Juniper says it's as if everyone has up and left hurreidly in the middle of a meal. There's even food on the table. (And the dog didn't go in and eat it because....????)

The pottery lady appears - she's come over to feed the horses or check something out or something - and it turns out to be where the girl who is Juniper's sister lived (although Juniper doesn't yet know any of that). And they've been gone .....5 days? Much less than the desciption makes it seem. We know that the girl left to bring her daughter to the hospital and that most likely at some point the mean guy took off to find her. What happened to the other two? And why did everyone leave in the middle of the meal? There's a lot of drama here and none of it is explained or rectified. This same setting would have had much more impact without all the drama and then it wouldn't appear to have loose ends, either.

SPOILER ALERT: Shortly after the author introduced the girl I could see what was coming a mile away. Obviously it's Juniper's sister. I do think she did a good job with the girl in that you can clearly see how she's being physically and mentally abused, and brainwashed, yet she buys into all of it and doesn't remotely sense what's really taking place. In fact the author did such a great job with that it makes me wonder if she's been through it, or knows someone who has, or has worked at a women's shelter.

I'm thinking now of the hospital reunion and when they all came back to the house and also Juniper's mother's sister and her issues....I was surprised to find the author has written so many books, some of which were best sellers. Too many loose ends, too much dramatic description too often, poor - and sometimes inconsistent - character development. It was just good enough to finish, but I debated that a few times.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2014 12:08 PM PDT

Gun Church
Gun Church
by Reed Farrel Coleman
Price: $15.26
67 used & new from $0.64

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my top ten most intense favorites, January 5, 2013
This review is from: Gun Church (Paperback)
Intense, for me, is a book whose characters are dysfunctional and walking the edge. Usually one or two fall off and fall off hard. It means that the story line has to be plausible, although not of a world I know, but possible based on the crazy or deluded stuff people get into their heads and then buy into. Usually it's first person, and the narrator is in the middle of it becuase of personal issues that pulled them in even as they went forward knowing they should be walking away. (CIA, covert operations, Jason Bourne, Tom Cruise/Mission Impossible-type books don't count. I don't read those).

I'm not going to recap the plot becuase several other reviewers have done that well. I almost didn't continue reading this one. It's first person and the beginning of it had a few too many clever phrases from the narrator who was, while not deluding himself about how far he's fallen, shares memories of his past antics in a cross between disgusted with himself and a sour "laugh with me or at me - aren't I jerk" sense of humor. You've read the plot in the first few reviews, so there's no need to rehash it.

About the time I thought I'd give it another chapter, it sucked me in. And as the juxtaposition between Kip shedding his "Kipster" skin and growing into his new self was developing - tied together by his need for that rush, whatever the source - I was both repelled and riveted by the central theme of the book and the three main characters: Kip, Jim, and Renee.

You don't care about any of them. More like you just want to see how the tension plays out - becuase you're tense reading what's taking place, especially as that becomes increasingly clear - and who is going to go over the edge first, because there's no way everyone is coming out clean and without damage.

Two others I've reviewed that are like this - and possibly have even more palpable tension than Gun Church - are:
Tempted by Trouble - Eric Jerome Dickey
Mr. Hooligan - Ian Vasquez

One I've reviewed that wants to be in this category and fails miserably:
Killer Move - Michael Marshall

Odd Thomas: An Odd Thomas Novel
Odd Thomas: An Odd Thomas Novel
by Dean Koontz
Price: $6.98
82 used & new from $2.03

5.0 out of 5 stars "Oddly" comforting, August 13, 2012
It's been quite some time - deliberately - that I've read a book I was unable to put down. I've been reading good books, and really good books, but either they haven't been good enough to sidetrack me into procrastination, or I've been more disciplined that I was aware I could be. Odd Thomas isn't any of those.

I read a Dean Koontz book once. I didn't like it. Odd Thomas was in a cabinet in a beach house we rented last week and I picked it up when I finished the book I'd brought with me. Despite it being Dean Koontz, the blurb on the back sounded interesting. By the time I was in the last 75 pages, we were home and I was reading the book in spurts of 2, 5, 8 pages while running errands with someone. WHile my friend while gets his pants tailored at the dry cleaners, I'm in a chair with my nose in the book. I'm waiting in line at the drug store while I'm devouring the next few pages. I couldn't put it down.

It's rather horrifying in the wake of the continued - and seemlingly increasing - mass murders by psychopaths. When it was Fungus Man with yellow hair and appeared to be the theater, it seemed almost precognitive considering the Colorado "Dark Knight" event happened just a few weeks ago. So the optimism of Stormy, the commitment Odd has to balancing out (or preventing) evil and acts like this, and the humorous parts serve to offset those that are more intense and dark.

Koontz weaves the light with the heavy skillfully, gradually increasing the heavinees and building the tension while retaining the essence of Odd's goodness. I finished and thought - wow, that would be great if he does more "Odd" novels, and I signed on to Amazon only to find there are quite a few more! Looks like I'm about to set off on one of my topical immersions. The last one encompassed 7 books on the Wars of the Roses and Richard III, so I doubt I'll delve into anything else until I finish all the Odd Thomas books.

Short Skirts and Snappy Salutes: A Woman's Memoir of the WWII Years
Short Skirts and Snappy Salutes: A Woman's Memoir of the WWII Years
by Caroline Morrison Garrett
Price: $17.98
30 used & new from $10.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing and Engaging, July 27, 2012
april 13, 2013 - see follow up at end
I love history. Plus I live in Bethel so when I saw it on the Bethel Historical Society's table at the sidewalk sales two weeks ago, buying it was a no brainer. I opened it as soon as I got home and the last two nights I've had to make myself turn off the light.....at about 1:30 am. I love that her mom saved all her letters which served to recreate the events with such detail. I feel as if I'm there with her... I've got about 50 pages left to go and I wish there was a sequel, so I hope that's what she's writing! The pictures are great. My mom threw all my stuff away when I was in Dallas in college and they moved from MN to SC,so I have none of the stuff I was saving that would have served the same purpose - or at least been fun to peruse so many years later.

There are so many funny, laugh-out-loud parts in this book, as well as related instances that illustrate how far the world has advanced (or in some cases, regressed) since then. Twelve hours from TX to LaGuardia by plane! I grew up in Darien, CT, so for the first few years of college, that was the route I flew. I think it was 3.5 with the hour time change.

Formal gowns for dances! I wish! And actual dancing - waltzes, foxtrots....how glamorous, polite, and respectful things were. I've often wished I was her age in the 40s when families were closer, people dressed up, and there was much less fragmentation.

But despite the differences, some things don't change! The first night in their barracks at Ft Sam Houston, a bunch of drunken soldiers noisily passed. One of the girls there yelled out the window and fascinated, the men said "There are women in there!" and started throwing things at the door to try to get the girls' attention and make them come outside. From there on out, the girls had a guard posted outside their door - and they had to put shades up immediately since there weren't any on the windows. (And there were cockroaches in the shower.)

One of the funniest vignettes takes place when she pulled the psych ward at Beaumont in El Paso: "I was not prepared for the fellow who dove head first into a hundred-ration pan of rice pudding. An attendant led him away leaving a trail of pudding across the floor. Those behind him in line received no desssert."

Dietian for the army. Hard job. Hard schooling. She's tough, is Caroline. And I bet fascinating and funny to talk with. I've pinpointed the house in which her mother grew up and where her Aunt Hannah lived. Her mother's childhood home is still there and residential. But her Aunt Hannah's home, in line with similarly beautiful Victorian buildings, are now zoned commercial. There's a legal firm and a few other small businesses in it.

And Caroline: the Bethel railroad station is still there, carefully preserved. It's been an art gallery and is now home to the Bethel Cycle shop - which funny as it sounds, is a great place for it. Putnam House is still across the street, as is Greenwood's Opera House (what was it then? It's a restaurant now). I eat at both frequently. There's a new RR station down the road that is the continuation of the one between Putnam and the old RR station (goes between the RR tracks on its left and then across the street, the library on the right) and it's further down that road just before the big curve and T intersection where a right turn takes you back past PT Barnum Square.

If you read your reviews, just in case you don't know anyone still around here, I think it's possible to contact me through this review via Amazon. I'd love to converse with you and would be happy to take pictures of the area and the houses and send them to you. It's still a very charming town with a great deal of what was probably here when you were!

Thanks for writing this book. Please write a follow up soon!
____________
I could have sworn I'd added this already. I've talked with her on the phone a few times - wonderful conversations. She lives in CA now. Unfortunately I didn't know her when she was still coming to Bethel, and now at 93, she says she's not likely to return. How I would have loved to wander around the town with her and listen to her talk! Nevertheless, she's told me some great and novel things about the town in which I live.

She's an amazing lady - warm and funny and a natural story teller. Her mother lived to age 107 and published a book of poetry at 103 (I think I have those numbers right!) Caroline sent me the book and the poems are terrific. Obviously the reason Caroline is so amazing is that it runs in the family.

I'm fascinated with history that's so close to me (and I'm kind of weird in that I "fantasize" about wormholes and going back in time) and feel very privileged to have read this book and spoken with her on the phone several times.

You don't have to live in Bethel to appreciate this book - this book doesn't really have anything to do with where I live except that she grew up here. If you're into what this book is about (not necessarily Bethel), you could live in Iowa and still totally dig this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7