Profile for A. Bartlett > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Bartlett "Angela" RSS Feed (California)

Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt
Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt
by Chris Hedges
Price: $15.59
133 used & new from $3.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Damning., December 5, 2012
This book is not about partisan politics. It's about taking an honest look at ourselves in the mirror to see and analyze all of the damage we are doing to others, and to ourselves. The book begins with a list of all of the ways in which we are at the bottom rung of industrialized nations in terms of healthcare, education, debt, etc. and then launches into reporting on some of the most desperate and impoverished people in South Dakota, West Virginia, New Jersey, and Florida. These people have been systematically destroyed by the government and/or corporations while we have stood idly by. The graphic elements are excellent, and I especially appreciated the profiles of individuals to illustrate some of the point of some of the broader reporting. I also appreciate Hedge's ferocious, unrelenting voice and the context he provides. For me, the weakest chapter was the one on the Occupy movement. Although it was also good, it was more abstract and philosophical and less moving than the other four chapters. That said, I think every American should read this book and be moved to action.

ASICS Men's GEL-DS Trainer 17 Running Shoe
ASICS Men's GEL-DS Trainer 17 Running Shoe
Price: $54.99 - $114.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Same as the red ones, September 24, 2012
I am a woman with big feet, so I have to buy men's shoes. Asics seem to run narrower than most men's shoes. I had two pairs of the red 16s before these, and these feel exactly the same. They are a bit uglier, and, yes, kinda feminine, but that's fine with me. They are lightweight, with excellent cushioning and some stability for moderate overpronators like myself. I don't think they are chunkier or heavier at all (as one reviewer put it). They are just a different color. I run about 20 miles per week at this point in time, but put hundreds of miles on my previous 16s and they held up very well.

Virtue Of War: Reclaiming the Classic Christian Traditions East and West
Virtue Of War: Reclaiming the Classic Christian Traditions East and West
by Alexander F. C. Webster
Price: $14.68
43 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars This is just what we need..., August 7, 2007
Yeah, we really need more war and more religious extremists with weapons. Did you ever pause to think that maybe "they" think they are just as well and that the word "righteous" is subjective?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2014 12:25 PM PDT

Mac and Me
Mac and Me
DVD ~ Christine Ebersole
Offered by amazingwildcat
Price: $6.22
45 used & new from $2.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Three stars for amusement only, July 29, 2007
This review is from: Mac and Me (DVD)
This movie is not good or touching in any way. But it is so insanely funny that it is worth the price. The best part is that it leaves room for a sequel at the end...a sequel that, sadly, never came.

Fascinating Creatures
Fascinating Creatures
Price: $14.62
12 used & new from $5.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Catchy, Beautiful, May 29, 2007
This review is from: Fascinating Creatures (Audio CD)
This cd has simple, beautiful lyrics and it isn't obnoxious in any way, which is a big bonus in a kids' cd. I LOVE this cd and so does my 2 year old son.

The Kite Runner
The Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini
2800 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is not good!, December 30, 2006
This review is from: The Kite Runner (Paperback)
Everyone loves this book, but I don't get it. The story is interesting, but I think a truly successful novel has a good story AND tells that story artfully. This book fails to do the latter. The second half is rushed and you can see the work the author put into the novel. By this I mean that you can actually tell when the author's editor told him to make changes.