Profile for K. Morgan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Morgan RSS Feed

iRulu 7 inch Android Tablet PC, 4.2 Jelly Bean OS, Dual Core, Allwinner A23 CPU, Dual Cameras, 5 Point Capacitive Touch Screen, 8GB Storage,Pink Color
Offered by IRULU
Price: $43.99
5 used & new from $43.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price I paid, but still has some issues..., September 26, 2014
I just got this tablet today and there are two things I want to say about it. 1. I am really impressed by how fast it is. I've had another tablet of similar quality (and 3 different android smart phones) that wasn't nearly as fast. This thing does everything incredibly fast. I'm sure that will slow down some the longer I use it and download more apps, etc. but I've never had anything that was this fast and responsive straight out of the box.

2. However, when I go into settings and try to go into "location" it immediately gives me the "settings has stopped" message and closes out. Every single time. A reboot didn't help. I saw in settings under "about tablet" that there is an "update" option so I thought that might help so I tried that and it won't update, it just keeps giving me an "unknown error" message, so I don't know what that's about either. It's usually a pretty bad sign when things are already not working as soon as you purchase something. If these are the only two problems I have with this tablet I'll still be satisfied with my purchase because I don't really need location services anyway. But I'll try to come back and update this review later on if I find any more problems.

At this point I went ahead and gave it 3 stars because I only paid $45.99 for this tablet so despite the issues I just mentioned I still feel like that was a pretty good deal.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2014 1:58 PM PST

The Bone War of Mccurtain County: A True Story of Two Ordinary Men's Quest for Treasure and Their Epic Battle Against Extraordinary Odds
by Russell Ferrell
7 used & new from $39.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story about two average men that made one of the most important scientific discoveries in history., November 10, 2013
I really enjoyed The Bone War of McCurtain County. It starts out a little slow but It's a very interesting, well researched book. The first two chapters are basically used to set up the historical context you need to know and the background information about the people involved. It's a fascinating (and true) story about two men (Cephis Hall, a "hillbilly" and Sid Love, a Choctaw Indian) in Oklahoma that just happened to find one of the most important finds in archaeology. They were basically just looking for dinosaur bones in general but came across the Acrocanthosaurus. The Acrocanthosaurus was basically a huge, carnivorous dinosaur that existed in the Cretaceous period. But because they were amateurs, they had to struggle against corporations, two major universities, politicians, and other scientists to stake their claim on what they had found. Basically it seemed like the whole world was against them.
This is a great story for anyone that is interested in science or history or even someone that just enjoys rooting for the "little guy". The author does a great job of really helping you get a sense of what it's like to be on a real archaeological dig and by the time you finish the book you feel like you know these two men like they're old friends. And of course, one of the most important things to take away from this book is that you should never give up your dreams and perseverance usually pays off in the long run.

Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas
Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas
by Abby Sunderland
Price: $15.84
182 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas, April 11, 2011
Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas by Abby Sunderland and Lynn Vincent is an amazing tale of Abby's goal to sail around the world, nonstop, and unassisted. At first glance a story like this seems pretty cut and dry. Someone sets out on an amazing journey and whether they accomplish their goal or not, we all stand back and ooh and ahh without even realizing that there is usually more to the story then we realize and that is certainly the case with Abby Sunderland's campaign to sail around the world.

A big part of the book deals with the fact that Abby and her family were talked about and treated badly for what they were doing. The media especially gave them a hard time. I can understand why people were concerned because after all, Abby was only 16 years old, but it's amazing how people were so quick to accuse the family of forcing their daughter into sailing around the world for fame and money. What a lot of people don't realize is that the entire family spent a lot of time on the sea and it was Abby's dream to sail around the world and no one else's. But she also had a lot of supporters to help encourage her when things were getting hard.

Aside from that, reading about her journey is fascinating. She had a lot of great days and bad days but she says the overall experience was incredible and well worth it. As most people already know, she didn't get to finish sailing the globe. Her boat, Wild Eyes, was hit by a rouge wave which dismasted the boat and did a lot of other damage so she was stranded and had to be rescued. But even before that moment, there were a lot of close calls. Here is an excerpt from one of her terrifying moments. "The wind wailed. Freezing waves broke against my body. Between waves, i was standing in the water, sometimes knee deep. I couldn't stay where I was. I had only one choice: I had to unclip the safety line from my harness. It was a terrifying choice: do it or die...or maybe, do it and die...."

It's a pretty exciting book. I enjoyed this book and I learned a lot about sailing that I didn't know. I think Abby is an amazing person for having the courage to do what she did.

We Be Big: The Mostly True Story of How Two Kids from Calhoun County, Alabama, Became Rick and Bubba
by Don Keith
Price: $14.37
99 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of We Be Big, March 8, 2011
If you're not familiar with Rick and Bubba, they run a radio show called (I bet you'll never guess...) Rick and Bubba. I'm very familiar with the show. I haven't listened to it in a long time (because I'm not a morning person and I work an evening shift now) but when I was an EMT everyone I worked with listened to them. Since I'm so familiar with their show I just had to read this book!

Anyway, We Be Big is the story of how the show came to be. It's pretty interesting to learn about their childhoods and backgrounds. They talk about some of the mistakes they've made along with way and some of the problems they faced. When they started the Rick and Bubba show, people loved them! But they refused to do what all their bosses wanted (playing the "hits", sticking to a format, etc.) and so they had a lot of issues and the show almost got canceled a few times. But no matter what they were up against, they always maintained a positive attitude and they refuse to be fake. They cover just about every topic imaginable on their radio show and they make no effort to hide their country accents or their faith in God.

A lot of the book is pretty funny. They talk about all the pranks and stunts they used to pull, including getting their fans to call other radio shows and do a shout out to the Rick and Bubba show. But they also talk about some of the horrible things that happened along the way. They talk about the morning of 9/11 and how they put the jokes aside in order to keep the nation informed of what was going on. They also talk about Rick losing one of his children and how they made it through that with the help of their friends and family and their faith in God.

If you are a Christian, you'll really enjoy this book. One of the major parts of We Be Big is that no matter what was going on, they never stopped believing that God had a bigger plan for them. And regardless of what you may personally believe, you really have to admire the fact that they stand up for what they believe in and they refuse to be moulded into people they're not.

Civil War Curiosities: Strange Stories, Oddities, Events, and Coincidences
Civil War Curiosities: Strange Stories, Oddities, Events, and Coincidences
by Webb Garrison
Price: $10.00
444 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Curiosities of the Civil War, very interesting book, February 17, 2011
I'm usually not that interested in history (I'm more of a science girl), but I think one of the biggest reasons I usually can't get interested in history is because it's usually presented in a really boring way. "General so-and-so did this on such and such date and blah blah blah..." Lets face it, there is only so much of that a person can take.

But that is why I was interested in checking out this book. This book has all kinds of interesting and unusual stories and facts about the Civil War, which in my opinion makes learning about the Civil War a lot more interesting. Everyone remembers the big stuff but learning about the smaller things really puts you in the moment. It gives you a much better idea of what the war was really like.

Some interesting things from the book...

Camels were used for a short period of time in the Civil War? According to the book, U.S. Secretary of War Jefferson Davis decided to use camels because they were accustomed to desert life and therefore, would be more useful than horses. But after the camels died they went back to using horses.

Many women actually disguised themselves and went into battle right along with the men.

During the battle of Bull Run, Brig. Gen. Barnard E. Bee realized that the Confederate forces were gaining the upper hand. He remarked "Yonder stands Jackson like a stone wall; let's go to his assistance." No one knows if he meant that as a compliment for resisting Federal charges or if he meant to criticize him for remaining stationary instead of moving into action. But that is how Thomas J. Jackson got his famous nickname of "Stonewall Jackson".

I really enjoyed this book and that is saying a lot considering that I fully admit that I'm not a history buff. But this book was really interesting and the information is presented in a fun way. I have a lot of friends and family members that love history and most of them didn't know a lot of the stories in this book, so this book would make a great gift for anyone that likes history or anyone that is a Civil War buff.