Profile for Mad Max > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 238

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mad Max RSS Feed (Seattle, WA USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
David Archy Men's 4 Pack Bamboo Fibre Light Weight Trunks (S, White+Gray)
David Archy Men's 4 Pack Bamboo Fibre Light Weight Trunks (S, White+Gray)
Offered by CN-Smashing
Price: $45.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings. Some great features. But already started fraying, May 12, 2015
The bottom line on these is that they started fraying after just 3 washes. And I hand wash with gentle soap, and followed the directions.

Nonetheless, there are some good features, so I'm giving them 2-stars instead of 1-star:

Pros:
* Wicking & anti-microbial. This is the only reason I got them - to stay dry at the gym. And they definitely do work for that. Difficult to find good wicking undergarments for men.
* Stretchy fabric. They don't make a lot of mens clothing in super stretchy fabric.
* I got one size larger than my actual size. Waist fits great (glad I ordered large). But they're too tight where it counts! Onto the cons...

Cons:
* They fall apart quickly. Super thin fabric. I use these for active wear, but that hardly seems an excuse. I secretly carry the expectation that my undergarments should last a decade!
* Even though they're super stretchy, they still smash the goods. I wouldn't be able to wear them all day.
* They're not really boxer briefs - they're just normal briefs. Yes they have legs, but they're not cut long enough to stay in place. They ride up your thigh the minute you sit, bend over, etc. So they end up fitting just like normal briefs.

I agree with the reviewer who said, "I really wanted to love these." I don't hate them, but I'm disappointed. At $5 each, I hope I can at least get 5 uses out of each pair.

Hope this helps!

The Prosperity Principles: Secrets to developing and maintaining generational wealth
by Tanya Marchiol
Price: $16.16
24 used & new from $9.28

1.0 out of 5 stars Great book!... if you want to end up in jail, April 12, 2015
This person is a sham, much like Barbara Ehrenreich describes in her excellent book, Bait & Switch.

I've heard a lot of this type of prosperity talk in Christian communities, and apparently that's how Tanya Marchiol met many of her clients. She would speak at churches and blog on Christian sites. She is now in prison, somehow receiving only a 4 year sentence (a long laundry list of bad behaviors, not including fines & government seizure of her property).

I find her Principle #1 very ironic - She tells us to make "wise" decisions, not emotional decisions. Well Tanya, is greed an emotion? When you decided to launder drug money to help criminals buy a house, was that a "wise" decision or was it rooted in greed?

Sleep Master 8-Inch Spring Mattress, Queen
Sleep Master 8-Inch Spring Mattress, Queen
Price: $193.76
2 used & new from $189.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It works great for me. Here's 8 things to help you decide if it's right for you..., January 17, 2015
It's tough buying a mattress, of all things, without trying it first. But after going to several local stores, I was looking for firm & simple (no pillow top), and I didn't fall in love with anything, and most of them were in the $2,000-$3,000 price range (YIKES!).

So I figured, I'd gamble on this mattress for $200. Actually, the gamble paid off. Almost 3 months later it's holding up just fine. Here's the information I *wish* I'd known before ordering:

1) It ships "compressed", in a surprisingly small box. You will not believe they fit a whole mattress in there. Take the box to your bedroom (do *not* open it on the porch LOL), open the box on your bed, and stand back! It takes just a couple minutes (do it slowly, it will unfold itself). But it takes 24 hours to really regain it's full shape. IMPORTANT: Open some windows for at least an hour, you'll get some latex fumes (which actually can be dangerous).

2) No, you CANNOT return this item. There's no way you'll ever get it back in that box (they use a huge machine to fold the mattress up). Make sure this is what you want before you order, because you're stuck with it.

3) Yes it's a real mattress. It's not foam or anything like that, it's a real coil / spring mattress with a thin layer of batting on top (like 1/4", maybe 1/2").

4) THIS MATTRESS IS MEDIUM-FIRM.

I'm laughing at the varying reviews, opinions are all over the map! Some say it's soft as a pillow, others say it's hard as a brick, LOL. Most people (including mattress sales people) don't know how to rate a mattress. THIS IS A 7 (out of 10). Also be aware, soft mattresses are bad for your back. This is a well-studied fact.

5) The coils are fine, but make no mistake, this is a cheaply made mattress. It has no sidewalls at all (i.e., for sitting on the edge of the bed). The stitching is fine, but it's far from high quality. I estimate it will last about 5 years, maybe more if you're gentle with it.

6) It is not reversible. You should rotate it every 3-6 months, but you cannot flip it - there's no padding on the underside.

7) This is best on a box spring (not included). You can use it on a platform bed, on the floor, just about anywhere you want. But like any coil mattress, it's best on a box spring. (This will *not* work on a futon, hospital bed, or anything that folds up - the mattress only lays flat).

8) Bottom line: This is a basic, medium-firm, spring mattress. No frills at all. But I'm still shocked at the price, I can't believe it's under $200 with free shipping.

For me, this works great. I personally wish it were firmer, but a 7/10 is pretty good. I hope these notes are helpful to you, to decide if this mattress is right for you.

Preschool All-In-One Learning - Bubble School Adventure A to Z: Basic Skills Games for Kids - Learn to Read and Count with Animals (220 Interactive Flash Cards) - Educational Toy for Baby, Toddler & Kindergarten Explorers by Abby Monkey® (Lite)
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars boring, December 25, 2014
Free version doesnt really have games at all, just pop the balloon. Based on this i would never buy the pro version.

Classic Brands Defend-A-Bed Premium Hypoallergenic Waterproof Mattress Pad, Vinyl Free, Queen Size
Price: $17.99
3 used & new from $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, fits great, quiet...but I don't think it will last more than a year or so, December 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Great fit, we have a normal mattress (probably 9"). I suspect it would fit a thicker mattress just fine. And it stays in place just fine.

This is just a topper (our previous mattress pad covered the entire thing). At first it was a little noisy/crinkly under the fitted sheet, but that went away quickly and it now makes almost no noise. And it provides a pretty good barrier, nothing has spilled through yet.

I think this is a good deal for $17 free shipping. Great for a variety of uses, we are just wanting to prevent toddler spills & messes from ruining our new mattress.

It is thin, though, and looks rather beat up after a wash. It shouldn't need to be washed too often, but I don't expect it to last more than a year. Our other mattress pad was much more durable (we paid about $35 for it). Nonetheless, $17 is good insurance to protect your mattress.

Traditional Boxed Christmas Cards ~ Set of 20 Variety Cards and Envelopes (Santa)
Offered by RMKeeley6
Price: $10.89
3 used & new from $5.59

1.0 out of 5 stars These come from the Dollar Store. And they're not worth a dollar., November 28, 2014
LOL, ok, so half the envelope are glued shut. The other half are mangled.

The cards are small, cheaply printed, & unevenly folded. The cover Santa is cute, but the other cards are not cute.

One of the envelopes (pictured) was just half an envelope! Part of the card is hanging out LOL.

Out of 20 cards, I only got 19 envelopes, and only 2 of those were functional. Only 3 cards were folded evenly, the rest I'd be embarrassed to send. So for $10 I got 2.5 cards.

The manufacturer is Greenbrier Int'l, which is Dollar Tree. So the seller paid no more than $1 for this set of cards. Hardly worth a buck.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Chamois Butt'r GoStik Skin Lubricant, 2.5-Ounce
Chamois Butt'r GoStik Skin Lubricant, 2.5-Ounce
Price: $13.54
27 used & new from $7.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, even on areas that are already chafed, November 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Works great, even on areas that are already chafed. Naturally this is a preventative product, it does not *treat* chafing. But all the ingredients in here are gentle, so even if you have a little chafing you can use this on top and it will be fine.

To treat chafing, by the way, avoid soaps, deodorants, or any products that have any fragrance or chemicals. Depending on the severity, use hydrogen peroxide or colloidal silver (never at the same time), or, some witch hazel, on a soft rag. If you use soap, make sure it's all natural, such as Burts Bees. All of the products I'm mentioning are extremely inexpensive & available anywhere. Make sure to rinse with one of the above, & get a fan or hair dryer on the area until completely dry, several times a day. Using this method, you can almost always get rid of chafing within 24 hours.

Primula Flavor Now 2.7-Quart Pitcher with Instant Infuser, Flavor Wand and Chill Core, Cherry
Price: $25.49
11 used & new from $21.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Just ok, a strange design. But it does make tea! (or tea/water hybrid), November 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is basically just an infuser pitcher, and since the infuser part is made from mesh, I was hoping I could add some tea with my fruit! (great recipe: 4 slices cucumber, 1 small slice lemon, 1 TBSP hibiscus tea. Lots of health benefits, great for heart health, great for kids, etc)

Ok what surprised me was the infuser has no lid or cap. So if you fill the pitcher to the top, your fruit or tea will spill into the water, especially when pouring. Alternatively, the chill core is too tall, goes all the way to the top and blocks the pour spout. So basically you have to take the attachments out to use the pitcher. Just strange. Pour spout is kindof strange too. None of this is a deal killer, but I'm just not a fan of the design.

Frankly this is not much better than just throwing some cucumber slices in a regular pitcher. But the attachments are useful for certain situations, it's nice to have a pitcher specifically dedicated to infused water (and fruity/flowery tea), and it's pretty inexpensive. So I don't have a lot of room to complain. I will add, if you like to made iced toddy, this will definitely work, but you won't be able to use it for anything else (it will make your infused water smell like coffee).

3.5-stars.

The After [HD]
The After [HD]
DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars Aahhh! This has been canceled, November 8, 2014
I was reluctant to watch this - I hate getting into a show that won't be produced. (Even worse than getting into a show that eventually gets canceled).

I read Amazon ordered a whole season ... but then they reversed themselves!

To me, this show was very Chris Carter. It could have been an X-files episode. A little slow & dry at first, but intriguing, and with a cliff-hanger at the end.

And I liked the cast. Adrian Pasdar (Senator from Heroes), Jamie Kennedy, Aldis Hodge (Hardison from Leverage), and a mix of some other familiar faces & also some newcomers.

My guess is that the whole thing is a modern interpretation of the Book of Revelation. There was a lot of numerology & symbolism in the pilot that was not explained - I believe it's borrowed from Revelation, and they had intended to slowly unpack the story line over the course of the season.

Behavior Therapy and Beyond (McGraw-Hill series in psychology)
Behavior Therapy and Beyond (McGraw-Hill series in psychology)
by Arnold A. Lazarus
38 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Terribly outdated methods. Might be useful as a negative example, October 29, 2014
This is a terribly outdated book, I can only see it useful as a negative example of how far the psychology professions have come.

It encourages the therapist to do all the "work" for the patient (pushing, prodding, interpretation, conclusions, etc), which is not only harmful, but now considered unethical. Has violent undertones. The use of outdated language is laughable. I'm actually surprised this was published in 1971 - seems more like something from the 40's or 50's.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20