Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD Kids Edition Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for Roy > Reviews

Browse

Roy's Profile

Customer Reviews: 58

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Roy RSS Feed (El Dorado Hills, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
My American Husband: A woman from Beijing living in Silicon Valley (Volume 1) (Chinese Edition)
by S. Sherman Zhang

3M Peltor X-Series Over-the-Head Earmuffs, NRR 31 dB, One Size Fits Most, Black X5A (Pack of 1)
Price: $25.43
12 used & new from $10.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, January 5, 2015
Very comfortable and good muffling for gun shooting. I don't understand the less than 5 star reviews. Highly recommend.

Minisuit Kinnect Case for iPhone 6 PLUS (5.5")
Minisuit Kinnect Case for iPhone 6 PLUS (5.5")
Offered by MiniSuit
Price: $11.15
2 used & new from $11.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend for 6 plus owners, December 9, 2014
Low cost, high quality! Highly recommend for 6 plus owners!

I was looking for a good case, with clear view (but not soft clear which would discolor very soon!), yet, not bulky one. So when Amazon has same, I bought totally 5 different cases for 6 plus (yeah, record in my amazon order history, I know it is crazy), this one is really a surprise. It is not bulky, but yet sturdy. Looks slippery, but due to a few rubber line (which in line with iphone itself!) it is not. It is tight, yet provide fairly good protection. If you want absolute protection, go with the bulky one. There is no such one not bulky yet provide bullet proof protection.

IMO, this one provides the best combination of protection and slim fit. The only improvement I wish is the the feeling of buttons, it is a little soft, but I am used to it now. 5 stars for no-sacrifice design and I wish to give one more star for the price, given the quality.

NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router (R8000)
NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router (R8000)
Offered by Paramv
Price: $277.00
33 used & new from $216.92

4.0 out of 5 stars but you don't need to upgrade if you already have a AC router with good range like R7000, October 24, 2014
It is solid router, but you don't need to upgrade if you already have a AC router with good range like R7000.

2.4Ghz speed is as good as other good routers, range is very good indeed, better than I expected, signal is stronger than my Asus N16 with 3 external 6db antennas.

5Ghz speed is superb, if you sit next to the router. But range is terrible so forget about it. Compare to R7000, the 2 5Ghz channels are not really useful. Most probably you won't see the benefit. The USB 3.0 port is fast, but why don't upgrade the other USB2.0 to USB3.0?

I got this router at very good price (almost 50% of listing price) so I am happy. But if you already have a R7000 type of router, you don't need to upgrade. If you are looking for a new router, I would recommend a R7000 with much lower price.

This is a solid router, but price is just too high to justify the features you don't need or won't use.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2014 8:44 PM PDT

Diztronic Pink GlitterFlex Flexible TPU Case for Apple iPhone 5 / 5S - Retail Packaging

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks good at the very beginning but discolor in a few months, 60 days warranty!, October 19, 2014
Looks good at the very beginning with clear material (early March). After a few months, the clear material started to have cloud. Now after just 6 months it looks like very dirty and clear material became dark and looks very ugly. My wife has to look for a new case!

Look for a different case!

Here is response from manufacturer:
===========================================================
We have a 60 day warranty.

Discoloring is an unfortunate side-effect of clear and semi-clear tpu (used in the glitter pink). We do have additives in the material to help prolong the color, but unfortunately the discoloration and yellowing still occurs. Keeping the clear and semi-clear cases out of direct sunlight can drastically help the longevity.

Komputerbay Compact Flash Card Adapter MicroSD/MicroSDHC/MicroSDXC to High Speed CF TYPE I

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, works on 5D Mark II, August 12, 2014
So far so good, works on 5D Mark II. I put a Sandisk Ultra 64GB card in and had to format it before I can use this adapter. Write speed is about 5.5-8MB/s with a CF card reader. I tried to use it to shoot video on 5D2 and only had buffer problem once. I saw buffer sign on LCD a few times but it went away shortly and won't stop me to shoot video.

I shoot RAW only. I can continuously shoot 12 pictures before it slows down. RAW+HQ/L JPG gives 10. LG/HQ JPG only gives 51. It takes about 30 seconds to empty the buffer. But a few seconds later you can start to shoot, just not continuously as initial.

It meets my expectation and CF type I makes it more flexible. I recommend it if you have an old DSLR with CF slot.

RAVPower Element 10400mAh Portable Charger External Battery Pack Power Bank 2-Port 3A with iSmart Technology for Phones, Tablets and more-Black
Offered by Sunvalleytek
Price: $39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A good battery pack with large capacity, but it has some drawbacks., July 2, 2014
A good battery pack with a lot of capacity, but it's bulky and charges very slow and get warm.

I have a USB current/voltage meter. I tested it with IPAD 3/Air and iphone 4/5S as well as HTC One X and Nexus 7. The batter pack is pretty good to charge all the devices. The charge currents meet or is very close to the OEM chargers across the board. I get 1.9A charge current with IPAD 3/Air which is not bad. So I have no complains.

But there a few issues:

-- The battery pack itself charges very slow with less than 0.7A current. I tried IPAD/Iphone/Nexus7/S4 OEM chargers and all get same result. Overnight charge (which means 8 hours to me) is not enough. So if I travel 2nd day morning, I need to start to charge it lunch time the day before.
-- It gets VERY warm when I use it to charge IPAD (and another device). I means VERY warm, and I start to worry the risk of fire/explosion.
-- Its exterior shape is not so cute and a little hard to hold. It looks tiny but in reality it is pretty bulky.
-- Capacity leaves some to desire. Its capacity is slightly less than IPAD 3 (assume all electricity can be transfered to IPAD) and cannot fully charge it once! I tried with a dead IPAD 3 and it charges it to less than 90% before drain.

Because of these issues, I eventually give it to my brother and bought the Zilu 13000mAh one which I am very happy with.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2014 7:18 PM PDT

ZILU Smart Power 13000mAh Portable Charger External Battery Pack Backup Power Bank Dual USB for iPhone iPad Samsung and more, Retail Package, Blue
2 used & new from $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice product, meet the specs and my expectation, July 2, 2014
Very nice product, meet the specs and my expectation, highly recommend!

#################################################################

I was looking for a battery pack with enough juice to charge tablets and phones. I bought the RAVPower Element 10400mAh one, it is not bad, but it has a few issues. Mainly the charge speed of battery pack itself. With < 0.7A current, it needs more than over night to charge the battery pack full. Also one fully charged battery pack is not enough to charge my IPAD 3, which has 11600mAh battery capacity. Its square shape is also too bulky and gets too warm when I charge IPAD. So I gave it to my brother and look for a better one.

I found this at Amazon. It looks nice, the capacity is 13000mAH which is more than enough for one charge for IPAD3, and most importantly, charging current for battery pack itself is rated at 2A. so I ordered it. After using it more than a week, I could say I am not disappointed. I am very happy with it and highly recommend to anyone looking for a large capacity battery pack.

#################################################################

I used a USB current/voltage meter to measure the current and voltage. I tried a few different chargers. With a Samsung OEM 2A charger, the battery pack draws 2.02A and charges in less than 8 hours! It charges much faster than my old one. Then I tried the Nexus 7 OEM charger which is rated at 1.35A, The battery pack draws 1.5A and the charger just gets a little warm. The battery pack got charged overnight (I estimate charge time about 9-10 hours). Please note charge current gets down when battery pack is close to full.

I also tried IPAD charger, it draws about 1.2A, which is not as good as I expected, but still very respectful. The apple product is notorious for its compatibility, so I am not very surprised.

So in summary, 1.5-2A Android chargers are better to be used to charge this battery pack.

#################################################################

Now I started charge phones and tablets. I have HTC One X, Iphone 3GS/4/5S, IPAD 2/3/Air and Nexus 7. All phones/talbets are with less than 40% charge. If batteries are close to full, then charge current would drop!

-- HTC One X charge current is 0.7A on either port, same as OEM charger.
-- iPhone 3GS/4/5S all get similar result. Charge current is 0.9-0.98A on either port while Apple OEM charger provides equal or slightly higher current.
-- Nexus 7 draws 1.12A from either port, while with OEM charger current is 1.18A, which is also very close.
-- With IPAD 2/3/Air, with 1A port they all draws 0.98A. With 2A port they all draws 2-2.02A, which is actually slightly higher than OEM charger. With Apple OEM charger I measured 1.92A max.

Voltage numbers are pretty stable at 4.97-4.98V.

For capacity, I charged iphone 5S for 5 times it still has one solid light on. Then I tried the IPAD 3 with only 8% battery left. The fully charged battery pack was able to charge it to full with the the last LED light started to flash. I would say capacity rating is very close the spec and it should get better after a few charge/discharge cycles based on my experience.

When I charge IPAD with 2.02A current, the battery pack get a little warm, but not bad at all.

Here is my summary:

Pros:
-- Current to charge battery pack itself is 2A!
-- Charges IPAD with 2A current.
-- Enough capacity to fully charge IPAD's or to charge smart phones for whole family.
-- Good looking, not bulky and easy to hold.

A few things to improve:
-- Make it to draw 2A from IPAD OEM charger which is very popular indeed.
-- Make 2 ports equal so I don't need to make sure I am using the right port for IPAD.

BTW, I saw some people asked for more USB ports. Remember the more ports, the less current for each port. The total output current should not be very large, otherwise the battery pack would get VERY warm which is not good (life time of battery pack, and risk of fire/explosion). My previous battery got VERY warm that I dare not to charge 2 tablets at the same time.

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga  12.5-Inch Convertible 2 in 1 Touchscreen Ultrabook (20CD0032US)
Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 12.5-Inch Convertible 2 in 1 Touchscreen Ultrabook (20CD0032US)
7 used & new from $800.00

5.0 out of 5 stars which I like. But I don't like its keyboard and "mouse", July 2, 2014
I have used quite a few think pad laptops since year 2001. From T20/T40/T60/X220. Now it is time to upgrade. I tried a few other laptops including Asus ultrabook and MBA/MBP. I still missing the black thinkpad, especially the red pointing device. So I searched and compared the Carbon X1 and Yoga. My wife has 1st generation Carbon X1. Carbon has 14 inch screen with 1600x900 resolution, which I like. But I don't like its keyboard and "mouse", it feels not as good as the old thinkpads. The idea of 2 in 1 Yoga attracted me and I decide to try it. I am not disappointed!

It is a very solid ultrabook, the keyboard and the red "mouse" is as good as the old thinkpads, better than X1. Touch screen is as good as a IPAD, it can be used as a tablet as well, or even better than a tablet when you sit on sofa. The learning curve of Win 8.1 used as tablet is a little longer than IPAD, but hey, this is Win 8.1, the most versatile and complex OS, and I figured out after having it for just a few hours of usage.

Pros:
Very solid! Even better than T series.
Good keyboard and the red "mouse" with backlit.
It is still a thinkpad! Plus 2 in 1.
Tablet mode is easy to use, and even easier to use when you put in on your leg or table!

Cons:
It should not be a con, but I list it here. It is a little heavy, I wish it is around 2.5lb, but at 3.5lb, it feels solid!
It has 2 USB 3.0 ports, which I wish to see 3. This is not a big issue though.
It has just a mini HDMI port, no (mini) Display port! Come on Lenovo, this is a business laptop, why you put HDMI while no display port?
I used to put a SD card as another storage, but on Yoga, the SD card are not completely inside the Yoga body, it has about 1mm out. Why?

PowerGen® 4.2Amps / 20W Dual USB Car charger Designed for Apple and Android Devices - Black
Offered by POWERGEN
Price: $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Works for IPAD 3 and nexus 7, but not for S4 and iphone's without enough current., May 30, 2014
I have quite a few USB car chargers with, dual port, but total current is about 0.6A and it can charge one phone at most. Given them very low price, I cannot complain. I need a dual port charger which can provide enough current to charge the phone while I am using it as GPS. That's the main purpose I bought this charger. I also want to use it to charge tablets.

I use a USB current meter to measure the voltage and current: http://www.amazon.com/BESTOPE-Charger-Doctor-Current-Voltage/dp/B00GC9I61I

For IPAD3 and Nexus 7, I got the same current as wall charger, which is I expected. IPAD 3 reaches 1.9A, and Nexus 7 reaches 1.1A, voltage is about 5.05V, That's very good result.

But when I charge the phone, it charges slower than I expected. If I use the phone as GPS, it charges very slow. I measured. No matter which cable or which port I use, I only get 0.7A with Galaxy S4 or Iphone 5S and iphone 4. With OEM wall charger I can get 1.7A for S4 (if battery is lower than 60%) and 1.0A for iphone's.

So this charger is only partially working as it states. I paid much higher price than generic one, it works for tablets, which is good. But it does not meet the spec when it charges phones.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6