Profile for RocketMan1969 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

RocketMan1969 "rocketman1969" RSS Feed (Cleveland)

Page: 1 | 2
Into the Looking Glass
Into the Looking Glass
Price: $6.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Romp, March 3, 2014
If you like your SciFi with a minimum of unobtainium and lots of bug-eyed monsters, then you have come to the right place.

Fiskars 17 Inch Staysharp Push Reel Lawn Mower (6208)
Fiskars 17 Inch Staysharp Push Reel Lawn Mower (6208)
Offered by Acme Tools
Price: $169.00
17 used & new from $166.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Reel Mower Available and a Great Piece of Exercise Equipment as Well, March 12, 2013
I have been cutting my 1/2 acre lawn (19000 ft2 of actual grass) with reel mowers for 7 years now. Reel mowers make for a healthier lawn since the blades of grass are sheared off rather than bludgeoned off like with a standard gas powered rotorary mower. This results in thicker grass, fewer weeds and fewer bugs. This is why golf courses use reel mowers almost exclusively. I started with the standard Scott's 20" mower from the local hardware store. It worked OK, but it was hard to push because the blades are in contact resulting in a lot of drag even when not cutting grass. And it didn't cut very evenly with lots of little tufts of grass left uncut. The result is that I had to often cross-cut the yard if I wanted it to look good. With this big a yard, even with 20" width that was just not practical.

Next I tried 16" Brill mowers from Germany. These used a non-contact cutting system that greatly reduced the resistance, one because there was no friction with the blades since they don't contact each other but two because the blades are made of harder material and stayed sharp longer. The Brills had two problems. One there were too narrow. They did cut well in one pass, but there were just a lot of passes. And two they didn't cut tall enough. If you have very rich deep soil with frequent rain or where you can water often, then the grass can do very well when cut to the 1"-1.5" height that the Brill can cut. My yard has neither of these things.

Then Fiskar came out with the Momentum mowers (now StaySharp Max) and we got two (my wife and I mow together, which is how we manage such a large yard with push mowers, though I have done it myself on occasion, so it is possible for one person to do it all). These mowers are unique in that they throw the grass clipping forward where they were cut and recut until they were cut into very fine pieces and fall below the level of the cut grass. The Momentum has a non-contact cutting system like the Brill, but it had a much heavier reel which resulted in higher momentum in the reel (hence the original name). This allowed more energy to be stored in the reel which keeps the mower from bogging down in a spot of heavy grass or stalling on a tiny twig. Also this mower adjusted for cutting heights up to 4"! Finally I could cut my grass at the 2" - 2 1/2" it does best at. But, and sadly there is a but, I came to not like the fact that the clippings were being thrown forward. First it tended to mat down the uncut grass resulting is some unevenness in the resulting cut, and two in thick grass it could be very hard to push since you were cutting new grass and recutting previously cut grass several more times. I think that all the recutting of clippings as well as the very large size of my yard resulted in the blades of these mowers becoming dull after just two years. When they first came out Fiskar didn't make a grass catcher for this mower, though there is one now. I am sure that with a smaller yard and the use of the catcher when the grass is very tall or especially thick that the mowers would have gone more than two seasons before becoming dull.

So finally at the start of last year we bought two of these 17" StaySharp mowers. They use the same high momentum reel of the original Momentum, but these discharge the clippings to the rear. The maximum cutting height is 3 1/2" rather than 4", but truth be told I never cut at 4" with the Momentum because the clippings pushed the uncut grass down below the 4" cutting height resulting in many places not getting cut! The 3 1/2" maximum cutting height on the StaySharp should be just fine. I find the mowing effort to be much lower than the Momentum because the clippings are only being cut once and then discharged. Plus the clippings are falling on already cut grass so there is no matting down of uncut grass. The result is more visible clippings on the surface of the grass as one would expect. My solution if the clippings are too thick for my tastes is to take an electric leaf blower and just sweep the airstream over the surface of the lawn. This causes the little clumps of clippings to be broken up and *all* of the clippings magically disappear below the surface of the lawn. I can sweep in 10' - 12' wide swaths, so this doesn't take very long. But I only do this because I am fussy. The clippings for the most part dry up and then disappear below the surface in no more than a day on their own. And lastly if the trick with the leaf blower doesn't work I have a 36" manual yard sweeper that has rotating bristles that sweep the recalcitrant clippings off the lawn and into a catcher. This also fluffs up the wheel marks so I can catch them when I cross-cut if I want a perfectly manicured lawn.

Based on all of this experience, I very highly recommend the StaySharp reel mower.

One last word on reel mowers, I think that anybody without a clear physical disability or more than a 1/2 acre of grass (and really do you need to keep so much in grass? let some of it become meadow) should be cutting their lawn with a reel mower. We all need more exercise. My wife and I try to mow a 1/3 of the yard at a time (about 5000 ft2). For our sized yard and with two of us doing it only takes 20-30 minutes for each 1/3. So at a minimum we get 3 really good aerobic workouts a week. Since there is no fueling or starting, we can just come home from work, jump into our lawn clothes and grab a mower and go. So it isn't hard at all to get in a little mowing each day. In the spring when the grass "explodes" out of the ground, we often need to cut each section twice a week, so our workouts increase to 6 a week. But this is just in time to blow off the rust that has accumulated all winter and lets us get our "beach bodies" back. The best thing is that at the end of our workout we also have our yard cut. If instead we went to the gym and made a treadmill go round and round 3-4 times a week, we would still need to spend 3+ hours on the weekend guiding a hugely noisy gas mower over the yard. So with reel mowers you get the exercise we all really need more of and you don't "harsh the calm" of your neighbors. Viewed as a piece of exercise equipment, the $150 StaySharp is a very cheap investment in your health.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2013 4:27 AM PDT

Cable Matters Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt™ Port Compatible) to HDMI Cable in White 10 Feet
Offered by Cable Matters
Price: $11.99
6 used & new from $9.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect to connect Macbook Pro to HDTV, March 12, 2013
This 10' cable is perfect to allow me to connect my Macbook Pro (2012) to my 52" plasma TV while sitting in my chair across the room. I have an HDMI port on the front of my A/V receiver that makes it simple to keep the cable in a drawer in the entertainment center nice and tidy, yet have the Mac connected and content playing on the big screen in just a minute or two. The only issue, and it might have nothing to do with this cable and everything to do with the nature of the conversion from DisplayPort to HDMI, is that there is a tiny bit of visual noise in all black sections of the screen such such as those when the screen fades to black between scenes. The amount is not objectionable and the noise is not apparent when there is actual video content playing out on the screen.

Ovega-3 Vegetarian Softgels, 500 mg, 60 Count
Ovega-3 Vegetarian Softgels, 500 mg, 60 Count
Offered by CB Select
Price: $24.57
27 used & new from $22.15

5.0 out of 5 stars DHA/EPA Without Strip Mining the Oceans, February 27, 2013
What's not to like. Exactly the same Omega-3 fatty acids as fish oil without strip mining the oceans and killing a bunch of fish. And no need to worry about mercury or other contaminants with an algae source. And since it never came from a fish there is none of that terrible fish-burbs you get with fish oil tablets.

Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
by Johnna Albi
Price: $16.25
94 used & new from $2.18

5.0 out of 5 stars So Not Your Grandmother's Greens, July 10, 2012
If your memory of greens is like mine it usually involves some innocent green boiled within an inch of its life with some bacon thrown in an attempt to make it so you don't immediately gag trying to eat it. If it is, then this cookbook will help you erase those horrible old memories and form exciting new ones that will have you searching around in that green leafy section of the produce department. You know the one, it is the one everybody walks on by unless they are grabbing a bagged salad. After a few recipes I now make a beeline to the greens cases to try some new green I have never ever thought of trying before in my life. And in the process of eating delicious meals you might also be saving your life. How many times have you seen the dietary advice that we "should eat more fruits and vegetables, especially leafy green vegetables" due to the many many positive health effects of leafy greens. And so you probably have thought that you should try to choke down some more limp slimy boiled spinach or just do more of the bunny thing and nibble on lettuce. Now with this cookbook I have dozens of great tasting recipes that I look forward to having that are also great for me.

The best part of the book however isn't the recipes, great though they are, it is the description of the different greens. Without that knowledge that wall of greens at the grocery store can be very intimidating. Now I look and see kale or swiss chard or mustard greens and I know what they are, what their basic flavor is, how they should be prepared, etc. Basically it becomes something I might want to eat.

One item of note is that this is not a vegan cookbook, but is very vegan friendly. The large majority of the recipes are animal-free or the animal product is simple to omit.

Stylus Pen, New Trent Arcadia (2PCS) Clickpen Stylus/Styli with [Micro-Knit Tip] [Retractable] for All Capacitive Touchscreen Smartphones and Tablets. [TwinPack: Black + White]
Offered by idealpoint
Price: $10.95
2 used & new from $10.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Great *Short* Stylus, May 2, 2012
The micro-knit tip on this stylus is absolutely the way to go. It slides over the screen so much more smoothly than any of the foam rubber tipped styluses. I have four foam tip styluses, but they are going to only be for back-up in case I loose my micro-knit stylus.

However despite the great tip, I can not recommend the IMP62B because of the very short length. I am a guy with fairly large hands and the top of the stylus barely reached the web between my thumb and index finger. It needs to be at least 2 inches longer. I passed it along to my wife who has very small hands. And even then it was borderline too short for her. I ordered the Boxwave micro-knit tipped stylus and am much happier with the longer length of the Boxwave.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2014 12:28 PM PST

The Irrational Atheist: Dissecting the Unholy Trinity of Dawkins, Harris, And Hitchens
Price: $3.03

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad it is almost funny, May 23, 2011
I went looking for a reasoned rebuttal to the so called New Atheists. I wanted to find the theist response to questions posed by Dawkins et al such as "if the universe could not have come into existence by natural processes, how does proposing an even more complex creator address that problem. After all if the spontaneous start of the universe is too unlikely, how much more unlikely is the spontaneous start of a being capable of creating the universe". Surely the problem of an infinite regression of gods has been addressed by theists somewhere. Instead I found this book where the author makes a nearly endless series of smug ad homenium attacks on the three. I am just glad that I only wasted $1.99 on a Kindle version. I intended to write an in depth review and point out some of the egregious examples, but life is too short.

Surely there must be a theist out there who can take on the questions raised raised by the atheist in a straight forward question/response way. The questions to be answered are easily found in the works by any of the atheist authors. Just pull them out and give it your best shot at why you come to a different answer. Don't waste my time pointing out that Dawkins doesn't know enough history, or Harris needs to address the theology of (insert your favorite theologian), or that Hichens must be using the wrong Bible in order to come to the conclusion he did, or any similar dodging of the questions. The questions are much more basic than that, the approach to answering them needs to be just as basic and straight forward.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2013 4:55 PM PDT

Retro 51 Refills Retractable Rollerball Blue Rollerball Pen - REF57P
Retro 51 Refills Retractable Rollerball Blue Rollerball Pen - REF57P
Offered by Court House Supplies
Price: $4.24
5 used & new from $3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Indeed, Life is too Short to Carry an Ugly Pen, July 5, 2010
Nice that I can order refills on-line. Otherwise I would have no idea were I could get refills for my wife's Retro 51 pen. She loves a nice pen that writes well. It is great that for just a few bucks I can make her happy. As to the purchase experience, the order was promptly filled and with the item that was ordered. Can't ask for better than that.

Ten One Design Pogo Sketch Stylus for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch (Silver)
Ten One Design Pogo Sketch Stylus for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch (Silver)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it claims to do, June 1, 2010
I purchased the Pogo Sketch to allow me to use one of the note taking applications on the iPad (SmartNote). The stylus is definitely better than using my finger. The iPad, like the iPhone/iPod, requires a capacitive touch of at least a minimum diameter. While this digitizer design works great for use with fingers, it does hamper the use of a stylus. That said the Sketch makes the best of this situation by providing a capacitive tip with the minimum contact diameter.

The stylus slides over the screen smoothly, and I don't have any issue with getting the iPad to recognize the stylus contact.

The issue I have with writing on the iPad in general is that this minimum contact size is definitely much larger than the tip of a pen. The result is that you can't exactly see what you center of the contact is, which is where the note app will place the line it generates as you write. It is something that you get better at with time, but I don't think I will ever get to where my on-screen hand writing on the iPad will look as good as my writing on paper. Still it is readable and it sure beats having to carry 5 or 6 note books around for so that I can keep a separate notebook for each of my projects that I work on. The one place that this stylus excels is with the photo manipulation apps and the drawing apps (as long as you aren't trying to do fine line pencil drawing). It would be nice if there was someway to shink the required contact area down with a setting variable. Then the stylus tip could be made smaller.

But any difficulties with writing on an iPad or iPhone screen is not the fault of the Pogo Stylus. The Stylus is comfortable to hold, it slides across the screen smoothly and is easily and continuously recognized by the iPad. As such it gets full marks for doing exactly what it said it was going to do.

Barmah Australian Hat Canvas Drover Beige L
Barmah Australian Hat Canvas Drover Beige L
Offered by Killer Hats Co

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits Good and Looks Great, April 9, 2010
When I first got the hat it was just the tiniest bit too small. But a little bit of gentle stretching results in a perfect fit. I really like the broad brim which keeps the sun off my skin even if I tilt my head a bit while working in the yard. What remains to be seen is how well I can clean it with a summer's worth of dirt,grime and sweat.

UPDATE (3/12/2013) After three summers this hat is holding up great and I am looking forward to a fourth summer. I use it while mowing my 1/2 acre lawn with an old-style manual reel mower (no engine just me-powered). Needless to say I work up a tremendous sweat. In fact to the point that this hat is soaked and sweat is dripping of the edge of the brim. I have washed it at the end of each summer in a bucket of warm water with Woolite, rinsed and let air dry and it looks as good as the day I bought it. During the summer I just let it air dry which it does very quickly. No discolorations due to sweat or obnoxious smell because it stayed damp too long.

My Wife and my Father were both so impressed that they each bought one for themselves. While there is nothing frilly or girly about this hat, it looks really good on my Wife. She uses it when we mow the lawn together (we have his & hers matching reel mowers because the couple that mows together stays together). Of course if you are female and want to look like a gardening socialite, this hat is definitely not for you. My Father took his back to Arizona where it plays a critical role in keeping his mostly bald head from becoming something resembling a slightly underdone soft-cooked egg when he is working on his yard in the Arizona heat.

Page: 1 | 2