Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS
Profile for RocketMan1969 > Reviews

Browse

RocketMan1969's Profile

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

RocketMan1969 "rocketman1969" RSS Feed (Cleveland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition
Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition
Price: $10.87

5.0 out of 5 stars A book everyone should read but few will. This ..., February 15, 2016
A book everyone should read but few will. This book lays out why our country is so fat and sick, why nutrition research is simply not structured to find a solution, why the food industry finds it so profitable to keep us confused about what is and what is not a healthy diet, and why the USDA's mandates to promote the very foods that are making us sick and the FDA's focus on drugs to treat disease after it has occurred rather than primary prevention means no help will be coming from that quarter. Basically we are on our own to battle against entrenched forces working against our health. Look at this book as giving you the armor to shield yourself from the corrosive and corrupting power of Big Food, Big Drug, and Big Government whose motivation is not your health and well-being.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2016 2:49 PM PST

Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven with Element IQ
Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven with Element IQ
Offered by Huppins
Price: $249.00
57 used & new from $189.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Oven with So-So Electronics, February 15, 2016
This little oven cooks more like a regular oven and not like a toaster oven. As such our big slow to heat gas oven got little use. But after just over two years the controls started to go wonky. Pressing the start button would change other functions rather than start the oven. After pressing it several times it would usually start the oven, and so we limped along for a few months, but it eventually completely stopped working. We contacted Breville and they offered to repair it for close to 1/2 the purchase price of the oven that included shipping both ways. We liked the oven a lot, so we paid to have it repaired. Just received a completely new oven (repair with extreme prejudice!) back from them, so I guess the old oven wasn't repairable. Hopefully they have upgraded the thermal resistance or protection of the electronics so that they don't deteriorate as fast as the original one did. If it fails again, we won't be repairing it or replacing it with another Breville.

Ball® Collapsible Funnel  (by Jarden Home Brands)
Ball® Collapsible Funnel (by Jarden Home Brands)
Offered by Terry Group
Price: $8.75
18 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars and nuts in large glass Ball jars (don't like to store food in plastic since you end up ..., February 15, 2016
We store bulk purchased dry beans, rice, oats, and nuts in large glass Ball jars (don't like to store food in plastic since you end up volatile parts of the plastic in your food and then in you). This collapsible funnel is great for helping to transfer the bulk item from those floppy plastic bags into the narrow mouthed jars without making a huge mess. Then it collapses down and stores compactly in a drawer.

Kamenstein Magnetic Storage Tins, Set of 12
Kamenstein Magnetic Storage Tins, Set of 12
Offered by Harris Five & Dime
Price: $43.98

3.0 out of 5 stars I like these tins, February 15, 2016
I like these tins. We turned the side of our refrigerator into a giant vertical spice rack. The thing I don't like is that the magnets are on the weak side. As a result it is easy to knock them off, often resulting is a huge mess and a waste of expensive spices. I agree that there is a point where the magnet can be too strong and so difficult to remove, but these are a fair distance from that point.

Diabetic Living The Ultimate Diabetes Cookbook: More than 400 Healthy, Delicious Recipes
by Diabetic Living Editors
Price: $14.75
99 used & new from $2.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook if you want to stay a diabetic., February 15, 2016
Great cookbook if you want to stay a diabetic, not so great if you actually want to reverse your diabetes. Diabetes (type II) is caused by insulin resistance and insulin resistance is caused by intramyocellular lipids, basically fat in your muscle cells. The fat in the muscles comes from saturated fats, which are only found in animal products and some vegetable fats (coconut and palm). This cookbook is packed full of the very foods that made you diabetic in the first place. Nearly ever recipe contains something with saturated fats. So if you want to keep your body insulin resistant, then this cookbook is a great way to do just that. But if you want to actually reverse your disease by reversing insulin resistance, then consider a diet very low in fat and especially one that eliminates saturated fat. I know that this is the exact opposite of the high fat/low carb advice most diabetics are given. The reason why you are not being told about this is that doctors just don't have any confidence in you. They think that you simply won't give up your meats, dairy, and eggs. And so after prejudging you, they put you on a diet that will at least control the principle symptom of insulin resistance, high blood sugar by not letting you eat much of anything that will turn into blood sugar. But the control is really in your hands. You can choose to remain diabetic or you can choose to change your lifestyle and adopt a diet that science is showing attacks the root cause of diabetes rather than the one that the ADA that just works at symptom management rather than disease reversal. Do what your doctor is just sure you aren't strong willed enough to do and attack the root cause of your disease with your fork! Will this work for everyone? Of course not. Nothing is perfect, but it has been shown to work in the majority of people who adopt a diet that reverses insulin resistance. The really incredible thing is that insulin sensitivity can rebound in weeks, even days. It is also likely not to work in diabetics with little natural insulin production remaining. But if you are a diabetic who retains sufficient insulin producing cells to control blood sugar in the absence of insulin resistance, then you owe it to yourself and especially those you care about and who care about you to at least give it a try.

To learn more about what the latest science is saying about insulin resistance and the way to reverse diabetes I strongly urge you to do your investigation. A great place to start is with this series of videos that reviews the latest science. nutritionfacts.org/topics/diabetes/. And a great book to read is Dr. Neal Barnard's Program For Reversing Diabetes.

SMAL WK-0816 Temp Programmable Combined Tea Maker and Electric Kettle with Tea Filter Lid, 1.7-Liter
Offered by E2E
Price: $199.00
3 used & new from $119.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Everybody Gets The Temperature They Like, November 25, 2015
We really like this kettle. One of us like our tea warm and the other likes it piping hot. It is no effort with this kettle to heat the water first to 165 F pour off one cup and then up to 195 for the second cup and everybody is happy. Plus the water never boils, which will drive off dissolved gases and leave the water and thus the tea tasting flat.

The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good!
Price: $9.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Start with Starch, November 25, 2015
This is NOT a vegan eating plan! It is a whole food, plant-based plan centered around starchy whole foods. That said, research into the health of different populations around the world very clearly shows that health is directly proportional to the percentage of whole plant foods in their diet, so the less animal foods the better. So if you can't ever imagine yourself not eating meat, do your health a favor and switch to this eating plan and push the meat to the side of your plate. If life just isn't worth living without bacon, then use a strip or two to flavor a pot of beans. If you find the thought trying to eat out while eating plant based depressing, then eat 100% plant based at home where you can make the incredibly tasty plant based foods that the restaurant world hasn't caught onto yet and then eat your favorite dishes at your favorite restaurants when you eat out (but do try to keep it to a special treat, not a daily event). In other words don't continue eating a very unhealthy diet because you don't think you can switch over completely. Put whole plants at the center of your diet rather than meat and you will have made a giant step towards better health. Then you can maybe take the next step and eat meatless most of the time. Don't be surprised though if you find this way of eating makes you feel so good and healthy that you end up very close to 100%.

Into the Looking Glass
Into the Looking Glass
Price: $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Romp, March 3, 2014
If you like your SciFi with a minimum of unobtainium and lots of bug-eyed monsters, then you have come to the right place.

Fiskars 17 Inch Staysharp Push Reel Lawn Mower (6208)
Fiskars 17 Inch Staysharp Push Reel Lawn Mower (6208)
Price: $170.95
44 used & new from $170.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Reel Mower Available and a Great Piece of Exercise Equipment as Well, March 12, 2013
I have been cutting my 1/2 acre lawn (19000 ft2 of actual grass) with reel mowers for 7 years now. Reel mowers make for a healthier lawn since the blades of grass are sheared off rather than bludgeoned off like with a standard gas powered rotorary mower. This results in thicker grass, fewer weeds and fewer bugs. This is why golf courses use reel mowers almost exclusively. I started with the standard Scott's 20" mower from the local hardware store. It worked OK, but it was hard to push because the blades are in contact resulting in a lot of drag even when not cutting grass. And it didn't cut very evenly with lots of little tufts of grass left uncut. The result is that I had to often cross-cut the yard if I wanted it to look good. With this big a yard, even with 20" width that was just not practical.

Next I tried 16" Brill mowers from Germany. These used a non-contact cutting system that greatly reduced the resistance, one because there was no friction with the blades since they don't contact each other but two because the blades are made of harder material and stayed sharp longer. The Brills had two problems. One there were too narrow. They did cut well in one pass, but there were just a lot of passes. And two they didn't cut tall enough. If you have very rich deep soil with frequent rain or where you can water often, then the grass can do very well when cut to the 1"-1.5" height that the Brill can cut. My yard has neither of these things.

Then Fiskar came out with the Momentum mowers (now StaySharp Max) and we got two (my wife and I mow together, which is how we manage such a large yard with push mowers, though I have done it myself on occasion, so it is possible for one person to do it all). These mowers are unique in that they throw the grass clipping forward where they were cut and recut until they were cut into very fine pieces and fall below the level of the cut grass. The Momentum has a non-contact cutting system like the Brill, but it had a much heavier reel which resulted in higher momentum in the reel (hence the original name). This allowed more energy to be stored in the reel which keeps the mower from bogging down in a spot of heavy grass or stalling on a tiny twig. Also this mower adjusted for cutting heights up to 4"! Finally I could cut my grass at the 2" - 2 1/2" it does best at. But, and sadly there is a but, I came to not like the fact that the clippings were being thrown forward. First it tended to mat down the uncut grass resulting is some unevenness in the resulting cut, and two in thick grass it could be very hard to push since you were cutting new grass and recutting previously cut grass several more times. I think that all the recutting of clippings as well as the very large size of my yard resulted in the blades of these mowers becoming dull after just two years. When they first came out Fiskar didn't make a grass catcher for this mower, though there is one now. I am sure that with a smaller yard and the use of the catcher when the grass is very tall or especially thick that the mowers would have gone more than two seasons before becoming dull.

So finally at the start of last year we bought two of these 17" StaySharp mowers. They use the same high momentum reel of the original Momentum, but these discharge the clippings to the rear. The maximum cutting height is 3 1/2" rather than 4", but truth be told I never cut at 4" with the Momentum because the clippings pushed the uncut grass down below the 4" cutting height resulting in many places not getting cut! The 3 1/2" maximum cutting height on the StaySharp should be just fine. I find the mowing effort to be much lower than the Momentum because the clippings are only being cut once and then discharged. Plus the clippings are falling on already cut grass so there is no matting down of uncut grass. The result is more visible clippings on the surface of the grass as one would expect. My solution if the clippings are too thick for my tastes is to take an electric leaf blower and just sweep the airstream over the surface of the lawn. This causes the little clumps of clippings to be broken up and *all* of the clippings magically disappear below the surface of the lawn. I can sweep in 10' - 12' wide swaths, so this doesn't take very long. But I only do this because I am fussy. The clippings for the most part dry up and then disappear below the surface in no more than a day on their own. And lastly if the trick with the leaf blower doesn't work I have a 36" manual yard sweeper that has rotating bristles that sweep the recalcitrant clippings off the lawn and into a catcher. This also fluffs up the wheel marks so I can catch them when I cross-cut if I want a perfectly manicured lawn.

Based on all of this experience, I very highly recommend the StaySharp reel mower.

One last word on reel mowers, I think that anybody without a clear physical disability or more than a 1/2 acre of grass (and really do you need to keep so much in grass? let some of it become meadow) should be cutting their lawn with a reel mower. We all need more exercise. My wife and I try to mow a 1/3 of the yard at a time (about 5000 ft2). For our sized yard and with two of us doing it only takes 20-30 minutes for each 1/3. So at a minimum we get 3 really good aerobic workouts a week. Since there is no fueling or starting, we can just come home from work, jump into our lawn clothes and grab a mower and go. So it isn't hard at all to get in a little mowing each day. In the spring when the grass "explodes" out of the ground, we often need to cut each section twice a week, so our workouts increase to 6 a week. But this is just in time to blow off the rust that has accumulated all winter and lets us get our "beach bodies" back. The best thing is that at the end of our workout we also have our yard cut. If instead we went to the gym and made a treadmill go round and round 3-4 times a week, we would still need to spend 3+ hours on the weekend guiding a hugely noisy gas mower over the yard. So with reel mowers you get the exercise we all really need more of and you don't "harsh the calm" of your neighbors. Viewed as a piece of exercise equipment, the $150 StaySharp is a very cheap investment in your health.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2013 4:27 AM PDT

Cable Matters Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt™ 2 Port Compatible) to HDTV Cable in White 10 Feet
Offered by Cable Matters
Price: $21.99
14 used & new from $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect to connect Macbook Pro to HDTV, March 12, 2013
This 10' cable is perfect to allow me to connect my Macbook Pro (2012) to my 52" plasma TV while sitting in my chair across the room. I have an HDMI port on the front of my A/V receiver that makes it simple to keep the cable in a drawer in the entertainment center nice and tidy, yet have the Mac connected and content playing on the big screen in just a minute or two. The only issue, and it might have nothing to do with this cable and everything to do with the nature of the conversion from DisplayPort to HDMI, is that there is a tiny bit of visual noise in all black sections of the screen such such as those when the screen fades to black between scenes. The amount is not objectionable and the noise is not apparent when there is actual video content playing out on the screen.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3