Profile for Darren Harrison > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 332

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Darren Harrison "DVD collector and reviewer" RSS Feed (Washington D.C.)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Land that Time Forgot / The People that Time Forgot (Midnite Movies Double Feature)
DVD ~ Patrick Wayne
Offered by Hermosa Creek Films
Price: $28.49
38 used & new from $5.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Two fun movies in these adaptations of the Edgar Rice Burroughs novels, January 19, 2015
Two of my chief guilty pleasures are these two movies fro the 1970s. Doug McClure made a career out of these British production in that decade, alongside these two monster movies are "At the Earth's Core" and "Warlords of Atlantis." The DVD presentation is good and the fun factor is still evident after all these years. Based on two novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs these adventure movies feature some truly terrible special effects but are still an entertaining way to while away the time on a rainy Saturday afternoon. "The People That Time Forgot" is memorable for this viewer for the chance to see a pre-Superman II Sarah Douglas.

Two Women / The Stateline Motel [Slim Case]
Two Women / The Stateline Motel [Slim Case]
DVD ~ Sophia Loren
Price: $10.63
8 used & new from $3.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Two Great movies but horrible DVD quality, January 19, 2015
Great movies, but possibly the worst DVD I have ever seen. I believe this is a simple port from VHS tapes since even the tracking issue that used to happen on old tapes is present in a couple of places. I bought this movie for "Stateline Motel" and have yet to see a decent print of this 1975 movie starring two of my favorite actresses (Ursula Andress and Barbara Bach)...the search continues

Doctor Who and the Day of the Daleks
Doctor Who and the Day of the Daleks
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A childhood favorite in Kindle form, January 4, 2015
I grew up reading the Doctor Who novelizations and have fond memories of this one in particular. This was the days before the dawn of videos and I imagined the scenes in my head as I read this cleverly woven story that saw guerilla warriors travelng from the future to disrupt a peace conference and thereby unwittingly help the Daleks. When I finally saw the actual serial years later I felt somewhat let down because the cash strapped BBC was unable to compete with my imagination. I was pleased to discover that the Kindle included all the original illustrations from the Target paperback.

SHERLOCK HOLMES IN NEW YORK
SHERLOCK HOLMES IN NEW YORK
DVD ~ Roger Moore
Price: $19.49
25 used & new from $14.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Never thought I would see this on DVD but I am very happy, December 29, 2014
This review is from: SHERLOCK HOLMES IN NEW YORK (DVD)
This is classic, enjoyable TV fare from the 1970s with Roger Moore shedding his James Bond image and the ever reliable Patrick MacNee at his side. As soon as I realized that Fox had seen fit to release this I added it to my cart instantly. I've been burned by these Fox archive releases before (only Warner seems to do alright by their DVD-R releases) so I hope that Fox does this TV film justice.
I'll revisit this review when the DVD arrives, but on the basis of the movie itself it is a must-buy.
UPDATE: WEll, I've had the chance to view this DVD and I am happy to report that the quality is acceptable. It's not the worst DVD (not the best either mind you). Still the print appears to be clean and I have no trouble recommending this DVD-R on-demand release.

Logitech S150 USB Speakers with Digital Sound
Logitech S150 USB Speakers with Digital Sound
Price: $11.53
39 used & new from $8.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for, May 22, 2014
It's been so long since I had a desktop computer that when I received a new Acer Aspire desktop computer (as part of the emachine redeem settlement) it didn't occur to me that I would need external speakers. So, I ordered these Logitech speakers based on some of the glowing reviews I have seen on the web and can report they work like a dream putting out more output than one might expect from a pair of small speakers. They sit on a shelf to either side of my monitor and provide a nice little stereo sound that I have been missing in my years of laptop ownership. These little beauties are highly recommended.

BearExtender PC USB WiFi Booster and Range Extender for Microsoft Windows
BearExtender PC USB WiFi Booster and Range Extender for Microsoft Windows

5.0 out of 5 stars It works...[Windows 8], May 22, 2014
When I received a new Acer Aspire desktop computer (as part of the emachine redeem settlement) I had terrible trouble with the wifi connection which would randomly drop, and when it was connected register no more than 1 or 2 bars. Of course the location of the computer did not help being on the opposite side of the house from the router, but my work laptop was able to register 3 bars when sitting next to the Aspire. We tried an extender but the signal would still drop and it didn't seem to work well with Windows 8, so I knew we needed to try another approach. That's when I came across the BearExtender and was particularly interested in the fact that it does not use the computers wifi card (since that was a possible suspect in addition to the location) and indeed one of the setup steps is to disable the computers wifi card. Last night I unpacked the BearExtender, loaded the software (which was very easy to follow) and then connected the USB cable to one of my 3.0 USB connections. Within minutes I was watching a movie streaming on Netflix and checking my Outlook inbox. Of course it's early days since I only had a couple of hours to play with it, but it certainly seems to be working a charm regularly pulling in anywhere between 3 to 4 bars. I am very happy with my purchase and recommend BearExtender to anyone suffering from wifi connectivity issues.

The 39 Steps
The 39 Steps
DVD ~ Various
Price: $13.78
47 used & new from $3.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo BBC for finally having the courage to bring Buchan’s novel to the screen., May 8, 2014
This review is from: The 39 Steps (DVD)
I have lived in hope for years that we might one-day get a version of “The 39 Steps” that was faithful to the John Buchan source novel. I remember, of course, the 1935 Hitchcock version and being surprised to find no Mr. Memory, and no escape from the police across the Forth Road bridge when I picked up a copy of the book from the school library while at University in England. As I read the book it became apparent that Hitchcock had decimated Buchan’s original plot to the point that his 1935 film is “The 39 Steps” in almost name-only. The Hitchcock movie was remade in an almost frame-by-frame version in 1959 starring Kenneth More, so Hitch’s plot has become entwined in people’s memory, erroneously, as the “39 Steps:. In 1978 Robert Powell starred in another version of the film, and went someway to redressing the balance. For although Powell’s version is closer to the book, and had the movie set in the right time period, there were still areas where it diverted from Buchan’s plot. I assumed that we might never get a faithful version, that is until I happened across this BBC TV movie. Here at last is a TV movie that can accurately claim to be based on the Buchan book. The action moves thick and fast and we have a series of exciting escapes as Hannay tries to clear his name. In this version Hannay is again framed for a murder he didn’t commit and again travels to Scotland to clear his name and unravel the clues. There are tips of the hat to the Hitchcock version, with a hint of romance that was completely absent from the novel, and even a scene that harkens back to Hitchcock’s other spy movie “North By Northwest” as Hannay is buzzed by a biplane, but the pre-WWI era plot of Buchan’s book is largely intact. Bravo BBC for finally having the strength of character and courage to bring Buchan’s novel to the screen.

James Bond: The Spy Who Loved Me
James Bond: The Spy Who Loved Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition of my favorite James Bond continuation novel, May 6, 2014
I already own a paperback copy of this book and happily bought a Kindle version from Amazon (along with a Kindle version of the follow-up "James Bond and Moonraker"). Written by the screenwriter of the 1977 James Bond movie "The Spy Who Loved Me", this novel follows the basic plotline of the movie with some key differences. Bond teams up with SMERSH agent (in the movie version a KGB agent) Anya Amasova to investigate the disappearance of a British and a Soviet nuclear submarine. Their investigation takes them from Egypt and Sardinia. Of course nobody can write James Bond novels like Ian Fleming, with many writers over the years taking a stab at it under license from Ian Fleming's estate. Kingsley Amis wrote "Colonel Sun" under a pseudonym in the late 1960s which came close; John Gardner wrote 14 Bond novels (including a personal favorite in "Icebreaker") from 1981 to 1996; and Raymond Benson, Sebastian Faulks, Jeffery Deaver, and William Boyd taking cracks at it. To my mind none of these captured the essence of Fleming's Bond as Christopher Wood did in the novelizations of the 1977 and 1979 movies on which he served as a screenwriter. These however are not merely narratives of the on-screen action, Wood gives us tantalizing views of some elements which likely were in his original script and were either excised or changed. For example, following the death of Fekkesh, Bond is captured and tortured by SMERSH in attempt by the Russian agents to determine the location of the microfilm. Wood also gives us backstory to many of the characters which provide greater depth than these characters were afforded on the screen. Not the one-dimensional characters that occupied the film, Anya Amasova, Jaws and even Sigmund Stromberg (changed to Karl Stromberg for the film) are more fully developed in the novel. I consider it the best of all the continuation novels.

VIP Very Important Person
VIP Very Important Person
3 used & new from $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars WWII POW movie genre gets the British comedy treatment - with fantastic results, May 6, 2014
This review is from: VIP Very Important Person (DVD)
Forget "Hogan's Heroes" or "Stalag Luft" (in which I played an extra) - this 1961 comedy beats both in not only laughs but also suspense and tension. The legendary British actor James Robertson Justice is joined by such British comic icons as Leslie Phillips, Stanley Baker and Eric Sykes in this improbable but entertaining romp in which Justice plays a scientist who is shot down over Germany and must escape his P.O.W. camp at all cost to help the British war effort. I remember seeing this years ago sometime in the early 1980s and several times trying to figure out "What was that POW movie featuring James Robertson Justice?" I'm glad I found this on Netflix because it brought back all the nostalgic value of those rainy Saturday afternoons (I was raised in the UK) curled up on the sofa watching old movies. This is truly a classic.

Diamonds
Diamonds
DVD ~ Robert Shaw
Offered by Achilles' Reel
Price: $33.77
16 used & new from $16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I greatly enjoyed this movie, March 13, 2014
This review is from: Diamonds (DVD)
I'm not sure if all these negative reviews were written for this movie that I greatly enjoyed, perhaps its my love of heist movies that clouds my opinion or my admiration for Robert Shaw. The movie deals with a suave diamond dealer attempting to reveal flaws in a security system designed by his twin brother with whom he has an intense rivalry.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20