Profile for Noemi Garcia > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Noemi Garcia RSS Feed

A Game of Thrones 4-Book Bundle: A Song of Ice and Fire Series: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!!!!, July 11, 2013
I read the first book and I am reading right now the second book. The books are long, but I found myself always wanting to read more and go to the next chapter. The writer is very skillful. It includes enough descriptions of settings and characters without overwhelming the reader and the book has plenty of action. There some parts that might not be acceptable for some people and maybe a little bit out of taste, but the story as a whole is amazing. All the characters are very well developed. At first, I thought that because the book was written from the point of view of multiple characters then several scenes will be repeated, but that is not the case. The action keeps moving forward and I really like that I can see what happens through the eyes of different characters. For example, the death of one character is narrated through the point of view of one character. In the next chapter then the burial is narrated through the point of view of another character, but we don't see that character narrating again the death of that other character. I like the language that is used, some of it from what most likely be medieval times, but the amount of language that is used is not too much and it is not confusing. At the beginning of the book, it is kind of hard to keep track of all the characters, but as I kept reading I found that I had no problem remembering who was who. I would recommend this kindle version. By buying this bundle, I saved approximately $10. The only thing that needs some improvement is the resolution of the maps. I found myself sometimes having a hard time trying to read the map, but I don't know if the problem is the same with the print version. All in all, I am really glad that I bought this kindle version. And the next books, I will buy the kindle version too.

iSyncr for Mac (legacy)
iSyncr for Mac (legacy)
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!!, January 26, 2013
This review is from: iSyncr for Mac (legacy) (App)
I love that I am able to transfer my songs from iTunes to my Kindle Fire. Unfortunately, I was not able to transfer every song that I bought through iTunes, but that seems to be because of copyrights. I am glad that I was able to transfer so many of my songs to my Kindle.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2014 8:11 AM PST

NIR! Plays: Jack in the Beanstalk Level 2 (24 Page Storybook, 5-P lay Scripts, 4 Character Masks)
by Nora Gaydos
53 used & new from $3.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, January 26, 2013
My kids and I loved this. It has several scripts so everyone can have one. They are easy to read. The reason that I am giving it four stars is because the masks are too small. If they were a little bit bigger, this product would be awesome.

Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 2nd)
18 used & new from $93.90

4.0 out of 5 stars It is a nice tablet with a few caveats, December 26, 2012
There is a reason why the iPad is still the leader in the market. I have an iPad (1st generation) and now we have this Kindle Fire HD. I bought the Kindle Fire HD for my daughter since the price is great and I didn't want to spend more than what the Kindle costs. When you compare it to the iPad (I don't have the latest generation iPad so that probably means that there would be a lot of other things that I would not like about the kindle) you can see the difference in many aspects. Here are the pros and the cons of the kindle fire HD

Pro:
-I love the 7" screen and I love the size of the device. I think the iPad is too big although now there is an iPad mini, but I think that the iPad mini is way too expensive. The size of the Kindle Fire HD is perfect. It can be carried everywhere in a purse, backpack and like I said the size of the screen is perfect for reading, watching videos, playing games, etc. I definitely prefer the small size to the bigger size of the iPad.

-I love the way the home screen shows the application icons. I get to swipe through them instead of seeing all of them perfectly lined in the screen.

-The amazon app store has a lot of applications although the number of applications available are not as many as itunes and google play, we can still find apps for all our needs. Amazon offers the free application of the day and today we got Office Suite for free when its regular price is $14.99. We can find movies, tv shows and music. The only apps that I am sorry that the amazon app store doesn't have is the Scholastic Storia, the disney junior and disney channel applications. iTunes has them and my kids use them all the time in the iPad. Hopefully, they will add them to the store sooner or later.

-I love the resolution. It is great. I don't know how it compares to the latest generation iPad, but I can tell that it is better than the resolution of the iPad 1st generation. I have the iPhone 5 and it is comparable to the one from the iPhone 5.

-I LOVE the Kindle Free time. This is an application that kind of does the parental controls. In it you add your child's profile and you add to it the applications, videos, books, etc. that you want her to have access to. She can't get out of the Kindle Free time because she needs a password to be able to get out. She can't go to the app store so she can't buy anything without my approval. Today, I logged her out of the free time and we went together to the amazon store. We were looking for apps from the american girl dolls. In the search bar we wrote just american girl and instead of getting applications for the american girl doll, we got adult oriented apps that had nothing to do with the doll. So I love the fact that Amazon included the kindle free time because I feel good about the fact she can only access what I want her to access. I wish the iPad had this.

-I like the mini HDMI port. We haven't tried it yet, but I want to use it to watch movies from Netflix on my TV.

-Also, I thought I might not be able to do this, but I got an application that transferred some of my files from iTunes to the Kindle. Although there were some files that I bought through iTunes that were not transferable.

-I actually like that when you highlight an application, you see below it other app suggestions. Some might not like this, but I thought it was good.

CONS
-The device feels very heavy compared to the iPad (1st generation)

-It is extremely SLOW (compared to the iPad 1st generation. I don't even want to think about the huge difference there must be between the latest generation iPad and this device)

-From the Kindle free time, my daughter can't access the music that is in the device. Although this issue is easily resolved by adding a music application.

All in all, I think is an excellent device especially for the price. Although the iPad mini might be an excellent device, I can't justify paying the price of an iPad mini when there is an excellent device like the Kindle Fire HD for such a low price. I am giving to it 4 stars because it is slow and that drives me crazy sometimes and because it feels very heavy.

I hope this review helps anybody out there that is still undecided about buying this device. I am really glad that I bought this device.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2012 10:31 PM PST

Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)
Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)
by Suzanne Collins
Price: $14.39
1394 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT BAD. COULD'VE BEEN BETTER, June 4, 2011
****SPOILERS ALERT****
I loved the first two books. I liked the third one. I have read the other reviews and I understand a lot of the disappointments. I don't see how the story could've been different. Katniss is a 17 year old fighting the president of Panem. She feels like a pawn of District 13 used by them to fulfill their plans. I know the temptation for Collins could've been to make Katniss more of a leader than what she was. But the reality is she was a seventeen year old girl with no war tactics experience. She was not a soldier. She is just a girl that have been scarred by President Snow and eventually by President Coin. The way the war took place I think it was good. War is not pretty and the depiction here of it makes it very clear. I think the way the story was written was very good. The part that I liked the most about the book was when Katniss kills President Coin. During the whole book all she wanted to do was kill President Snow. But after talking with him at the end she realizes that President Coin is no better than him. In her eyes, President Coin was worse because she killed children and Katniss' sister with the purpose of ending the war once and for all. President Snow didn't care if he died anymore. There was no satisfaction on killing him, but killing Coin felt like getting some kind of justice for her sister. What I didn't like from the book is that there is no relationship between the characters. In the first two books we see how Peeta tries to protect her, sleeping right next to her, comforting her, etc. Even if she didn't know, you could see that she was also in love with him. I would have love to see a better description of how Peeta and Katniss lived together at the end, how they comfort each and how they loved each other. Saying they lived together forever and had kids doesn't make any justice to their love. Gale didn't show himself in her life. I know he knew she loved Peeta and not him, but at least in the name of their friendship he should have visited her. I give this book four stars because I would have liked to see a little bit more of Peeta's and Katniss' relationship at the end of the book.

Children with Hearing Loss: Developing Listening and Talking, Birth to Six
Children with Hearing Loss: Developing Listening and Talking, Birth to Six
by Elizabeth Bingham Cole
Price: $56.64
43 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for parents, April 20, 2011
I bought this book because my son is hearing impaired and I wanted to understand more of what he is going through. I have bought other audiology books that they are more appropriate for professionals than for parents. They were too technical. This book I like it very much because everything is explained in very simple terms. It explains the causes of hearing loss, what kind of tests the pediatric audiologist does to determine the degree of the hearing loss and what are the differences between them. It also devotes time to explain about the different technology that is out there to help children hear, i.e. hearing aids, cochlear implants, FM systems, etc. I really recommend this book to parents that really want to understand and find a way of helping their kids with hearing loss. It is written in a very simple way.

Apple MacBook Pro MB990LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop
Apple MacBook Pro MB990LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop
58 used & new from $419.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!!!, January 9, 2010
I love this MacBook. I have a regular laptop at work and the MacBook at home. Before the MacBook I had a PC and I am so glad that I switched to Mac. First of all, the computer is fast. I love the software that comes included, iTunes, iCal, iMovie, iPhoto, Photo Booth, etc. I like that comes with a camera and I can chat with my family anytime I want and I don't need to buy an external camera. Also the internet is so much faster. When I was using my PC and the laptop, I always thought that my internet was too slow. I have DSL, but once I started surfing the Web using the MacBook I realized that it wasn't my internet. It was the PC. Also, the computer never freezes and I can go from one software to another very fast. The appearance of the computer is very nice. It is slim, the backlit keyboard is a nice feature and the resolution of the screen is great. I love that I can save my photos directly from the SD card. I haven't installed too many programs in it besides Microsoft Office since so far everything I've needed came included with the computer. I'm never going to buy another PC or regular laptop.

Kodak EasyShare Z950 12 MP Digital Camera (Black) with 10x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD
8 used & new from $64.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!!!, January 9, 2010
I bought this camera after reading several reviews about it. I can say that I am really satisfied with it. I had another Kodak that was five years old and it is still working. I just wanted to buy another one that had a higher zoom and more mepapixels. This camera has different picture modes that I don't know how to use like the pasm, but when you are switching between each one a message shows up in the screen giving a simple explanation of what that option is used for. I love the big screen, the video and picture quality is excellent. I like that while I'm taking a video I can zoom in and zoom out. Although while zooming the scene becomes a little blurred. The optical zoom is 10X and you can see things very far away and the resolution is still great. The battery lasts a long time. I think that in two months I have charged it twice. I would recommend this product to anybody looking to buy a camera. One feature that I really like is that if you erase a video or photo by mistake you can recover it. This only works for the last erased picture or photo, but believe me, it is great to have this feature. The size of the camera is not as small as I would like it to be, but usually the smaller cameras in the market have less resolution and the zoom is not as good.