Profile for N22Tango > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 90

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

N22Tango "Film tonight at 10" RSS Feed (Central, TEXAS)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Arlo Smart Home Security Camera System - 2 HD, 100% Wire-Free, Indoor/Outdoor Cameras with Night Vision (VMS3230) by NETGEAR
Price: $349.99
7 used & new from $349.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Arlo is the "way to go...", January 20, 2015
(UPDATE 1-28... Two weeks after I wrote my original review I had a problem with my Arlo system. I got online with support. My base station is about 100 feet from where I keep my computer in my office. The tech support person working with me was able to call me on my cell phone and walk me through the process to tweak my system. This was totally different when I had the VueZone system. Today though, I talked with Netgear's tech support in California. Wow, what a great experience it was and after I hung up with NetGear, It was a simple firmware update, but I wish Netgrea would send out an email alert to advise of the need to freshen the firmware. As a result of my satisfaction with the Arlo and Netters more aggressive support of this system compared to the VueZone, I went back to Amazon and bought a third Arlo camera for my system, because I am very comfortable with not only the Arlo system but the people at Netgear who are answering the phones...

****Below is my original review****
Late last year, I bought another Netgear security camera system and I hated it. In fact, go see my review of that system and you'll probably never believe I again went with NetGrear. I can assure you that my experience with the old NetGear system and this new Arlo is like the difference between Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and the Netgear Arlo I now have is the complete opposite of my experience with the "VueZone" I had, but returned to Amazon.

I ordered my Arlo on Christmas Eve 2014 and as I write my review here on 1-20-2015 I have had numerous days to determine that this system is vastly superior.

I installed the Arlo system at my residence on a ranch in a remote region of Texas having only wireless radio ISP and for the past 5 days I've been in Detroit viewing my cameras numerous times. Here is what I have found as described by "Pros."

PROS...
* Very easy to set up, and I am no GEEK. I am a GOAT rancher and not a very good one either. (As in "goat rescue/petting zoo.)
* Both Arlo cameras found my Apple Extreme Router very quickly when I was setting this system up. I didn't have to mess with settings, firewalls, etc.
* Cameras are very easy to place in small and tight areas.
* Magnetic mounts install easily, but drilling a screw into the surface is needed. I really like the fact that the Arlo camera can rotate and articulate once it is attached to the magnetic mount.
* Fast access to my cameras using my iPhone on LTE services, in various locations (DFW airport, Detroit etc)
* Fast and painless e-mail alerts
* Easy to manage video files and easy to delete old video files that are saved to the Netgear Cloud.
* Outstanding clarity of all video I've seen so far, even in poorly illuminated areas
* Free basic account, but I believe it will expire (please check yourself to determine) but working great for me now.
* Battery life for me, looks VERY GOOD so far and I suspect they will easily go for a month before needing replacement.
* The Arlo app works great on my iPhone 5s.

Cons...
* A more "robust" account needs to be purchased for larger file saving to the Netgear Cloud
* Cameras have a somewhat limited range in contrast when viewing an area of extreme contrast (very bright sunlight to dark shadows) but I need to clarify this really isn't a fault of the Arlo camera. These are not broadcast (expensive) camera systems that we can compare to what we see on a network like CNN, and if the Arlo camera is aimed at an area not having very extreme ranges in contrast, they perform VERY WELL.
* Last but not least "con" is the fact that I like this system so much, I'm going to spend more money to buy two more cameras (ouch) so that I can monitor my dogs when I am gone and to place one camera near my gate... This really isn't a "con" but more of a way to say I'm pleased with the performance of the two cameras I have, I just would rather not be out the $300 or so for two more cameras, but WOW are they good, but sadly as I write my review, their cameras are sold out and I want a few more.

My two cameras are placed in my house in a built-in bookcase we have. The cameras blend in very well with the books and knickknacks in our book shelf, however being white, you might want to camouflage your cameras in case an intrusion occurs that the crook won't see and disable you Arol, but don't worry, because a crook could reach your Arlo cameras, the crook will have had his picture made and you'll get an e-mail alert and the video clip will be saved so that you can archive it for law enforcement needs. By placing my cameras in our house, I suspect the batteries in them will last longer than they might when placed outdoors in extreme temperature settings and when they burden the "juice" in the batteries by powering on the infrared lights when outside darkness sets in..

I'll try and add some video and or pictures and any updates later, but after my experience with the VueZone cameras I had, I'm delighted that I don't need phone support (located in India and having long wait times) and so far with the Arlo system that I bought last year, I have not even had a need to contact NetGear support via e-mail. This was a "snap" to set up, and my ISP is a wireless system out here in the sticks and not very fast either.

BlackSpot Weatherproof Wireless Battery Powered Outdoor Super Bright 350 Lumen Motion Detector LED Light - Black - 3 Pack

3.0 out of 5 stars "Flash" Gordon, buyer beware, January 6, 2015
I bought a three pack of these on Amazon and they arrived quickly. Two of them are defective and they flash rapidly and then turn off rather quickly. My third one stays illuminated and is very bright. I installed new batteries in these and mounted them all on three identical poles. One other person who gave these products a one star review is also having the same problem I have in regard to the rapid flashing, so I suspect a lot of these are coming out of factories in China without the benefit of quality control.

Obama's Last Day 01.20.17TM Countdown Clock Magnet
Obama's Last Day 01.20.17TM Countdown Clock Magnet

5.0 out of 5 stars Best countdown clock I've ever owned!, December 23, 2014
This clock comes pre-programmed and it shows how many days are left straight out of the box. An earlier version of a clock I purchased several weeks ago had very complicated instructions that neither me, my brainy wife (who breezed through college in 2.5 years... it took me all 4 years!) and a geek kid who lives down the block from us.

What I like better about this clock (in addition that it is running when it gets to you are:
*** Batteries are already installed.
*** Flat having a small magnet on the back so you can place it on a fridge or any metal surface
*** Easily fits in your shirt pocket, almost like a credit card so you can carry it with you and get a few laughs with "the gang" when you are out and about.

Cons... There are none.

New YT-D01 Car Solar Power LED Shark Fin Flash Strobe Warning Antenna Style Tail Rear lamp Taillight
Offered by Wire Factory
Price: $7.58
6 used & new from $7.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Wiley Coyote, December 22, 2014
Wow! Illegal for use on a vehicle here in the United States because the various colors of flashing red and blue resemble the lights of law enforcement and or other emergency vehicles (if you put this on the top of your car, I can guarantee that a cop will eventually pull you over or someone will use a cell phone to report you as an imposter law enforcement vehicle) but I'm using these on the perimeter of my ranch on tall poles to scare off coyotes at night and THEY WORK! In fact, I am buying 10 more.

These various colored and flashing lights work great for me in scaring off nocturnal predators on my two ranches here in Texas. I placed three of them on long metal poles (at the top) and the flashing lights have scared coyotes away. I read somewhere that coyotes were afraid of flashing lights so I decided to experiment and darned if these things work for this purpose. The lights are VERY bright when you look at them from directly behind the light source (thus the reason they resemble emergency vehicles and police cars) and since putting them up on my ranch, I don't even hear coyotes much less see their tracks near where I keep my goats and chickens and other livestock.

I originally wanted one of these to use on the top of my car thinking that at night in the fog, they would give me an extra margin of safety, but they flash so fast and the red-amber-blue combination are so bright and flash so fast that it made my car look like a state trooper. If the lights flashed slower and were one color (maybe like the flashing lights we see on the back of large trucks that haul gasoline) they might be more accepted by law enforcement, but as the lights are now, they look too much like state highway patrol or local police cars.

DeLuxe® Fruitcake 1 lb. 14 oz. Collin Street Bakery
DeLuxe® Fruitcake 1 lb. 14 oz. Collin Street Bakery
Offered by COLLIN STREET BAKERY
Price: $27.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgive me father (in-law) for I have sinned., December 18, 2014
I ordered this fruit cake for my father-in-law who is in assisted living.

When the fruitcake arrived at my house, I removed the tin box from the cardboard shipping container so that I could gift wrap it for Christmas for him. Moments before I placed the fruitcake on my counter for wrapping, I thought it would be a good idea to examine the contents of the container, and I removed the cover to look at the cake. As I stood there, looking down at this wonderful specimen laying helplessly before me, I succumbed to the incredible and succulent aroma that came upon me and in which became mingled with my olfactory receptors. Sadly, in a moment of weakness, I found my hands grasping for a knife in which to slice through the cake in order to take a small "test" sample. My weakness grew as did my hunger and to make a long story short, I very selfishly devoured the cake as the glutton I turned into and I will seek forgiveness from the Pope and beg for leniency as I hurriedly order a new cake to have shipped directly to my father-in-law whom I know will be filled with glee as I was, in sampling this incredible baked item that was such a joy to consume.

Say what you will or might want to say about fruitcakes, but this one was wickedly wonderful and those folks down in Corsicana, Texas make some mighty bodacious and fabulous fruitcakes. I have never-ever tasted one that was even this close to totally wonderful. (Maybe I died and went to Heaven and I don't need to contact the Pope?)

(UPDATE, 1-2-2015... I FELT SO BAD FOR MY FATHER-IN-LAW - HAVING DEVOURED THE ABOVE MENTI0NED FRUIT CAKE, THAT ON CHRISTMAS EVE AS I WAS VISITING HIM IN HIS APARTMENT IN THE ASSISTED LIVING CENTER I USED THE AMAZON AP ON MY IPHONE AND ORDERED A SECOND FRUIT CAKE AND HAD IT SENT DIRECTLY TO HIM, INSTEAD OF BEING DELIVERED TO MY HOUSE. WE JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH HIM AND HIS FRUITCAKE ARRIVED EARLIER IN THE DAY, AND HE IS IN "HOG-HEAVEN" AS WE SAY HERE IN TEXAS...)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2015 7:04 AM PST

NETGEAR VueZone Home Video Monitoring System - 2 Camera Kit (VZSM2700)
NETGEAR VueZone Home Video Monitoring System - 2 Camera Kit (VZSM2700)
Offered by Midwest Photo Video (Tax Free Store)
Price: $259.90
8 used & new from $209.99

1.0 out of 5 stars ... VueCam system... the app worked really great on my ..., December 17, 2014
*******(UPDATE... 3-5-2015 I bought an Arlo Home Monitoring System, ironically from NetGear - and the Arlo is the total opposite of my experience with the VueZone - which I understand NetGear purchased from another company that went out of business... The VueZone is lousy, the Arlo is great... and in fact please look for my review of the Arlo.)********

I bought the VueCam system and while it was a quick and easy instal and the app worked really great on my iPhone 5S, I was never-ever able to receive email alerts as advertised. For ten days I tried to get the email alert working (even trying my alternate email address) and nothing worked. The support from NetGear was disappointing. Two calls to their phone support people in India was an exercise in frustration. And although the people in India were polite and courteous, taking to them on the phone sounded like they were sitting in a bar and using a speaker phone. I could hardly understand them. Even before getting to talk to them, it was horrendous calling their toll-free number and then wading through the voice prompts and deciding what number to press.

After several test runs in broad daylight and in low light conditions, the cameras (even though both were set for motion detect) never-ever gave me a single clue that something (me, even riding past the cameras in a large Kubota RTV) and I sent the system back for a refund.

The resolution was poor but I could have lived with the low quality image, just to see if someone had forced open a door or broke a window. The fee they wanted for the privilege of using their "service" while annoying, I was willing to pay just so I could have peace-of-mind.

Too bad, because I was VERY impressed with the iPhone app but very disappointed in support. NetGear has lost me forever as a customer because of the very lousy after-the-sale support (or lack of it I should say...

NETGEAR VueZone Wire-free Video Monitoring System (VZSM2720-100NAS)
NETGEAR VueZone Wire-free Video Monitoring System (VZSM2720-100NAS)
Offered by Abundantly Good
Price: $284.50
6 used & new from $279.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Cameras and phone support FROM HELL, December 10, 2014
(UPDATE 10 days after I bought this.... I am sending it back to Amazon for a full refund. NetGear support is pathetic, both through email answers and especially through their phone technical support located in India. I spent 45 minutes today on the phone to a very nice young woman in India (who sounded like she was in a noisy sweat-shop) and although she was courteous and polite, after giving her all my information to include a ticket number that NetGear gave me (and info how to get email alerts, which didn't work and which I had set up properly in the first place...) The lady in India gave me a new number to call 1-888-638-4327 where I again had to wade through recorded voice quizzes and then passed along to another person in India (also a nice chap, sitting in what sounded like a bowling alley.) The background noise is so bad that it is difficult to hear these people... Email alerts DO NOT WORK thus making these cameras useless as a quick way to know if your home has been broken into.)

PROS...
**** Cameras are very small and easy to place nearly anywhere because they attach by a magnet to a small base that sticks on a wall, a pole, a glass surface or just about anywhere. The magnetic base allows the camera to swivel and tilt (by hand) and this allows to get the exact camera angle you want.
**** Included in my two-camera system was an outdoor housing that prevents rain from getting into the cameras. This too is "svelte" and it's small size makes it easy to locate in tight spots.
**** Once you establish an account (for viewing) it's VERY easy to get into your account to see your cameras from any internet connection. It worked well on my iPhone 5S and several of my Mac computers.

CONS....
***** I hate to even mention this as a "con" but the image quality is just a tad low resolution, but it is good enough for me to easily see if a door or a window has been compromised, or if tools are missing from an interior building.
**** No sound, but no big deal for me because I simply need to see if a window/door has been breached and sound isn't really needed nor do I need to talk to my dogs.
**** No pan or tilt and again not critical for me, but I can see how this would be an advantage for many people.
**** Short battery life for the tiny cameras. Batteries are about $2 each (the cameras take two of them) and they last about 14 days it seems.
**** Email alerts never worked for me despite having the cameras set for motion and verifying that my settings were all correct.
**** Phone support is located in India. Wait times are WAY TOO LONG and despite having spend 45 minutes on the phone with them in India on two calls, they never resolved my problem. While the phone reps in India were polite, courteous... the background sound made me think they were housed in a bowling alley next to a railroad station.

Other notes...
You get several options when you establish your account which include a free account for viewing, but the freebie wasn't as feature-laden as I wanted and I elected to purchase their "Two Locations - five cameras" option.

Multiple Sclerosis Medical ID Alert Italian Charm Bracelet
Multiple Sclerosis Medical ID Alert Italian Charm Bracelet
Offered by CharmingBracelets
Price: $36.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Tags fall off, December 6, 2014
I bought this bracelet out of concern if I ever was pulled over by a policeman and needed to get out of my car, I didn't want him/her to think I had been drinking (I walk like a drunk because of my MS). And I once was challenged by a fully enabled person when I needed access to a handicap space... The idea of wearing this bracelet seemed to fit the bill, so to speak, as a way to add validity to my MS ailment.

After wearing it for 5 months, the one small insignia that reads "Multiple Sclerosis" fell off. It is not much more than a decal that I recall from my youth, that we placed on toy models we built when I was a kid.

I found the bracelet easy to size (removing a link is a no-brainer) and the bracelet was always comfortable and easy to put on and remove, and it never changed color nor did the metal stain, but the small emblems on the bracelet are easy to lose. Now I simply have a bracelet with the "medical ID" showing on each side and no specific emblem for my actual medical condition.

This bracelet is $40 delivered here on Amazon but I bought my replacement for $27.75 delivered through "E" bay. MS is such an expensive disease to treat, so save your money and don't buy it for $40 from this seller!

ImogenStudio +Cam Pro Wireless Video Monitoring Camera
ImogenStudio +Cam Pro Wireless Video Monitoring Camera
Price: $69.99
19 used & new from $42.11

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY IT (Trust me and all the other 1 star reviews), December 6, 2014
(EDIT 12-13-2014... Look at all the one star reviews that have been submitted December 2014! This seems to suggest that their camera is coming out of their factory with a defect rendering it useless.)

When removing the package and opening the small instruction booklet, I was excited to read it and see the installation process seemed easy and straight-forward. You plug the AC power supply in to a 120 volt outlet, plug the other end into the camera, flip the small slider switch to "on" and then the camera starts searching for a WIFI signal.

After sitting near (and far) from my Apple Extreme router, this camera was NOT able to find it. I tried several times, placing it anywhere from 20 feet away to 20 inches from my fairly new Apple router (which has performed beyond my expectations and which EVERY other device can find.) I brought the camera home from my office and decided to try to see if it would find my other router, let it set for nearly two hours, tired rebooting my router while the camera was turned on, did't work. I even let it search all night after I went to bed and the next morning it still was not able to find my second router. Then I tried to unplug the camera and power it up and see if it could reboot and find my router, but to no avail.

Their app won't even open on my iPhone 5S, it just spins, I suspect because the camera can't find my router.

I went to the company website to look for an FAQ that might explain what to do when the camera can't locate the WIFI and the website doesn't even have an FAQ "can't find the router" or "what to do to connect to a wireless router." (The FAQa are pretty much worthless anyway, you should look at their website before you consider buying this camera...)

It seems to that with more and more 1 star ratings being added so quickly as of late, this product must have a manufacturing flaw that is rendering it inoperative. Look at all the recent one star ratings and it's obvious this is a flawed piece and is buggy as a 10 day old hot dog that has been laying under the ball park bleachers.

Please note that I returned this for a refund.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2014 6:34 AM PST

Alpine Upholstery Velvet Black Fabric
Alpine Upholstery Velvet Black Fabric
Offered by The Fabric Exchange
Price: $2.79
8 used & new from $2.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Beauty, December 4, 2014
Vastly superior to what I've bought from a local fabric shop. This material has a nice backing that black velvet I've used in the past didn't. I used this to make a small cover on the dash of my car to conceal some wires that go to my dash cam, and the black material has also helped cut down on glare from the top of the dash too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9