Profile for AVSJ > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AVSJ "FlyingBlind" RSS Feed (Maryland)

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this Camera, February 9, 2012
I must say I've read all of the other reviews before purchasing this, so I was warned. Unfortunately, I still had questions after reading the reviews and the only way to answer them was to have a camera in hand.

THe FOSCAM camera brand is not all bad; the indoor cameras are quite worth the money and function superbly. This OUTDOOR camera, however, is one to avoid.

It wasn't particularly difficult to install. All the other reviewers focus on the network setup. I'll say only you have to know your way around your router to be able to make this work wirelessly. No step-by-step procedures from me: they're avialable elsewhere.

My complaint is twofold: the design of the camera and the quality.

As the camera is supposed to be an outdoor camera, I give it an "F" for design. It has a huge tri-purpose cable leaving the back of the camera that cannot be disconnected from the camera. On top of that, it has a massive ethernet jack at the end to plug in to the computer, a jack to connect the decidely INDOOR power supply and a reset button (all connected to the cable). The idea is that you run this all-weather cable INTO your house and if you need to connect to it later you can do it. My question is, How?

I would rather have an easy way to DISCONNECT the cable from the camera and BRING IT INSIDE than have to haul a computer up to my attic to plug it in. Also, I had to drill a 1.25 inch HOLE in the facia to get this monster connector through. Poor poor poor design.

The second complaint is quality. The camera is only 30 feet from the router yet it updates maybe every 3-5 seconds. Not really video as much as a lot of stills. It also has a very narrow field of view that, when mounted under the eaves of my two story house (all the way to the side of the house) it barely allows visibility to the front door stoop centered on the front of the house. To cover my front door and the approach, I actually need 2 or 3 cameras. Very disappointing.

After having it only 2 weeks it also appears to be failing now - not connecting on the network despite many trip up to the attic to press the conveniently located "reset" button.

The fact is, I ordered the two-pack of the camera and one is working like a champ (but 50% is still an 'F' in my book) - although it has inaccessible cable connection because of the difficulty in running the wire into the house (I actually have it connected to a LONG extension cord that hangs down the side of the house into a backyard socket - but I had to DUCT TAPE the indoor power supply to make it all weather.)

I don't know the answer to your question of "What kind of outdoor security camera should I buy", because I'm still looking. The FOSCAM Outdoor Camera didn't meet my expectations and unless you have VERY unique and convenient mounting requirements, you'll be disappointed too.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2013 5:33 PM PDT

iRobot 560 Roomba Vacuuming Robot, Black and Silver
iRobot 560 Roomba Vacuuming Robot, Black and Silver
4 used & new from $319.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Short Life-Span, February 15, 2010
I purchased a used one of these as a gift (requested) for my wife. For the first 3 months we were very satisfied; and then it just stopped working. I bought new batteries, put it through it's computerized reset cycle and spent hours on the line with the manufacturer - to no avail. The presecription was to buy another one! (because we purchased used, there was no warranty from iRobot).

My guess is the device will not stand up to normal use in a moderately sized house. It will clean one room on a charge - if you want your whole house vacuumed, you need to run it every day and it just won't take that kind of use.

A clever idea still waiting for materials that will stand up to the job.