Profile for Michelle > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michelle RSS Feed

Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad
Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad
by Henry Cole
Price: $11.87
64 used & new from $3.14

5.0 out of 5 stars A Catalyst for Discussion, June 7, 2013
It is because this book does not have words that I believe it is perfect for a critical conversation about race and identity in this country. Yes, the little girl is white and her family is white and the slave chasers are white. It is equally true that the runaway slave hiding in the corn is black. The wordlessness of the book affords opportunities to discuss concepts relative to slavery as well as bravery, privilege, race, culture, identity, etc. We can say this book perpetuates various cultural stereotypes but the truth of the matter is... there were brave people, both black and white who risked their lives to do the right thing. Telling another story, one that pits blacks against whites, serves another agenda. As an educator and an advocate, I believe this book would be appropriate in a culturally responsive classroom. Use it as a catalyst for problem-posing or as an invitation for critical inquiry. Why did the author choose a little girl instead of a boy, for example? Invite all children to write their own version - one that empowers them and tells their story. Your students can also retell the story from the slave's perspective. As the author writes..."make this story your own..." If used appropriately and with regard to the cultural identity of the students in one's class, I believe this book could be a powerful tool.

Cuisinart CSB-76TQ SmartStick 200-Watt Immersion Hand Blender, Turquoise
Cuisinart CSB-76TQ SmartStick 200-Watt Immersion Hand Blender, Turquoise
Offered by JAD Products Company LLC.
Price: $99.99
3 used & new from $19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed., May 7, 2012
It's unfortunate that this product only lasted 4 months. I had such high hopes for it after researching immersion blenders extensively. I had a Philips for years that would power through anything but is no longer made. What caused the demise of this blender? A blueberry and not a frozen one. Somehow it got caught between the blade and the wall and completely stripped the poorly designed plastic housing unit where the blade portion and the motor meet. Shouldn't a metal blade be able to easily cut through a tiny piece of fresh fruit?
Four months, that's it! I suppose if you're simply pureeing already cooked soup, you'll be fine but I would not recommend this for smoothies (even un-frozen ones)or for anything un-cooked - those pesky blueberries. Frustrating, to say the least!
On the plus side...the color was cute.

Merrell Women's Barefoot Pure Glove Running Shoe,Castle Rock,9.5 M US
Merrell Women's Barefoot Pure Glove Running Shoe,Castle Rock,9.5 M US

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm loving this shoe!, August 5, 2011
First of all, I hate buying shoes...I hate wearing shoes. If I could get away with being bare foot all day, I would but alas the no-shoe memo has already been buzzing around the work place. It's hard to believe with all the stilleto wearing gals in the building, I would be getting compliments from people - albeit probably just the granola eating, tree-hugging sorts. I'm thrilled with the color - very neutral and versatile. I've paired them with khakis, shorts and casual skirts. I've been told they look like ballerina slippers (by a girl) and ninja butt-kickers (by a guy).
Some reviews have complained about the velcro but I haven't had a problem with mis-alignment or discomfort because of it. They are extremely comfortable although I don't notice a whole lot of difference between these and regular shoes - my body may know on some level but perhaps because I walk around barefoot so often, I don't have to adjust as much (or perhaps there is no difference and I've been duped...cue the dramatic music).
I typically wear a size 9.5 shoe although my feet are closer to 9.25. I went to a store to try these on (they only had bright red and black) before and I was more comfortable in the 9.5 (some have suggested going smaller). They don't fit like a glove but are still pretty secure and I don't feel like I have to worry about my ankles turning as much - a major problem with sneakers higher off the ground - OUCH!!
Overall, I'm thrilled with the shoe and am so happy Merrell and Vibram made the non-5-toe version for us folks with "special" feet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2014 3:13 PM PDT

Fun Literacy Activities for After-school Programs: Books And Beyond
Fun Literacy Activities for After-school Programs: Books And Beyond
by Sue Edwards
28 used & new from $0.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful find!, May 19, 2011
It's a great book for semi-academic out-of-school programs. Not entirely sure it will serve our purposes as is (we have over 3000 students and 285 staff members after school)- but will most definitely act as strong foundation on which to build conversations around literacy. I, personally, would use it for tutoring small groups of children, in a different context, however. The separation of activities by level is especially helpful.Thanks