Profile for D. Matlack > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1915

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Matlack "Guidedog" RSS Feed (in Wild Wyoming)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Wilson Jones Big Mouth Filer, Vertical Orientation, Dark Blue (W68583)
Wilson Jones Big Mouth Filer, Vertical Orientation, Dark Blue (W68583)
Price: $11.99
16 used & new from $9.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy protection and will keep things dry., April 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice durable filer and I really appreciate the removable files as it does improve access to the contents and I can even reorganize the files. It fits nicely in a tote or backpack but it also fits well in my file cabinet. I've been using it to haul my patterns and other crafting ideas with me so when I had an incident in my truck the other day I was pleased that the filer also provided some water-proofing to my papers and photos.

Nice save.

Dex4 Glucose Tablets, Fruit Medley, 100 Count
Dex4 Glucose Tablets, Fruit Medley, 100 Count
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice boost for work outs., April 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not diabetic, but I work out - a lot and I have low blood pressure. I've been popping glucose tablets since they were handed out to us during practice in highschool. I'm one of the many that can't eat even an hour before a workout or I will be sick, however I can pop a few of these as needed before, during and after a workout and the carbs help me out by giving me enough energy to sustain a workout without severe dizziness.

These are the first glucose tablets I have tried that were flavored anything other than orange and I quite like them. The flavors are subtle, not as intense as candy and of course the best part is how quickly they dissolve in my mouth.

Little Demon in the City of Light: A True Story of Murder and Mesmerism in Belle Epoque Paris
by Steven E. Levingston
Price: $19.53
82 used & new from $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling story, but the Detectives and the Forensics of 1889 will Blow your mind, March 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I did thoroughly enjoy this book, I am getting to where I enjoy non-fiction over fiction these days, but I also appreciate when the author takes the time and effort to enliven their writing. Steven Levingston's Little Demon takes more than a page from Erik Larson's Devil in the White City, even the titles, covers and the era are very similar. But I'm not knocking Mr Levingston on this, as Little Demon's Gabrielle Bompard & Michel Eyrand are their own story. The writing style moves along at a heady clip like any good fictional mystery, indeed I had to keep reminding myself that these were real people which taken in to consideration really had me amazed that the murder of Alexandre-Toussaint Gouffe was not only solved but that anyone was actually brought to justice for the crime particularly as it all took place in 1889.

Mr Levinston's core premise is that this was the first trial of its kind to try and use hypnosis as leverage in a defense. And though he does adequately cover the work and arguments of Dr. Jean-Martin Charcot (who felt that there were limits to who could be hypnotized and what an individual could do under hypnosis.) of the Salpetiere Hospital vs. Jules Liegeois whose teachings at the Nancy school prescribed that anyone could commit any crime under the influence of hypnosis. This does present an interesting argument, yet ultimately failed to really have any push in the actual testimony since Gabrielle herself, tho' an excellent candidate for hypnosis and had on previous occasions been induced for both treatment and entertainment claimed that Eyrand had not been able to induce her therefore all claims by her defense lawyer that he had but she could not remember was speculation and hearsay.

But that is what really helped to make this entire trial such a great show. Indeed, this tale really only added to anyone's opinion that the French lack seriousness and live for middling drama and spectacle over truth and justice.

Not so fast!

For me the real gems in this book were the sleuth's, Marie-Francois Goran and Pierre-Fortune Juame, who like the famous fictional Sherlock and Poirot, really did maneuver on intuition, contemplative detail and the sheer tenacity of not giving up on a hunch or a lead. Since this is all before fingerprinting was widely used to identify criminals and DNA & blood work was also non-existent. Nope, this was the day of putting together a scenario via clues (in this case a rotting body miles a way and a very large trunk destroyed in the middle of nowhere next to a riverbank, down stream from the body.)

The other revelation is Dr. Alexandre Lacassagne, the forensics coroner who after three days with Gouffe's body (which by this point had been decaying for four months) and the procedures that he had developed and the use of chemical analysis that was in use to determine Gouffe's identity beyond a shadow of a doubt. It was mind blowing in how amazing this man was and interesting to find that much of this man's discoveries/developments of forensic science is still in use today.

But for every individual that possessed a spark of brilliance there are at least a hundred idiots to round it out.

The other shocking and yet amazing factor to this tale was how much sheer dumb luck, coincidence and after thoughts propelled the story to it's eventual conclusion. This paired with the fact that Gabrielle Bompard and Michel Eyrand, both of whom unquestionably lacked a moral center loved the lime-light and playing dramatic roles for the public proved that it was only a matter of time before their escapades revealed them.

Overall, it is a wild tale that was impossible to put down and led me to some very interesting people. I intend to read up on Goran, Juame & Lacassagne next.

Camco 43542 Bamboo Cutting Board with Finger Hole
Camco 43542 Bamboo Cutting Board with Finger Hole
Price: $10.99
8 used & new from $8.27

3.0 out of 5 stars Very very Small, March 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I realize that I didn't pay attention when I got this and didn't read the dimensions which are roughly 7x7. Seriously this is the size of a dessert plate. As far as a cutting board goes I don't see it as really effective unless you want to cut up a pickle. This is too bad because it is made of bamboo and wood cutting boards are the best.

I would add that this would make a decent serving platter for a cheese spread.

Running with Monsters: A Memoir
Running with Monsters: A Memoir
by Bob Forrest
Price: $18.05
59 used & new from $13.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, but not disappointing, March 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Admittedly when I picked this up I figured it would be more about the ins and outs of rehab therapy from a more clinical perspective. After the first couple of chapters it was obvious that Bob Forrest can tell his story matter of factly without wallowing in emotional details. i.e. Here it is but if you're looking for high drama and tears tune into Oprah - Bob doesn't play the victim.

But this is in fact a memoir, and an interesting one at that. I enjoyed that Bob takes absolute responsibility for his his life and his choices (He doesn't come right out and say it but guess what -that is a key to sobriety. Bob keeps it simple and points out that "It's all up to you.) Bob knows scads of interesting performers and I admit I did resent it that he could tell a story about other people but kept away from salacious details out of respect. (So sue me, we all like a little dirty laundry.) His is still a story worth telling, what the reader takes away is up to them.

Since the book is about Bob's road to sobriety it is remarkable the he (and a few others) are even a live today. While he does not tattle on others he does give pretty good detail on the amount of alcohol and drugs that went around. Seriously, why are they not all dead? It is quite a trek and I'd say overall I wish there was a bit more on his working relationship with Dr. Drew. There are hints that he doesn't quite believe in all of Dr. Drew's methods and even seemed critical of what he termed "replacement therapy" which is basically replacing one addiction for another which just happens to be medically prescribed. I myself take issue with diagnosing an addiction as the result with a personality disorder. Not that Manic depression & schizophrenia are not an issue, but I do think the diagnoses are getting out of hand and that the replacement therapy is being bumped up when some people just need to be clean period.

Perhaps Bob's next book will be more about his opinions/theories on addiction recovery. I'll look forward to that.

Belkin Kindle Keyboard Case for All New Kindle Fire HDX 8.9-Inch
Belkin Kindle Keyboard Case for All New Kindle Fire HDX 8.9-Inch
Price: $99.99
24 used & new from $72.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, easy to use, March 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I picked this up as a gift for a friend and so far they are thrilled with it. The Tablet snaps right into the case (note: this will only fit a 8.9 Kindle HDX. That's it.) and magnetic strips hold the device at a firm angle. the bluetooth connection is seamless (includes power cord), but my friend and even I were impressed with the quality of the keyboard and how fluid they are to the touch. Nothing stiff or cheap about it and very easy to set up.

It's always a good day when you make somebody really happy.

Oxiclean Laundry Detergent, 47 Count
Oxiclean Laundry Detergent, 47 Count
Price: $9.97
8 used & new from $9.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Can now eliminate a few steps when doing laundry., March 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using Oxi-clean in my wash for a few years now as it is better than bleach for disinfecting and getting stains out of clothes. Previously I'd throw half a scoop in paired with my regular laundry detergent, So the chance to eliminate steps and just throw in an Oxi-clean detergent pod in is great. I've been using them in a high efficiency washer and I am happy to report that they dissolve even in cold water. Also the folks in this house have allergy issues with a lot of fragrances used in laundry detergents and softners, not a problem with Oxi-clean.

This is now a must buy for me.

The Devil Inside (Morgan Kingsley, Exorcist, Book 1)
The Devil Inside (Morgan Kingsley, Exorcist, Book 1)
by Jenna Black
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.29
157 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Morgan is one of the most hateful characters ever written, March 14, 2014
What a horrible waste. I admit that I actually finished this awful piece of trash because I, like other reviewers hoped that Morgan would die so that poor Lugh could escape her. Unfortunately she lives, but sorry, Lugh - I just can't go any further. Hope Lugh escapes soon!

This was an odd book in that the demon storyline with Adam, Lugh, Raphel and Dominic had potential. It was ruined by focusing largely on S&M and sex and the shallow development of Morgan. A character so heinous in her behaviour and general idiocy (and yup her stupidity is a big topic of discussion in the book as well.) that the reader finds themselves forced to spend time with a woman so selfish and rotten in every possible way that if she were real you would cross the street to avoid her. Morgan's "strong" personality is so abysmal it makes her romance with sweet, gentlemanly Brian all the more unbelievable.

Typically when a character is this vile they are usually the bad guy. Casting her as the hero is a severe oversight on Ms. Black's part. Punish her by not buying this book. If she wants our money bad enough she'll come up with something better than this stupid little bitch.

Train in Vain
Train in Vain
Offered by SONY Music Entertainment Downloads LLC.
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Who can you count on?, March 11, 2014
This review is from: Train in Vain (MP3 Music)
One of the most satisfying songs ever written about the failures of loyalty. Friends, lovers, co-workers, etc. This pretty much covers anyone who doesn't have your back.

Venum "Kontact" Gel Glove Wraps, Black
Venum "Kontact" Gel Glove Wraps, Black
Price: $17.16
12 used & new from $16.23

3.0 out of 5 stars Light weight fight gloves are not quite one size fits all., March 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are very sturdy and there is a good several feet of wrap for bracing the wrist. I did like that the palm is open to cut back on sweaty palms. My only issue is that these are clearly one size fits all neoprene which is not particularly known for its give. My palms are a bit long to wear them comfortably without the fingers digging in. Otherwise this is a pretty good fight glove.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20